Value of: Tavares to Toronto

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
At 100 points, we finished four points out of 2nd place in the conference (#2 Pittsburgh finished with 104). We finished 7 points ahead of Boston, (93 points) and that's including the game everyone knows we tanked so we wouldn't have to face Pittsburgh in the opening round. As an Islander fan, at no point during those last 10 games did I for a second fear missing the playoffs.

I think you need to go back to making up stories about how terrible the Islanders are going to be next season because arguing in reality doesn't appear to be your strong suit.
Yet they were the second wildcard team. Had Boston not blown it so bad towards the end it would have been extremely close.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
At 100 points, we finished four points out of 2nd place in the conference (#2 Pittsburgh finished with 104). We finished 7 points ahead of Boston, (93 points) and that's including the game everyone knows we tanked so we wouldn't have to face Pittsburgh in the opening round. As an Islander fan, at no point during those last 10 games did I for a second fear missing the playoffs.

I think you need to go back to making up stories about how terrible the Islanders are going to be next season because arguing in reality doesn't appear to be your strong suit.

If only the Oilers were in the East.... then maybe they would finish out of the bottom and win their division.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Then the Bruins would have made the playoffs and we would still be 7 points ahead of Detroit.
If the roles were exactly reveresed sure. Philly's was only two wins from tying them as well. A lot of things could have happened. There was a race at the end and the islanders had to win a lot of key games and pick up some big OT points to make it happen. That's a fact not an opinion. This year the team is worse. Losing Nielson and Okposo and Lee will hurt them. Replacing them with older worse players like Ladd and Chimera isn't enough to offset that. I doubt they make it this year. Especially if injuries hit them. Don't get me wrong I hope they do. I like the franchise but once again I'm left wondering what snow is doing.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If the roles were exactly reveresed sure. Philly's was only two wins from tying them as well. A lot of things could have happened. There was a race at the end and the islanders had to win a lot of key games and pick up some big OT points to make it happen. That's a fact not an opinion. This year the team is worse. Losing Nielson and Okposo and Lee will hurt them. Replacing them with older worse players like Ladd and Chimera isn't enough to offset that. I doubt they make it this year. Especially if injuries hit them. Don't get me wrong I hope they do. I like the franchise but once again I'm left wondering what snow is doing.

It's hard to take you seriously as an expert of the Islanders when you think Anders Lee left as a free agent.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It's hard to take you seriously as an expert of the Islanders when you think Anders Lee left as a free agent.

People don't understand that the Islanders have been good because of their defense, goaltending and Tavares. I'd argue that the defense is even better this coming season.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Whatever I mixed him up with Martin who cares

You have no idea who is actually on the team but still feel confident enough to post your opinions as to how badly the Islanders will suck next year, how you doubt we'll make the playoffs, and how you expect Tavares to be counting down the days til free agency.

I mean, I don't know much about the Coyotes, doesn't mean I'm going into Coyotes threads and telling them what the deal is with their team.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
You know you guys get baited when people reference your failure to lure Stamkos, your hometown hero, your savior, and Canadian boy extraordinaire.

You're right though. Tons of people keep being insensitive, saying the same stupid joke over and over. It's definitely not like Toronto fanboys are asking for it by literally calling for Tavares to Toronto less than a month after they lost out on their original big fish.

What's that? You didn't wanna sign him? Well, ****. Apparently the major of Toronto should have consoled with you before he went to meet with Stamkos. They could have saved so much time and embarrassment had they heeded your advice, Mr. Gavy.
Ok? Read my posts. I know tavares will cost a lot. I know he isn't leaving the Islanders. I've never said the Leafs were getting Stamkos or Tavares.

I've never commented on the "major of Toronto" meeting with Stamkos. (Btw I think you meant consulted with me)
I haven't said anyhing about Toronto not wanting Stamkos.

Also, why are you talking about sensitivity? Are you projecting? Your little rant seems to indicate you're getting some hurt feelings here.

Do you feel better?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You have no idea who is actually on the team but still feel confident enough to post your opinions as to how badly the Islanders will suck next year, how you doubt we'll make the playoffs, and how you expect Tavares to be counting down the days til free agency.

I mean, I don't know much about the Coyotes, doesn't mean I'm going into Coyotes threads and telling them what the deal is with their team.
Yeah I mix up two names therefore I have NO IDEA who's on the team. I mean not a freaking clue. Get real.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Stamkos timing wasn't right, and we don't want Vesey. But we'll take Tavares. Then McDavid.

Since when do we not want Vesey? I think he is overrated and I wouldn't be too upset of he signs somewhere else but we definitely aren't going to turn down a free young asset who has top 6 upside

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa

Yikes. Talk about an overreaction

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yikes. Talk about an overreaction

Overreaction? He's literally talking about how badly the Islanders will suck next year, how he doubts we'll make the playoffs, and how Tavares will leave as a free agent. I admit when I exaggerate to make a point, but if you reread the last 2-3 pages or so that's exactly what the guy is saying.

Don't be an uninformed troll running around saying how badly my team is going to suck when you spell Frans Nielsen's name "Nielson" and think Anders Lee left in free agency. Don't be the uninformed idiot who barely knows what's happening with another hockey team but still feels compelled to share trollbait opinions. They simply have no place in the conversation.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Just finished listening to JT being interviewed on Toronto Sports Radio Sportsnet 590 by Andrew Walker. Obviously he asked John the silly speculative question that's been floating around:

Andrew: "So, in two years when you come to Toronto, whats the part about joining the Leafs that you're most excited about?"

JT: *laughs* "I'm not going to be going anywhere. I've always showed my commitment to the Islanders and the best players tend to spend their careers in one place, and I want that"

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Since when do we not want Vesey? I think he is overrated and I wouldn't be too upset of he signs somewhere else but we definitely aren't going to turn down a free young asset who has top 6 upside

Well, at the risk of going off topic, Vesey isn't from Toronto and has no reason to sign here over anywhere else. In fact, it's a disadvantage that his brother is already in our system. Jimmy won't want to show up his brother Nolan by making the very same team that his brother can't crack. He saves a lot of family headache by signing with any of the other 29 teams besides Toronto.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Well, at the risk of going off topic, Vesey isn't from Toronto and has no reason to sign here over anywhere else. In fact, it's a disadvantage that his brother is already in our system. Jimmy won't want to show up his brother Nolan by making the very same team that his brother can't crack. He saves a lot of family headache by signing with any of the other 29 teams besides Toronto.
All that is fine, but if given the choice of having him sign here, I'm taking that option.

Can this thread close? Tavares is staying with the Isles. Only way I see him leaving is if he signs there long term and at the end of that contract he still hasn't won the cup and the Isles aren't cup contenders, then he may move on.

Right now hrs staying indefinitely.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
All that is fine, but if given the choice of having him sign here, I'm taking that option.

Can this thread close? Tavares is staying with the Isles. Only way I see him leaving is if he signs there long term and at the end of that contract he still hasn't won the cup and the Isles aren't cup contenders, then he may move on.

Right now hrs staying indefinitely.

Vesey is small potatoes. Sure make a phone call, but who cares, really. I was responding to someone who can't wait to throw it in our faces once we don't get Vesey. As if it's worth laughing over.

As for Tavares, good for him if he stays with the Isles. Not that an interview by Tavares today means anything either way since I wouldn't expect him to say anything else in public, but I'd be happy enough if he is a lifer with NYI. In the context of a Leafs fan, I know that UFAs will always be around the corner for Toronto when the time is right.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Vesey is small potatoes. Sure make a phone call, but who cares, really. I was responding to someone who can't wait to throw it in our faces once we don't get Vesey. As if it's worth laughing over.

As for Tavares, good for him if he stays with the Isles. Not that an interview by Tavares today means anything either way since I wouldn't expect him to say anything else in public, but I'd be happy enough if he is a lifer with NYI. In the context of a Leafs fan, I know that UFAs will always be around the corner for Toronto when the time is right.

I think Vesey is overrated, I'm just saying it'd be nice to get a free wallet who had top 6 upside and size. Won't be made when he likely signs somewhere else ( unless it's Chicago. **** Chicago )

I've always thought Tavares will stay with the Isles. He took a team frindly deal and showed he was loyal. He wants to win there.

I think UFA's will sign here when we make the playoffs and show we have the pics to contend. Players like Matthews attract talent.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I think Vesey is overrated, I'm just saying it'd be nice to get a free wallet who had top 6 upside and size. Won't be made when he likely signs somewhere else ( unless it's Chicago. **** Chicago )

I've always thought Tavares will stay with the Isles. He took a team frindly deal and showed he was loyal. He wants to win there.

I think UFA's will sign here when we make the playoffs and show we have the pics to contend. Players like Matthews attract talent.

Vesey is extremely overrated, agreed. He's not going to be anything special in the NHL. I bet he's out of the league in 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad