GDT: Tankhawks @ Tankyotes 8:00PM CT NSCH - Tank Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What's crazy is, this might not even be rock bottom yet. Sure feels like it, but it may not be.

Full on embracing being bad at this point. Once the playoffs were out of the picture, might as well be as bad as possible. It's going to be odd this draft to be looking so intently at the top of the 1st round unlike previous years where the Hawks are concerned.

It's definitely odd to see this top-end elite talent being potentially available when the Hawks pick.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's been a really long time since they've been in that running.

10 years. I'll take a pick anywhere in the top 10, honestly. I think any of those picks is safely someone who can come in and be a legitimate star/game breaking talent. Top 5 would just be icing on the cake. That's likely an elite player immediately on the roster next season if they can scratch their way down to a top 5 pick. The bonus of being in the bottom 5... you can still win the lotto for #1OA a la Kaner. Could you imagine the league-wide, fanbase-wide outrage if the Hawks were to steal the #1OA again? :laugh:

It would be glorious. And HF would have a meltdown.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
10 years. I'll take a pick anywhere in the top 10, honestly. I think any of those picks is safely someone who can come in and be a legitimate star/game breaking talent. Top 5 would just be icing on the cake. That's likely an elite player immediately on the roster next season if they can scratch their way down to a top 5 pick. The bonus of being in the bottom 5... you can still win the lotto for #1OA a la Kaner. Could you imagine the league-wide, fanbase-wide outrage if the Hawks were to steal the #1OA again? :laugh:

It would but I expect a meltdown of some sort either way. This place seems to be in denial about the fact the Hawks are going to be picking high in this draft. Just let us win a top 3 pick in the lotto.

Reactions: LDF

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

I want them to win the draft lottery for no other reason than to see the internet melt. And of course, it'd yield a great player. This year, those top 5 are all very likely NHL players right away. Some from 6-10 have a shot and will compete and make decisions tough in camp but could be another year away. That would be ok, but if they can land themselves someone who is NHL ready that would be outstanding.

I really don't think this thing is AS bad as it feels right now. There's a lot of work to be done, decisions to be made, but this thing can get righted pretty quickly next season. I'm not saying they'll be a top 3 franchise again, but they can get competitive again quickly and be in the mix as a team that can make some noise. It's not a huge stretch when you lay it all on the table.

Something to really remember as well, and it's been pointed out a bit in here, but the cap is a nasty bitch not only to the Blackhawks, but the entire league. Other currently good teams are going to face their own issues the next year to three years. It's very likely going to keep anyone from running away with dominance and may knock some teams down a peg. Even with the cap going up, you have other teams with some very tough decisions to make and guys will be moving.

The window is closed as of today, but it's not locked.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Would you trade that pick for the rights to Hanifin or Trouba? That'd give you an elite and young defenseman that you can plug into your top pairing next season.

With Hanifin, you'd only be sacrificing about three+ years of age (since he's 21 and rookies will be 18) and you'd have to pay him big bucks immediately. But that cuts out the two to three years you'd be waiting for the rookies to develop into elite NHLers, so you'd be able to use Hanifin's elite talent while Kane is still in his prime, and still have Hanifin being a #1 for the next decade.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
The Hawks winning the 1OA would incite some good outrage but not as much as if Edmonton won it again for the umpteenth time! It's been 11 years since we drafted Kaner at 1st OA.
I'll be ecstatic to be drafting in the top 5 but even the top 10 is super nice!
Still like a player like Tkachuk for this franchise ...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Would you trade that pick for the rights to Hanifin or Trouba? That'd give you an elite and young defenseman that you can plug into your top pairing next season.

With Hanifin, you'd only be sacrificing about three+ years of age (since he's 21 and rookies will be 18) and you'd have to pay him big bucks immediately. But that cuts out the two to three years you'd be waiting for the rookies to develop into elite NHLers, so you'd be able to use Hanifin's elite talent while Kane is still in his prime, and still have Hanifin being a #1 for the next decade.

No, I don't think I would.

I'll take the top 5 OA pick, honestly. Especially if you can land the #1OA and get Dahlin. I mean... Trouba and Hanifin are really good, don't get me wrong. I don't think they'll ever be what Dahlin projects to be, though.

I guess it's a toss-up. If the Hawks land somewhere in the top 7-10 area, I might be willing to move it for Trouba or Hanifin, but I don't think I'd include anything else in that deal. Simply a one for one swap of that pick for one of them.

Top 6OA, I'd say keep the pick.

Especially because you can land Trouba or Hanifin via offer-sheet, potentially. With the cap going up as much as it is, the Hawks will have some money to play with in regards to FAs or RFAs of other teams.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully the hawks draft in the top five and sign a good free agent defenseman. I actually think they are better off at forward than they are producing and the backend needs fixed.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No, I don't think I would.

I'll take the top 5 OA pick, honestly. Especially if you can land the #1OA and get Dahlin. I mean... Trouba and Hanifin are really good, don't get me wrong. I don't think they'll ever be what Dahlin projects to be, though.

I guess it's a toss-up. If the Hawks land somewhere in the top 7-10 area, I might be willing to move it for Trouba or Hanifin, but I don't think I'd include anything else in that deal. Simply a one for one swap of that pick for one of them.

Top 5OA, I'd say keep the pick.

Especially because you can land Trouba or Hanifin via offer-sheet, potentially. With the cap going up as much as it is, the Hawks will have some money to play with in regards to FAs or RFAs of other teams.

If it's the 1OA and Dahlin, obviously it's not a question. I was thinking of the 7-10 range pick though.

I'd be tempted.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If it's the 1OA and Dahlin, obviously it's not a question. I was thinking of the 7-10 range pick though.

I'd be tempted.

Only if it's a straight up swap. Not sure on the rules, but can a player's RFA rights be traded prior to a contract negotiation, and then said player signs an offer-sheet from a different team, and the team who traded for their rights loses their pick, as well as the player because they don't want to match the offer?

I guess the scenario I'm asking about is this:

Hawks trade #8OA for Hanifin's RFA rights. Hanifin signs an offer-sheet from NHL Team X. Hawks don't match for whatever reason. They then lose the #8OA for nothing? I'm not sure how this scenario works.

I know that if Hanifin signed if the Hawks matched, he can't be traded by the Hawks for a year. But how does that work if the Hawks trade for his rights? I would think that would be a huge potential reason for not moving that #8OA, also. Even though offer-sheets rarely occur that aren't matched by the original team holding his rights.

Obviously you would still get compensated... but not to the level you would if you had your #8OA still, right? Depends on the team, and where their picks are, I guess.

But I have no idea about this scenario as I'm not that versed in that portion of the CBA.

Reactions: LDF

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Only if it's a straight up swap. Not sure on the rules, but can a player's RFA rights be traded prior to a contract negotiation, and then said player signs an offer-sheet from a different team, and the team who traded for their rights loses their pick, as well as the player because they don't want to match the offer?

I guess the scenario I'm asking about is this:

Hawks trade #8OA for Hanifin's RFA rights. Hanifin signs an offer-sheet from NHL Team X. Hawks don't match for whatever reason. They then lose the #8OA for nothing? I'm not sure how this scenario works.

I know that if Hanifin signed if the Hawks matched, he can't be traded by the Hawks for a year. But how does that work if the Hawks trade for his rights? I would think that would be a huge potential reason for not moving that #8OA, also. Even though offer-sheets rarely occur that aren't matched by the original team holding his rights.

Obviously you would still get compensated... but not to the level you would if you had your #8OA still, right? Depends on the team, and where their picks are, I guess.

But I have no idea about this scenario as I'm not that versed in that portion of the CBA.

That would be a nightmare scenario, and one that I would assume be avoided by quickly locking up Hanifin to a longterm deal right after the trade.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

I think we thought the same thing about Cam Barker.

I'm not saying a top pick wouldn't be awesome, but I think there is some onus on scouting to pick up another player who can be a top player and not fizzle out, like Barker or Beach. Then there's an onus on the development not to ruin them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm just at the lose with dignity stage. Let our younger guys keep developing and growing into NHLers and hope that the vets bring their A game next year and that Crow's healthy.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I'm not saying a top pick wouldn't be awesome, but I think there is some onus on scouting to pick up another player who can be a top player and not fizzle out, like Barker or Beach. Then there's an onus on the development not to ruin them.

Good point. Still think this draft has far more no-doubters than there have been recently. And in the 04 draft, quite a few in the top 10 have carved out a solid NHL career. It's probably at least 6 or 7 of them.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
That he did. But I do think that it puts a lot of onus on development and scouting. If the 'hawks want the impending rebuild to go as quickly as possible, then we can't really afford a Barker--both in draft and development. If that means picking a guy with a couple of years of development but a sure thing over a "maybe" that can be iced now, we go with the sure thing--even if that means another year of sucking.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

That's another case for moving that pick in the theoretical Hanifin trade.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That he did. But I do think that it puts a lot of onus on development and scouting. If the 'hawks want the impending rebuild to go as quickly as possible, then we can't really afford a Barker--both in draft and development. If that means picking a guy with a couple of years of development but a sure thing over a "maybe" that can be iced now, we go with the sure thing--even if that means another year of sucking.

The development and scouting portion of the Hawks organization is far, far, far better than it was back then, also. Which makes their top 10 pick that much more of a sure thing, IMO.

Reactions: LordKOTL

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

100%. Stan must hit with this top pick and the potential other 1st rounder that I believe AA will return. If he can do that (personally I think he will) this team will quickly move toward contending again.

The NH concept is nice but having talent on ELC deals is better in my opinion.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Agreed, but it also means we shouldn't be giving up bluechip picks or prospects to bandaid the problems *now*. Depending on who can be moved (waiving a clause is never a sure thing), is we assume worst-case, We got a lot of cap in aging guys until 2023-2024. The guys we get should be coming on right about then. Not now, Not next year, but then--otherwise we may not have the cap to sign them.

I.E. Why give up guys like El Gato, Snuggie, or The Joker for a player who may not even be here when TKKS's contracts are up? That makes no sense.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Talent on ELC deals is KEY moving forward. You keep the 1st rounder, regardless. It is going to be top 10.

You try to acquire another 1st rounder, as well. And get that 2nd rounder back. This is a deep draft. Anyone you pick in the 1st round will make this team next season, or compete for a spot.

Hawks should be entertaining offers for Anisimov, Rutta, Kempny, and Wingels. They have value.

If you can get someone to move a nearly NHL ready D prospect for Hartman...you do it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Talent on ELC deals is KEY moving forward. You keep the 1st rounder, regardless. It is going to be top 10.

You try to acquire another 1st rounder, as well. And get that 2nd rounder back. This is a deep draft. Anyone you pick in the 1st round will make this team next season, or compete for a spot.

Hawks should be entertaining offers for Anisimov, Rutta, Kempny, and Wingels. They have value.

If you can get someone to move a nearly NHL ready D prospect for Hartman...you do it.

This.

If Stan isn't doing the bold, well then the team needs to re-evaluate him as well (after the draft imo).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This.

If Stan isn't doing the bold, well then the team needs to re-evaluate him as well (after the draft imo).

I think he will be. The play of Schmaltz at center has pretty much cemented Anisimov being a bottom six center on this team going forward... Wingels and Bouma need to go just so Q can't continue to trot him out there with DeBrincat. You talk to Kempny and see what interest he has in coming back next season in a "new system". I think he 100% walks with the way he's been handled here, though. And it's a shame, because he will be a solid NHL defenseman elsewhere. Rutta...I don't know. I saw potential earlier this season, but he was never the same after coming back from injury. And Q really didn't give him a good run of games once he fell in love with Oesterle. It takes consistent playing time to get back in the groove. Especially in your first year in the NHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad