Value of: Taylor Hall's next contract

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That's not how that happened... we never even offered a contract.
The devil's tried to engage talks and the gap was so big and he made it known to shero he wanted a big contract elsewhere, then shero decided to move him for assets without wasting time with contract offers. After the hart season they wanted to resign him but he priced himself out and claimed he wanted to play for a winner. There were articles done on this in the past unless I'm remembering it all wrong but I don't think so

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The devil's tried to engage talks and the gap was so big and he made it known to shero he wanted a big contract elsewhere, then shero decided to move him for assets without wasting time with contract offers. After the hart season they wanted to resign him but he priced himself out. There were articles done on this in the past unless I'm remembering it all wrong but I don't think so
I'm 99% Shero said they never offered a contract but it's moot at this point. Regardless if the interest was mutual than yes, he royally screwed himself by not signing then. He'll never get the deal he would've back then in this climate.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm 99% Shero said they never offered a contract but it's moot at this point. Regardless if the interest was mutual than yes, he royally screwed himself by not signing then. He'll never get the deal he would've back then in this climate.
Taylor Hall: Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered a contract

Shero felt he wasn't going to resign coming off the hart win. Hall screwed himself out of an 8 year cash in off the hart and now he's probably going to get half as much going forward after the past couple years and the now known flat cap. Guy messed up. Even this year took the higher dollar short term banking on himself and the season has blown up on him. Guys career has just been followed with a cloud

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably cost himself in the neighborhood of 10 million signing that contract with the Sabres. Thought it was a really bad idea since the rumors of him considering a 1 year deal came out and nothing has changed my mind since.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
He won't sign for 5M X 4 years. Not at all. Hell, he wants to go back to Edmonton, and they could possible afford him at 5M per.

He had the injury concerns and COVID concerns when he signed his 8M deal last summer. You think his value has tanked to the point where he has to settle for nearly half of that?

He wants to go to Edmonton because he knows he can leach off of McD/Drai, who wouldn't want that to try getting a bigger contract?
No worries, a lot of UFA's are going to take a hit

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I have no idea how teams will approach free agency this season but I have a feeling that Hall won't get much bigger of an offer than maybe 8m for 3 years. However my guess for the contract will be 7.5m for 2 years. Although he has had a few down years, he is still the type of offensive star some teams covet.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d be okay bringing him back $5 million per 1-3 years his choice. If someone wants to offer him 6-7+ million per with long term have at it

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
A few broken teeth is nothing, no brain to worry about so no reason he shouldn't be back.
Are you saying his concussion baseline was flat?
Seriously though, the look on his face was scary. I was thinking jaw fracture. It looked so bad. I get Chara coming back out for the playoffs but Hall is coming back out for a horrible team in the middle of an epic losong streak. All the reason in the world to take the rest of the night off. I've never been a fan but I gotta hand it to him here.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Are you saying his concussion baseline was flat?
Seriously though, the look on his face was scary. I was thinking jaw fracture. It looked so bad. I get Chara coming back out for the playoffs but Hall is coming back out for a horrible team in the middle of an epic losong streak. All the reason in the world to take the rest of the night off. I've never been a fan but I gotta hand it to him here.
What I was saying is he's been brain dead since his 2nd last season in Edmonton so a puck to the head is of little consequence.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yep, Barrie is doing it right. He should be able to cash in for a team desperate for a RHD PMD
Except Barrie didn’t sign with a contender

He signed to leech off points from mcDrai

good luck with him if you don’t have one of those

Hall did similar thing with Eichel, it just didn’t work as he expected

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Taylor Hall: Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered a contract

Shero felt he wasn't going to resign coming off the hart win. Hall screwed himself out of an 8 year cash in off the hart and now he's probably going to get half as much going forward after the past couple years and the now known flat cap. Guy messed up. Even this year took the higher dollar short term banking on himself and the season has blown up on him. Guys career has just been followed with a cloud
Hall could not sign a contract coming off the Hart season. He was first eligible to resign with the Devils after the 18-19 season that ended early for Hall due to the knee injury.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Hall could not sign a contract coming off the Hart season. He was first eligible to resign with the Devils after the 18-19 season that ended early for Hall due to the knee injury.
I think you took what I said too literally. I wasn't referring to a date, I was referring to his status around the league and with the devils. He was an mvp, and he overplayed that hand bc the devils and many probably wouldve written off 18-19 as injury based season that was still over a point a game. After that season he still couldve cashed in on that hart season with the devils and landed an 8 year deal but he overplayed his hand.

The basic premise of the post(s) is if he had negotiated an 8 year deal with the devils he would have cashed in substantially more than anything he is going to get now over that same 8 year period (this current season plus whatever he makes for the next 7 years). I dont think anyone can rationally argue that based on where league finances looked to be going at the time, cap projections, and his production and his status around the league as an mvp vs where league finances are right now, a prolonged flat cap, and what has happened with hall production wise since he left NJ.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I think you took what I said too literally. I wasn't referring to a date, I was referring to his status around the league and with the devils. He was an mvp, and he overplayed that hand bc the devils and many probably wouldve written off 18-19 as injury based season that was still over a point a game. After that season he still couldve cashed in on that hart season with the devils and landed an 8 year deal but he overplayed his hand.

The basic premise of the post(s) is if he had negotiated an 8 year deal with the devils he would have cashed in substantially more than anything he is going to get now over that same 8 year period (this current season plus whatever he makes for the next 7 years). I dont think anyone can rationally argue that based on where league finances looked to be going at the time, cap projections, and his production and his status around the league as an mvp vs where league finances are right now, a prolonged flat cap, and what has happened with hall production wise since he left NJ.
The Devils wanted to see him play after the knee injury. Right out of Halls mouth.

“It seems like both sides are OK with going into camp and into the season without a new contract," Hall said. "It’s really only in the last few years where there’s this whole paranoia about players playing the last season of their contract. So, we have a lot of time. I’m coming off a season where I played 33 games. I think, from the Devils’ perspective and maybe from Ray’s -- I don’t want to speak for him -- but I think they want to see me play and see how I do and see how I fit in with the team and I’m just as excited to see that as well.”

Here’s what Devils’ Taylor Hall, Ray Shero said about forward’s contract talks - nj.com

IMO his knee injury cost him millions because no one has offered him a long term, big money contract since it happend

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Devils wanted to see him play after the knee injury. Right out of Halls mouth.

“It seems like both sides are OK with going into camp and into the season without a new contract," Hall said. "It’s really only in the last few years where there’s this whole paranoia about players playing the last season of their contract. So, we have a lot of time. I’m coming off a season where I played 33 games. I think, from the Devils’ perspective and maybe from Ray’s -- I don’t want to speak for him -- but I think they want to see me play and see how I do and see how I fit in with the team and I’m just as excited to see that as well.”

Here’s what Devils’ Taylor Hall, Ray Shero said about forward’s contract talks - nj.com

IMO his knee injury cost him millions because no one has offered him a long term, big money contract since it happend
I earlier linked an article directly quoting shero after he was fired, why are we arguing this?

Do you honestly believe hall makes more money now than he would have resigning with nj for 8 years?? Because that is what my original comment was about.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I earlier linked an article directly quoting shero after he was fired, why are we arguing this?

Do you honestly believe hall makes more money now than he would have resigning with nj for 8 years?? Because that is what my original comment was about.
NJ never offered him an 8 year deal. Obviously if a team hypothetically offered him an 8 year deal he should have taken it. But no one ever did. The link you put up is titled:
Why NJ Devils' Ray Shero never offered Taylor Hall a contract

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Hall is currently on a one year by 8M contract, and through 27 games with the Sabres he has 2 goals and 16 points. He had hopes of betting on himself this year and signing a big (10+ mill?) contract this off season. But that's not looking likely at all. If things continue the way they do, what do you guys think he'll get this off-season?

In a COVID flat-cap world, and with the dismal year he's had and his injury history, I think he would be lucky to get 7x7.

Next year go to a rising team that has a good C, that scores.
Maybe back to the Devils? Hishier and Hughes are going to be getting into their primes, and they need scoring. He is still a big step above Wood, Palmiere and Johnson.

Nashville makes a ton of sense if they move on from Forsberg. Hall will sign for under what he is currently making, and they will have a hole at 1LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad