Tanner "The Rangers' Class Pet Rock" Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know AV isn't that old, but he's old enough. As long as we still have coaches the remember the days when hockey was boxing on ice players like Tanner Glass will find employment in the NHL. It's upsetting and unfortunate.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
My thoughts on Glass are that he may be a useful player but not with half of his contract and being scratched more frequently.
A 4th liner with 1.4M contract NEEDS to contribute offensively sometimes. Toughness and PK ability are not enough, you just have to look at the 4th lines of effective PO teams in recent seasons. Guys like Clifford, Lewis, Paille, Campbell, Frolik, Ben Smith to give a few names give you character, energy but also the possibility to be competitive on 4th lines. Boyle-Moore-Dorsett was a great 4th line, Glass-Moore-Fast is not a 4th line for a long PO run.
A 4th liner earning that money should be able to clinch the Eastern Conference Finals for us as Moore did, or to do something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM3OdXTmE6c

That guy was on Glass' place last season.

Last edited:

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
We have worsened the team a lot for not paying 600k more (difference between Boyle and Glass contracts, both for 3 years). I even see Boyle playing in this year's 3rd line (with Hayes and Hags, just imagine that).
My conclussion is that even the team has been succesful lately we need to fix some flaws of the lineup or we will fall soon in the Playoffs if we reach them. We need to trade for better bottom liners.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
He is just simply not an everyday player, however in a game against Dallas that has Roussel and Garbutt (who is emerging as more and more of a dirty player) I don't think its the worst thing in the world to have a player like Glass in the lineup. My issue is when we play other teams that don't have those kind of players and AV tries to have him take regular shifts....the guy simply doesn't have the IQ or ability to take regular shifts day in and day out

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Brooks' tweet about him is so frustrating.

He's one of a very few people who can actually get at this. What does Glass bring in the eyes of the coach? Why is he in the lineup over other options? Ask the questions instead of making fun of people for wondering, Larry.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He is just simply not an everyday player, however in a game against Dallas that has Roussel and Garbutt (who is emerging as more and more of a dirty player) I don't think its the worst thing in the world to have a player like Glass in the lineup. My issue is when we play other teams that don't have those kind of players and AV tries to have him take regular shifts....the guy simply doesn't have the IQ or ability to take regular shifts day in and day out

Yeah bolded the biggest issue.

I have to say he had one really effective period in the 2nd last night, but that was it. He get's pinned inside the zone repeatedly.

PIT, a team that lacked the depth of the Rangers benched him last year in favor of marginal NHL players because he just doesn't add anything with the puck.

If Glass was throwing huge hits a couple of times a game and doing things to change momentum, fine, yeah then he deserves a spot in the line up, but it's not like he's doing that.

I think AV is a very very smart coach, so I certainly hope that there is a method to his madness.

Both Fast and Miller have been better at special teams roles than Stempniak. Glass hasn't been bad on the PK, I'll give him that, but its not like he's a primary option.

The Dallas team has a couple of real weasels so I understand having him there. Stempniak... not so much over Fast who has put in a solid effort every night without penalties and can PK.

JekkuNaama

Mar 29, 2006
He already had mumps, better hope he does something stupid.

You have to be more specific. He does something stupid every time he's out there.

Vancouver fans really knew what they were talking about. Having AV coach Glass just isn't a good idea. It's like choosing Boyle over Strålman or letting Kreider practice breakaways with Hank.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
It frustrates me to no end that the Kenny G and the Wolfpack can't develop a hard nosed grinder who can occasionally fight for the big club, The Rangers have to go out year after year and lock up some piece of garbage for three years for too much money when they could easily develop/promote ONE 4th liner on the farm.

Again, What the heck does Ken Gernander do ?

Dorsett was fine on the fourth line and he was traded to Vancouver 5 minutes after the cup was over.

You guys are right this guy is el stinko. But the problem is AV's mind set is if he thinks gonna be any kind of physical game he's putting in the rough and stumble Tanner Glass in.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It frustrates me to no end that the Kenny G and the Wolfpack can't develop a hard nosed grinder who can occasionally fight for the big club, The Rangers have to go out year after year and lock up some piece of garbage for three years for too much money when they could easily develop/promote ONE 4th liner on the farm.

Dorsett was fine on the fourth line and he was traded to Vancouver 5 minutes after the cup was over.

You guys are right this guy is el stinko. But the problem is AV's mind set is if he thinks gonna be any kind of physical game he's putting in the rough and stumble Tannger Glass in.

Not sure how much of it is because of Ken in particular, but many important cogs in this team spent time in Hartford and are now great NHL players.

The problem isn't signing fourth line tough guys, it's that this specific one is god-awful, and for some reason, the coach doesn't see it and every single beat writer is too something or other to ask about it. It's not a subjective problem that fans are overanalyzing anymore - by every statistic, and by all observations, Glass is a bad, bad player, even amongst the crowd of typical guys who play that role. Dorsett was alright. Carrillo was fine. T

here are other good players who could have been signed to provide what Glass is supposed to. I don't think that signing them is necessarily a problem, it's that this specific choice of player was/is wacky.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

You guys are right this guy is el stinko. But the problem is AV's mind set is if he thinks gonna be any kind of physical game he's putting in the rough and stumble Tannger Glass in.

We haven't even really given him many kids to work with that fit that mold, though. Dale Weise is pretty much the guy you're describing, and we gave up on him right when he was on the cusp of establishing himself. Dane Byers and Brodie Dupont were probably the next closest. Who else has there been? Yogan is an AHL/ECHL tweener. Jason Wilson was terrible. Who else? Zdenek Bahensky was that type of player but he never came over. Andreas Ambuhl, that guy we once signed, was also in that mold but sucked his one season and then left. I'm no fan of Company Man Ken, but I don't know that the organization in general has invested much in trying to develop these types of guys.

EDIT: Keegan Iverson and Michael Kantor fit this mold. Iverson is having a poor year in the Dub and Kantor is mysteriously MIA. Maybe it works out with one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad