Proposal: Tanev for Galchenyuk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
sorry but you're wrong
Please feel free to attempt to explain why.

If you don't think I provided enough explanation, I'd be happy to go over it point-by-point. Some hints: winger trade value versus blueliner trade value, age, production, market demand, relative player ability compared to their peers.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
So a team that can't score trades their biggest drafted scoring forward of the past decade for a defenceman. It doesn't even make sense from a Montreal perspective even is it's a complete bending over of Vancouver.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
So a team that can't score trades their biggest drafted scoring forward of the past decade for a defenceman. It doesn't even make sense from a Montreal perspective even is it's a complete bending over of Vancouver.
Again, I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept, Galchenyuk is not working out in Montreal and Montreal isn't getting a top six center for that, Montreal should play to their strengths, Tanev would add to that strength. I overlooked Montreal being set on the right side.

As for bending over? Tanev is a top pairing defenseman, Galchenyuk is questionably at top six winger with a good ceiling, his floor is pretty low.

Mar 26, 2010
JVR does not have more value than Tanev in this universe or any alternate version of it
Only in your small universe.

JVR is a 2nd overall pick, 1st line LW, proven 30 goal scorer, 1st line LW for team USA. Good team mate, big strong guy.

JVR will get $7M AVV on the open market with 20 teams bidding for him. (He will be re-signed in T.O)

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Again, I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept, Galchenyuk is not working out in Montreal and Montreal isn't getting a top six center for that, Montreal should play to their strengths, Tanev would add to that strength. I overlooked Montreal being set on the right side.

As for bending over? Tanev is a top pairing defenseman, Galchenyuk is questionably at top six winger with a good ceiling, his floor is pretty low.
He's as "questionable" as Marner is. Both "4th liners". Besides, we're already set on our right side (Weber, Petry). It wouldn't make sense slotting Petry or Tanev on the bottom pair.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Only in your small universe.

JVR is a 2nd overall pick, 1st line LW, proven 30 goal scorer, 1st line LW for team USA. Good team mate, big strong guy.

JVR will get $7M AVV on the open market with 20 teams bidding for him. (He will be re-signed in T.O)

Seems like a lot of people live in this small universe with me. It's the same one where Taylor Hall returns Adam Larsson. Sure it'd be great if they could resign JVR but I see no scenario where that happens

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
JVR is a 2nd overall pick

That was over ten years ago. It could not possibly be any less relevant.

1st line LW, proven 30 goal scorer

Both are occasionally true, but not commonplace. His consistent career output has been in the 25+ goal range, playing second-line minutes.

1st line LW for team USA

...once, on the 2014 Olympic team that spectacularly failed at winning anything other than acclaim for TJ Oshie's shootout ability.

But really, that's all beside the point. JvR is indeed a valuable player. However, the question isn't just "is he valuable", it's "is he more valuable than Chris Tanev in the trade market?" Which he is not, largely because he is a scoring winger whereas Tanev is a top-pairing RHD.

He might get that amount because goal scoring gets massively overpaid in free agency, but 20 teams? Don't be absurd.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
He's as "questionable" as Marner is. Both "4th liners". Besides, we're already set on our right side (Weber, Petry). It wouldn't make sense slotting Petry or Tanev on the bottom pair.
Marner has more points than anyone on Montreal with his demotion, Marner has much stiffer competition for minutes and Marner is much younger, Marner's rookie year was better than any in Galchenyuk's career... so if you completely ignore context, no wait that would asinine...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad