Tavares and the excuses

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Why would JT want to play for the Panthers, virtually every one in the businesss has said that CUPS are top priority. The Panthers are as dysfunctional as the Isles and probably less likely to win a cup in the next decade.

They have Tallon back in command, we have Garth. Compare their draft records . . . not even close. The owners got too cute a year ago in re-configuring the roster and now Tallon is rapidly undoing the damage.

Something about 'people in glass houses' comes to mind.

Bjugstad is playing wing this year, not center, and is more effective there right now but there's no comparison to Huberdeau. Huberdeau is a first liner, Bjugstad is not.

Huberdeau, Tippett and a 1st is a fair package if we can't re-sign JT. Then you try to find a stop gap for the 1st line center in someone like Turris. not the best solution but workable while we re-tool.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
They have Tallon back in command, we have Garth. Compare their draft records . . . not even close. The owners got too cute a year ago in re-configuring the roster and now Tallon is rapidly undoing the damage.

Something about 'people in glass houses' comes to mind.

Bjugstad is playing wing this year, not center, and is more effective there right now but there's no comparison to Huberdeau. Huberdeau is a first liner, Bjugstad is not.

Huberdeau, Tippett and a 1st is a fair package if we can't re-sign JT. Then you try to find a stop gap for the 1st line center in someone like Turris. not the best solution but workable while we re-tool.

I didn’t ask what fair value is. I said John Tavares top priority is winning a CUP. So I’ll ask again, why does JT play for Florida?

They are mediocre now and Minus the pieces you listed coming back would be significantly worse then the Islanders in a non hockey market.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I don't think that Florida is any less of a hockey market than NY. Different from each other, yes -- but quite frankly -- neither town gives a shit about hockey.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I didn’t ask what fair value is. I said John Tavares top priority is winning a CUP. So I’ll ask again, why does JT play for Florida?

They are mediocre now and Minus the pieces you listed coming back would be significantly worse then the Islanders in a non hockey market.

With the trade their centers are JT, Barkov and Trocheck . . . that's easily the best threesome in the league. I live in Boca, frankly we were lucky to beat them two years ago in the playoffs. Both of the teams took a step back last season, but there's was more self-inflicted with roster moves and injuries, while ours was not reacting to the need to change coaches quicker. If you think Florida is worse off than we are as far as contending you are kidding yourself. Their total defense is just as good as ours and if Ekblad stays healthy we have no equivalent to that. Luongo is not the answer for them but our tandem and theirs is pretty similar. We have a deeper talent pool.

Frankly, if it was Trocheck, Tippett and the #1 I wouldn't complain. Trocheck is one of the best kept secrets in hockey.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
With the trade their centers are JT, Barkov and Trocheck . . . that's easily the best threesome in the league. I live in Boca, frankly we were lucky to beat them two years ago in the playoffs. Both of the teams took a step back last season, but there's was more self-inflicted with roster moves and injuries, while ours was not reacting to the need to change coaches quicker. If you think Florida is worse off than we are as far as contending you are kidding yourself. Their total defense is just as good as ours and if Ekblad stays healthy we have no equivalent to that. Luongo is not the answer for them but our tandem and theirs is pretty similar. We have a deeper talent pool.

Frankly, if it was Trocheck, Tippett and the #1 I wouldn't complain. Trocheck is one of the best kept secrets in hockey.
The also have Capuano now. ;)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
this "missed the playoffs by one point" excuse is getting old. they had, despite a dismal start, plenty of chances near the end to secure a playoff spot and failed miserable time and time again, until their destiny was completely out of their hands.

it is pretty dreadful that three seasons ago we looked like we were on our way to being a strong contender for years to come and now we are looking like just making the playoffs would be amazing.

Getting old? It's a horrible excuse anytime in a sports league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs. You can be a bad team and make the playoffs...So what does it say you can't make them after 82 games?

Horrid.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
One of the other IPB writers with a little counterpoint to Botta:

"Speaking of the captain, let's not put much stock into the plethora of rumors, columns and blogs coming out about what his intentions are or aren't. There are just as many "insiders" who think he will re-sign as there are who think he is surely gone. One thing is for certain, Tavares is loyal and committed to the organization he currently finds himself employed by, choosing to 'live in the moment' and let his agent do the heavy lifting in any discussions with general manager Garth Snow."

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/islanders-pulock-set-for-debut-but-to-what-extent/258980222

...And that is why Botta is a sensationalist writer as opposed to objective reporter.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Looks like someone who is not enjoying his profession right now. Its turning into a liability.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don’t think his issues are due to the contract. I’m thinking he hasn’t found his legs yet due to injuries impacting his offseason training.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
leaving what on the table? He left money on the table by taking $5.5 in his last contract. Careful what you wish for - if this guy hits UFA we'll see what kind of money the NYR put on the table.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I don’t think his issues are due to the contract. I’m thinking he hasn’t found his legs yet due to injuries impacting his offseason training.
or maybe he's just in a slump. Doesn't seem to be meshing well with Eberle and he hasn't looked right, fumbling pucks, missing chances and passes, not winning puck battles or dominating down low. It's magnified because it's the beginning of the year and he's unsigned - otherwise, all stars go through slumps.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From a franchise building point of view, I've been thinking it for a while, but the Tavares/Islanders relationship is getting to the E. Staal/Kessel/Nash stage of staleness, where an organization gets fixated on building around, appeasing, keeping one star player and ultimately lose sight of building a comprehensive winning program from the ground up. At this stage in Tavares' career in his late 20s, you can double down and lock him up at an inflated price, but in 2 years time you might realize he's actually a diminished, complacent shadow of his former self with an organization stuck in neutral.

Obviously Snow isn't the guy to build something, but cashing in the asset, doubling down on the draft to augment the existing pool and moving forward with a cadre of hungry talent should really be considered.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
or maybe he's just in a slump. Doesn't seem to be meshing well with Eberle and he hasn't looked right, fumbling pucks, missing chances and passes, not winning puck battles or dominating down low. It's magnified because it's the beginning of the year and he's unsigned - otherwise, all stars go through slumps.

Trust me, I'm not given to any sensational concerns that his play is a result of contract, declining skills or whatnot. I agree that it is just a slump. I just think the cause of the slump is that he "hasn't found his legs yet." Tavares stated somewhere that his training was modified due to the surgeries this summer. He was also given several "maintenance days" during training camp.

Anyway, the NHL teams usually starts to settle in by game 10. I think that's when we'll see Tavares start to come around.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Perhaps having Trocheck as a 3C is a nice luxury, but to call this the best in the league... OK.

Kopitar-Carter-Whoever
Draisatl-McDavid-RNH
Crosby-Malkin-Whoever
Getzlaf-Kesler-Whoever
Coutore-Pavelski-Thornton
Matthews-Kadri-Whoever

all WAY better then the trio you listed IMO.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Huh? Short of significant injury he's getting more than 10M/year if he hits free agency. Bet on that.

Clearly I mean JT not signing now and riding out the season while the Isles would draw up a contract in a second if he wanted to sign is what I am talking about. The owners, management, players and fans want their captain to sign and he elects to wait. That is affecting him in my opinion. Give me a break. Lol

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
I predict that within 10 games John Tavares' on-ice performance won't even touch the top-20 on anyone's list of Isles concerns.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

The correct explanation is usually the simplest one.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Perhaps having Trocheck as a 3C is a nice luxury, but to call this the best in the league... OK.

Kopitar-Carter-Whoever
Draisatl-McDavid-RNH
Crosby-Malkin-Whoever
Getzlaf-Kesler-Whoever
Coutore-Pavelski-Thornton
Matthews-Kadri-Whoever

all WAY better then the trio you listed IMO.

You aren't paying attention to these teams

Draisatl has been playing wing and is now potentially moving to center but is injured, RNH vs Barkov? NO ONE takes RNH in that one if you watch Barkov, who is a nearly PPG player the past two years.

Pavelski has been playing wing.

You certainly aren't watching Panther games if you think Getzlaf-Kesler-whatever (Kesler out of action right now indefinitely); you are way off on Anaheim vs JT, Barkov and Trocheck

Carter is now out indefinitely too.

In Pittsburgh they basically have NO 3rd line center to talk of with Bonino now gone. Greg McKegg and Carter Rowney??? Seriously?

The only one is Toronto with Bozak as 3rd C . . . that's the one to argue. All 3 centers are legit.

You can't assume 2 top centers are better than three top centers are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad