Tank Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
All the suffering and embarassment of the season for 11th pick is just sad.

I cant say I agree, we have traded to many 1st round picks already including one first for blue line help in march, and there is still good players that can be had at 11. They just have to do better preparation and research then they did with lekerimaki. Not to say lekkerimaki cant become a good nhl player.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I the loved the oh we need to beat Flames to keep them out of the playoffs justification. The Flames did that themselves when lost to Chicago. They were not making the playoffs after that win or lose to the Canucks. Oh and the only thing we could have done different is play Demko less. How about not playing Hughes 30+ mins and Miller and Pettersson 21+ mins. What happened to these grueling practices now that your winning they get a bunch of days and oh no way the habits revert right back. What a shocker.

Reactions: canuckking1

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I dont understand why we still have this tank thread.

There is no tank. They are trying to win every single game, ever since the trade deadline.

We are the only organization in the league that operates like this. Maybe its the other 31 teams that are dumb and we know how its really done.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I dont understand why we still have this tank thread.

There is no tank. They are trying to win every single game, ever since the trade deadline.

We are the only organization in the league that operates like this. Maybe its the other 31 teams that are dumb and we know how its really done.
This shit is pointless. We have a pig piece of shit loser f***ing dumbshit goon owner who will never show any foresight because he was raised on stupid mafia movies and thinks he’s the Don of the NHL. That’s the full story.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
The schedule became one of the easiest in the League when Tocchet took over. The team was never finishing bottom 5 and most fans are delusional thinking otherwise.
If they actually hoarded draft picks then it is totally within the realms of possibility.
Hell if Aqualini actually did commit to a rebuild it wouldve been done by a couple of years back.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
beyond sad, infuriating is how I feel how they got here.

The rest of the teams that identified playoffs to be unlikely got the memo and tanked. When all is said and done, post all star break, against some of the softest competition, this team managed 103 GF 100 GA while pulling out all the stops to win games.

what did they prove? that by running QH to the ground and dressing Demko as much as possible they scored 3 more goals than their soft competition? WOW. Tocchet sure got them roaring for success next year.

At 11, they now have no chance at obtaining the one thing they need that cannot be done otherwise. a cost controlled RHD that can one day play with QH. We all saw this a mile away as every other team wittled down their roster. Look at that one special winner record post break here.View attachment 687041

View attachment 687048

while these guys knows whats up.

Stevie Y sold while his team has every indication to make this post season.
So we had the softest schedule since the all star break, and play the sh!t out of Hughes/Demko/Petey, and we are still only 13th in winning percentage!? And people are thinking playoff next year?

Forget the looming cap crunch, or the regression to Kuzmenko shooting percentage, or the further decline of OEL/Myers. Are we really looking to start Demko 65 games next year while running Hughes close to 30mins a game, and giving EP/JTM 21+ mins including top PK? How do people expect them to survive a whole season and play at top level under those condition!?

Even if by some miracle they don't get injured, they will likely be burnt out at some point next season. It's just not sustainable.

Reactions: dwarf and Szechwan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The schedule became one of the easiest in the League when Tocchet took over. The team was never finishing bottom 5 and most fans are delusional thinking otherwise.
Delusional? At the time we were still receiving AHL level goaltending, the team was not performing well under Boudreau and we were soon trading Horvat. The elements were there for a bottom 5 finish.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

delusional?... why bother watching a game? a season?

u have it all figured out.

ppl aren't even complaining about bottom 5.

its comedy they didn't stay in the 6-10 range . dELuSiOnaL .. not really

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So we had the softest schedule since the all star break, and play the sh!t out of Hughes/Demko/Petey, and we are still only 13th in winning percentage!? And people are thinking playoff next year?

Forget the looming cap crunch, or the regression to Kuzmenko shooting percentage, or the further decline of OEL/Myers. Are we really looking to start Demko 65 games next year while running Hughes close to 30mins a game, and giving EP/JTM 21+ mins including top PK? How do people expect them to survive a whole season and play at top level under those condition!?

Even if by some miracle they don't get injured, they will likely be burnt out at some point next season. It's just not sustainable.
I think they must do that. They need to show proof of concept for this retool.

Its basically year 3 for the management after next season. If the result is lost futures and 3 seasons with not playoffs to show for it, they will really be on the hot seat.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Playing Demko like 17 games down the meaningless stretch, while playing Delia only 4 times pretty much sealed their fate to finish in the mushy middle amongst the "Sea of Granlunds" forwards in the draft.

But all this pitiful Franchise had to do in the last 3 games was play Demko in the Kings game (likely a loss even with Demko in goal) and play Delia in the Ducks and Yotes games; at least 8th place would be secured.

They would have had at least had a clear shot at Reinbacher if they had wanted; a RHD who could play in their top4 for a decade or two.

Teams have to be bad to be good but somehow after over 50 years the "brain trust" reads their tea leaves another way.

Just terrible Franchise management, terrible.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The only way we were not going to give big minutes to Demko, Hughes and Pettersson is if we had traded them away. No NHL coach is going to sit or underplay players like that, regardless of the situation.

It's not really "underplaying" them. Hughes and Pettersson look dog tired after the TOI they have been given. RT has been running them into the ground in feeble attempt to prop up the overall record.

If your supposed stars and leaders have issues with increasing ice time for other guys for the sake of long-term planning towards next season, then you may have a serious leadership issue.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
All of these people in here talking about how "the coach is never going to tank, the coach wants to see how they play, the coach is always going to play his best players this much."

Isn't the major advantage of this management group being "finally aligned" with their coaching staff after having hired Tocchet, that they can all agree and discuss the best thing for the team moving forward?

We're simultaneously hearing that the organization is aligned top to bottom, always working together for the bigger picture, but also that Tocchet is a coach and cannot be told by the higher-ups how to use his guys.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only way we were not going to give big minutes to Demko, Hughes and Pettersson is if we had traded them away. No NHL coach is going to sit or underplay players like that, regardless of the situation.
Demko doesn't need to play this final game vs AZ. He played the final home game and a b2b which is a legit reason. But, tonight, no reason to start him. Not like they don't know what he can do and when he returned from injury, he regained his form. So, in the event they wanted to trade him or received an insane offer or he asks out, he regained his value.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Looks like an eleventh place finish. Not bad, considering the ownership did everything it could to win over the last three months. I would bet money that we trade the pick.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Were gonna pick 11th, no doubt in my mind.
Trade the pick and get rid of oel if thats the case.
Why? You’re getting a blue chip prospect at 11. We literally need high end prospects

The 10th pick is cursed btw, in the past decade only like rantanen has amounted to much.
Pavel Mintyukov one of the best prospects in the nhl, went tenth last year

Looks like an eleventh place finish. Not bad, considering the ownership did everything it could to win over the last three months. I would bet money that we trade the pick.
Everyone keeps saying we trade the pick, I can’t see it.

We have no cap, so what player are you bringing in? Say this team magically is a contender you need players on their Elc on the roster

Reactions: racerjoe

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Why? You’re getting a blue chip prospect at 11. We literally need high end prospects

We have no cap, so what player are you bringing in? Say this team magically is a contender you need players on their Elc on the roster
I disagree, I don’t think you’re getting a blue Chip Prospect at 11.

Unless one of the guys I really like falls.

Which I don’t see happening, you’re pretty much getting a second or third line center, or a 3-4 puck moving Dman.

Good attributes, good assets, but not a blue chipper.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I want the pick traded in service of getting OEL gone, failing him retiring or being LTIRed.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.

They will give the pick away to get rid of cap space. Then sign some other over priced old loser to stay in cap hell.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Demko should’ve sat another 2-3 games. Hughes playing 30 minutes was stupid, ditto with EP at 24-25 minutes.

The hyperbolic counter argument to these statements is stupid. “You can’t tell the players to lose, you want EP and Hughes play 2nd line/2nd pairing minutes?? They need to hit their milestones!”

No, not suggesting any of that ffs.

Meanwhile the Caps have had Ovie out for 2-3 weeks now listed as day to day while he’s trying to chase a goal scoring record that actually matters.

Imagine if he was a Canuck and they had him playing 23 minutes a night, the argument would undoubtedly be that they can’t sit him because he needs to chase the record.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Demko should’ve sat another 2-3 games. Hughes playing 30 minutes was stupid, ditto with EP at 24-25 minutes.

The hyperbolic counter argument to these statements is stupid. “You can’t tell the players to lose, you want EP and Hughes play 2nd line/2nd pairing minutes?? They need to hit their milestones!”

No, not suggesting any of that ffs.

Meanwhile the Caps have had Ovie out for 2-3 weeks now listed as day to day while he’s trying to chase a goal scoring record that actually matters.

Imagine if he was a Canuck and they had him playing 23 minutes a night, the argument would undoubtedly be that they can’t sit him because he needs to chase the record.

I don't see any posters saying this the way you are intending it, and definitely none that say it as a main point.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't see any posters saying this the way you are intending it, and definitely none that say it as a main point.
Whats the reason that Demko has started the 4th most games in the league since returning?

3 other teams were contending for playoffs and Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad