Tank season 2017-2018

bunker777

Sep 26, 2017
I actually like what DW did this season. No reason to sign Marleau to three years. See if the team bounces back from last years short offseason/injuries. If the young guns don't step up, make a move with the extra cap space. I think this core still has another two or so years left for a cup run.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I actually like what DW did this season. No reason to sign Marleau to three years. See if the team bounces back from last years short offseason/injuries. If the young guns don't step up, make a move with the extra cap space. I think this core still has another two or so years left for a cup run.

There was plenty of reasons to sign Marleau to three years. He just didn't feel it was worth it. If the young guys don't step up, they ought to sell off the guys with expiring contracts because they don't really have enough expendable assets to justify moving them for proven replacement players.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There was plenty of reasons to sign Marleau to three years. He just didn't feel it was worth it. If the young guys don't step up, they ought to sell off the guys with expiring contracts because they don't really have enough expendable assets to justify moving them for proven replacement players.

I did not want us to sign Marleau for 3 years for the same reason I did not want Jumbo to be re-signed for 3 years. They are old and declining players who would be making way too much for that 3rd (and quite possibly 2nd) year.

But the loss of Marleau will certainly will be felt this year. This team is struggling to score goals as it is. I do not have enough confidence to say that Meier, Labanc, Doonskoi, etc. will make up for the goals that Marleau scored.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
The discussions of tanking vs not were common among Warriors fans about 7-10 years ago. The tankers wanted to rebuild through the draft. Non-tankers wanted to enjoy Nelson’s fringe playoff teams with Monta Ellis at the helm. We called the non-tankers Montards, as those Pejorative Slurs didn’t want to trade Monta to help tank. Had the Warriors not tanked we’d never draft high and get Curry and Klay and get good in a hurry. So, embrace the tank Thorntontards. Fire DW, fire Burke, tank properly and go for Stanley Cup by 2025. There are no shortcuts or easy fixes.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The discussions of tanking vs not were common among Warriors fans about 7-10 years ago. The tankers wanted to rebuild through the draft. Non-tankers wanted to enjoy Nelson’s fringe playoff teams with Monta Ellis at the helm. We called the non-tankers Montards, as those Pejorative Slurs didn’t want to trade Monta to help tank. Had the Warriors not tanked we’d never draft high and get Curry and Klay and get good in a hurry. So, embrace the tank Thorntontards. Fire DW, fire Burke, tank properly and go for Stanley Cup by 2025. There are no shortcuts or easy fixes.
You had the opportunity to use Thorntards and you didn't therefore this post is invalid.

Also 1/82 done! Woohoo

Last edited:
Reactions: hohosaregood

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I don't know where the narrative that the Sharks couldn't survive a tank and rebuild comes from. The Sharks have been VERY bad in the past and are still here. That is, after all, how we got to draft Marleau at #2OA in the first place. I mean, we survived the Al Sims era, why would we not survive a rebuild now?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't know where the narrative that the Sharks couldn't survive a tank and rebuild comes from. The Sharks have been VERY bad in the past and are still here. That is, after all, how we got to draft Marleau at #2OA in the first place. I mean, we survived the Al Sims era, why would we not survive a rebuild now?

They have priced out most of the fans of that era. Will corporations be enough to sustain them through a tank? Who knows. I can tell you that many many people I've talked to this year are bailing on ST's next year regardless. Among many of the complaints I hear, one of the biggest is that it's not worth the drive for weekday games. The traffic is just insane here now.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I don't think it's gonna be that easy for the Sharks to get relocated because the Bay Area is one of the largest markets in the country. It's the only market besides New York with 2 basketball, 2 football, and 2 baseball teams apiece(at least for now). If they're fighting that hard to keep Arizona from being relocated, then I don't think they'll let the Sharks move that easily. Plus the Sharks have proven that hockey can succeed and sustain if the team is winning so if things get really dire, there's a better chance of the league rigging the draft to help the team get back on track than letting them move. If the Sharks do move, the league would be trying to get another team back in the Bay Area at some point. They don't want to be the only professional league without a team in the Bay Area.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Waiting to see how we do for the first 10 games to really get a better idea.

If the first 2 games are a trend, DW is going to have little option than to sell at the TDL. If we bounce back and are a bubble team, he will buy. We have 8M cap space and I just don't see us standing pat then. Though, I just don't see if the issues of this team can get fixed by a TDL player.

Reactions: Bizz

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Based on watching jumbo, this feels like a stealth tank. He probably knew hed get slaughtered in a new market with his knee. So he signs for a year, sharks miss playoffs. He gets a long off season to rehab and he will land somewhere else.

But maybe im being pessimistic

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
If we're going to miss the playoffs, and I suspect we will, JT will be traded at the TDL. At least I hope he does, he'll get us a good return as a rental. I'm pretty much on board on trading just about anyone with value at this point. This core is not going to be able to win in the young, fast NHL. We had a glorious chance in our cup run and it was fun. We played awesome hockey then and it was evident we were playing at a hire level than almost every other team. We can't repeat that again me thinks. Not with our aging core. It was fun boys, but its time to get a completely new Sharks squad.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think it's gonna be that easy for the Sharks to get relocated because the Bay Area is one of the largest markets in the country. It's the only market besides New York with 2 basketball, 2 football, and 2 baseball teams apiece(at least for now). If they're fighting that hard to keep Arizona from being relocated, then I don't think they'll let the Sharks move that easily. Plus the Sharks have proven that hockey can succeed and sustain if the team is winning so if things get really dire, there's a better chance of the league rigging the draft to help the team get back on track than letting them move. If the Sharks do move, the league would be trying to get another team back in the Bay Area at some point. They don't want to be the only professional league without a team in the Bay Area.
Are you considering Sacramento the Bay Area? Cause I can guarantee that Sac doesn’t count as Bay Area. Am I forgetting a Bay Area team besides the Warriors?

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
They have priced out most of the fans of that era. Will corporations be enough to sustain them through a tank? Who knows. I can tell you that many many people I've talked to this year are bailing on ST's next year regardless. Among many of the complaints I hear, one of the biggest is that it's not worth the drive for weekday games. The traffic is just insane here now.

Not to mention the horrid TV deal. I think that is the biggest obstacle to tank, as far as the business side of things goes.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is the first season in a very long time (2003?) where I (and many others) are actively rooting for the Sharks to lose...and even in 2003, that only started happening around November/December.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If we're going to miss the playoffs, and I suspect we will, JT will be traded at the TDL. At least I hope he does, he'll get us a good return as a rental. I'm pretty much on board on trading just about anyone with value at this point. This core is not going to be able to win in the young, fast NHL. We had a glorious chance in our cup run and it was fun. We played awesome hockey then and it was evident we were playing at a hire level than almost every other team. We can't repeat that again me thinks. Not with our aging core. It was fun boys, but its time to get a completely new Sharks squad.

Yah, I was thinking this from the start. That contract really only makes sense in a 'buying draft picks' kind of way. Sign JT to be a huge contract, JT gets to wait and see who makes the playoffs and get traded there for his best chance at a cup (and makes a ton of money in the process) and the Sharks essentially buy the return they will get for trading him.

I don't think the Sharks have any plans on making the playoffs this year no matter what they are saying. I think this probably is the start of a rebuild and the Sharks are going to be big sellers this year (Thornton, Martin, Ward, Hansen, Dillon all out)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yah, I was thinking this from the start. That contract really only makes sense in a 'buying draft picks' kind of way. Sign JT to be a huge contract, JT gets to wait and see who makes the playoffs and get traded there for his best chance at a cup (and makes a ton of money in the process) and the Sharks essentially buy the return they will get for trading him.

I don't think the Sharks have any plans on making the playoffs this year no matter what they are saying. I think this probably is the start of a rebuild and the Sharks are going to be big sellers this year (Thornton, Martin, Ward, Hansen, Dillon all out)

I have a hard time believing that when they extended guys like Jones and Vlasic. A rebuilding team doesn't extend them to that extent when that's the plan.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
This is the first season in a very long time (2003?) where I (and many others) are actively rooting for the Sharks to lose...and even in 2003, that only started happening around November/December.

Its similar to 14-15 for me during Tmacs last year. I want them to win, but at the same time, I don't really care if they lose because I really want an overhaul of the coaches and GM, especially the coaches.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I really just wanted to get the impression that the organization was preparing for the eventual departure of Joe Thornton and the subsequent transition to a younger core. I don't get that impression yet, and I don't think I ever will with the current executives.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Haha pretty sad but I hope they lose a bunch this year. My only hope is Jumbo gets traded to a cup contender and actually wins the cup. Really want that guy to get one before he hangs it up.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I did not want us to sign Marleau for 3 years for the same reason I did not want Jumbo to be re-signed for 3 years. They are old and declining players who would be making way too much for that 3rd (and quite possibly 2nd) year.

But the loss of Marleau will certainly will be felt this year. This team is struggling to score goals as it is. I do not have enough confidence to say that Meier, Labanc, Doonskoi, etc. will make up for the goals that Marleau scored.

I don't have that confidence in Meier, Labanc, and Doonskoi stepping up this year either. But, I do believe that DW should have signed Marleau not Thornton, if he was going to sign one of the two. Marleau still has NHL speed which is not the same case that can be made of Thornton.

Signing Thornton for $8m, even for one year, is a mistake. All it does is prevent either Couture or Hertl from the 1st line center. Thornton doesn't add anything to the team as a 1st line center anymore.

It would be different if Thornton plays on the 3rd line, which moves up those two. It's going to happen next year anyway.

DW doesn't have it, niether does Burke or Spott. The only decent signing of an NHL experience player DW has made recently has been Schlemko. Even then, that was at the request of DeBoer not Burke as stated by DW.

I really just wanted to get the impression that the organization was preparing for the eventual departure of Joe Thornton and the subsequent transition to a younger core. I don't get that impression yet, and I don't think I ever will with the current executives.

Absolutely on board with that thought.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If you think the Sharks would be any different or better than they are now after two games with Marleau, you're only fooling yourself.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Nope, you fake "fans" were doing this shit in 2014. It didn't get you McDavid. So step off the reverse bandwagon.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you think the Sharks would be any different or better than they are now after two games with Marleau, you're only fooling yourself.

They would undoubtedly be doing different and probably better. He is a better player than a number of our wingers currently and having better players yields a better performance from your team. It's not a very difficult concept. Whether it would make a difference between any of these two losses being wins is impossible to say but the team is better with Marleau than without. You're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
i think it's time to re-evaluate Jumbo as the first line center, and more importantly separating the Joes especially when Pavs doesn't have a Jumbo to feed him sick feeds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad