Tank season 2017-2018

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
I just want to be entertained by sharks hockey. I see this fake fans thing being tossed around and it’s like way to go crapping on the season before it even starts. I don’t expect the sharks to be a cup contender but I’ll be damned if I’m rooting for a full tank job.

I am most certainly not a "fake fan". Been a fan since 1992 (same as Golden State Warriors). I always advocated Warriors tank to get the best draft pick and re-build. We all know how it turned out. Now, the points that Burke cannot draft is very valid, and I agree. So we need to do a 2 step:

1. Fire DW and Burke
2. Tank

If you don't like it, enjoy 5 more years of mediocre hockey team. In sports, you need to be either really good or really bad (to have a chance to re-build through the draft). We are clearly neither.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I just want to be entertained by sharks hockey. I see this fake fans thing being tossed around and it’s like way to go crapping on the season before it even starts. I don’t expect the sharks to be a cup contender but I’ll be damned if I’m rooting for a full tank job.

I'll follow the team regardless of how bad it gets whether it's results or it's entertainment. This team doesn't seem built to be entertaining other than Brent Burns. So if they're not winning, they're not really all that fun to watch. Their miss of the playoffs was pretty good evidence of that. And they just don't have anyone with that kind of talent that make them must-see. I don't actively root for a full tank job but it's pretty much the best solution to making the team transition from the players they got to the next era of players needed to compete for a Cup.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

No one is a better fan than any other because they have differing views over what is in the best interest of the team they root for

There is no moral or ethical superiority to be had for the manner in which one chooses to support this overpriced commercial entertainment product we all love and enjoy

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It gets to a grey area when you actively try to bum other fans out thereby infringing on their enjoyment of the team. In a real sense you are threatening their entertainment dollar, and they have every right to be pissed about that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well Brouwer is apparently a huge possibility to be traded so this is DW's first test as tank GM! Make it happen

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Some people want to be entertained, some people want to win a Cup. Neither motivation for loving the Sharks is better than the other, but I know which one a GM should have.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I'm in the wait and see camp. we signed Jumbo to a 1 year contract so the team is definitely trying to all in it this year. however, if things don't work out, I hope we trade anyone that has value to recoup some extra picks.

But until then, just gotta believe in the team for the time being. Next year I believe we will begin our tank/rebuild stage regardless of what happens

Last edited:

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
My motivation this year is watching some of our young guys show what they have with the big club. Assuming they get a fair shot of course... what's the point of planting a seed if it never sees sunlight?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm in the wait and see camp. we signed Jumbo to a 1 year contract so the team is definitely trying to all in it this year. however, if things don't work out, I hope we trade anyone that has value to recoup some extra picks.

But until then, just gotta believe in the team for the time being. Next year I believe we will begin our tank/rebuild stage regardless of what happens

The team isn't trying that hard to be all in it this year. If they were, they'd have made arrangements to keep Schlemko or replace him with someone similar and/or kept Marleau or picked someone up to replace him. They didn't do that. I mean, it's understandable that they're replacing from within on those spots but it's not something an all-in team does. They don't let proven contributors go for nothing and hope prospects work out. They replace proven contributors with other proven contributors unless they have some obvious talent coming up. Sharks don't have that.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm pretty indifferent to where this team may or will finish. The inevitable 13th-20th overall pick. It's kind of like saying, "You're good, but not good enough."

I'm with Jux on this one, I think Burke's days are and should be numbered (maybe like 3-4 years ago).

We've had some decent skill come through drafts but growth stagnates. Taking these safe-picks is setting this team back. We should be at the stage of where this is finally the "last" attempt at a run (Insert Favre reference here), and the development of integral prospects should be the talking points. Rather, the talking points have become are the sophomores good enough to take another step?

I'm worried the organization took a "swing" on Goldobin and saw that it didn't pay off the way they expected and will now forever live in the abyss of taking big bodied, hard on the puck, bricks on his skates; prospects.

Yeesh.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I also really want to new more exciting (read less risk averse) system, because right now the team is so boring to watch and the main enjoyment is when goals go in (but not necessarily the plays leading up to it), which means if the Sharks aren't winning it is a snoozefest. We did have a spike of enjoyment to the system when Donskoi first showed up, but then everything went back downhill. Boo. My views are plenty of bad teams can survive a tank even if it isnt comfortable, and fans will come back if it is done right.

So, all in all, this fan wants:
New less risk averse system
Proper Tank (Threats of relocation or profit be damned)
New Scouts that are in touch with the direction the NHL is headed (read skill and speed based)

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm pretty indifferent to where this team may or will finish. The inevitable 13th-20th overall pick. It's kind of like saying, "You're good, but not good enough."

I'm with Jux on this one, I think Burke's days are and should be numbered (maybe like 3-4 years ago).

We've had some decent skill come through drafts but growth stagnates. Taking these safe-picks is setting this team back. We should be at the stage of where this is finally the "last" attempt at a run (Insert Favre reference here), and the development of integral prospects should be the talking points. Rather, the talking points have become are the sophomores good enough to take another step?

I'm worried the organization took a "swing" on Goldobin and saw that it didn't pay off the way they expected and will now forever live in the abyss of taking big bodied, hard on the puck, bricks on his skates; prospects.

Yeesh.

This is a HUGE concern of mine. While Goldobin may not have worked out, the thought process behind taking him was sound. But if they see his failure as a failure of the thought process, they’ll keep taking Muellers and Meiers and Norrises forever.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Some people want to be entertained, some people want to win a Cup. Neither motivation for loving the Sharks is better than the other, but I know which one a GM should have.

But don’t you go into the season knowing the sharks are not cup contenders and adjust accordingly. While Doug Wilson isn’t on Jed York levels, I’m kind of tired of him as our GM. He did nothing this offseason and hopefully his faith in the younger guys pay off. Still you go into a season with expectations and mine are pretty low. I think the most realistic shit we have for winning a cup now is finding a GM and really be serious about getting younger.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But don’t you go into the season knowing the sharks are not cup contenders and adjust accordingly. While Doug Wilson isn’t on Jed York levels, I’m kind of tired of him as our GM. He did nothing this offseason and hopefully his faith in the younger guys pay off. Still you go into a season with expectations and mine are pretty low. I think the most realistic **** we have for winning a cup now is finding a GM and really be serious about getting younger.

That comes down to Hasso being willing to eat the cost of having a losing team in this market while drafting and developing the talent needed to compete again. It also comes down to him being able to choose the right guy for the job and there's really no evidence to show one way or the other what he's capable of in that regard.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Another case against tanking for a top-3 pick: we don't have to spend 10-12-15 million+ over 8 years to try and retain them no matter how much they've underachieved in their first 2 seasons (looking at you, Buffalo).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Another case against tanking for a top-3 pick: we don't have to spend 10-12-15 million+ over 8 years to try and retain them no matter how much they've underachieved in their first 2 seasons (looking at you, Buffalo).

Lol is this supposed to be about Eichel? Eichel is a superstar and easily worth that money. It’s hilarious how many people think paying Eichel $10M a season is crippling but don’t blink when their team pays the Mikkel Boedkers of the world $4M.

Pay your superstars whatever they want. Be smart about paying your depth.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Lol is this supposed to be about Eichel? Eichel is a superstar and easily worth that money. It’s hilarious how many people think paying Eichel $10M a season is crippling but don’t blink when their team pays the Mikkel Boedkers of the world $4M.

Pay your superstars whatever they want. Be smart about paying your depth.

If you keep paying superstars more than what they're worth, you won't have money to buy depth of any kind.

Eichel has potential, but theres no way he's worth more than Crosby and equal to McDavid on any planet. It's an overpayment no matter how you slice it.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If you keep paying superstars more than what they're worth, you won't have money to buy depth of any kind.

Eichel has potential, but theres no way he's worth more than Crosby and equal to McDavid on any planet. It's an overpayment no matter how you slice it.

Well, seeing as he doesn’t make equal money as McDavid and we all know that Crosby gave Pittsburgh an insane discount, I don’t think you have a leg to stand on. But your “Eichel has potential but has underachieved” stance is frankly baffling. Have you ever watched him play? Have you ever seen the Sabres when he’s not on the ice? HF will have you believe that Matthews has surpassed Eichel but that isn’t true at all; they’re interchangeable at this point. Eichel scored at a 77 point pace last year, which would have put him 8th in the league.

And my main point is: you don’t need to buy depth. Smart teams don’t give Melker Karlssons the contract that Doug Wilson gave him. What is it you think Eichel is worth? $8M? That would be less than Draisaitl, a player who has yet to play a full NHL season without McDavid or Hall stapled to his side, hasn’t actually proven he’s a legit #1C, and is objectively worse than Eichel. So the difference between overpaying Eichel and underpaying Eichel is a Melker Karlsson. Simple solution: don’t sign Melker Karlsson, and instead replace him with a guy on a league minimum contract. Problem solved. Overpaying stars is never what screws teams over. It’s overpaying depth.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
rosby took an insane discount. His team won 3 Cups as a result.

The Kings didn't overpay Kopitar and Doughty. Their team won 2 Cups as a result.

The Bruins didn't overpay Seguin. They ended up not keeping him, but at least they won a Cup while they still had him.

Kane and Toews? Not overpayed. The Hawks won 2 Cups as a result.

What the f*** has Edmonton and Buffalo won?

at least Edmonton has somewhat of a formidable team. Buffalo hasn't even made the goddamn playoffs with Eichel. It's almost as if *gasp* Buffalo needs all the money they can on quality depth.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, it’s definitely Eichel’s fault that the Sabres haven’t made the playoffs in the two years since they purposely built the worst team of all time to get him. :rolleyes: It’s definitely not the fact that the Sabres have like three top-6 forwards or that the D that they feed 28 minutes a game blows or that they don’t have an NHL goalie.

It’s funny that you use Pittsburgh as an example, but fail to mention that guy named Malkin, who didn’t take a discount. That you mention Doughty and Kopitar, when both of those contracts were considered overpayments at the time they were signed. That you use Chicago as an example when the reason they haven’t won anything since the Toews/Kane contracts as if the real reason isn’t that Toews is barely worth $6M; besides, those contracts aren’t relevant to Eichel since they were signed when Toews/Kane were much, much older. It’s especially funny that you mention Seguin, as if the Bruins didn’t win a Cup his rookie season, before he finished his ELC.

Are you under the impression that Pittsburgh won in 2017 because of their depth? Because I was under the impression that they won because they have two of the three best players on the planet. Their D was atrocious, probably cost $15M total without Letang, and they still won because stars matter infinitely more than depth.

I repeat: penny-pinch with your Melker Karlssons and Mikkel Boedkers. Not with your Jack Eichels.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Well said and thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4