Confirmed with Link: Talbot Traded to Senators for Filip Gustavsson

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
A fair competition is a good thing. A rigged competition is a bad thing.

Talbot should know better than anyone about how fair the competition is in MN. He was the favorite over Kach. Then MAF became the favorite over him when he was acquired.
Again...life isn't fair. Fleury wasn't being brought here to be a backup. If you thought he was...that's on you.
But still..when he was re-signed...Guerin wanted a 50/50 split...and somehow that's now not fair? Really?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Again...life isn't fair. Fleury wasn't being brought here to be a backup. If you thought he was...that's on you.
But still..when he was re-signed...Guerin wanted a 50/50 split...and somehow that's now not fair? Really?

I don't take what Billy G (or anyone really) says to the press at face value, neither did Talbot apparently.

You're correct life ain't fair. Talbot moved on because of it. Talbot didn't sign here a couple of years ago to be a backup anymore than MAF signed here to be a backup.

I've wanted Talbot gone since the first COVID season, so it's no skin off my teeth that he isn't here anymore. I just don't like the trade return.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Talbot's agent should have kept his mouth shut. If he had a problem, take care of it internally. Again, everybody knew that BG wanted both back. There was more than enough time to raise concerns or push for a trade. His agent opening his trap to the media at the last minute and making a public mess out of it was beyond stupid and unnecessary.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just don't like how the trade went down.

That doesn't bother me; but I wanted Talbot gone, so there is that. Talbot, Jost, and Kulikov (in that order) have been my 3 players to move to open cap since the offseason started.

It's as much to do with the timing of MAF re-signing as anything. MN was forced to keep Talbot until MAF re-signed. I don't blame Talbot or MAF for how things went down. They are looking after themselves; which they should be doing as old players. I don't blame GMBG for anything other than a return I don't like.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Talbot's agent should have kept his mouth shut. If he had a problem, take care of it internally. Again, everybody knew that BG wanted both back. There was more than enough time to raise concerns or push for a trade. His agent opening his trap to the media at the last minute and making a public mess out of it was beyond stupid and unnecessary.

How so? It got the job done and Talbot out of MN. The agent's job is to do what is best for his client. The return MN got for Talbot is meaningless to him. He also gave Talbot cover to say all the nice things in public without any blame sticking to him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Guerin wanted his cake and eat it to. It doesn't matter if BG wanted both back, Talbot signed to be a starter. I also got to wonder a lot about how this all went down and the timelines, because there could be a million different scenarios and a lot of stuff in the background.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Guerin wanted his cake and eat it to. It doesn't matter if BG wanted both back, Talbot signed to be a starter. I also got to wonder a lot about how this all went down and the timelines, because there could be a million different scenarios and a lot of stuff in the background.
No. Talbot signed to be a goalie. Nothing was promised to him

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No. Talbot signed to be a goalie. Nothing was promised to him
Ummm

"Cam Talbot's our No. 1 goalie," Wild general manager Bill Guerin said. "That's his role, and that's why he came here. We believe that he's very well-suited for the position and for that role, and he's going to have a lot of success. He was our guy. I think the way we play, the defensemen that we have, the system that we play and having the No. 1 seat open, it's a very attractive place for a goalie, and we were happy to be able to land Cam Talbot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How so? It got the job done and Talbot out of MN. The agent's job is to do what is best for his client. The return MN got for Talbot is meaningless to him. He also gave Talbot cover to say all the nice things in public without any blame sticking to him.
But now Talbot is saying that he didn't want to leave? If true, either his agent screwed up or there was a miscommunication. It happens... Nino just fired his agent for not getting him re-signed in CAR.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
But now Talbot is saying that he didn't want to leave? If true, either his agent screwed up or there was a miscommunication. It happens... Nino just fired his agent for not getting him re-signed in CAR.
No, that isn't what he was saying:

“We didn’t really want to be moved,” Talbot said on the Zoom call. “It played out in the media that maybe I had some ill will toward the organization . . . but it wasn’t like that at all. We loved our time there. We love the fans, the group of guys, the staff. We made some lifelong friendships there.

“It’s just one of those things where, you know, there’s only room in the net for one guy.”

“That’s between myself and Billy and everyone else,” Talbot said. “We had some conversations and both sides kind of felt this might be best.”

Talbot is saying he didn't want to leave, but understood why he was traded. After Guerin signed Fleury, Talbot saw the writing on the wall.

Yeah, that was 2 years go. Things change.

So if Kahkonen or Wallstadt came up and blew everybody out of the water, we would still have to go with Talbot because we said we wanted him as a #1? Ok....

You went from nothing was promised to him to things changed when proven wrong.

Talbot had one year left on his contract, platooned well with Kahkonen. To be honest, we can speculate all we want, but it seems that Talbot wouldn't have minded Kahkonen taking over the spot since he was already here and Guerin didn't go out and grab him. Wallstedt was a draft pick and Talbot knows that teams will draft younger goalies to replace the older ones - but both Kahkonen and Wallstedt are much younger.

Basically Guerin told Talbot he wasn't good enough (and he was coming off an injury when his numbers went down) and went out to get his BFF, who had terrible numbers in Chicago last season to take over the 1A spot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Saying the right things to the press is part of being a pro hockey player. That statement might be completely true, half-true, or false.

"I didn't want to leave the Wild." Sounds a lot different if a qualifier is added to the statement. "I didn't want to leave the Wild, as long as I was the starter." Or, "I didn't want to leave the Wild, but my wife is pissed (again)."

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
If Talbot expected to be the one deciding if he's the starter he had every ability to make that decision with his play. Instead he took 80% of the season off until after he was replaced. Then he gets his agent to complain when the team he didn't perform for until his job was on the line decided they didn't want to go into the next season with him as the only option again.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sens fan here, I think after the buy outs of Parise/Suter, and if the Wild can't make a deep run, he'll never have an NHL GM job again. He's basically relying on ELC talent + Kaprizov to carry. Poor lads will break their back.

Having said that, I think the Gus-Talbot trade is heavily in Minnesota's favour. You guys just cleared $3 million in capspace and have a chance to develop a good goalie prospect who played behind one of the worst defensive systems and bluelines in the league. By mid season, I think Gus will be able to play as a 1B and eventually you'll be able to run a tandem of Gus and Wallstedt.

I get why Guerin did this (kinda), it gives him capspace and that's always a good thing for any gm (and based off what I've seen and reading some of the comments here, I completely get if he doesn't use the capspace wisely). I don't get why Ottawa made this trade. If Talbot wasn't happy in a shared role in Minnesota, he's going to have to compete for the #1 gig with Forsberg. On top of that, Talbot playing behind Ottawa's current blue line (which hasn't gotten any better btw), its a recipe for disaster.

Minnesota has one of the deepest bluelines in the league, I wish Gus all the best. Hopefully Minny puts him in a better chance to succeed than Ottawa did.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
Sens fan here, I think after the buy outs of Parise/Suter, and if the Wild can't make a deep run, he'll never have an NHL GM job again. He's basically relying on ELC talent + Kaprizov to carry. Poor lads will break their back.

Having said that, I think the Gus-Talbot trade is heavily in Minnesota's favour. You guys just cleared $3 million in capspace and have a chance to develop a good goalie prospect who played behind one of the worst defensive systems and bluelines in the league. By mid season, I think Gus will be able to play as a 1B and eventually you'll be able to run a tandem of Gus and Wallstedt.

I get why Guerin did this (kinda), it gives him capspace and that's always a good thing for any gm (and based off what I've seen and reading some of the comments here, I completely get if he doesn't use the capspace wisely). I don't get why Ottawa made this trade. If Talbot wasn't happy in a shared role in Minnesota, he's going to have to compete for the #1 gig with Forsberg. On top of that, Talbot playing behind Ottawa's current blue line (which hasn't gotten any better btw), its a recipe for disaster.

Minnesota has one of the deepest bluelines in the league, I wish Gus all the best. Hopefully Minny puts him in a better chance to succeed than Ottawa did.
Respectfully, I would suggest you do some research into why Minnesota bought out Parise sbd suter. It had to be done, MIN didn't have a choice. As for Guerin being gm, he's not getting fired. Our ownership rarely fires gm , so that not happening. Guerin has done a goid job.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Respectfully, I would suggest you do some research into why Minnesota bought out Parise sbd suter. It had to be done, MIN didn't have a choice. As for Guerin being gm, he's not getting fired. Our ownership rarely fires gm , so that not happening. Guerin has done a goid job.
Giving up prospects and draft picks to move those contracts would've at least given them cap flexibility. Minnesota has good hockey history/culture and doesn't exactly have trouble getting free agents. 12+ million in capspace is unprecedented and forces the Wild to rely on ELC talent. In the bigger picture, Guerin has put himself in one of the toughest positions in hockey.

Suter was and still is playing like a top 4 defender. I can understand Parise, production wise, but what on earth could Suter have possibly have done in the locker room to warrant a buy out? A quick google, I can't find any off/on ice issues with Suter involving the law, teammates, etc...

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Giving up prospects and draft picks to move those contracts would've at least given them cap flexibility. Minnesota has good hockey history/culture and doesn't exactly have trouble getting free agents. 12+ million in capspace is unprecedented and forces the Wild to rely on ELC talent. In the bigger picture, Guerin has put himself in one of the toughest positions in hockey.

Suter was and still is playing like a top 4 defender. I can understand Parise, production wise, but what on earth could Suter have possibly have done in the locker room to warrant a buy out? A quick google, I can't find any off/on ice issues with Suter involving the law, teammates, etc...
Cap Recapture, they either played for us or got bought-out, trades were never viable options.

Understand that exactly zero Wild fans have issues with the buyouts, the team was better off moving on. Suter was not playing like a defender that could win in the playoffs, and has only gotten older and slower since then. I think the locker room stuff is overblown, he just wasn't going to be good enough to get it done with us in the top 4 and he was not the kind of guy that will take 3rd pair minutes. Stats say one thing, watching him get burned by speed over and over those final seasons says another. I loved what he brought to this team, the guy was a top tier defenseman for a decade, but his time passed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cap Recapture, they either played for us or got bought-out, trades were never viable options.

Understand that exactly zero Wild fans have issues with the buyouts, the team was better off moving on. Suter was not playing like a defender that could win in the playoffs, and has only gotten older and slower since then. I think the locker room stuff is overblown, he just wasn't going to be good enough to get it done with us in the top 4 and he was not the kind of guy that will take 3rd pair minutes. Stats say one thing, watching him get burned by speed over and over those final seasons says another. I loved what he brought to this team, the guy was a top tier defenseman for a decade, but his time passed.
I never liked the Suter buyout, and like it even less after Guerin re-signed Goligoski, who is a worse player.

Reactions: TaLoN and Wabit

Sebastien

May 1, 2022

Cap recapture. Wild couldn't trade that contract. Why would Guerin move prospects and picks when it's better for Minnesota thus way? Respectfully, other teams fans need to know why wild couldn't trade this player's

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I never liked the Suter buyout, and like it even less after Guerin re-signed Goligoski, who is a worse player.
I liked the Suter buyout more than I would have liked the Suter cap recapture, because at least you can plan around the former. There's value in certainty.

It also means they didn't have to lose prospects and picks to move them, which has helped boost our prospect pool to being one of the best in the NHL, so there's that.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked the Suter buyout more than I would have liked the Suter cap recapture, because at least you can plan around the former. There's value in certainty.

It also means they didn't have to lose prospects and picks to move them, which has helped boost our prospect pool to being one of the best in the NHL, so there's that.
Why not just play out the string with Suter? He is still a top 60 Dman, IMO, and significantly better than Goligoski. Would rather pay Suter to be on our ice, than pay him to NOT be on our ice, and have to pay Goli, which has resulted in a greater financial penalty for the team, nvm play on the ice.

I get that he would've been overpaid, but not grossly so. Just because he isn't what he used to be, doesn't mean he's useless.

Parise buyout, I get. The guy was toast.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00