Tank season 2017-2018

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They're good but need to be better. At this time I think it would be easier and more desirable for them to become a great team than to become a bad enough team to have a good shot at Dahlin. Even if we completely tanked there isn't any guarantee of that anyway. DW needs to pull the trigger on a move sooner rather than later.

This team is too good to tank, I think. 10% of the season in and we have like the best possession metrics in the league. Yeah, we’ll struggle to score, particularly if Pavelski/Boedker/Hansen/Meier don’t get their heads out of their asses and Jones doesn’t pull it together, but this team is too good to tank. Adding Ryan and Heed for Martin and DeMelo seriously changed things IMO.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
This team is too good to tank, I think. 10% of the season in and we have like the best possession metrics in the league. Yeah, we’ll struggle to score, particularly if Pavelski/Boedker/Hansen/Meier don’t get their heads out of their asses and Jones doesn’t pull it together, but this team is too good to tank. Adding Ryan and Heed for Martin and DeMelo seriously changed things IMO.
I completely agree. That's why we need to separate wheat from chaff. Trade away some of our redundant under preforming bottom 6 players, either to get some assets to trade or as part of a bundle and get somebody who can positively influence scoring. Jux, I'm happy to see you come around on the team, mostly because you're one of the more astute posters on this board when it comes to analytics. It confirms what I've been seeing.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I completely agree. That's why we need to separate wheat from chaff. Trade away some of our redundant under preforming bottom 6 players, either to get some assets to trade or as part of a bundle and get somebody who can positively influence scoring. Jux, I'm happy to see you come around on the team, mostly because you're one of the more astute posters on this board when it comes to analytics. It confirms what I've been seeing.

Ironically, me admitting that the team is probably good is actually me being negative. ;)

From top to bottom this team is deep and fantastic defensively. We have six excellent defensemen, even if Burns doesn’t pull his head out of his ass, we have four strong possession-drivers (Thornton, Hertl, Meier, and against 4th line comp, Carpenter). We are at least an average team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, I didn't think this team was good at all either at the start of the year. But our performance through these last 7 games has been fantastic. I know we're only 4-3 over that span but we are dominating every game.

Nobody knew that Ryan and Heed would do what they have. It's like adding two 25 year old mobile top-4 defensemen with competent puck skills through free agency. If we had done that, I think this fan base would have been much more optimistic about our performance.

Dare I say, if Burns returns to his 16-17 levels of production, that this is the best defense the Sharks have ever assembled. It's very unlikely that Boedker and Hansen will return to anywhere near the form they were in with their other teams. It's very unlikely that Pavelski and Thornton return to anywhere near their 15-16 form. It's very unlikely that Meier scores 20 goals this season.

If 2 or 3 of those guys can step it up we are a legit cup contender. If Hansen can return to his elite 5v5 goal scoring per 60 he showed in Vancouver. If Boedker can score 50 points, which he's actually done, multiple times. If Pavelski can score 30-35 goals or Thornton can score 70+ points. If Meier can actually score 20-25 goals. I think this team is a contender. Obviously not all of those things are going to happen. And honestly, I don't think enough of them will happen for us to be a true contender. But we're closer to a contender than a tank team.

There aren't many real elite teams out there this year. We're 5th in CF%. In the lost season we were 14th. This won't be a tank season.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, I didn't think this team was good at all either at the start of the year. But our performance through these last 7 games has been fantastic. I know we're only 4-3 over that span but we are dominating every game.

Nobody knew that Ryan and Heed would do what they have
. It's like adding two 25 year old mobile top-4 defensemen with competent puck skills through free agency. If we had done that, I think this fan base would have been much more optimistic about our performance.

Dare I say, if Burns returns to his 16-17 levels of production, that this is the best defense the Sharks have ever assembled. It's very unlikely that Boedker and Hansen will return to anywhere near the form they were in with their other teams. It's very unlikely that Pavelski and Thornton return to anywhere near their 15-16 form. It's very unlikely that Meier scores 20 goals this season.

If 2 or 3 of those guys can step it up we are a legit cup contender. If Hansen can return to his elite 5v5 goal scoring per 60 he showed in Vancouver. If Boedker can score 50 points, which he's actually done, multiple times. If Pavelski can score 30-35 goals or Thornton can score 70+ points. If Meier can actually score 20-25 goals. I think this team is a contender. Obviously not all of those things are going to happen. And honestly, I don't think enough of them will happen for us to be a true contender. But we're closer to a contender than a tank team.

There aren't many real elite teams out there this year. We're 5th in CF%. In the lost season we were 14th. This won't be a tank season.

Hey, my name is Jux, not 'Nobody'. ;)

Man I swear to god though if either of them sit when Martin gets healthy I'm gonna throw my computer.

Reactions: Sandisfan

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
#17 pick and 1st round exit here we come!

Burke: The San Jose Sharks are proud to select from US Development Program Thirdliner Moron

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hey, my name is Jux, not 'Nobody'. ;)

Man I swear to god though if either of them sit when Martin gets healthy I'm gonna throw my computer.

They probably won't have very many options other than to send Ryan back down when Martin gets healthy. Unless they work out a trade for Dillon to be executed when that happens, they sort of have to send Ryan down.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
I think its pretty clear we are heading to 12-17th draft pick. I wish we traded off at least the marginal talent (Karlson, Martin) and gave younger guys a chance to pay more and hopefully tank. Jux, who do you like in the 12-17 range, assuming Wilson and Burke are fired and we have someone competent making the pick?

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Looks like my prediction is unfortunately coming true. We aren’t bad enough to tank well and clearly not good enough to complete with the best teams in the league. With that said, will Hasso fire Wilson or continue to be satisfied with this mediocre enterprise?

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I still don't know what to think of our team

I think we're clearly a middle of the pack team. Too good to tank and not good enough to compete for a cup. A bunch of people here seem to agree on this. I think our defense and goaltending are good enough to compete with the top teams but our forwards are severely lacking. Regardless of last nights 5 goals most games we are looking at 2-3 and that just isn't going to get us anywhere. Tierney is our 2nd leading scorer. Unless this team makes a couple moves for top 6 forwards we will either barely miss the playoffs or likely lose in the first or 2nd round depending on matchups.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Looks like my prediction is unfortunately coming true. We aren’t bad enough to tank well and clearly not good enough to complete with the best teams in the league. With that said, will Hasso fire Wilson or continue to be satisfied with this mediocre enterprise?

Kind of hard to tell yet due to all of the very good teams that had a bad start like the Ducks, Oilers, plus other teams that had a mediocre start. It's probably a 40-60 chance of having a lottery pick draft position at this point.

I much prefer the 40% and have a lottery pick, then a 60% that will likely end up with a 1st round exit. Certainly conference and cup finals looks like a long shot.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

It’s funny how you bumped this thread when the game was 4-1 and then disappeared...

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
It’s funny how you bumped this thread when the game was 4-1 and then disappeared...
I had a late night call with India, so couldn’t post. It was a nice comeback for sure but it doesn’t change the fact that my assessment was correct before this season. This is a marginal playoff team at best with no real shot at the Cup. We barely beat a team that is out of playoff picture at home. We will not win a 7 game series against top teams in the league. If you think that you are setting yourself up for a dissapointment

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I had a late night call with India, so couldn’t post. It was a nice comeback for sure but it doesn’t change the fact that my assessment was correct before this season. This is a marginal playoff team at best with no real shot at the Cup. We barely beat a team that is out of playoff picture at home. We will not win a 7 game series against top teams in the league. If you think that you are setting yourself up for a dissapointment

Again, you are right in your analysis. My bad!

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm enjoying this season. This is the type of team that keeps fighting. Reminds me of the Ricci era. That was a great comeback last night, I don't care who the other teams was. You don't win that game without a team playing for each other and the fans.

First comeback EVER when down by 3 in the first period. EVER!

Nothing is for sure with this team. Thornton is looking better, finally. Pav's is looking a little better. Donskoi is out. We have two outstanding new Dmen. Tierney is really starting to show something and it's to the Sharks credit they didn't ship him out like Nieto, who he was looking like, and gave him more time to develop. And Meier is getting better with every game.

Enjoy :)

EDIT: Well, close to EVER.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'm enjoying this season. This is the type of team that keeps fighting. Reminds me of the Ricci era. That was a great comeback last night, I don't care who the other teams was. You don't win that game without a team playing for each other and the fans.

First comeback EVER when down by 3 in the first period. EVER!*

Nothing is for sure with this team. Thornton is looking better, finally. Pav's is looking a little better. Donskoi is out. We have two outstanding new Dmen. Tierney is really starting to show something and it's to the Sharks credit they didn't ship him out like Nieto, who he was looking like, and gave him more time to develop. And Meier is getting better with every game.

*In the regular season.

Reactions: Led Zappa

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

First comeback EVER when down by 3 in the first period. EVER!

Meier has looked really good. Points have to come though :<

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->