Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I wouldn't say fiscal responsibility is the only reason we miss out on free agents, but I think it is the most common one. The perception at the time (as I remember it) was that we were chasing Lacavalier and Filppula before settling on Roy, and that Lacavalier want too much of a financial commitment (in the form of term) and that Filppula wanted to stay in the East.

There are always going to be factors that are out of the control of any GM, but in Army's case I think he is more conservative than most when it comes down to players who are considering the Blues as an option in free agency. He tends not to give out bad contracts to players who aren't already a part of the roster. Now players he is "re-signing"? That is probably a different story based on your perspective.

If I remember correctly, Lecavalier's contract with the Flyers was ridiculous and didn't they end up buying him out? I know Armstrong has missed on some while overpaying some (Stastny) but that's also FA. You tend to have to overpay a bit. @MissouriMook is spot on with his assessment that Doug has a little too much loyalty to players he's re-signing. He doesn't tend to spend ridiculously in FA but more with players he's already acquired or drafted. As much as I personally don't like the Steen contract, it's not an awful one. He's not a buyout candidate. Bouwmeester is the only one in that regard, but if he comes back healthy next season, he's still very useful. Plus, he only has a year left. Berglund's and Sobotka's aren't awful but they aren't good. Sobotka's is definitely movable and I do believe Berglund's is as well, even with the modified NTC. I think if Armstrong wanted to, he'd find a team Berglund is willing to go to and would want him.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is the Front Office really that good selling St. Louis to free agents?

Outside of Statsny I can’t think of any, and he was from the area....

We missed out on Lecavalier and got Roy....

Who are the free agents we missed out on because Armstrong was being fiscally responsible?

I hope your right though.
There was talk when Lecavalier signed with Philly that we put a really strong presentation to him. That should surprise anyone. Every team does it; Arizona even traded for Goligoski a couple of weeks before FA to sell him on the team. We know that most players knowledge about St. Louis is based on the news and their coach trip between the airport and their hotel. We're going to try hard on showing them the reality for them and their family.

Term was a factor with Lecavalier, Weiss and Filppula. There have been others. Armstrong is rightly conservative in UFA.

People talk about Stastny being overpaid, but it was also very limited risk. He was 32 when the deal ended and was an established, and consistent, 50+ point centre. There was hopefully upside given what he had to work with in Colorado. We knew what we were getting and he produced that during his time here.

If you look at players like Lecavalier, Weiss and Filppula... all of them carried a lot more risk and wanted more term. Filppula was 29, wanted 5 years at $5m and had hit 40 points once in his career. Weiss was also 29 and wanted 5 years and had injury issues. Lecavalier was wanting 5 years, until he turned 38, and had been bought out because he wasn't playing well, despite producing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If I remember correctly, Lecavalier's contract with the Flyers was ridiculous and didn't they end up buying him out? I know Armstrong has missed on some while overpaying some (Stastny) but that's also FA. You tend to have to overpay a bit. @MissouriMook is spot on with his assessment that Doug has a little too much loyalty to players he's re-signing. He doesn't tend to spend ridiculously in FA but more with players he's already acquired or drafted. As much as I personally don't like the Steen contract, it's not an awful one. He's not a buyout candidate. Bouwmeester is the only one in that regard, but if he comes back healthy next season, he's still very useful. Plus, he only has a year left. Berglund's and Sobotka's aren't awful but they aren't good. Sobotka's is definitely movable and I do believe Berglund's is as well, even with the modified NTC. I think if Armstrong wanted to, he'd find a team Berglund is willing to go to and would want him.
I dont even consider Boumeester's contract bad. Imo you have to look at it when it was signed and the projections. He was a top pairing LHD that should have aged well. It didn't happen due to injuries that he's never had prior. His contract became bad due to factors outside of anyone's control

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
There was talk when Lecavalier signed with Philly that we put a really strong presentation to him. That should surprise anyone. Every team does it; Arizona even traded for Goligoski a couple of weeks before FA to sell him on the team. We know that most players knowledge about St. Louis is based on the news and their coach trip between the airport and their hotel. We're going to try hard on showing them the reality for them and their family.

Term was a factor with Lecavalier, Weiss and Filppula. There have been others. Armstrong is rightly conservative in UFA.

People talk about Stastny being overpaid, but it was also very limited risk. He was 32 when the deal ended and was an established, and consistent, 50+ point centre. There was hopefully upside given what he had to work with in Colorado. We knew what we were getting and he produced that during his time here.

If you look at players like Lecavalier, Weiss and Filppula... all of them carried a lot more risk and wanted more term. Filppula was 29, wanted 5 years at $5m and had hit 40 points once in his career. Weiss was also 29 and wanted 5 years and had injury issues. Lecavalier was wanting 5 years, until he turned 38, and had been bought out because he wasn't playing well, despite producing.

This is very true.

The Red Wings are able to convince free agents to overlook the delapidated downtown of Detroit and instead focus on the more affluent and liveable suburban areas of the city. The Blues front office needs to make as equally compelling of a case about St. Louis when it comes to free agents.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I wouldn't say fiscal responsibility is the only reason we miss out on free agents, but I think it is the most common one. The perception at the time (as I remember it) was that we were chasing Lacavalier and Filppula before settling on Roy, and that Lacavalier want too much of a financial commitment (in the form of term) and that Filppula wanted to stay in the East.

There are always going to be factors that are out of the control of any GM, but in Army's case I think he is more conservative than most when it comes down to players who are considering the Blues as an option in free agency. He tends not to give out bad contracts to players who aren't already a part of the roster. Now players he is "re-signing"? That is probably a different story based on your perspective.

Yes, in my perspective a player who has played here even for a short time like Boud aren’t being sold on the city. They figured out if they liked the place and the team form exposure.

I don’t think we have and “Edmonton Complex” but also don’t think St Louis has ever been a front runner for free agents. Even going back to the 90s can hardly remember when we landed the big fish. Outside of Statsny.

I will say Stillmans response to the whole Rams debacle gives me faith he is invested in the city however, still think if the current front office had more of a track record of succeeding, I would have more of a warm fuzzy.

My biggest hope is the players can sell the city themselves, long term Blues always rave about St Louis.

There's a Place You Can Go | Alex Pietrangelo

Here’s to hoping Alex continues to text his old buddy.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
My biggest hope is the players can sell the city themselves, long term Blues always rave about St Louis.

That is a very good point. I would expect that current and former players, especially guys they know from other places currently on the Blues, or alumni that still live here who they have respected or even idolized, would do a much better job of selling the team and the area to a UFA than anyone they don't know in a front office position.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I dont even consider Boumeester's contract bad. Imo you have to look at it when it was signed and the projections. He was a top pairing LHD that should have aged well. It didn't happen due to injuries that he's never had prior. His contract became bad due to factors outside of anyone's control
Yeah it was just unfortunate that the injuries Bouwmeester has suffered has hampered his best asset to hockey which is his skating. The signing at the time was warranted with the way he was playing.

Reactions: stl76 and Dbrownss

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
It's all over fellas. Gord Miller (not a known hockey insider) on a Montreal radio station said Tavares wants to play for the Habs. They are the "front runners" if he hits free-agency

Montreal 690 :huh::naughty::laugh:

Obviously, I'm kidding. I don't think anyone knows where he wants to play if he goes free agency. I just thought it was funny how on the main boards, so many Habs fans actually believe in this.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
good piece in the Athletic. Tonight could be Tavares' last home game with the Isles.

John Tavares provides few hints at his future before what...

Will it be his last game as an Islander?

8%2Bball%2B-%2Bmost%2Blikely.png

Reactions: 67Blues

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Updated pitch to Tavares (April 10th edition):

On John's role:
"John, thank you for meeting with us. I just want to say we are very excited about the possibility of adding you to our team. We really feel like you are the missing piece...well, you and goaltending, a 2nd line RW, a few right handed shots, a better head coach, better training staff, some semblance of a workable powerplay strategy...I mean you, just you. We got all that other stuff cover....we have a plan...we're hopeful? I'm sure it will all just kind of work out...anyway, you are real important to us."

On history of winning:
"We think we would be a great fit for you. Our team has a track record of success. We made the playoffs seven years in a row...I mean obviously not this year, but before that, with a different coach and a captain we let walk and different goalie who holds all the team records we traded for a 2nd and...um, yea, success, we 've had it sometime in our team history, not the cup or anything but you now, mediocrity, most years we can clear that bar of being middling team with plenty of...some room to spa...we clear it, mostly."

On teammates:
"And the players you would get to play with, oh man. I don't have to mention Tarasenko, do I? Or his shoulder injury we have no idea if he will recover from, please tell me I don't have to mention that...which I just did, drat!!!!! ....Fabbri, I mean with all the money we are pouring into his knee, he will be like the $6million dollar man except crippled and just human....he designs cool hats though."

On life outside hockey:
"So missing piece - check, mediocrity, linemates -check, check, what else? The city, St. Louis, woooo, a beautiful riverfront, absolutely stunning....from a distance...and well, just as a warning, look at it from the west side unless you want to get murdered...which to be fair could happen on the west side too, 2nd most dangerous city in the country and all.....great for kids though, the ones who don't get murdered love the zoo. "

On a passionate and dedicated fanbase:
"So umm, geeze, this isn't going well...uh, fans? We got fans and they are....<sigh> They think I'm an idiot and we are cursed and will never win anything. John, I'm gonna level with you. If I don't sign you, they are probably going to lynch me. Help a fella out, huh?"

* The conversation depicted here-in was intended for humor, and in no way represents a potential pitch for Tavares. The reality of our situation is in no way as bad as portrayed. After all, we are the Blues. It's obviously ever so much worse :sarcasm:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

On John's role:
"John, thank you for meeting with us. I just want to say we are very excited about the possibility of adding you to our team. We really feel like you are the missing piece...well, you and goaltending, a 2nd line RW, a few right handed shots, a better head coach, better training staff, some semblance of a workable powerplay strategy...I mean you, just you. We got all that other stuff cover....we have a plan...we're hopeful? I'm sure it will all just kind of work out...anyway, you are real important to us."

On history of winning:
"We think we would be a great fit for you. Our team has a track record of success. We made the playoffs seven years in a row...I mean obviously not this year, but before that, with a different coach and a captain we let walk and different goalie who holds all the team records we traded for a 2nd and...um, yea, success, we 've had it sometime in our team history, not the cup or anything but you now, mediocrity, most years we can clear that bar of being middling team with plenty of...some room to spa...we clear it, mostly."

On teammates:
"And the players you would get to play with, oh man. I don't have to mention Tarasenko, do I? Or his shoulder injury we have no idea if he will recover from, please tell me I don't have to mention that...which I just did, drat!!!!! ....Fabbri, I mean with all the money we are pouring into his knee, he will be like the $6million dollar man except crippled and just human....he designs cool hats though."

On life outside hockey:
"So missing piece - check, mediocrity, linemates -check, check, what else? The city, St. Louis, woooo, a beautiful riverfront, absolutely stunning....from a distance...and well, just as a warning, look at it from the west side unless you want to get murdered...which to be fair could happen on the west side too, 2nd most dangerous city in the country and all.....great for kids though, the ones who don't get murdered love the zoo. "

"So umm, geeze, this isn't going well...uh, fans? We got fans and they are....<sigh> They think I'm an idiot and we are cursed and will never win anything. John, I'm gonna level with you. If I don't sign you, they are probably going to lynch me. Help a fella out, huh?"

* The conversation depicted here-in was intended for humor, and in no way represents a potential pitch for Tavares. The reality of our situation is in no way as bad as portrayed. After all, we are the Blues. It's obviously ever so much worse :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

On John's role:

On history of winning:

On teammates:

On life outside hockey:

Omg laughing so hard right now, great stuff. Embracing the insanity of loving this team can set you free and this is a perfect example of it, .

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So what are we willing to part with to acquire his rights prior to the UFA period? No doubt they hold some value...I'm sure every team who wants to sign him on July 1 would prefer to be the team that wins that auction than not. Can the Blues afford not to win that bid, if the Isles do in fact find themselves faced with him walking for nothing on July 1?

They'd need to get a high enough offer to beat other teams...but still keep it from being devastating if he walks and the Blues lost assets for what turned out to be nothing. In which case you'd assume any trade for JT's rights would be conditional upon him ultimately signing with that team. The Blues have a TON of forward prospects on the verge of cracking the NHL (Blais, Barbashev, Foley, Stevens, the Big Four) that spending one of them here wouldn't be a devastating loss. With that said...what would be the bid from STL?

WPG 1st, Kostin & Lindbohm's rights
for JT's rights & conditional 2020 2nd
???

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So what are we willing to part with to acquire his rights prior to the UFA period? No doubt they hold some value...I'm sure every team who wants to sign him on July 1 would prefer to be the team that wins that auction than not. Can the Blues afford not to win that bid, if the Isles do in fact find themselves faced with him walking for nothing on July 1?

They'd need to get a high enough offer to beat other teams...but still keep it from being devastating if he walks and the Blues lost assets for what turned out to be nothing. In which case you'd assume any trade for JT's rights would be conditional upon him ultimately signing with that team. The Blues have a TON of forward prospects on the verge of cracking the NHL (Blais, Barbashev, Foley, Stevens, the Big Four) that spending one of them here wouldn't be a devastating loss. With that said...what would be the bid from STL?

???
I mean...WTF?

I need to add more. Even if JT signed with the Blues, I'd fire Armstrong. If JT's rights pull more then a 3rd, I'd be surprised. Your essentially offering up 2 1sts for JTs rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarBacon

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada

On John's role:

On history of winning:

On teammates:

On life outside hockey:

"So umm, geeze, this isn't going well...uh, fans? We got fans and they are.... They think I'm an idiot and we are cursed and will never win anything. John, I'm gonna level with you. If I don't sign you, they are probably going to lynch me. Help a fella out, huh?"

Okay, when can you start?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

???

I would offer Walman, or Foley, or Stevens. Although, I'd feel kind of shitty if I just signed a college kid to his first contract just to trade him right after. Would probably be bad for futures as well. So I'd offer Walman. Either that or a 2nd next year at most.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I don’t think we have and “Edmonton Complex” but also don’t think St Louis has ever been a front runner for free agents. Even going back to the 90s can hardly remember when we landed the big fish. Outside of Statsny.
Yet, nearly every big name player we've ever had, has a residence in the STL area. That should say a lot about what players/family think of the area.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Yet, nearly every big name player we've ever had, has a residence in the STL area. That should say a lot about what players/family think of the area.

Agreed that was my point. I have more faith in the players who have lived here selling the city than the blues front office.

I guess I was just thinking of what JT knows of St. Louis. He has experienced arriving at the airport a team bus picks them up takes him to the Marriott across for the arena. Not the best first impression imho. At most he has spent two days here waiting for the Blues to come to town form being out on a road trip. So maybe he has had time to go out one night downtown. At least he has seen our fans pack the arena for the last seven years; which is the best thing I can think of his likely perception of our city.

Being born and raised here, never knew St. Louis had a bad reputation around the country till i joined the service. Remember my TSGT instructors comment in tech school when I said I was from here “that isn’t a city it just a slum along the highway”.

So that’s why Pie’s article gave me some hope. At least he should answer the phone when Alex calls lol hopefully long enough to hear a sales pitch on how great our burbs are and how good it is to raise a family here.

We will find out in a little less than 3 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: shifting

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Unless, JT was telegraphing that he is very interested in St. Louis, I don't think I would trade anything of value for his "rights."

JT has come this far....he's going to wait to talk to multiple suitors and probably bid his price up before signing anywhere. I doubt the chance to talk to him a bit early makes much of a difference in his final selection.

How does he fit into the cap if we are planning to re-sign Schenn in two years? Schenn is probably going to want at least 7 million...Petro will be due for a contract. Are we setting ourselves up for a big cap crunch and/or losing someone else who is a key cog like Schenn?

The above question leads me back to one of the reasons why I don't want to trade Thomas or Kyrou...we need those cheap ELC's on good players....possibly elite players.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

???
It's not a bidding war. No GM is giving up a package like that unless he knows he is signing Tavares after the trade goes down. If he knows he is signing Tavares, then he isn't giving up a package like that when he can do it for nothing on July 1.

The biggest price that an unsigned JT returns is probably a 2018 1st for JT & a conditional 2019 2nd. If the team signs JT then they lose a first. If they don't then they are moving a late first for a probable 32-45 pick in 2019, which is a stronger draft class. It's not a huge downgrade.
Unless, JT was telegraphing that he is very interested in St. Louis, I don't think I would trade anything of value for his "rights."

JT has come this far....he's going to wait to talk to multiple suitors and probably bid his price up before signing anywhere. I doubt the chance to talk to him a bit early make much of a difference in his final selection.

How does he fit into the cap if we are planning to re-sign Schenn in two years? Schenn is probably going to want at least 7 million...Petro will be due for a contract. Are we setting ourselves up for a big cap crunch and/or losing someone else who is a key cog like Schenn?

The above question leads me back to one of the reasons why I don't want to trade Thomas or Kyrou...we need those cheap ELC's on good players....possibly elite players.
If JT has decided to go to UFA, then he has to come this far regardless of what his intentions are. He has his choice of teams and is going to be very well compensated, I don't think he's too concerned about pushing the price up. He'll likely have his shortlist of teams and he'll have the number he wants. His agent isn't going to be working on AAV, he's going to be working on the breakdown of the contract.

If a team isn't on that shortlist, getting his rights early won't make a tiny bit of difference. If they are on that shortlist? It could make all the difference.

Cap concerns rely on projection. We can unquestionably handle it without issue for the next couple of years. Beyond that? We have no idea what our roster will be or how the cap will progress. The cap is jumping by $4m-$5m this summer. Will the addition of Seattle in a couple of years have a similar impact?

People point to the Blackhawks decline and say that paying Kane & Toews $21m is the problem. The problem with the Blackhawks is that Toews has declined, that horrendous Seabrook contract and bad roster management by the GM. If Toews was still hovering around PPG, they let Seabrook walk and they had Panarin then things would look different.

Also, paying two players $21m when the cap is $71m-$75m is very different to paying two players ~$19.5m when the cap is $80m+.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I mean...WTF?

I need to add more. Even if JT signed with the Blues, I'd fire Armstrong. If JT's rights pull more then a 3rd, I'd be surprised. Your essentially offering up 2 1sts for JTs rights.

My thoughts were that some other teams will offer something better than a late 1st. Why not 'thin the herd' so to speak with regards to our prospects...give guys that may have value now, that in a couple of years may not have any due to depth and an inability to crack this roster.
A (crapshoot) 1st and a guy like Thompson or Stevens is nothing in the grand scheme of things...if JT signs. I figured the proposal would go over like a lead balloon...but i'd say there's a very good chance of JT's rights being traded at this point. I'd rather it be to STL than not...even if the costs is not insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad