Proposal: Tanev + Baerstchi for Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He puts up better possession numbers? You don't say! Must be so hard doing that with the Leafs' forward core...

And better offensive numbers? Wow! So you're saying Auston Matthews is better than Bo Horvat? And Nylander is better than Markus Granlund? Crazy talk!

Being on a better team doesn't help Hainsey's case for being a better d-man than Tanev... (I legit can't even believe we're talking about this it's so silly.)

Ask anyone who isn't a clear Toronto homer and they will say that Tanev is a better d-man than Hainsey. Not just better, MUCH better.

:laugh:

i'm including his time in carolina, of course.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Amazing how a guy who has been generally regarded as a solid bottom pairing Dman goes to Toronto and is suddenly a top 4 dman. Maybe he was top 4 quality in his younger years, but he's certainly not better than Tanev right now.
It's so ridiculous, it's hardly even worth engaging. I'm going to stop wasting my time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Amazing how a guy who has been generally regarded as a solid bottom pairing Dman goes to Toronto and is suddenly a top 4 dman. Maybe he was top 4 quality in his younger years, but he's certainly not better than Tanev right now.

weird thing about that "general opinion" is that he's never been a bottom pairing guy in his career, always top-3/4, and was #2 on the cup champs a few months ago.

Why would people generally consider him to be something he's never been?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Huh. I'll admit I didn't think he played that many minutes. But even so, he's still not a better player than Tanev.

So for a slim upgrade on our D + a player that would barely even make our team because of wing depth, you want one of our big 3?

Let’s just agree to lock this bad boy up please.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Too early to make any conclusions. Boeser has an opportunity to leap frog Kapanen because he's given more opportunity. But let's not start the re-hashed debate using small, skewed sample sizes of NHL productivity- given Kapanen played on the 4th line, with limited minutes and zero PP time.

I will say, Boeser may have a higher ceiling because he has a better shot/release but Kapanen has a higher floor because of his superior speed and 2-way play. Will be interesting to see how both of them track moving forward. Neither are blue-chip prospects.

It's disappointing that Green hasn't started Boeser more because then we would have something more to quantify his play on....and the Canucks are one of the West-coast teams I follow (as they play a favourable schedule for me- i.e. no conflicting leaf games).
It’s not a leap frog if Boeser was always better :sarcasm:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Seriously, take off the homer goggles.

Seriously, you might want to look into watching a different sport if you think Marner is a MAYBE. Hes a Star. and you can toss your MAYBE garbage in the trash. Yeah hes not having a great start to the year but Jesus its 4-5 games into the season. Give it a rest. Not many players ARE having a great start to the season.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Vancouver’s best player in Horvat is a Kadri equivalent. They don’t have the pieces to get Marner.

Now you can respond with listing half the roster and say woundn’t that get him but let’s keep the reasonable . Nothing Vancouver could afford to move comes close

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Seriously, you might want to look into watching a different sport if you think Marner is a MAYBE. Hes a Star. and you can toss your MAYBE garbage in the trash. Yeah hes not having a great start to the year but Jesus its 4-5 games into the season. Give it a rest. Not many players ARE having a great start to the season.

He's a potential star. 61 points isn't the numbers of a star. It's the numbers of a very good hockey player yes, but I wouldn't call Marner a star yet.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Adding a 35pt 3rd liner winger not only does nothing for Toronto, it doesn't come close to bridging the gap between the value of marner and tanev.

65pts in his first 82 NHL games. 95% of the top players in the league didn't do that at 19

consider that horvats breakout season was his 3rd year in the league where he got 52 pts. let that sink in.

Leafs counter with a choice of Kapanen/Dermott/Nielsen/Bracco/Grundstrom + Carrick + 1st rd pick and leave it at that

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As much as I love Tanev, this is not close.

Marner has put up tremendous points, is still very young and should become a great forward for years to come. Vancouver doesn't have a young top-4 Dman who is projected to become a top-2 D man currently playing in the NHL. That is what it would take to acquire a player such as this.

Lock'er up

wow. surprisingly you nailed it.

Werenski, Provorov, Ristolainen, Ekblad, perhaps Heiskanen....these are names that would need to be involved for Toronto to even consider Marner/Nylander in a deal

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
A humble.....polite.....yet emphatic no to the OP. And this comes from a guy who would love to have Tanev on the Leafs.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
He's a potential star. 61 points isn't the numbers of a star. It's the numbers of a very good hockey player yes, but I wouldn't call Marner a star yet.
61 points in a ROOKIE season isnt the numbers of a star? Thats a pretty good start for a young Star. But hey you do you and just keep on missing that boat.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not even for two Tanevs.

To be fair, if you got two Tanevs, the chances of them both missing the same time due to injury is reduced, so youd likely have at least one of them in the lineup each game of the season.

Sarcasm aside, Tanev isn't a good base for Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad