Confirmed with Link: Talbot Traded to Senators for Filip Gustavsson

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
on your job, if your boss hires your replacement should you be happy? no Fn way
OR, if they hired someone and said, "whoever does a better job, gets the job" the other will be on call. Seems like a more appropriate analogy.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
on your job, if your boss hires your replacement should you be happy? no Fn way
If you see it as you being replaced...that should be a signal you're not doing your job well enough and if you want to keep it...do better.
Competition is not a bad thing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
After how everything went down the last several months, I don't see how it's not more like "hey we're hiring this guy, he's gonna have a lot more leash than you to make mistakes, he's also gonna be the de facto starter when push comes to shove regardless of work performance, because I like him more from working together at a previous company, if you don't like it I don't care"

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
After how everything went down the last several months, I don't see how it's not more like "hey we're hiring this guy, he's gonna have a lot more leash than you to make mistakes, he's also gonna be the de facto starter when push comes to shove regardless of work performance, because I like him more from working together at a previous company, if you don't like it I don't care"
Like I said...life's not fair. Fleury had a pedigree...Talbot doesn't.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Lol at all of you trying to analogize signing a platoon goalie with an every day job.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm pretty ambivalent to the whole personal side of this saga. Do I believe Talbot was done a little dirty? Kind of .... but kind of not. He was atrocious for an extended period prior to MAF being brought in. BUT MAF wasn't any better. The problem with this whole situation is that the players agent is, basically, an extension of the players mouth. The conflict escalated by Talbots agent = drama escalated by Talbot. I don't blame Talbot for being angry and insulted, but I also don't blame BG for shipping him out.

All things aside... it's going to be rough the next couple years. Doesn't matter if it's MAF, Talbot, Gus, or Wallstedt in net so I guess I don't really care. I wish Talbot all the best though, no ill will from me.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm pretty ambivalent to the whole personal side of this saga. Do I believe Talbot was done a little dirty? Kind of .... but kind of not. He was atrocious for an extended period prior to MAF being brought in. BUT MAF wasn't any better. The problem with this whole situation is that the players agent is, basically, an extension of the players mouth. The conflict escalated by Talbots agent = drama escalated by Talbot. I don't blame Talbot for being angry and insulted, but I also don't blame BG for shipping him out.

All things aside... it's going to be rough the next couple years. Doesn't matter if it's MAF, Talbot, Gus, or Wallstedt in net so I guess I don't really care. I wish Talbot all the best though, no ill will from me.
Yeah, I don't really get the consternation either. Everyone acted in their own interests and more or less got what they wanted :dunno: Is it just because Guerin said "shit"?

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
My buddy told me he read that Talbot's agent approached Guerin during the draft, on the draft floor which initially started this whole thing. This led to the agent to tweet that Guerin had a lot of thinking to do.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Yeah, I don't really get the consternation either. Everyone acted in their own interests and more or less got what they wanted :dunno: Is it just because Guerin said "shit"?
It's because he said shit, its because he choose his buddy over Talbot, and because's its BG.

...forgetting Talbot had a cold run which is why we went after Fleury in the first place...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's because he said shit, its because he choose his buddy over Talbot, and because's its BG.

...forgetting Talbot had a cold run which is why we went after Fleury in the first place...
Which all just sounds like typical background drama to me. The difference is that the dopey agent decided to pull a Walsh and slap it on Twitter, so Guerin had to respond in kind.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like a lot more light than heat with this one.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

Right. Me personally, I'm resigned to the fact that it's going to be rough until that dead cap is gone (really hoping BG had a long term plan to come out swinging once it's done).... if I have to watch a mediocre wild playing bubble playoff hockey... I'd rather watch a mediocre Wild team with MAF in net, dude has the "pedigree" and charisma to spare. Talbot wouldn't have made a difference

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Which all just sounds like typical background drama to me. The difference is that the dopey agent decided to pull a Walsh and slap it on Twitter, so Guerin had to respond in kind.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Just seems like a lot more light than heat with this one.
I have exp on the agent side, not in hockey, but related. And yeah, this type of drama is extremely mild. It's basically what you send in emails as a normal part of the conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: Bazeek

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I have exp on the agent side, not in hockey, but related. And yeah, this type of drama is extremely mild. It's basically what you send in emails as a normal part of the conversation.
BUT he decided to put it out in the public, which was essentially calling GMBG out. IMHO, that's a no-no unless you're trying to force a hand.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
At the same time, I really would have not minded a year of a MAF /Talbot tandem. OH well

BUT he decided to put it out in the public, which was essentially calling GMBG out. IMHO, that's a no-no unless you're trying to force a hand.
Exactly... unless he was angling for a trade, that was f***ing insane.

Edit: thanks mods for being less lazy than me. 'preciate you

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Exactly... unless he was angling for a trade, that was f***ing insane.

I think that's pretty clearly what he was trying to do. His client is in a contract year and it very well could be the last contract he ever gets. Playing backup to Fleury isn't doing Talbot any favors.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I think that's pretty clearly what he was trying to do. His client is in a contract year and it very well could be the last contract he ever gets. Playing backup to Fleury isn't doing Talbot any favors.
I agree. But then, like bazeek said, everyone ultimately got what they wanted.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Yeah, and prior to the Flower trade... he was utterly TERRIBLE for a long stretch, as was KK behind him. A goaltending move NEEDED to be made to improve the team. The team did improve, and Talbot got a wakeup call. Maybe if he didn't play like utter crap leading up to the trade deadline, the Fleury trade never happens.

Sorry, there is no defense for Talbot here... he wasn't anything special.

Meh... how about none of the above? None of them are a long term starter answer IMO. KK was terrible leading up to his being traded. I had given up on his long term prospects as a starter.
Talbot had a dip after the ASG. But he also went 6-0-0 or something, the last games BEFOFORE the MAF trade. So he did not need the competition.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Talbot had a dip after the ASG. But he also went 6-0-0 or something, the last games BEFOFORE the MAF trade. So he did not need the competition.
His play was terrible, the wins were not because of him, they were in spite of him. After Fluery was picked up, his play did a complete 180

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad