Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My thoughts were that some other teams will offer something better than a late 1st. Why not 'thin the herd' so to speak with regards to our prospects...give guys that may have value now, that in a couple of years may not have any due to depth and an inability to crack this roster.
A (crapshoot) 1st and a guy like Thompson or Stevens is nothing in the grand scheme of things...if JT signs. I figured the proposal would go over like a lead balloon...but i'd say there's a very good chance of JT's rights being traded at this point. I'd rather it be to STL than not...even if the costs is not insignificant.
I strongly disagree. Thompson+1sts gets you another contributing roster player. I'm not Thompsons biggest fan but throwing him in with value comparable to Steven's is odd. There's just no way Tavares rights returns that.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The more I think about it and see other people talking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Nashville lands him. Poile is a wizard with the cap, he could go to a team that could rival some of the great modern day dynasties. If he wants to win now and for a while, that would make sense to put them at the top of the list.

With Army's conference yesterday, I think this team is in a bit of turmoil right now, and that would have to weigh on his decision. I originally thought the Blues would be a top tier for JT, but I think they've sunk a bit to secondary tier.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
how would Nashville fit in JT, having just signed Johansen, Turris & Arvidsson...and owing big bucks to Subban & Forsberg with a few RFA to take care of...not to mention new deals coming up for Ellis & Josi in the coming two offseasons? The Preds are one team I'd remove from the Tavares sweepstakes, unless Poile moves out a big salary in the process.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
how would Nashville fit in JT, having just signed Johansen, Turris & Arvidsson...and owing big bucks to Subban & Forsberg with a few RFA to take care of...not to mention new deals coming up for Ellis & Josi in the coming two offseasons? The Preds are one team I'd remove from the Tavares sweepstakes, unless Poile moves out a big salary in the process.
Because they will trade guys they just signed to open up space....according to their fans. I dont even see Nashville making an offer to Tavares. Sometimes your just happy with what you've got

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Predators have 19 players signed next season and ~$12m in cap space. Add Tavares and the other players they need to sign are depth guys.

They need to sign Ellis and Josi in coming seasons... but they also have Dante Fabbro ready to come up. They can trade one, or Subban, since they don't have NTC issues. Rinne has a year left on his deal and will be 37 at the start of his next one, he'll likely be getting less than $7m.

If the cap takes another jump with the addition of Seattle, then they have few issues.

They have a GM who is aggressive with contract extensions when he is confident in what a player is. Forsberg, Arvidsson, Josi, Ekholm and Ellis are all great deals because of that. Then they draft well.

Getting Tavares and moving Bonino makes sense.

All of that said... Poile loves defence. There was talk of them kicking the tyres on Karlsson. I'm not sure they make the sacrifice at the back end to add another expensive forward.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The more I think about it and see other people talking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Nashville lands him. Poile is a wizard with the cap, he could go to a team that could rival some of the great modern day dynasties. If he wants to win now and for a while, that would make sense to put them at the top of the list.

With Army's conference yesterday, I think this team is in a bit of turmoil right now, and that would have to weigh on his decision. I originally thought the Blues would be a top tier for JT, but I think they've sunk a bit to secondary tier.
Things change quickly within a year.

Last year Edmonton was slated as a powerhouse.

Colorado was in a tail spin and Sakic was a moron

Stan Bowman was a savvy GM and Panarin was a product of Kane.

Etc etc....

If JT is open to come here. He's looking at a larger view then this season and next. You plug a PPG center centerman into the lineup and things change very quickly. The fixes for the Blues aren't magical and require acquiring players that aren't available or waiting for long shot prospects to pan out.

Reactions: Bluesguru

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
For the sake of Blues remaining an attractive landing spot. You gotta hope other possible landing spots that made the playoffs do not make any deep runs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think another factor will be how aggressive Armstrong presents himself as. If he presents a philosophy that he will be ultra aggressive over a 3-5yr window to upgrade the team, I think that will weigh in on persuading UFAs.

Reactions: mk80

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
^ Solid point.

I definitely think Armstrong makes another splash at the draft this year. Like I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't. I can't really recall any other year that he's been so transparent about using our 1st round pick as trade bait like he has with Winnipeg's 1st this year. Usually he's vague and plays things close to the chest but he's made some comments that make it very obvious to me he's banking on moving that in a package for a top 6 forward. And it makes sense because our prospect pool is already strong.

So, right off the bat, we likely have a new player and a better roster to present to Tavares than we currently have today.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
^ Solid point.

I definitely think Armstrong makes another splash at the draft this year. Like I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't. I can't really recall any other year that he's been so transparent about using our 1st round pick as trade bait like he has with Winnipeg's 1st this year. Usually he's vague and plays things close to the chest but he's made some comments that make it very obvious to me he's banking on moving that in a package for a top 6 forward. And it makes sense because our prospect pool is already strong.

So, right off the bat, we likely have a new player and a better roster to present to Tavares than we currently have today.

Exactly. Every bit of tangible evidence we have points to another show stealing trade at the draft by Armstrong only now he has more motivation than ever to include one of our forward prospects in the trade. When he makes a big splash trade it will resonate with Tavares that he's taking proactive steps to make the Blues better. Obviously Tavares may still sign elsewhere but the perception of the Blues will be positive leaguewide heading into Free Agency and that's exactly the kind of message we need.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
What are the odds of them going back and getting Stastny on a much friendly, retire here type of contract? The only issue is finding teammates that mesh with him as Tarasenko didn't. But, if I recall, didn't Fabbri really do well with him last year? Maybe a Fabbri/Stastny/Kyrou line would be interesting.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What are the odds of them going back and getting Stastny on a much friendly, retire here type of contract? The only issue is finding teammates that mesh with him as Tarasenko didn't. But, if I recall, didn't Fabbri really do well with him last year? Maybe a Fabbri/Stastny/Kyrou line would be interesting.
The only person who knows the answer to that question is Stastny. It likely depends on how much interest Winnipeg has in bringing him back, whether his family wants to live in the US or Canada, and what exactly the numbers are to a "team friendly' deal. I'd wager the money most people here would consider 'team friendly' is about $2 mil less than he can get on the open market.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Looking at the Jet's salary cap, next year will be an interesting year Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps They have a lot of contracts coming up, especially in the RFA group. Lots of raises coming due, and then Wheeler is UFA the next year. I don't know if they want to tie up the cap space for Stastny unless he signs a $4-4.5m deal or less with them and even then, term may be an issue.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Much friendlier? If Stastny is back then I'd imagine that he'll be getting very similar to the Steen contract.

It's fine to think that we have Schenn in the top-6, Stastny can be the #2C for a couple of years and then the #3C when Thomas moves up... but that's optimistic. We know what we are with Stastny in the top-6. I'd rather not just go for the safe option.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Much friendlier? If Stastny is back then I'd imagine that he'll be getting very similar to the Steen contract.

It's fine to think that we have Schenn in the top-6, Stastny can be the #2C for a couple of years and then the #3C when Thomas moves up... but that's optimistic. We know what we are with Stastny in the top-6. I'd rather not just go for the safe option.
Who would you see would be available without putting the club into a hole at another position? The UFA crowd is pretty unappealing in my opinion.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Things change quickly within a year.

Last year Edmonton was slated as a powerhouse.

Colorado was in a tail spin and Sakic was a moron

Stan Bowman was a savvy GM and Panarin was a product of Kane.

Etc etc....

If JT is open to come here. He's looking at a larger view then this season and next. You plug a PPG center centerman into the lineup and things change very quickly. The fixes for the Blues aren't magical and require acquiring players that aren't available or waiting for long shot prospects to pan out.

I like the sentiment, it would be nice if it pans out.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Who would you see would be available without putting the club into a hole at another position? The UFA crowd is pretty unappealing in my opinion.
I don't think there is anyone that is absolutely going to be available. There are reasons that Tyler Johnson and RNH could be available.

I doubt the Rangers would trade Hayes, but Namestnikov might be available. Wennberg has been disappointing this season in Columbus and Jarmo likes to be bold. It's just whether you believe those guys are 50+ point centres going forward.

Outside of that it is probably players you hope to convert to centre, like Strome or Galchenyuk.

Hopefully Boston can beat Tampa, make it more likely that Tyler Johnson is available.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I wonder what the long play on Tyler Johnson is from SY's point of view. If he can trade that salary away, does that allow him to go after Karlsson? Rangers are still pretty high on Hayes so I doubt that without an overpayment. Is Galchenyuk in the dog house in Montreal or has he settled into a normal line? I thought he was being moved around a lot during the season from second to fourth line.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't think there is anyone that is absolutely going to be available. There are reasons that Tyler Johnson and RNH could be available.

I doubt the Rangers would trade Hayes, but Namestnikov might be available. Wennberg has been disappointing this season in Columbus and Jarmo likes to be bold. It's just whether you believe those guys are 50+ point centres going forward.

Outside of that it is probably players you hope to convert to centre, like Strome or Galchenyuk.

Hopefully Boston can beat Tampa, make it more likely that Tyler Johnson is available.

Is there any 1-year band aid that could tide us over until next years UFA crop, or at least until a deadline trade and sign. There are some really good UFAs that may be available next year, and I doubt all of them will re-sign. Couture, Pavelski, Duchene, Seguin, and Brassard. Then there are some less good options (lower-end, wingers who can play center and older players) like Dzingel, Marcus Johannson, Anders Lee, Henrique, Gourde, Staal, and Spezza. Many will re-sign with their teams, but a few could be available.

For example, if Thornton is healthy, doesn't retire and the Sharks don't want him back, we pay him a big 1-yr payday and acquire a Top 6 winger in trade for Sobotka+ WPG 1st + Prospect. For this example, I am using Hoffman, but put who you want.

Fabbri - Thornton - Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn - Hoffman
Steen - Thomas - Berglund
Sosh - Brodziak - Jaskin

Then trade 1st + other good prospect + B prospect + 3rd for Duchene (in this example, but use your choice) at 50% retained, immediately sign him to a 6 year deal.

Fabbri - Duchene - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Trade Pick-up
Steen - Thornton - Thomas
Berglund - Brodziak - Jaskin/Sosh

After the playoffs, Thornton retires, we have Duchene-Schenn-Thomas down the middle and can slide Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin into that 3rd line winger role.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't want Stastny back at all. He's pretty blah to be quite honest. Yeah at the end of the year he'll have his 50 points but I wouldn't consider him a difference maker. He's slow and can be invisible far too often. Also soon to turn 33 after the season starts, and it's just not a good plan to go back to what's the "safe" route. Let's try something new and see where it gets us.

I think the Blues are ultimately going to have to go the trade route. We have the assets, it's really just a matter of finding a player that we can get with primarily futures rather than a guy like Edmundson. I think this probably takes us out of the race on a few players like ROR or Reinhart from Buffalo, and RNH.

So who does that leave as potentially realistic options? Well Tyler Johnson is certainly an intriguing option. Matt Duchene may be the guy we actually need to start looking at from Ottawa instead of a winger. Alex Galchenyuk is a wild card, I may be willing to take a chance on him. And Alex Wennberg isn't the worst idea I've heard but also wouldn't be my top choice as he doesn't score many goals.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

I wonder what the long play on Tyler Johnson is from SY's point of view. If he can trade that salary away, does that allow him to go after Karlsson? Rangers are still pretty high on Hayes so I doubt that without an overpayment. Is Galchenyuk in the dog house in Montreal or has he settled into a normal line? I thought he was being moved around a lot during the season from second to fourth line.

I think Galchenyuk given the opportunity he could thrive here, he still put up 51 points this season for the Canadiens which is his second best year as far as points are concerned. I'm not sure how the season played out for him as I didn't follow Montreal too closely but early in the season he definitely was in the dog house on the 4th or 3rd lines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was used on the wing a lot this season. Either way I think he could definitely provide that shot in the arm for our top 6 whether you use him as a center or not, maybe even as winger on the 2nd line that allows Steen to shuffle to the 3rd line. Alex Galchenyuk

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I didn't watch him much toward the end of the year, but Galchenyuk's defensive game is, to put it very kindly, not good. It's why he's perpetually on the **** list of his coaches, and it's why nobody wants to play him at center.

I have a lot of trouble believing Armstrong and company could imagine him as a fit for what they are trying to do.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Lots of good discussion here. I agree that if we want Tavares we should be aggressive and portray our desire to win. Army addressed this in the press conference, saying that the ownership group wants to win and pays to the cap just like the 'big market' teams. If he can get Ed to sign below $4mil for 3+ years and move a contract like Berglund, I could see him pursuing Tavares with the best deal.

Other than perhaps next offseason, there really couldn't be a better time for the Blues to have the opportunity to sign a legit elite C in his prime through free agency. Over the next few years we have a great group of prospects coming up or ready to trade, contracts going out, and a good core group of players in their 20s.

If Army doesn't sign Tavares, I hope it's because he made a substantial trade or two.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think the Karlsson ship sailed when they got McDonagh. Karlsson is likely going to be dealt to a team that will extend him this summer.
Is there any 1-year band aid that could tide us over until next years UFA crop, or at least until a deadline trade and sign. There are some really good UFAs that may be available next year, and I doubt all of them will re-sign. Couture, Pavelski, Duchene, Seguin, and Brassard. Then there are some less good options (lower-end, wingers who can play center and older players) like Dzingel, Marcus Johannson, Anders Lee, Henrique, Gourde, Staal, and Spezza. Many will re-sign with their teams, but a few could be available.

For example, if Thornton is healthy, doesn't retire and the Sharks don't want him back, we pay him a big 1-yr payday and acquire a Top 6 winger in trade for Sobotka+ WPG 1st + Prospect. For this example, I am using Hoffman, but put who you want.

Fabbri - Thornton - Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn - Hoffman
Steen - Thomas - Berglund
Sosh - Brodziak - Jaskin

Then trade 1st + other good prospect + B prospect + 3rd for Duchene (in this example, but use your choice) at 50% retained, immediately sign him to a 6 year deal.

Fabbri - Duchene - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Trade Pick-up
Steen - Thornton - Thomas
Berglund - Brodziak - Jaskin/Sosh

After the playoffs, Thornton retires, we have Duchene-Schenn-Thomas down the middle and can slide Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin into that 3rd line winger role.
I would be shocked if Thornton would leave the Sharks on a 1 year deal. They are competitive and in a relatively soft Division, and it's his home now. I don't think there is anyone really in that short term category in UFA.

It's fine to have one eye on next years UFA's, but we can't afford to keep being that patient. If that is what we're looking at, then it what you suggest and trading for someone a year away from UFA to fill the need.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I would be shocked if Thornton would leave the Sharks on a 1 year deal. They are competitive and in a relatively soft Division, and it's his home now. I don't think there is anyone really in that short term category in UFA.

It's fine to have one eye on next years UFA's, but we can't afford to keep being that patient. If that is what we're looking at, then it what you suggest and trading for someone a year away from UFA to fill the need.

I too would be shocked if Thornton bolts. I was just using him as an example. I don't know if there are any other short-term 1 year stop-gaps, either through free agency or trade. I was tried to imply that question in my post. Is there anyone available to tide us over until next year? Of the 2019 UFA crop, Duchene might be available in trade right now, but Seguin probably won't be, especially not for us. If Tavares bolts, Lee might be available for futures. Then we can shift him to wing if we sign a C next year. Although he is a LHS and prefers LW, plus I think Tavares drastically inflates his numbers. Plekanec might sign a cheaper short-term deal.

I don't know. I'd just hate to make a 4 year commitment to someone less than ideal, and be out of the Center market next-year if Seguin and/or the Sharks Cs want to test the market. Seguin would have almost the impact that Tavares will, with Pavelski and Couture not too far behind. They are 65-80 point guys vs signing a 45-50 point guy that was the best available right now..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad