Injury Report: Tanner Pearson: Broken Lower Leg; Nick Shore to be called up

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So even though he's older and has more professional experience, Weal is getting passed over for Shore.

Just thought I'd point that out to the people who keep clamoring for Weal to be called up, just how management views him on the depth chart.

CanadianKingsFan14

Jan 19, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So even though he's older and has more professional experience, Weal is getting passed over for Shore.

Just thought I'd point that out to the people who keep clamoring for Weal to be called up, just how management views him on the depth chart.

I believe Weal got injured last game and is out for 2 weeks. Got his fingers stepped on.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Fibula is better than tibia. Not to be a dick but with Toffoli and pearson out, that might save some money on their next contacts.

If Toffoli is out for a while, guaranteed for him. Pearson I think the only thing this could affect is his chance of a long-term deal. This injury pretty much guarantees he'll get a bridge deal now. To small of a sample size for a 4-5 year deal.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
If Toffoli is out for a while, guaranteed for him. Pearson I think the only thing this could affect is his chance of a long-term deal. This injury pretty much guarantees he'll get a bridge deal now. To small of a sample size for a 4-5 year deal.

I think Toffoli gets 2-3 years around $2-$3m and now Pearson will get like a 2 year deal around $1.2-$1.5m. Pearson will get Lewis money and Toffoli gets like a brown 2nd contract.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
It's not a matter of 'throwing in the towel' it's being realistic. This team prior to the TP and TT setback yesterday, was straddling the 8th playoff spot. And getting north of that down the stretch and getting thru the WC playoffs requires an upgrade at D. I think DL has been trying since OCt to get that elusive D but the price (seller's market) is too high. Even with the Kings not playing consistent and up thru the first half, as long as they didn't dip too far below 8 by 4 pts or more, he had time to wait to Mar 2.
That's gone now.

Even then the quality of competition within the division and conference is a lot tougher this year. The road to the SCF thru the WCF has changed and so has the team, as Sutter pointed out recently. Losing MItchell has hurt them, he was a huge part of their drive to that realm last year and he's gone now.

This team wasted a lot of points by playing lazy and disinterested too many shifts from Oct thru last night when they should have played better and banked those points for a situation like this when you get hit hard with injuries . Last year they had points in the bank when they took their 6 week dive and as a result, didn't lose a playoff spot.

Losing TT and TP cuts part of the guts of the top 6 and they lose two of their fastest and more dangerous players , and that will absolutely affect their chances of W's , esp vs teams that have youth and speed (like the Rags for ex.) and use it effectively.

TP- if it is an ankle, that's a weight bearing joint, 8 weeks off his feet and then a careful and potentially long rehab plan and that's w/o knowing the severity of the break and if the MRI shows ACL or MCL damage/tear.

TT_ Mono is a very serious affliction, tied to the Epstein Barr virus which debilitates the body and can cause a swollen spleen, which is dangerous. For most people, with normal jobs, it's months before their are back to feeling close to normal. That's not the same as playing something as taxing and grueling as hoickey 3 x week plus practice time. One of the first warnings in mono recovery is 'to avoid contact sports' . He's a huge part of their future and won't be rushed back. It's a serious illness, and most likely will affect him for a long time.

SOme team in this situation, have a wealth of talent to draw upon in the ir farm system and a coach who allows those young players to test their mettle and play big minutes, like Detroit did last year, when they got hit hard with injuries. Those young players really stepped up then when Babcock put fairh in them and this year are a large part of their success and growing roots for their future.

But Sutter is not Babcock, who is great developing and trusting youth. ANd the Kings doesn't have a wealth of talented wingers ready to come up, ONeill got hurt last night so he's not an option.

Shore should get the call but Sutter will most likely keep him as the extra and instead, roll Nolan, Clifford, etc.
He doesn't trust or is comfortable with youth, insteadof giving a top 6 prospect, with speed and talent a shot, he'll roll the 4th line vet wingers

So being realistic about this teams stance now, and who they have to play and what they have to overcome points and personnel lose wise, is not throwing in the towel.

Kings have faced much adversity in the past and I just don't think this is any worse. Maybe I'll eat my words but I think this is the same Kings team that has come through in the past.

cali101

Nov 23, 2014

you think they're just planning to trade him? they were going to bring him up in october but his chance was blocked due to caps. he was the last cut in camp and won a game in shoot out. so how do management view him do you think? just curious what you mean specifically.

DSuttersface

Dec 28, 2014
SoCal
Kings have faced much adversity in the past and I just don't think this is any worse. Maybe I'll eat my words but I think this is the same Kings team that has come through in the past.

You're right. People in this thread are acting like the season is over. It's only January and the main core of the team is still intact. I'm excited to see Shore and hopefully O'Neill/Weal (if they get the call and are healthy). Every year the Kings seem to go through a major slump around January and they always find a way out of it.

BamBam1031

Aug 8, 2008
Two years ago, I broke my fibula AND had mono. Out for three weeks. When I came back, I was bigger, faster, and stronger. After I grew my playoff beard, they started making beer commercials about me.

Seriously, though, losing TP and TT, on top of losing Slava, really hurts. Is this season over? Not yet, but it doesn't look good.

Best wishes to TP and TT for fast and complete recoveries.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

Weak is five months older!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gaborik-Kopitar-Carter
Brown-Stoll-Williams
King-Richards-Lewis
Clifford-Shore-Nolan

See On paper that's good for the meantime. I just think we need to do everything we can to keep Carter at center because he's the only 2c we have that isn't long term outmatched by other good teams. And he's just a totally different player there.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
They are going to play Shore, not sit him. I think they would have called up Vanderg if they wanted an extra vet to sit.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Weak is five months older!

You must be new here. Clearly only the first prospect to get recalled is good and any other prospect that is passed over is overrated/a bum/a bust/only an AHLer/not a favorite of management/took dirty pictures of Sutter's wife and/or mom and therefore will never see the light of the NHL while under the oppressive thumb of the Kings and needs to be traded away to (insert team that (insert poster here) feels is inferior to us here) for (insert expected insanely high return here) immediately.

P.S. :sarcasm:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Two years ago, I broke my fibula AND had mono. Out for three weeks. When I came back, I was bigger, faster, and stronger. After I grew my playoff beard, they started making beer commercials about me.

I know I'm using an old expression, but you're the bomb. :yo:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't see how Richards is going to get any top six time. Unless it's at Wing.

I think part of the reduced minutes Richards gets, is because that's all he can play. He can't keep energy levels up passed 12 or 14 minutes. How is Richards going to keep up with Carter ?

If Carter is going to play wing, his Center has to able to skate with him.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
You must be new here. Clearly only the first prospect to get recalled is good and any other prospect that is passed over is overrated/a bum/a bust/only an AHLer/not a favorite of management/took dirty pictures of Sutter's wife and/or mom and therefore will never see the light of the NHL while under the oppressive thumb of the Kings and needs to be traded away to (insert team that (insert poster here) feels is inferior to us here) for (insert expected insanely high return here) immediately.

P.S. :sarcasm:

Good one!

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Seems to me that defining "broken" runs the whole range of a hairline fracture all the way through a compound fracture/shattering. Seems silly to declare his season over just yet. Hopefully it leans toward the hairline fracture.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Richards as a top 6 may be a bad idea but if it has to happen, it is more beneficial that the faster player (Carter) be on the wing. Teams tend to defend the centre of the ice so fast wings will have an advantage and a bit more room to make a play. The two wings can chase pucks and forecheck while Richards can just hang back and be in position when it comes time to backcheck. Brown can skate, put him on LW so he can keep up with Carter.

Gab-Kopi-JW
Brown-MR-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Cliff-AHLer/Nolan/Andy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad