Confirmed with Link: Talbot Traded to Senators for Filip Gustavsson

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Why not just play out the string with Suter? He is still a top 60 Dman, IMO, and significantly better than Goligoski. Would rather pay Suter to be on our ice, than pay him to NOT be on our ice, and have to pay Goli, which has resulted in a greater financial penalty for the team, nvm play on the ice.

I get that he would've been overpaid, but not grossly so. Just because he isn't what he used to be, doesn't mean he's useless.

Parise buyout, I get. The guy was toast.

Its pretty obvious that Guerin felt that Suter needed to go for reasons other than just his play on the ice. If it was just about what Suter can contribute on the ice, then I think he is probably still on the roster.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think some of you under estimate guerin wants to prove "im in charge" and if you don't like it theres the door. not always the best way to retain top talent.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I think the Suter contract can be considered in this light:

If Suter stays....7.4M cap hit.
Buying out Suter...6.4, followed by 7.4M cap hit for two years, PLUS Goligoski's contract.

If the play of the two players is equal, then last year was a dead even trade of cap space.
This coming year? 8.4 instead of 7.4, Next year? 9.4 instead of 7.4

That's a valuable 1 or 2M, and least the way I look at it.

That means Guerin was deciding on the basis of something else.

That could be a lot of things. His own ego. Or, he's not good with numbers. Or, something else.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
i think some of you under estimate guerin wants to prove "im in charge" and if you don't like it theres the door. not always the best way to retain top talent.
same has been allegedly said about suter but instead of demanding it he was able to talk his way into being in charge of things without actually being in charge. allegedly.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Cap Recapture, they either played for us or got bought-out, trades were never viable options.

Understand that exactly zero Wild fans have issues with the buyouts, the team was better off moving on. Suter was not playing like a defender that could win in the playoffs, and has only gotten older and slower since then. I think the locker room stuff is overblown, he just wasn't going to be good enough to get it done with us in the top 4 and he was not the kind of guy that will take 3rd pair minutes. Stats say one thing, watching him get burned by speed over and over those final seasons says another. I loved what he brought to this team, the guy was a top tier defenseman for a decade, but his time passed.

Ya, that's not accurate at all. Parise's buyout maybe.

A lot of Wild fans have problems with the Suter buyout, justifiably.

Reactions: 57special

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Why not just play out the string with Suter? He is still a top 60 Dman, IMO, and significantly better than Goligoski. Would rather pay Suter to be on our ice, than pay him to NOT be on our ice, and have to pay Goli, which has resulted in a greater financial penalty for the team, nvm play on the ice.

I get that he would've been overpaid, but not grossly so. Just because he isn't what he used to be, doesn't mean he's useless.

Parise buyout, I get. The guy was toast.

That's pretty much what I don't get. Y'all are almost paying more to have him play somewhere else with Goligoski being signed instead of just letting him play another year of his deal. Parise I can understand, based off play alone.

But I can't find a tangible metric that indicates Suter wasn't at least a 2nd pairing defender in terms of ability.

Cap Recapture, they either played for us or got bought-out, trades were never viable options.

Understand that exactly zero Wild fans have issues with the buyouts, the team was better off moving on. Suter was not playing like a defender that could win in the playoffs, and has only gotten older and slower since then. I think the locker room stuff is overblown, he just wasn't going to be good enough to get it done with us in the top 4 and he was not the kind of guy that will take 3rd pair minutes. Stats say one thing, watching him get burned by speed over and over those final seasons says another. I loved what he brought to this team, the guy was a top tier defenseman for a decade, but his time passed.
I don't know if that's entirely accurate. I was bored and was looking at past discussions in this forum alone, definitely not the case.

I get the notion of cap recapture giving management uncertainty in the future, but its like purposely digging yourself into a hole, instead of hopefully digging yourself into a hole. Suter can still provide several years of NHL level hockey.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
That's pretty much what I don't get. Y'all are almost paying more to have him play somewhere else with Goligoski being signed instead of just letting him play another year of his deal. Parise I can understand, based off play alone.

But I can't find a tangible metric that indicates Suter wasn't at least a 2nd pairing defender in terms of ability.

I don't know if that's entirely accurate. I was bored and was looking at past discussions in this forum alone, definitely not the case.

I get the notion of cap recapture giving management uncertainty in the future, but its like purposely digging yourself into a hole, instead of hopefully digging yourself into a hole. Suter can still provide several years of NHL level hockey.

What's there not to get? Suter's play had very little to do with the buy-out. Guerin wanted him off the team for off the ice stuff.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What's there not to get? Suter's play had very little to do with the buy-out. Guerin wanted him off the team for off the ice stuff.
In an era that GM's have to deal with players involved in sexual assaults, gambling, and impolitic(racist, insensitive, fringe ideas) statements from their athletes, among other things, I haven't seen any solid evidence from anywhere that Suter was a bad guy. I'm sure he had an ego...show me a top athlete that doesn't. All i've heard is gossipy stuff. I've said this before, but i do know a guy who had an interaction with him( fender bender), and he was totally cool.

This is a guy who kept showing up to play every bloody game, and played well over 25 minutes per night for years on end. He also loved living here. Oh, how horrible, however will they coach that!

The new coach and gm sounded to me like they didn't have the people skills to deal with him. Reducing his TOI, trading his buddy Parise, keeping him off the PP, and not giving him a letter would've been enough to let him know that there was a changing of the guard, and would've humbled him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
In an era that GM's have to deal with players involved in sexual assaults, gambling, and impolitic(racist, insensitive, fringe ideas) statements from their athletes, among other things, I haven't seen any solid evidence from anywhere that Suter was a bad guy. I'm sure he had an ego...show me a top athlete that doesn't. All i've heard is gossipy stuff. I've said this before, but i do know a guy who had an interaction with him( fender bender), and he was totally cool.

This is a guy who kept showing up to play every bloody game, and played well over 25 minutes per night for years on end. He also loved living here. Oh, how horrible, however will they coach that!

The new coach and gm sounded to me like they didn't have the people skills to deal with him. Reducing his TOI, trading his buddy Parise, keeping him off the PP, and not giving him a letter would've been enough to let him know that there was a changing of the guard, and would've humbled him.

I don't have any evidence and I doubt that either side would gain any benefit by airing their dirty laundry now, but Russo basically said as much back when it happened.

As much as fans want to paint Guerin as some kind of dummy, anybody with at least one working eye and a brain knows that if this were just about hockey and his play on the ice, Suter would still be on this team.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Objection. Speculation.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Objection. Speculation.
Sustained, Mr. Specter.

Keep in mind that we haven't even begun to feel the real pain of this buyout. Last year was just a preview. This year is going to be bad, and the next two years even worse. Bt the time we are right again, Spurgeon, Dumba, and Brodin will be well out of their primes, and Kaprizov out of contract. Add that to Zuccarello and Fiala being gone...that's a lot of talent either missing, aging, or ruinously expensive.

Reactions: bicboi64

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

We couldnt have just kept him for one or two years, the buyouts only had benefits for last year. The options were buy them out and get two years or minor relief, or have them play out their full contracts. Buying them out on their last couple of years would have been just as bad as the recapture. Who wanted Parise and Suter blocking guys like Boldy from playing for 3 more years after this? Goligoski is not his replacement long term or even short term, the goal was to improve the offense and we had to sacrifice defense to do it.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We couldnt have just kept him for one or two years, the buyouts only had benefits for last year. The options were buy them out and get two years or minor relief, or have them play out their full contracts. Buying them out on their last couple of years would have been just as bad as the recapture. Who wanted Parise and Suter blocking guys like Boldy from playing for 3 more years after this? Goligoski is not his replacement long term or even short term, the goal was to improve the offense and we had to sacrifice defense to do it.
He has been Suter's replacement, and a more expensive one at that. Boldy has nothing to do with Suter. Suter was never going to get another deal after his ended...not sure what you are getting at.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Sustained, Mr. Specter.

Keep in mind that we haven't even begun to feel the real pain of this buyout. Last year was just a preview. This year is going to be bad, and the next two years even worse. Bt the time we are right again, Spurgeon, Dumba, and Brodin will be well out of their primes, and Kaprizov out of contract. Add that to Zuccarello and Fiala being gone...that's a lot of talent either missing, aging, or ruinously expensive.
Zuccarello said, if he still feels like he's 20, he'd like to sign another year or two when his current contract expires. A team friendly deal, I'm sure Guerin would like this. He needs a veteran like Zucc to mentor the kids coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00