Tank Watch

What draft pick do you think we end up with in the 1st round?

• Total voters

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Ok lets say we hypothetically get Rasmus Dahlin, and in 2-3 years Jokiharju develops.

Dahlin-Murphy
Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Seabrook/Mitchell
*Seabrook hopefully bought out by then..

Is this a Stanley Cup Contending core?

Looks good to me but it ain’t happening, we ain’t getting Dahlin

I mean one can wish but this team is picking 5-10 , hope I am wrong!

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Nobody knows what these guys are going to develop into. I’m high on Mitchell. I am still high on Forsling. Doesn’t mean a thing and I’m not penciling them in.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Looking at the standings, and barring any unforseen winning streak from a team below them, it looks like the Hawks are going to finish no better than seventh to last, and possibly eighth or ninth. There’s a fair bit of separation between the bottom six and the rest.

As an aside, it’s unfathomable that Edmonton sucks so badly once again that they’re in the mix for 1OA.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Looking at the standings, and barring any unforseen winning streak from a team below them, it looks like the Hawks are going to finish no better than seventh to last, and possibly eighth or ninth. There’s a fair bit of separation between the bottom six and the rest.

As an aside, it’s unfathomable that Edmonton sucks so badly once again that they’re in the mix for 1OA.

How is it unfathomable? Their management and brass suck so hard they could start a leafblower.

'hawk fans, of all fans, should know what it's like to have some of the worst management the hockey world has ever seen.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
How is it unfathomable? Their management and brass suck so hard they could start a leafblower.

'hawk fans, of all fans, should know what it's like to have some of the worst management the hockey world has ever seen.
Part of the difficulty they're having is that their top picks haven't spent any time in the minors learning the game, and more importantly, learning how to win. The kids should have spent a year or two in the AHL, maturing physically and mentally against competition they could dominate.

Unfortunately, a losing culture begets losing games...vicious circle when the competitive margin between teams is so tight. Hawks have to be wary to avoid this with the youngsters going forward.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Part of the difficulty they're having is that their top picks haven't spent any time in the minors learning the game, and more importantly, learning how to win. The kids should have spent a year or two in the AHL, maturing physically and mentally against competition they could dominate.

Unfortunately, a losing culture begets losing games...vicious circle when the competitive margin between teams is so tight. Hawks have to be wary to avoid this with the youngsters going forward.

Which top prospects of their's do you feel this way about?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Which top prospects of their's do you feel this way about?
Probably everyone excluding McDavid and perhaps Hall. Not saying they should spend 3-4 years learning the trade like Detroit does...that's overdoing it. But half to a full year would have been reasonable. Tough league to play in at 18 yo, particularly when a quarter of the team is adjusting as well. Nurture them in a system where they succeed against slightly lesser competition, then let them loose.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Probably everyone excluding McDavid and perhaps Hall. Not saying they should spend 3-4 years learning the trade like Detroit does...that's overdoing it. But half to a full year would have been reasonable. Tough league to play in at 18 yo, particularly when a quarter of the team is adjusting as well. Nurture them in a system where they succeed against slightly lesser competition, then let them loose.

Top 5 picks, and particularly number 1OA picks are expected to come in NHL ready most the time. IMO at least.

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
Another problem with instilling a winning culture in the young locker room is having your two player leaders underperforming, even grossly negligent , in performance, effort, and ambition.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Top 5 picks, and particularly number 1OA picks are expected to come in NHL ready most the time. IMO at least.
I understand this. Just saying that these boys were thrown to the wolves on a team with a losing culture. Five years of extraordinarily high picks... management should have recognized the failure of that plan.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Arizona is on a 4 game winning streak. :laugh:

Not many teams playing worse than the Hawks right now. The sky is the limit.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t follow prospects much so trying to get a better grasp on just how great if a prospect Dahlin is....

If he and McDavid came out in the same draft would it even be a debate or would McDavid still be the #1OA without a thought?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I don’t follow prospects much so trying to get a better grasp on just how great if a prospect Dahlin is....

If he and McDavid came out in the same draft would it even be a debate or would McDavid still be the #1OA without a thought?

I think McDavid still would've been consensus #1 overall but it's not a bad question. Would have been a healthy debate, much more so than it was with Eichel.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

No debate. McDavid easily.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
McDavid would've been the unanimous #1 draft pick for literally every draft since Crosby's, and that isn't changing this year or seemingly in the next couple years. He was the definition of a generational prospect.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

the better question would be:

Dahlin vs Jack Hughes (2019) draft.

Hughes looks to be walking away with the #1 spot right now, if he is the real deal like Matthews and Kane were, I have a hard time seeing anyone take a defender over an elite forward...regardless of how good that young dman will be. forwards turn franchises around quicker, at least that is what it seems the past decade (Chicago, Pitt, Edmonton...ummm wait a sec on them lol)

pnch40

May 31, 2015
Made back up some of the ground we lost by going 3/4. Back to 8.

19 games left. I have 12 losses at least which is likely going to be right around the 6-8 slot. Really need to rally that tank

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
LaFreniere is better than all 3.

Dahlin is an exciting young talent but he still is playing on different ice and in a different country. Isn’t like McDavid. I think he would have went 3 in that draft even behind Eichel. Just how GMs are.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Dahlin goes #2 behind McDavid. Dahlin is impressiv and that at such a Young age. Guy has Norris written all over him and the sky is the Limit.
McDavid is just another Level.

I'd like a Top7 pick. I like the Top7/8 guys.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I voted 8 when this came out and I am standing by that - a top 10 pick will be nice, hopefully it is used on pure skill regardless of position (just no flipping goalie!!) nab a goalie with our 3rd and 5th if we have them on our board at those picks..

pnch40

May 31, 2015
Updated the draft picks. Even with us unfortunately moving down to #8 they still have us slotted to pick Bouchard. We picking #3 tho bc lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad