GDT: Tankhawks @ Tankyotes 8:00PM CT NSCH - Tank Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
This team should have had BOTH Panarin and Shmaltz, if they had both then this team might not be sucking so much right now. Where this Shmaltz replacing Panarin crap came from I really dont understand. This team is missing two top 6 players and Panarin would have filled one of those spots...

I don't know why anybody is saying Schmaltz is the Panarin replacement. If you ask me, that guy is DeBrincat.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bowman needs to lock Schmaltz up. 5+ years for 5-6m aav.. Give him Anisimov’s money and trade AA for a defenseman on an ELC or a 1st.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don't know why anybody is saying Schmaltz is the Panarin replacement. If you ask me, that guy is DeBrincat.

Exactly, and if DeBrincat played the entire season with Kane and received PP minutes then he’s likely closer to 30 goals. Would seem logical the Hawks management banked on replacing Panarin with a similar player in DeBrincat and replace Hossa with a similar player in Saad. Latter part didn’t pan out. The former could if Q wasn’t such an oompa loompa.

Reactions: ThatSaid

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Seabrook had signs of a decline already in 14-15, but he came back big as our only RHD who we could depend on during that cup run, and tricked this organization into signing a huge contract for him.

Every season since has been a more noticeable decline, especially speed wise. The last two years he at least had his shot and stretch pass still, but both those aspects in his game have started to vanish.

Keith never had a good shot, outside the 15 cup run when he played like he was possessed. We've joked for years here how his shot is always "high and wide", but it's become a bit worse this season.

He still has a good gap and a good stick defensively, but he's not generating much on the back-end and Q stupidly puts Oesterle, who is a third pairing guy at best defensively, with him instead of a more steady shutdown presence like Murphy. So that pair does little while playing a lot. We did have a shutdown pair of Forsling-Rutta earlier in the season which helped give Keith easier minutes, but Rutta got injured and couldn't quite regain his form, and Forsling (whose super young at only 21), became inconsistent after Rutta got injured and he got different partners.

1. Yes, there were signs. No, it wasn't a particular injury or anything like that. I don't think many expected him to barely be a 3rd pairing D-man at this point, but some certainly did. Frankly, when he signed the contract I thought it was about 2 million AAV too much, but it's turned out to be much worse than that. You'll find very few fans who thought that contract was good value when it was signed. Take into account the term on the deal, and we were all kicking and screaming when he signed it.

2. Keith has been carrying defensive dead weight for the entire season. He's checked out these last 10 games, but his decline seems to be slow and steady rather than off a cliff. Still a very good #1 D man if he's put with the right guy, and his contract will be one of the things that keeps the team's window open if we make the correct changes. I think a lot of it is frustration. He's got the third most shots on the team at 133 and still hasn't scored his first goal. Defensively, he's still the best D-man on the team. Would benefit a lot from playing his time with Murphy, but Q insists on putting a 3rd pairing guy (Oesterle) who's a LHS and not very good in his own zone. He'll bounce back next year.

Thanks for the clarification. Hope your team turns it around soon, bad contracts or not, core needs to be used properly. They should fire GM and coach so players can refocus and go a new direction. Or at least a different vision.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't want to ask on Nationals since i know people hate on teams with recent success, so I'll ask the fans directly.

1. Was there an injury that caused Seabrook to fall off the map? And if not, was it sudden or was there signs?

2. What's going on with Keith? He doesn't seem to be trying from what I saw, he has a good shot but whats with the goals?

Parting note as a Kings fan.. You can't fire the coach/gm when it gets to this point. Lombardi and Sutter both had to go for the Kings to come back.
not sure about Bowman too, but Q should see his last games as Hawks Coach. Bowman hasn't had a different Coach and I don't see them fire both. More like Bowman gets his Chance on a different Coach and if that Fails too you have 2 lost years and clean house. If it happens, it happens and I think most feel a bit more indifferent now than 2 years ago. I'm in the Q is worse than Bowman boat, but have faults and are replaceable.

Schmaltz and DeBrincat look good, two of the recent guys brought in by Bowman. It's more the old guys doing less than they should. Getting Duclair helped transforming this Team to a younger faster.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
what i got out from the game is a positive item.... too bad it is only 1 item that was out there. here it is, this is a great milestone like item of news. a very quiet 20 goals and 15 assist. that is right, 20 goals and this rookie yr, barely playing top minutes and at what game of this season ?? congrats to D-cat.

Alex DeBrincat Stats and News

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
It's shaping up quite nicely to keep dropping for that top 5 pick.
That's what this team needs ... a NHL ready top 5 pick, a new coach, and some slight shuffling of the current group with 4 or 5 leaving ( Sharp, Wingels, Bouma, Jurco, Rutta, Kempny ) to get a bunch more picks. I would also seriously consider moving Saad for the right package ( 1st plus a young promising top 6 forward or top 4 D )

migi

Feb 25, 2015
If we get top-winger from the draft, I wouldnt hesitate moving Saad for right package (Dman). Boqvist and Dahlin are must-take picks though if available but if there is a trade to be made for a Dman, I would draft Zadina, Tkachuk or Svechnikov.

Trouba or Faulk maybe. Obviously a free-agent signing is something to look at too (Carlson).

Faulk is cheaper and if Canes are slotting Aho as center, Saad for Faulk doesnt look that much off. If we are after Trouba, Saad + something.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Exactly, and if DeBrincat played the entire season with Kane and received PP minutes then he’s likely closer to 30 goals. Would seem logical the Hawks management banked on replacing Panarin with a similar player in DeBrincat and replace Hossa with a similar player in Saad. Latter part didn’t pan out. The former could if Q wasn’t such an oompa loompa.

Long term it is Cat but I am talking production from last year to this year.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If we get top-winger from the draft, I wouldnt hesitate moving Saad for right package (Dman). Boqvist and Dahlin are must-take picks though if available but if there is a trade to be made for a Dman, I would draft Zadina, Tkachuk or Svechnikov.

Trouba or Faulk maybe. Obviously a free-agent signing is something to look at too (Carlson).

Faulk is cheaper and if Canes are slotting Aho as center, Saad for Faulk doesnt look that much off. If we are after Trouba, Saad + something.

I would think Faulk would cost a decent amount more than Saad.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's shaping up quite nicely to keep dropping for that top 5 pick.
That's what this team needs ... a NHL ready top 5 pick, a new coach, and some slight shuffling of the current group with 4 or 5 leaving ( Sharp, Wingels, Bouma, Jurco, Rutta, Kempny ) to get a bunch more picks. I would also seriously consider moving Saad for the right package ( 1st plus a young promising top 6 forward or top 4 D )
does anyone really think any teams would want these players ??

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I would think Faulk would cost a decent amount more than Saad.

Maybe, I’m not sure. Obviously Canes fans wants Faulk for Nylander kind of trade but the year Faulk is having AND Aho is going to be slotted to C, I think something around Saad could be good trade.

Saad + Hartman for Faulk?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Maybe, I’m not sure. Obviously Canes fans wants Faulk for Nylander kind of trade but the year Faulk is having AND Aho is going to be slotted to C, I think something around Saad could be good trade.

I don't think I'd include Hartman in that deal. I feel like Hartman is having a sophomore slump season, and will eventually produce as a second liner.

Reactions: migi

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

I’d do that. I think Hartman ends up an average 3rd liner at best.

Reactions: migi

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
( Sharp, Wingels, Bouma, Jurco, Rutta, Kempny ) I mentioned these guys LDF merely as they will all probably not be with us next season with the exception of maybe Rutta or Kempny so why not try and get a couple 4th or 5th rounders and maybe even a 3rd?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
There's a chance he's that as well. He's a weird player, but I look at his 19 5v5 goals on an 11.2 shooting percentage last year, and think that's not something a typical third-liner can do.

Yeah, he can go either way. I’m just not very high on him.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
not sure about Bowman too, but Q should see his last games as Hawks Coach. Bowman hasn't had a different Coach and I don't see them fire both. More like Bowman gets his Chance on a different Coach and if that Fails too you have 2 lost years and clean house. If it happens, it happens and I think most feel a bit more indifferent now than 2 years ago. I'm in the Q is worse than Bowman boat, but have faults and are replaceable.

Schmaltz and DeBrincat look good, two of the recent guys brought in by Bowman. It's more the old guys doing less than they should. Getting Duclair helped transforming this Team to a younger faster.

Bubba!

What ?!

You stated that "More like Bowman gets his Chance on a different Coach and if that Fails too" !!! Are you serious that the Bowman/Quinnville combo failed! They won 3 Cups! They fashioned the winningest era in Blackhawks history. They have been the most successful combo of the entire NHL in the last 10 years.

Failed?!! if Q and Bowman failed than every single GM/coach in the NHL without exception this past decade have failed --- with 90% failing far, far worse.

Now I too think the time for Q to go is here. But to assert that the Bowman/Q team has been anything other than wildly successful is absurd. The ship has sailed, yes --- change is welcome --- but what was was AMAZING and Q should be thanked and honored for his incredible contributions to Hawks hockey.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

23-26 year old players still have a lot of value. Especially talented ones. Just because they're having down years does not mean they lose all their value.

If you think teams wouldn't want guys like Saad and Hartman you're crazy.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
What's crazy is, this might not even be rock bottom yet. Sure feels like it, but it may not be.

Full on embracing being bad at this point. Once the playoffs were out of the picture, might as well be as bad as possible. It's going to be odd this draft to be looking so intently at the top of the 1st round unlike previous years where the Hawks are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad