Tavares and the excuses

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't want to hate anyone, but Botta is doing an excellent job of trying to get me to do just that. The dude is a sensationalist.
I think he may model himself after Larry Brooks a bit when he writes. He's certainly never boring, I'll give him that.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think he may model himself after Larry Brooks a bit when he writes. He's certainly never boring, I'll give him that.

I was literally thinking that Botta is our "Brooks." The difference is that sometimes Brooks makes some very fair/good points.

Just remember...Botta said the Lighthouse project is DEFINITELY happening. He lost all credibility then and has since proved that he deserves none of it. It takes a lot for me to side with garth snow, but man I could see why Botta got his credential pulled.

John Tavares might leave the Isles next year, but NOTHING in this Botta article is news about that happening one way or the other. All it does it use hearsay and conjecture to get the fanbase worked up and thus drive traffic to his site.

It's pathetic really.

Reactions: NYI JT91

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
When a player has worked hard for 8-9 years, never given any indication of being lazy or disinterested, and been one of the best players in the NHL during that time, wanting to give him more than 5 games to get it together rather than assuming all those things have suddenly changed isn't making excuses -- it's using logic.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
What's ridiculous is this entire thread.

Theres nothing ridiculous about this thread. Whats making it ridiculous is the "tavares is god" responses to those of saying tavares needs to be better. His start is unacceptable. We can rag on ladd and the others but you cant call out your captain who misses wide open nets.

Hes not immune from criticism. He thinks leaving here for somewhere else will help his situation? Enough with the PPG crap. How many points did he have last year? Hint its closer to josh bailey then it is a PPG.

He either needs to look like he cares and try harder and start performing or demand the trade and lets all move on. He looks miserable. Like someone who doesnt want to be here.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Was it ever clarified why Tavares had so many "maintenance days" during training camp?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
It's been said several times. John has to be concerned with the viability of the franchise. That is a given.

Beyond that, he clearly (like all NHL players) wants to win one or more Stanley Cups. If he has serious doubts that the management/ownership if this team are incapable of creating a team that has the potential to do that, his choice to stay or go will have been made for him.
He is going to make a lot of money wherever he plays. I want him to remain here and lead the team to that Cup win, but he is not able to do that alone. Snow has not shown that he can provide the supporting cast to get that job done. If that is how JT sees it, he will be leaving for another team in July.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think for sure he is gone, when I posted in another thread about LA, I didn't know what I now know. One aspect of my business is taking pictures of homes undergoing construction for bank loans, mostly luxury stuff, well the builder on a site in Dana Point, CA said a New York Hockey player was looking at this mansion on the ocean over the weekend, with 2 other people one of which was a french Canadian. sounds like Brisson, Robitaille and JT to me. Said also that the girlfriend is a model that wants to turn to acting and no better place than LA.

We are trying to get Galchenyuk to ease the loss of JT now.

And I just read the Botta piece 20 minutes after putting this up...

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You sure do know a lot about everyone and everything.

It isn't hard to know a lot about everything when I am reading people say that losing Tavares might be a good thing for this franchise. You can say whatever you want about me, but just know you are somehow feeding into that bullshit.

Go ahead try and convince me that losing Tavares is the right thing for this franchise or that he hasn't looked good because he doesn't want to stay here. If you believe either of those things you are just an idiot and shouldn't be following hockey. Tavares has been an Islander through a lot of BS, maybe give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to work through his early season struggles.

But wait.. I'm the one who gets a sarcastic response? Sorry I can't read people try to come to grips with the fact that JT might leave and make it seem as if it isn't the Isles faults. If Tavares leaves it will be the worst thing to happen to this franchise since having the vote shot down to build their own arena.

If anybody actually believes that Tavares is not worth the money or that the Isles MAY be better off without him, please stop posting here.

Reactions: SteveH124

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Theres nothing ridiculous about this thread. Whats making it ridiculous is the "tavares is god" responses to those of saying tavares needs to be better. His start is unacceptable. We can rag on ladd and the others but you cant call out your captain who misses wide open nets.

Hes not immune from criticism. He thinks leaving here for somewhere else will help his situation? Enough with the PPG crap. How many points did he have last year? Hint its closer to josh bailey then it is a PPG.

He either needs to look like he cares and try harder and start performing or demand the trade and lets all move on. He looks miserable. Like someone who doesnt want to be here.

LOL! The old "try harder" rant. Typical fanboy drivel. This thread is beyond ridiculous and your post is A1.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Read through this whole thread and I haven't seen anybody say Tavares is God. The only times I've seen those words used together is from the sky is falling tarts in this thread. I absolutely agree at times the love for JT goes through the roof in this forum. He's a great player, top 1o, and the Isles would be dismal without him. However, he is streaky and sometimes starts slow.

Sifting out the muck and exaggeration, the reality is we are 6 games in and JT is starting slow. However, he's still strong on the puck and doing what he needs to do. There are always chemistry issues when you first put a line together. Remember fans freaking out that Vanek was horrendous when he first came over. Then it became the best line in hockey a month later. JT is an elite player. He isn't a god. He's an all-star in the league and an asset to the organization, and his contract is a steal at its current status. Those are all facts.

This forum would be a heck of a lot easier to stomach sometimes if posters had a one week delay before they could actually submit what they typed, lol. I'll be sure to come back to this thread and rip you fools heartily when JT is back in top 10 in scoring and doing what he does best. I doubt we'll see any of you man enough to admit your whining was unfounded.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
but we know that the isles don't believe in change
Just keep doing the same thing and it'll eventually work

giphy.gif

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
if tavares walks i'd imagine snow is fired immediately.

A) Don't you believe that for a second.

B) Why would it take JT walking for the owners needing to learn what was so obvious for so long? The reason JT is doubting he can win here is BECAUSE OF THIS LACKLUSTER TEAM THAT SNOW BUILT. Most of us know that snow needed to be fired long ago, so what does it say about our owners that they would need the absolute worst thing to happen short of moving the team outside of NY to get rid of this inept GM?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think for sure he is gone, when I posted in another thread about LA, I didn't know what I now know. One aspect of my business is taking pictures of homes undergoing construction for bank loans, mostly luxury stuff, well the builder on a site in Dana Point, CA said a New York Hockey player was looking at this mansion on the ocean over the weekend, with 2 other people one of which was a french Canadian. sounds like Brisson, Robitaille and JT to me. Said also that the girlfriend is a model that wants to turn to acting and no better place than LA.

I think you should try writing some non-fictional posts for a change.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

LOL yeah I cannot see him going to LA. That team is a mess that is nowhere close to contending. If he goes there its certainly due more to his wife than it is trying to win. I would bet my life he goes to Toronto/Montreal/Tampa/Minnesota

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
A) Don't you believe that for a second.

B) Why would it take JT walking for the owners needing to learn what was so obvious for so long? The reason JT is doubting he can win here is BECAUSE OF THIS LACKLUSTER TEAM THAT SNOW BUILT. Most of us know that snow needed to be fired long ago, so what does it say about our owners that they would need the absolute worst thing to happen short of moving the team outside of NY to get rid of this inept GM?
it's just something about this team. there is never any accountability being held. it's ridiculous at this point.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think you should try writing some non-fictional posts for a change.

I don't know we are inspecting the property tomorrow, and my inspector is a season ticket holder for the Ducks.... home is a 5 million dollar beach house, just the contractor said it was some New York hockey player and did not know a thing about hockey.. for all I know it could be Jonathan Quick looking to upgrade.

We lose JT and stockpile Galenchyuk types, I think we become the 2nd coming of the Avalanche quite quickly

People are forgetting his carrying the Isles in the 2015 playoffs, and the Isles have gone backwards since then.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
The only fact I've been eluding to is JT's slow start and the importance of him picking up his game quickly. Whether his current sub-par level of play is on him for whatever reason, or on the coaches for not making changes to enable him to be at his best, something has to change pronto. The team needs him to BE JT - the great, relentless, committed player we know he is. I'm just hoping he flips that switch before it's too late. I will never contest his dedication or effort - EVER.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
LOL yeah I cannot see him going to LA. That team is a mess that is nowhere close to contending. If he goes there its certainly due more to his wife than it is trying to win. I would bet my life he goes to Toronto/Montreal/Tampa/Minnesota

LA is an elite team in the league if you look at JT/Kopitar/Doughty/Quick with 2nd tier of Toffoli/Muzzin/Carter/Brown/Lewis/Martinez, you can put 12 Bracken Kearns in there and end up under the cap, I knew Frans was going to Detroit, knew KO was going to Buffalo, knew Martins was going to Philly until they signed Wiese... JT ends up in LA, just hope the Isles can send him there sooner, so the Kings pay a lot more for him for 75 games of usage and to keep the passifier in Doughty's mouth

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The only fact I've been eluding to is JT's slow start and the importance of him picking up his game quickly. Whether his current sub-par level of play is on him for whatever reason, or on the coaches for not making changes to enable him to be at his best, something has to change pronto. The team needs him to BE JT - the great, relentless, committed player we know he is. I'm just hoping he flips that switch before it's too late. I will never contest his dedication or effort - EVER.
If they are actively seeking to deal him now, knowing they will lose him in a few months... then he is mailing it in... lameduck style.... Duchene in 2016/17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad