Tavares and the excuses

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There is no way he's getting traded. I can tell you that right now. We could be 7-20-3 in January and he won't be moved.

How can you "tell us that right now?" Are you snow?

And who cares about predictions? It's all about what's best for the team. If snow knows JT is not resigning then he should trade him - Because that's what's best for the team.

waveslider

Apr 19, 2016
Signing in LA and living in Dana Point is like signing for the Islanders and living in the Hamptons. Its like 70 miles in traffic going every which way to get to practice or games. Think 90 minutes minimum. Unless he's going to Kobe himself to practice and games in a helicopter. Getting to auditions would be even worse. If hes signing in LA he'd live in Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo where every player on the Kings lives. I don't doubt that some hockey guy is buying a house in Dana Point, it's just definitely not anyone that would play for the Kings or even the Ducks

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Can't trade a player with a no move clause

Can't imagine a scenario where JT agrees to a deal when he's months away from UFA unless 1) it's a desired long term destination and 2) Pat Brisson brings a framework for a long term deal with really high numbers - close to what the desperate Rangers, Canadiens, Jackets would pay a UFA, giving up nothing.
I'm still thinking JT signs here and also that a trade is unlikely.

But if there is a trade on the table to a team he would be happy to sign with, doesn't that mean he could get an extra year on his contract with that team if he signs before July 1st? So there might be about 10 million reasons for JT to waive the NMC....

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I can't imagine he goes to LA. The team may have some good pieces but their style of play and being overly big and not especially fast dates them severely in the NHL in 2017. Also it's highly remote a guy would already be that sure he knows where he's going. Especially when he has zero family ties and he's going to get offers from better teams for more money. Also this would confirm the arena story was a lie because if he is already planning on leaving I guess Belmont doesn't matter
That is the complete opposite of the Kings this season. They are fast and creative. The Kings have the room for him.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
JT has a modified no trade clause. He would have to give snow a list of 8 teams he doesn't want to go to and snow couldn't trade him to those teams.

I remember hearing/reading that he can still refuse a trade if he chooses. It's at HIS discretion whether HE WANTS to waive and provide a list of 8 teams.

Either way, a trade would be a disaster because there's just no leverage for the Isles. The return would be marginally better than letting him walk. There's no circumstance where a trade would be a good move - for that to be the case, it would have to have been made last year or earlier. But it would take a smart GM with a pulse, and a pulse on his team and franchise player to make that hindsight call. Garth would be an amazing GM if he could go back in time and re-draft, re-trade, re-sign players - I think!

The only way out of this mess is convince Tavares to sign after a new arena bid is accepted. Then somehow make the extra $5MM on his new contract accommodate building a championship caliber team for the next 8 years.

Wasting EIGHT SEASONS with JT making ELC money and then, the same cap hit as: Andrei Sekera, Danny DeKeyser, Jared Spurgeon, Nick Foligno and yet no strong team around the captain and franchise player? Seriously? It's a complete joke and Garth doesn't deserve another 8 years of Tavares.

If I were Pat Brisson I'd DEMAND ownership removes Snow as GM as a condition to re-singing.

I'm not usually this angry, this early in the season, but the last two seasons have been dreadful.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I remember hearing/reading that he can still refuse a trade if he chooses. It's at HIS discretion whether HE WANTS to waive and provide a list of 8 teams.

Any idea where you read that? I don't think I've ever heard of a clause work like this.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Either way, a trade would be a disaster because there's just no leverage for the Isles. The return would be marginally better than letting him walk. There's no circumstance where a trade would be a good move - for that to be the case, it would have to have been made last year or earlier. But it would take a smart GM with a pulse, and a pulse on his team and franchise player to make that hindsight call. Garth would be an amazing GM if he could go back in time and re-draft, re-trade, re-sign players - I think!

The only way out of this mess is convince Tavares to sign after a new arena bid is accepted. Then somehow make the extra $5MM on his new contract accommodate building a championship caliber team for the next 8 years.

Wasting EIGHT SEASONS with JT making ELC money and then, the same cap hit as: Andrei Sekera, Danny DeKeyser, Jared Spurgeon, Nick Foligno and yet no strong team around the captain and franchise player? Seriously? It's a complete joke and Garth doesn't deserve another 8 years of Tavares.

If I were Pat Brisson I'd DEMAND ownership removes Snow as GM as a condition to re-singing.

I'm not usually this angry, this early in the season, but the last two seasons have been dreadful.

That is more or less why I said he won't be traded. You won't get much back and also you probably hurt the chance he comes back. If he indeed is fully set on returning if Belmont is awarded then the last thing you want to do is sour him by dealing him to get a cheap return. You could end up with him changing his mind and odds are teams will know he may come back if Belmont is approved in March or April so they won't give you much anyway. The only way he is traded is if he tells them he's not going to sign here and even then you can only trade him if the team is totally out of it come mid season

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Lets just trade him now!

SNOW MUST GO!

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

They missed the playoffs by one point last year and made it to the second round the year before. Nothing to write home about but hardly "dreadful" when compared to most of our other seasons in the last 30 years or so...

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
They missed the playoffs by one point last year and made it to the second round the year before. Nothing to write home about but hardly "dreadful" when compared to most of our other seasons in the last 30 years or so...

One point or not, last year sucked royally and was a major letdown after what transpired the year before. I still don't think I've recovered to be honest. I've been somewhat apathetic about the team this year. I've been watching the games when I can, but it's mostly out of habit to be completely honest.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Signing in LA and living in Dana Point is like signing for the Islanders and living in the Hamptons. Its like 70 miles in traffic going every which way to get to practice or games. Think 90 minutes minimum. Unless he's going to Kobe himself to practice and games in a helicopter. Getting to auditions would be even worse. If hes signing in LA he'd live in Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo where every player on the Kings lives. I don't doubt that some hockey guy is buying a house in Dana Point, it's just definitely not anyone that would play for the Kings or even the Ducks

We inspected the property there was no interest at all from that visiting party on Monday, it is even too far for the Ducks practice facility, we have a draw property in Ranchos Palos Verde that is similar to this one, we shall see who visits it, then again JT won't be in California technically again this season

Not for anything, that is some amazing area, cliffs overlooking the beach

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
We inspected the property there was no interest at all from that visiting party on Monday, it is even too far for the Ducks practice facility, we have a draw property in Ranchos Palos Verde that is similar to this one, we shall see who visits it, then again JT won't be in California technically again this season

Not for anything, that is some amazing area, cliffs overlooking the beach

At some point the Isles have a 6 day break. Don't know when it is though

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
this "missed the playoffs by one point" excuse is getting old. they had, despite a dismal start, plenty of chances near the end to secure a playoff spot and failed miserable time and time again, until their destiny was completely out of their hands.

it is pretty dreadful that three seasons ago we looked like we were on our way to being a strong contender for years to come and now we are looking like just making the playoffs would be amazing.

Reactions: IslesFanatic

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
We missed the playoffs by one GM/President last year. But a poll of the other GM's resulted in Garth being at the helm of the aimless ship for at least part of another year.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't think that's a thing. I'm pretty sure it's a standard 8-team list he submits sometime in July, and those are the only teams he can't be dealt to.

In any case, it's not that difficult for a shrewd agent to be strategic about which teams to list in order to effectively turn it into a complete No-Trade clause, or to make it so the Isles send Tavares only to a team he wants. For starters, don't list any teams who are already tight against the Cap, or who don't really need a center bad enough to pay the assets that it would require.

Essentially, Brisson would just have to list 8 teams who still have cap space as the 8-teams on his no trade list, and he's effectively making sure that the teams that can deal for him are tight for space, and the teams who can't deal for him are the ones with space.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
this "missed the playoffs by one point" excuse is getting old. they had, despite a dismal start, plenty of chances near the end to secure a playoff spot and failed miserable time and time again, until their destiny was completely out of their hands.

it is pretty dreadful that three seasons ago we looked like we were on our way to being a strong contender for years to come and now we are looking like just making the playoffs would be amazing.
Just so we're clear, I wasn't making excuses. Just pointing out that we've had far, far more "dreadful" seasons than the last two. I wouldn't highlight those as being exceptionally disappointing. They were playing meaningful games in April last year. By no means was 2016-2017 fun or satisfying but we've experienced much worse. And two years ago was the best season we experienced in 24 years.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

You got it. 90 minutes IF the stars align. If people here think JT looks miserable now, wait till you see how he looks after spending 25-30% of his waking hours on the 405. As you said, no active Kings player will live in Dana Point, here some food for thought, people with money sometimes window shop. Besides I have a hard time believing that on a Cali road trip, Tavares just told his teammates, in the midst of this contract situation, hang tight guys, i'm going to look at Southern California real estate, just because.

Heres my bias, I reside in the South Bay so if JT does play for the Kings, it's likely I'd see him out and about at some point in time.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I love it even though we both know that would never happen. If Brisson wanted to involve himself in front office dealings to please his client, then Matt Duchene would've been traded already.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I do not want JT traded, but if Florida offers the following for a signed/trade JT, I will think about it:
- 2018 or 2019 1st (not lottery protected) round pick
- one of Huberdeau or Bjugstad
- Owen Tipett

JT may sign there because of the State tax, the weather, and Cappy is hired as the assistant coach there and despite what Isles fans think, he does have a good long term relationship with Cappy.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I do not want JT traded, but if Florida offers the following for a signed/trade JT, I will think about it:
- 2018 or 2019 1st (not lottery protected) round pick
- one of Huberdeau or Bjugstad
- Owen Tipett

JT may sign there because of the State tax, the weather, and Cappy is hired as the assistant coach there and despite what Isles fans think, he does have a good long term relationship with Cappy.

Why would JT want to play for the Panthers, virtually every one in the businesss has said that CUPS are top priority. The Panthers are as dysfunctional as the Isles and probably less likely to win a cup in the next decade.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I know you're just venting, but no agent in the world would do this. He'd find himself selling insurance door-to-door quicker than you could say "shot myself in the foot".
Why? Maybe not demand as in write a strongly worded request, but he can say to the owners that JT isn't comfortable with the current front office and that's virtually the same thing. There have been players who left their franchises in part because they clashed with coaches/gms. This wouldn't be unprecedented.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
One of the other IPB writers with a little counterpoint to Botta:

"Speaking of the captain, let's not put much stock into the plethora of rumors, columns and blogs coming out about what his intentions are or aren't. There are just as many "insiders" who think he will re-sign as there are who think he is surely gone. One thing is for certain, Tavares is loyal and committed to the organization he currently finds himself employed by, choosing to 'live in the moment' and let his agent do the heavy lifting in any discussions with general manager Garth Snow."

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/islanders-pulock-set-for-debut-but-to-what-extent/258980222

Reactions: And You Feel Shame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad