Value of: Tavares to Toronto

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I caught the moment where you can see the collective hearts of Leafs fans being broken.

giphy.gif

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The whole point of the Leafs rebuild is so we can finally have our own core to grow (like we should have done a long time ago) and have the players you just don't get.

So the Duchene/Getzlaf/Stamkos/Tavares/Stastny whatever threads can end.

Take care of your own house if you want success.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The whole point of the Leafs rebuild is so we can finally have our own core to grow (like we should have done a long time ago) and have the players you just don't get.

That is the idea, but Toronto fans want the easy way out every UFA year. It's like a running joke. I wanted Toronto to sign Stamkos. It would be so predictable. He'd put up 50 or 60 points while earning $10 million a year.

Auston Matthews as a base for the Leafs isn't good enough. Islanders fans were just happy they drafted Tavares instead of Duchene in his draft year.

Toronto isn't for every player. I think Tavares is happy that he can lead a semi-normal life on Long Island after being in the spotlight in the OHL. He's a private, quiet guy. He can go grocery shopping at Whole Foods with only one or two people recognizing him. He couldn't do that in Toronto.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015

I caught the moment where you can see the collective hearts of Leafs fans being broken.

giphy.gif

He's given everything he's got to nyi....and what have they done for him? I smell a Lebron move to Toronto for 3-4 years, winning a cup then back to the long island for redemption

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
He's given everything he's got to nyi....and what have they done for him? I smell a Lebron move to Toronto for 3-4 years, winning a cup then back to the long island for redemption
Except you don't see this Lebron stuff happen very often in the NHL.... Players recognize that NHL squads are bigger, that depth is much more important, and it's more of a team sport. You don't see people, especially a team's captain, ditch the team to hop on the bandwagon of a riser. Stamkos was an exceptional case, and he was leaving a Cup contender. Tavares isn't going anywhere unless Garth Snow gets exceptionally high.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

Yup, because Toronto is a Tavares away from becoming a super team, and the Islanders now are as bad as the Cavaliers were in 2009. The parallels are crazy!

Mad Brills*

Again, what is with the mystical ******** and obession some teams fans have with bringing a home town guy back? Does it matter where he's from. Get the best players possible.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What interest do a rebuilding Leafs team (particularly one with Matthews on the prospect t pool) trade prime assets for an expensive vet?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

A lebron move would be if he went to CHI. Tavares going to TOR would be the equivalent of lebron going to the Hornets.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I must agree. he will be the new Mats Sundin.

Lmao how does this even make sense.
Sundin didn't go home to Sweden. Vancouver didn't win a cup and Sundin didn't come back to play in toronto.

You tried and I guess that's all that matters.

Some.of you Islanders fans seem pretty insecure. All it takes is a few bait posts to send you guys in a frenzy but you ignore the posts from Leaf fans saying Tavares will stay in long Island and that he likes it there etc.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
It would have to be Matthews+. Remember, this isn't just a hockey trade. Tavares is the face of the franchise, the savior. If they trade him, they need someone to fill that void, to appear in ads, to sell tickets with his face alone, etc. So it can't be Marner, Reilly, Nylander, etc. It has to be Matthews or no one, because Matthews has name value.

This is why the Isles would be crazy to even contemplate this trade in the first place, unless...

Unless he doesn't sign an extension this season. Not next season by trade deadline, but this year. If he is serious about wanting to be an Islander for life, then ask him to name his price, and get business done immediately. Isles can't take a chance that he leaves for nothing, and can't trade him at reduced value at the 2018 trade deadline. It would have to be now. And really, if that happens, unless the return includes a piece like Matthews, that franchise is sunk.

This was supposed to be era when the years of rebuilding finally paid off. Okposo and Neilson left, their D of the future, Reinhardt, was traded, Dal Colle is looking more and more like a bust, but they still have Tavares and were able to sign Ladd and draft Barzal, so things are still looking up. Tavares leaves or gets traded and the rebuild starts over? In addition to their continuing arena crisis? Forget it. They might as well relocate at that point.

This is why Snow has to offer Tavares a blank check ASAP. It's not just about hockey.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Sundin didn't go home to Sweden. Vancouver didn't win a cup and Sundin didn't come back to play in toronto.

Some.of you Islanders fans seem pretty insecure. All it takes is a few bait posts to send you guys in a frenzy but you ignore the posts from Leaf fans saying Tavares will stay in long Island and that he likes it there etc.

I think what he's saying that even though the Leafs were never that great though Sundin's prime, he still stayed with the Leafs until the tail end of his career. Sundin only left for Vancouver as a 40 year old and his one last chance at a Stanley Cup. But for the high majority of his career, he chose to stay where he loved, which was Toronto (I bet he would have stayed in Quebec if the Nordiques traded Sakic instead, Sundin was clearly a loyal guy). Tavares will do the same thing with Long Island.

We're not insecure, nobody is really scared of losing Tavares except the Negative Nancy's. What we really hate is Maple Leafs fans who look down on us. There's no reason to do that. We're ignoring the Leafs fans who say he'll stay because it doesn't warrant a response. Do you want us to say thank you?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Toronto fans acting like arrogant trolls = "They're just bait posts, relax"

Islander fans responding to arrogant trolls = "Wow you guys are so insecure, you should really calm down from this frenzy."

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

See below.

I think what he's saying that even though the Leafs were never that great though Sundin's prime, he still stayed with the Leafs until the tail end of his career. Sundin only left for Vancouver as a 40 year old and his one last chance at a Stanley Cup. But for the high majority of his career, he chose to stay where he loved, which was Toronto (I bet he would have stayed in Quebec if the Nordiques traded Sakic instead, Sundin was clearly a loyal guy). Tavares will do the same thing with Long Island.

We're not insecure, nobody is really scared of losing Tavares except the Negative Nancy's. What we really hate is Maple Leafs fans who look down on us. There's no reason to do that. We're ignoring the Leafs fans who say he'll stay because it doesn't warrant a response. Do you want us to say thank you?

Toronto fans acting like arrogant trolls = "They're just bait posts, relax"

Islander fans responding to arrogant trolls = "Wow you guys are so insecure, you should really calm down from this frenzy."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad