Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kostitsyn was picked in era where a lot of Eastern Euros flopped out of top 10 of draft. Svitov, Chistov, Zherdev, Brendl, Stefan, Taticek, Kostitsyn, Alexeev, Yakubov, Vorobiev. That's a lot of flops for top 10 picks in a few years span. Teams may have got over zealous after success first wave of Russians had and overrated them.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I don't read the mag and never have so I don't know if they are getting their rankings from someone inside the Habs or not. But I was reading this thread on past THN future watch lists,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=651684&highlight=thn+future+watch

As someone that has been ranking Hab prospects for HF and other sites over the last 12+ years, I can attest to how difficult it is to have a good ranking and how much of a waste these rankings end up being as in the end they are more or less just for fun.

Holy... 2010 and especially 2011... we had some pretty rough top prospects in the cupboard back then.

I wonder why they switched Andrighetto ahead of Hudon this year, while Hudon is having great success in the AHL?

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Tinny ahead of McCarron I never would of guessed that. Either management still high on Tinordi or we too high on McCarron.

Its not just our management... its the league wide opinion too.

Tinordi is ranked 58th by the league wide panel... McCarron doesn't crack the top 75.

Thats saying that outside sources also feel the same way as our own management and that is that Tinordi is a better prospect than McCarron right now.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Last year they said it came from Lapointe, don't know how they ranked them this year

Most every poster has McCarron either 1 or 2. Read first page of this thread

I don't have him at 1 or 2.

He's less than a PPG player.... 22 points in 26 games since he's no longer been on Oshawa with one of Domi/Marner on his wings.

A 19 year old, in his last junior season, should be putting up over a PPG if he's gonna be a top 6 forward, and yes he did in London, but he isn't in Oshawa. At this point he's looking more and more like the beginning of the year was an anomaly due to wingers Domi mostly, but when Domi went to the WJC Marner moved up. (I think its teling cause he didn't produce at that rate when he was in the USNTDP, he didn't produce at that rate his first OHL season, and he's not producing at that rate in Oshawa).

Does that mean he's a bust? No.

But it does give me serious question as to whether he will be a checking line forward in the NHL or whether he can be a top 6 guy.

I can't put him ahead of a guy like Scherbak who has top 6 talent written all over him.

I can't put him ahead of De la Rose who is further ahead as a defensive forward and playing great in the NHL at the same age.

I can't put him ahead of Tinordi either.

Right now, I'd have Hudon ahead... you can't ignore that he's scoring as a rookie in the AHL and has a two way game.

So that puts McCarron 5th... and to really move up, i need to see him produce in Hamilton next year.

I differ from the organization as I have Hudon in the top 5 and Fucale outside the top 5 though.... (Lehkonen 6, Fucale 7, Pateryn 8, Andrighetto 9, Carr 10, Condon 11, Reway 12, Gregoire 13, Bozon 14, Lernout 15 for me)

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
My list based on value/potential and order of graduation (bold: my favorites):

1. Tinordi
2. Hudon
3. Scherbak
4. McCarron (playoffs 2016? playoffs 2017?)
5. Condon (Bergevin: ''almost NHL ready'')
6. Fucale (2-3yrs away...no rush)
7. Lernout (love his potential for us: tough/big+tall/big shot)
8. Andrighetto
9. Reway
10. Nygren (just has to stay healthy)
11. Crisp (just has to stay healthy)
12. Thrower (just has to stay healthy)

HM:
Lehkonen

Graduated:
Beaulieu
de la Rose
Pateryn????

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Tinordi is ranked 58th by the league wide panel... McCarron doesn't crack the top 75.

Thats saying that outside sources also feel the same way as our own management and that is that Tinordi is a better prospect than McCarron right now.

I don't have the issue yet so didn't know rankings. McCarron not in top 75 is definitely puzzling. For McCarron is generally considered a god of a prospect on this board.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I wouldn't put much stock in THN's "rankings". They put the top 75 list together themselves..and odds are good they didn't get anyone who has a true clue to put together Montreal's list...last year it was essentially left up to me. I didn't help them out again this year with the Future Watch and ranking because they went back on their word and made a bunch of adjustment to my rankings..including putting Kapanen 11th overall even though I had him in the 20's and was not a fan.

Who cares what people not in the know think? McCarron is one of the top 50 prospects outside of the NHL right now without question...likely top 30.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't have the issue yet so didn't know rankings. McCarron not in top 75 is definitely puzzling. For McCarron is generally considered a god of a prospect on this board.

He has a really high ceiling. Imagine a guy that size in your top 6, what kind of nightmares it will give to opposing defenses. The risk is that he doesn't reach that ceiling. I think if he had stayed in London and kept piling up points he would be ranked higher. When he moved to Oshawa, he went from 22-23 minutes a game to around 18, also his PP time was cut back and he was used in more defensive situations/matchups.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Not sure why you try to lecture me when Crosby wasn't even playing with Rimouski the year Pouliot was drafted? Go check hockeydb, they were both centers in his "inflated stats" season.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know I was talking to "the prophet"...

I watched him play with Crosby, you did not, end of discussion. Hockeydb doesn't tell you anything about him changing to the wing that year because the site never does that. Go check Pouliot's Wiki page and they clearly back up what I am saying.

I suppose Galchenyuk also played center in his last season in Sarnia because hockeydb says so.........if you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, Sarault was center and Galchenyuk played right wing with Boucher on the left.

You are welcome for the lecture btw......you were wrong and you needed it.

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
kills me to see we drafted akost and then jeff carter goes the very next pick :( then he goes on to burn us in the 08 playoffs. just painful.

After Kostitsyn :

- Hugh Jessiman
- Robert Nilsson
- Steve Bernier
- Mark Stuart
- Marc-Antoine Pouliot
- Anthony Stewart
- Brian Boyle
- Jeff Tambellini
- Patrick Eaves
- Shawn Belle

I'd still pick Kostitsyn on my team over any of them. Even today.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
And you pound them back before posting on here apparently.

I'd take Tinordi over Thrower...Patch over Latendresse, Scherbak over Collberg, McCarron over Crisp, Price over Fucale, Beaulieu over Bennett, McDonagh over Weber, Galchenyuk over Lehkonen, Chipchura over Fortier, Kostitsyn over Urquhart Other than that you're spot on.

The club has selected one first round bust during Timmins' dozen years on the job, and that was Fischer. Take a look at other clubs' first-round picks since 2003....nobody is perfect in the scouting profession - that's the only certainty to scouting..that there will be the odd 17-year-old you don't pre-judge correctly. Timmins strikes out fewer than most...since 2005 there have been few better at selecting in the first round with where they are positioned.

Gotta laugh ar the criticism Timmins gets on this board. He is expected to be perfect apparently. I hated the Fischer pick at the time but I also hated the Price pick and would not have drafted Subban, McDonagh or, Pacioretty. Timmins is arguably the best in his profession but scouting and drafting are far from exact sciences, even the best are certain to make mistakes.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Round 1 NHL Totals
Round Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM Last Season
1 1 Pittsburgh Marc-Andre Fleury G Cape Breton Screaming Eagles [QMJHL] 582 0 13 13 48 2014-15
1 2 Carolina Eric Staal C Peterborough Petes [OHL] 827 307 419 726 638 2014-15
1 3 Florida Nathan Horton R Oshawa Generals [OHL] 626 202 218 420 567 2013-14
1 4 Columbus Nikolai Zherdev R CSKA Moscow [Russia] 421 115 146 261 225 2010-11
1 5 Buffalo Thomas Vanek R U. of Minnesota [WCHA] 727 290 305 595 433 2014-15
1 6 San Jose Milan Michalek L Ceske Budejovice HC [Czech] 689 198 224 422 370 2014-15
1 7 Nashville Ryan Suter D U.S. Junior National Team [Intl] 733 52 292 344 488 2014-15
1 8 Atlanta Braydon Coburn D Portland Winter Hawks [WHL] 617 37 130 167 513 2014-15
1 9 Calgary Dion Phaneuf D Red Deer Rebels [WHL] 734 117 279 396 1038 2014-15
1 10 Montreal Andrei Kostitsyn R CSKA Moscow [Russia] 398 103 119 222 181 2011-12
1 11 Philadelphia Jeff Carter C Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL] 701 277 233 510 390 2014-15
1 12 NY Rangers Hugh Jessiman R Dartmouth College [ECAC] 2 0 0 0 5 2010-11
1 13 Los Angeles Dustin Brown R Guelph Storm [OHL] 785 206 234 440 540 2014-15
1 14 Chicago Brent Seabrook D Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL] 746 71 245 316 516 2014-15
1 15 NY Islanders Robert Nilsson C Leksands IF [SEL] 252 37 81 118 90 2009-10
1 16 San Jose Steve Bernier R Moncton Wildcats [QMJHL] 591 98 113 211 269 2014-15
1 17 New Jersey Zach Parise L U. of North Dakota [WCHA] 675 267 287 554 258 2014-15
1 18 Washington Eric Fehr R Brandon Wheat Kings [WHL] 442 88 85 173 148 2014-15
1 19 Anaheim Ryan Getzlaf C Calgary Hitmen [WHL] 697 203 466 669 616 2014-15
1 20 Minnesota Brent Burns R Brampton Battalion [OHL] 699 113 224 337 474 2014-15
1 21 Boston Mark Stuart D Colorado College [WCHA] 552 22 62 84 617 2014-15
1 22 Edmonton Marc-Antoine Pouliot C Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL] 192 21 36 57 76 2011-12
1 23 Vancouver Ryan Kesler C Ohio State University [CCHA] 722 199 235 434 658 2014-15
1 24 Philadelphia Mike Richards C Kitchener Rangers [OHL] 704 179 302 481 577 2014-15
1 25 Florida Anthony Stewart R Kingston Frontenacs [OHL] 262 27 44 71 123 2011-12
1 26 Los Angeles Brian Boyle C St. Sebastian's [Mass. H.S.] 458 66 55 121 361 2014-15
1 27 Los Angeles Jeff Tambellini R U. of Michigan [CCHA] 242 27 36 63 88 2010-11
1 28 Anaheim Corey Perry R London Knights [OHL] 707 291 302 593 856 2014-15
1 29 Ottawa Patrick Eaves R Boston College [H-East] 476 81 79 160 155 2014-15
1 30 St. Louis Shawn Belle D Tri-City Americans [WHL]

I'm no AK fan but hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, AK was considered a top 5, real deal, complete player. Big, fast, skilled etc etc etc. The reason he dropped was purely health related with him having a type of epilepsy. Habs sent Dr. Mulder to assess him and were fine when he said that with meds, he wouldn't have any issues after he was misdiagnosed in Russia.

With a clean bill of health, Habs were happy to get him where they did and it was considered a bit of a steal at the time.

So at the time, this was a big win, period. Let's not turn this into Chouniard vs. Giroux although I will say, Philly has made us look bad on at least a couple of drafts when they pick right after us! :rant:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
After Kostitsyn :

- Hugh Jessiman
- Robert Nilsson
- Steve Bernier
- Mark Stuart
- Marc-Antoine Pouliot
- Anthony Stewart
- Brian Boyle
- Jeff Tambellini
- Patrick Eaves
- Shawn Belle

I'd still pick Kostitsyn on my team over any of them. Even today.

I wanted Parise but was not upset with the Kostitsyn pick as it really was a swing for the fences.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wouldn't put much stock in THN's "rankings". They put the top 75 list together themselves..and odds are good they didn't get anyone who has a true clue to put together Montreal's list...last year it was essentially left up to me. I didn't help them out again this year with the Future Watch and ranking because they went back on their word and made a bunch of adjustment to my rankings..including putting Kapanen 11th overall even though I had him in the 20's and was not a fan.

Who cares what people not in the know think? McCarron is one of the top 50 prospects outside of the NHL right now without question...likely top 30.

Very true, THN is about is insightful as the tp I wipe myself with. Hadn't bought it for years until last year when I found out that you were contributing. I could care less about what a bunch of average joe's who know as much as the guys at work around the lunch table know have to say.

Hope you don't get discouraged with this site as you are one of a handful of people on this site that know what they are talking about. Perhaps you should start your own site as you would certainly jump out of the blocks with the respect that you have earned. It would be nice to read something from a credible source instead of THN or Redline garbage.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
David Fischer :shakehead What a waste...

For the Habs it didn't turn out too bad, he was 20th overall in a weak draft and we got a 2nd round compensation pick in 2011, so it worked out ok.

I really liked the pick at the time, big mobile RH d-man with puck skills, he was projected to be what Petry is but things went sideways in university.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Come on...what about '71? Lafleur, Robinson, Wilson? Lafleur and Robinson were among greatest to ever play the game.

perhaps you missed the part where I was asking the poster a question? Usually when you see a question mark at the end of a sentence it means you are asking someone something. I was trying to understand what the poster was saying since he said '08 and that clearly wasn't a good draft class. In no way shape or form did I say it was the best draft year for the Habs.

Who in management and who is the league wide panel? I don't read the mag so I don't know who you are talking about. Having watching a lot of Tinordi I am very concerned over his lack of progress for a 3rd year pro, he's really struggled with his consistency in Hamilton and in the NHL he just hasn't looked very good at all.

I have McCarron over Tinordi but hopefully McCarron doesn't struggle as much as Tinordi has as a pro since they have followed a very similar career path so far.

I don't have him at 1 or 2.

He's less than a PPG player.... 22 points in 26 games since he's no longer been on Oshawa with one of Domi/Marner on his wings.

A 19 year old, in his last junior season, should be putting up over a PPG if he's gonna be a top 6 forward, and yes he did in London, but he isn't in Oshawa. At this point he's looking more and more like the beginning of the year was an anomaly due to wingers Domi mostly, but when Domi went to the WJC Marner moved up. (I think its teling cause he didn't produce at that rate when he was in the USNTDP, he didn't produce at that rate his first OHL season, and he's not producing at that rate in Oshawa).

Does that mean he's a bust? No.

But it does give me serious question as to whether he will be a checking line forward in the NHL or whether he can be a top 6 guy.

I can't put him ahead of a guy like Scherbak who has top 6 talent written all over him.

I can't put him ahead of De la Rose who is further ahead as a defensive forward and playing great in the NHL at the same age.

I can't put him ahead of Tinordi either.

Right now, I'd have Hudon ahead... you can't ignore that he's scoring as a rookie in the AHL and has a two way game.

So that puts McCarron 5th... and to really move up, i need to see him produce in Hamilton next year.

I differ from the organization as I have Hudon in the top 5 and Fucale outside the top 5 though.... (Lehkonen 6, Fucale 7, Pateryn 8, Andrighetto 9, Carr 10, Condon 11, Reway 12, Gregoire 13, Bozon 14, Lernout 15 for me)

I think people put too much into stats, i'm not worried about the numbers McCarron puts up as I hope he brings something to the Habs that they sorely need that won't always show up on the scoresheet but will fill a big void. I don't care if he's a top 6 forward or a bottom six, as long as he helps the Habs win and improve the team while being a solid NHLer.

To me Scherbak is hands down the #1 and it's not close. He's got natural skills to go with solid physical abilities.

DLR I like a lot but his lack of offense in the AHL and NHL even at a young age is concerning. I would have him around 3 or 4th in my rankings if I did one this year. His defensive game is so impressive and he was drafted with the NHL size/skating/speed that you want to see but if he doesn't score more in the future then it's going to be Eller all over again. That said I don't have any problem with someone ranking him higher since you know what you are getting and if can add a decent amount of offense then he's going to be an elite 3rd liner in the future.

With Tinordi I have never been a big fan as I felt he was overrated by many, I see him as a solid bottom pairing D that excels on the PK and shot blocking but never saw the mean streak that many seem to think he has. He's got to learn how to handle the puck better and his read/react needs to be much better. So for me I would have him further down the list.

Hudon I am so impressed with, still concerned about his lack of size/strength and while he's been injury free this year it's still something to keep in mind but I would have him in my top 5 for sure, and could see why someone would rank him higher then me. I would put him around 3rd or 4th either in front of DLR or right behind him.

Lehkonen I would drop down in my rankings since I've seen a lot of him and he really disappointed for much of the season. The skill is there for sure, the effort is there for sure but his lack of size/strength is a major concern to me and has been. Guess we'll see what a couple years in the SHL does for him.

Fucale is a tough one as I don't know where I would rank him inside the top 10, disappointed in his numbers since the trade for sure but the kid knows how to win at least.

Pateryn I don't know if he would make my top 10, wasn't impressed with what I saw in Hamilton but thought he did better then I expected he would in his NHL call up. I'd have to think hard about it as maybe he would make it at 10, his skating/foot speed has always concerned me. But he does most things well, nothing great, that could translate into a solid bottom pairing type as he has the size, will take the body, has a heavy shot and he works hard/smart.

Ghetto I've been very impressed with is AHL play, liked some of his NHL play, still not sold on what his future is in the NHL as he'll need to get stronger and show he can play better in his own end but really like his slap shot and he plays with a lot of energy. A top 10 prospect for us.

Carr I haven't seen on his hot streak but wasn't impressed with him early in the season, never noticed him in the NCAA. Not in my top 10 but looking forward to seeing what he does next year.

What an outstanding season from Condon, and what a find by management, still can't get over they found this guy. A top 10 prospect for sure since he's the top goalie in the AHL as a rookie and that's damn impressive.

I got to admit, I really have fun watching Reway, no clue what his NHL future holds but he can be a real treat to watch. For me I am a sucker for the entertaining guys like him as he just makes things happen out there so I would have him in my top 10 for sure even though I hate his defensive game and effort at times. Would likely rank him over Ghetto and Lehkonen but after Hudon in terms of the mini me's.

Gregoire impressed me a lot with his high energy and effort. He gets his nose dirty and gets involved in the play just wish he had Bournival's wheels and he'd be a top 10 prospect for me. But I still would have him just outside my top 10 as you do.

Bozon is another tough one as he needs to badly add strength but has a nice shot, would likely drop him down a little for now to see how he handles the AHL next year.

Lernout I haven't gotten to see so I don't know what to make of him yet. I've spoken to some WHL followers that I trust their opinion and they think he needs to work on his skating. Interested to see where he plays next year, and if it's in the AHL I am looking forward to seeing how he does. Not sure where I would rank him.

One guy I'm really high on is Nygren, although I would have to drop him down in my rankings since he missed so much time and it's very concerning that he's still having trouble with the concussion. That really sucks cause had he not been injured he likely would have been my top rated d prospect for the Habs and likely a top 5 prospect overall. I think we could really use his big shot on the PP but now I assume his development is pushed back a year and that's assuming he's ok by the off-season.

Oct 22, 2012
Reway ahead of Hudon and Andrighetto is very interesting.

I remembering reading just before World Juniors starting, that some people thought Reway could be playing at the pro level, that he was that good. I'll admit that I've seen very little of his game outside of the WJC, but from stat reading, he appears to be keeping up and then some in a mens league.

I also remember reading that he went home to earn more money for his family, which I thought was kinda cool.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Gotta laugh ar the criticism Timmins gets on this board. He is expected to be perfect apparently. I hated the Fischer pick at the time but I also hated the Price pick and would not have drafted Subban, McDonagh or, Pacioretty. Timmins is arguably the best in his profession but scouting and drafting are far from exact sciences, even the best are certain to make mistakes.

Agree on Timmins being one of the best in his profession, thanks Andre Savard for bringing him in as it has been one of the best things to happen to the organization in a long time.

I didn't get to see Fischer in the USHS but heard good things about him, so I didn't mind the pick since Timmins had been doing a good job and we sorely needed D prospects at the time. I even was impressed with him in his Freshman year at Minnesota and thought he had a good shot at being an NHLer until he regressed in his Senior year (he had a good Junior year and then got injured)

I remember the '05 draft here like it was yesterday. I was one of the few that didn't freak out as I thought the pick made sense even though I thought we would go for Staal. I didn't know Subban at the time but I got on board quickly after watching in the next year, got a lot of heat by some around here for ranking him over McDonagh while he was still in junior as I thought the talk about his defensive shortcomings were overblown and being repeated en mass. Was so impressed with him in Hamilton.

I saw McDonagh play in the USHS for CDH and liked what I saw but was surprised to hear that the Habs wanted him so badly when they tried to move up in the draft to get him as I thought he would still be on board when they picked. He had a good tournament in the USHS against Fischer's team while he was a Junior and Fischer was in his Senior year at Apple Valley. Though my all time favorite USHS player was Anders Lee, was screaming at my computer screen for the Habs to draft him, wanted him so bad after watching him at STA in the USHS before he transferred to Edina. Pac I got to see in the USHL all star game and wasn't too impressed other then his speed for a big guy so what a pick that ended up being.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Fucale is the biggest wildcard. He's #3 on the Habs' list but he could easily be as far down as #6 behind McCarron and Tinordi IMO. His value is all over the place, some people think he's a future stud and some people think he's garbage. Time will tell.

I also thought JDLR at #1 was a little strange, but I guess it depends on your criteria. Guys like Scherbak, McCarron and even Tinordi certainly have higher ceilings, but obviously DLR is a safer bet to become an NHLer, albeit in most likely a less spectacular role.

My own personal list (using THN's criteria) would be something like:
1. Scherbak
2. McCarron
3. De la Rose
4. Tinordi
5. Fucale
6. Hudon
7. Andrighetto
8. Reway
9. Nygren
10. Lehkonen

Ad