Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
David Fischer puts up 14 points and gets drafted by us first round, how does this happen?

I see facts are not a strong suit in this thread...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11984

Fischer was drafted from Apple Valley HS coming off a 39 point in 28 game season.

Before somebody complains about drafting a Minnesota HS player, go do some research on the ones that made the NHL...like Crosby MacKinnon Parise Bjugstad and a pile of others.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/135792-alumni

Gotta laugh ar the criticism Timmins gets on this board. He is expected to be perfect apparently. I hated the Fischer pick at the time but I also hated the Price pick and would not have drafted Subban, McDonagh or, Pacioretty. Timmins is arguably the best in his profession but scouting and drafting are far from exact sciences, even the best are certain to make mistakes.

Drafting is an inexact science, using 100% hindsight in evaluating picks is dumb. You have to compare against other teams over 4-5 years and weigh in where those teams drafted and the number of picks.

If you just look at a team's draft with no perspective, every NHL head scout missed on multiple stars and superstars.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Tinordi's been on that list now for 5 years... 5 years is too long.

Hope this is not a repeat of tery ryan and matt higgins in the late 90's that were topping the list and then fell off completely

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tinordi's been on that list now for 5 years... 5 years is too long.

Hope this is not a repeat of tery ryan and matt higgins in the late 90's that were topping the list and then fell off completely

He's going to fall off next year, he'll be in the NHL full time.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I see facts are not a strong suit in this thread...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11984

Fischer was drafted from Apple Valley HS coming off a 39 point in 28 game season.

Before somebody complains about drafting a Minnesota HS player, go do some research on the ones that made the NHL...like Crosby MacKinnon Parise Bjugstad and a pile of others.

Not really accurate ro site Crosby, MacKinnon and Parise as none of them were drafted out of high school like Fischer was. Shattuck St. Mary's is a great school but is just a step in development for many Canadian players.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Andrei Kostitsyn was a really talented hockey player who could have scored 30+ yearly. He just didn't have the dedication to do what was required to do that.

Just be glad they didn't go for that 6'6", 220 lb gros bonhomme at #10.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Call me crazy, but I see a higher offensive ceiling in JDLR than MM.

I think there is something in terms of untapped skill there. He's 19, playing against men, I'm not as concerned about the numbers in that situation. 19 playing against kids his own age or younger, I expect a lot of offence if you want to think of him as a potential top 6 guy.

I think both are likely third liners long term. I just like DLR's instincts and think he as more of a chance to crack top 6 (But for both its a long shot).

As Scherbak, that guy is a stud, extremely impressed with him. I think he's in Hamilton to start next year to work on his two way play, but he's got a very high offensive ceiling.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't put much stock in THN's "rankings". They put the top 75 list together themselves..and odds are good they didn't get anyone who has a true clue to put together Montreal's list...last year it was essentially left up to me. I didn't help them out again this year with the Future Watch and ranking because they went back on their word and made a bunch of adjustment to my rankings..including putting Kapanen 11th overall even though I had him in the 20's and was not a fan.

Who cares what people not in the know think? McCarron is one of the top 50 prospects outside of the NHL right now without question...likely top 30.

Did you do Montreal's rankings this year? Or know who did?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I think there is something in terms of untapped skill there. He's 19, playing against men, I'm not as concerned about the numbers in that situation. 19 playing against kids his own age or younger, I expect a lot of offence if you want to think of him as a potential top 6 guy.

I think both are likely third liners long term. I just like DLR's instincts and think he as more of a chance to crack top 6 (But for both its a long shot).

As Scherbak, that guy is a stud, extremely impressed with him. I think he's in Hamilton to start next year to work on his two way play, but he's got a very high offensive ceiling.

McCarron is more advanced right now, in large part because of his shot, which is already NHL calibre.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I would go with McCarron has having the higher offensive ceiling, as he's got some decent hands on him, can shoot the puck but also I've seen him make some nice passes as well. DLR is more mature whereas I see McCarron still as a lot more raw, so we'll see where they both end up in time. DLR is so smart and hopefully he can produce points as well cause that's just going to make him one hell of a player but I would be very surprised if he ends up producing more then Eller. Hard to guess what kind of production we will end up seeing from McCarron down the road as it's hard to guess just where he will fit into the lineup, anywhere from 1st to 4th line as I think he could play any line but will clearly need to show a lot if he has any hopes of being a top liner.

I also would be shocked if DLR ended up a top 6 forward full time for us.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Shot you can give to McCarron, but I like DLR's skating, passing, and hockey sense better....

That said I see both likely being third liners. I don't see high end skills there with either, but if I had to choose one it'd be DLR (agreed its unlikely though).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Shot you can give to McCarron, but I like DLR's skating, passing, and hockey sense better....

That said I see both likely being third liners. I don't see high end skills there with either, but if I had to choose one it'd be DLR (agreed its unlikely though).

I like DLR's skating and hockey sense better but not passing, McCarron is an underrated passer imo. I think McCarron has a better shot at a top 6 spot because he brings the mix of size, grit, skill and a willingness to go the net hard. DLR while physical is more passive with his frame then McCarron and then add to the fact how badly we lack someone with size and skill that is willing to park themselves in front of the net consistently.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I like DLR's skating and hockey sense better but not passing, McCarron is an underrated passer imo. I think McCarron has a better shot at a top 6 spot because he brings the mix of size, grit, skill and a willingness to go the net hard. DLR while physical is more passive with his frame then McCarron and then add to the fact how badly we lack someone with size and skill that is willing to park themselves in front of the net consistently.

DLR only 19 and playing this well, his scoring should improve over next few years. McCarron has hands for 3rd liner, but his great size may put him on offensive line, as he will create more space for smaller players. Habs have a few smaller scorers

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
DLR only 19 and playing this well, his scoring should improve over next few years. I see him replacing Plekanec as early as next season as 2C. McCarron has hands for 3rd liner, but his great size may put him on offensive line, as he will create more space for smaller players. Habs have a few smaller scorers

I would say no way on earth can DLR replace Pleks as the 2nd line center next year, and would be surprised if he ever could. I think McCarron has better hands then you give him credit for (not sure what hands for a 3rd liner really means though but doesn't sound good)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would say no way on earth can DLR replace Pleks as the 2nd line center next year, and would be surprised if he ever could. I think McCarron has better hands then you give him credit for (not sure what hands for a 3rd liner really means though but doesn't sound good)

I've noticed this season he's in defensive positioning a lot more than other centers. Little doubt it has cut out some of his offensive chances. I've seen decent hands and last year's WJC he was pretty good. With hands, size, skating, off the charts hockey smarts, I feel there's room for growth in DLR's offensive production.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
DLR only 19 and playing this well, his scoring should improve over next few years. I see him replacing Plekanec as early as next season as 2C. McCarron has hands for 3rd liner, but his great size may put him on offensive line, as he will create more space for smaller players. Habs have a few smaller scorers

:laugh:

De la rose has 3 points in 18 games and you want hi to be our #2 center next year?

really?

...like really?:laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think DLR can be 2nd line center at some point in his career. I've noticed this season he's in defensive positioning a lot more than other centers. Little doubt it has cut out some of his offensive chances. I've seen decent hands and last year's WJC he was pretty good. With hands, size, skating, off the charts hockey smarts, I feel there's room for growth in DLR's offensive production.

perhaps, but no way it will be next year. I guess we'll have to see how his offensive game develops, so far I haven't been impressed with his offense in the AHL or NHL. Before the wjc's he had 5 pts, if he had 1 less pt at the wjc's it would have been a 50% drop from his 18 year old wjc stats, and so far in the NHL he's had 2 pts this season when a goalie is in net. I know he's only 19, personally I still wonder if keeping him up will end up being the best move for him or not. I thought they rushed Eller, I thought they rushed Bournival and Leblanc, but we won't know how his offensive game will emerge until we see it over time.

There's a lot to like about his game but at the draft there were doubts about his offensive game and imo those doubts are very valid and while I hope he can disprove those doubts as soon as next year, in no way would I even consider using him as the 2nd line center.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hope so. Little worried that I am not seeing significant progress at AHL or NHL level

it's concerning as we haven't had good luck with our 1st picks in the draft since '07, outside of Galchenyuk and it's still very early for McCarron/Scherbak. Kristo ('08), Leblanc ('09), Tinordi ('10), Bealieu ('11). Two are already traded, the other two have had their fair share of ups and downs since being drafted.

For me I hope that management is looking at our farm system and wondering if they can do a better job there. I've been saying for a while that many Hab fans are going to be disappointed in regards to the upside of Tinordi and Beaulieu, as I felt some around here have been overrating them as I just don't see them being as good as other do. That said I think Tinordi will end up being a decent bottom pairing type that excels on the PK and Beaulieu has shown flashes of a solid top 4 but I have always questioned his smarts and if he will be able to put it all together.

Of course a lot can happen in regards to Tinordi/Bealieu over the next couple years, maybe they turn into top notch NHLers for us, would be great if so but I am concerned about both and have been for some time both in their play and the lack of progress when you consider they are top 20ish picks and have been working under a former NHL defensemen in Hamilton for some time. Blueliners were the supposed strength of this farm system in the not too distant past but it's not really looked so hot and that's a big concern when we have so many UFA defensemen on the roster.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
it's concerning as we haven't had good luck with our 1st picks in the draft since '07, outside of Galchenyuk and it's still very early for McCarron/Scherbak. Kristo ('08), Leblanc ('09), Tinordi ('10), Bealieu ('11). Two are already traded, the other two have had their fair share of ups and downs since being drafted.

For me I hope that management is looking at our farm system and wondering if they can do a better job there. I've been saying for a while that many Hab fans are going to be disappointed in regards to the upside of Tinordi and Beaulieu, as I felt some around here have been overrating them as I just don't see them being as good as other do. That said I think Tinordi will end up being a decent bottom pairing type that excels on the PK and Beaulieu has shown flashes of a solid top 4 but I have always questioned his smarts and if he will be able to put it all together.

Of course a lot can happen in regards to Tinordi/Bealieu over the next couple years, maybe they turn into top notch NHLers for us, would be great if so but I am concerned about both and have been for some time both in their play and the lack of progress when you consider they are top 20ish picks and have been working under a former NHL defensemen in Hamilton for some time. Blueliners were the supposed strength of this farm system in the not too distant past but it's not really looked so hot and that's a big concern when we have so many UFA defensemen on the roster.

Kristo was a 2nd rounder

We may as well slaughter the farm and call it a loss for the next 5-10 years. Really no point in having hope for them at all.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
2011:

1. Louis Leblanc
2. Jarred Tinordi
3. Danny Kristo
4. Alexander Avtsin
5. Michael Bournival
6. Ryan White
7. Aaron Palushaj
8. Joonas Nattinen
9. Mark MacMillan
10. Brendan Gallagher

Looking back that looks like a rough list, outside of Gallagher and White none of these players have proven themselves to be NHL players. Now hindsight plays a big factor here too but Avtsin ranked 4th. :help:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
2011:

1. Louis Leblanc
2. Jarred Tinordi
3. Danny Kristo
4. Alexander Avtsin
5. Michael Bournival
6. Ryan White
7. Aaron Palushaj
8. Joonas Nattinen
9. Mark MacMillan
10. Brendan Gallagher

Looking back that looks like a rough list, outside of Gallagher and White none of these players have proven themselves to be NHL players. Now hindsight plays a big factor here too but Avtsin ranked 4th. :help:

Avtsin was regarded a boom or bust prospect from the moment he was drafted. The Habs swung for the fences, and struck out.

I remember he was on mckenzie's notable others list and compared his style to ovechkin, which caused a lot of buzz.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kristo was a 2nd rounder

We may as well slaughter the farm and call it a loss for the next 5-10 years. Really no point in having hope for them at all.

notice the part where I said our 1st pick of the draft, which Kristo was. But where I did say there was no hope for the farm at all? If you don't have any concerns over the lack of progress, then good for you, I do however and it's based off watching them play almost every game in Hamilton every single year aside from this one as I got feed up with paying so much money to watch bad hockey on a crappy webcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad