Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think McCarron has ever been ranked #1 on here. He didn't even make the top 5 at the start of the year.

I don't read or follow anyone that ranks the Hab prospects, I don't recall hearing anyone rank McCarron at #1 other then me when I had him #1 on my site. I have been really high on him since I think he's going to bring something that the Habs sorely need, that along with the fact that I haven't been a big fan of the Habs farm system.

Last year they said it came from Lapointe, don't know how they ranked them this year

Most every poster has McCarron either 1 or 2. Read first page of this thread

I have had Scherbak as my #1 since he was drafted but I would put McCarron 2nd, with Hudon or DLR at 3rd. Although if Nygren didn't get injured this year I might have had him pretty high depending on how he did of course.

Rankings though are very subjective. Just look at THN's lists over the years, they have had their share of misses as well,

Avstin- 4th overall, 8th overall
Holland- 10th, 8th
Collberg- 4th, 6th
Palushaj- 7th, 5th
Quailer- 10th
Yann Danis- 4th, 5th
Juraj Mikus- 9th
Nattinen- 6th, 8th

etc.... As someone that has made his fair share of blunders in rankings over the years, I would have bet the farm that Perezhogin would have been a really good top 6 winger as I had him ranked #1. I had the Habs drafting Kositsyn when I wrote for the now defunct HF draft guide newspaper (though I did have Getzlaf as my 2nd choice), I was on the Leblanc bandwagon, didn't want us to draft him as his skating reminded me of Ribeiro but was really impressed with his play at Havard and his first year with the Dogs. I even liked David Fischer a lot until he didn't progress enough in his Senior year, and thought that Danny Kristo would be a top 6 winger in the NHL although that could still happen.

When it comes to draft picks, you just never know which ones are going to breakout one day and which are the ones that have already peaked. Ranking them is more for fun then anything since it's very hard to watch them all play a lot, the more prospects the more time and energy it takes to follow them which makes it harder to get a more accurate list at least for those that don't get paid to do so.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Interesting to see DLR at no. 1. I get that he's most NHL ready (as he's shown) but I don't see him being our top prospect. He doesn't have near the ceiling as some of the other guys. There's gotta be a balance of potential and likelihood of fulfilling it at the NHL level.

Here's my list.

1. Scherbak
2. McCarron
3. De la Rose
4. Fucale
5. Tinordi
6. Hudon
7. Lehkonen
8. Reway
9. Condon
10. Andrighetto

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Interesting to see DLR at no. 1. I get that he's most NHL ready (as he's shown) but I don't see him being our top prospect. He doesn't have near the ceiling as some of the other guys. There's gotta be a balance of potential and likelihood of fulfilling it at the NHL level.

Here's my list.

1. Scherbak
2. McCarron
3. De la Rose
4. Fucale
5. Tinordi
6. Hudon
7. Lehkonen
8. Reway
9. Condon
10. Andrighetto

Best list so far, but I'd probably extract Condon and add Gregoire in his place between Hudon and Lehkonen. Seems to me all these guys have a legit chance at playing as regulars in the NHL (not all with HABS obviously). Thank you Mr. Timmins

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They can't be as high on McCarron as we are. He as predominately ranked #1 here, but #5 in future watch. The rankings come from Montreal's front office.

The rankings do not come from their front office. They are the opinion of one person, likely a team scout or a player development person. These are not from Bergevin, Timmins, Dudley etc.

Can we just excercise a little common sense here people.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
2010's top 10 is brutal.

The 90's were sad.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
1 10 Montreal Andrei Kostitsyn R CSKA Moscow [Russia] 398 103 119 222 181 2011-12

Kostitsyn was a great pick, you rarely ever see anyone whining about it anymore. Not sure why'd you bring this back.

And looking back at the 2003 first round, most of the players aren't even relevant anymore. Most of them turned out to be average NHL players at best.

Its legendary status didn't live up to expectations.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Kostitsyn was a great pick, you rarely ever see anyone whining about it anymore. Not sure why'd you bring this back.

And looking back at the 2003 first round, most of the players aren't even relevant anymore. Most of them turned out to be average NHL players at best.

Its legendary status didn't live up to expectations.

Wrong, wrong ..........and wrong.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Kostitsyn was a major mistake considering the talent all around 10th. Parise, Corey Perry, Getzlaf, Carter.

Pouilot textbook reason why you don't draft players who are playing with a superstar. Crosby made him in junior
Yeah but he's a center so he didn't play with Crosby. He was 2nd center in Rimouski.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah but he's a center so he didn't play with Crosby. He was 2nd center in Rimouski.

That is wrong........he played on Crosby's wing. Not sure why you would post this as a fact when you clearly didn't watch him?

Another lesson to be learned, as stat sheets absolutely do lie my friend.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Timmins obviously drinks a lot in the first round, sobers up in the second and beyond.

And you pound them back before posting on here apparently.

I'd take Tinordi over Thrower...Patch over Latendresse, Scherbak over Collberg, McCarron over Crisp, Price over Fucale, Beaulieu over Bennett, McDonagh over Weber, Galchenyuk over Lehkonen, Chipchura over Fortier, Kostitsyn over Urquhart Other than that you're spot on.

The club has selected one first round bust during Timmins' dozen years on the job, and that was Fischer. Take a look at other clubs' first-round picks since 2003....nobody is perfect in the scouting profession - that's the only certainty to scouting..that there will be the odd 17-year-old you don't pre-judge correctly. Timmins strikes out fewer than most...since 2005 there have been few better at selecting in the first round with where they are positioned.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
That is wrong........he played on Crosby's wing. Not sure why you would post this as a fact when you clearly didn't watch him?

Another lesson to be learned, as stat sheets absolutely do lie my friend.
Not sure why you try to lecture me when Crosby wasn't even playing with Rimouski the year Pouliot was drafted? Go check hockeydb, they were both centers in his "inflated stats" season.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know I was talking to "the prophet"...

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
hey guys, noob question, but what criterion distinguishes between prospect and roster player? is it # of games played? or what?

With FW, if you're not considered an NHL regular at the time of printing, you're considered a prospect for the magazine.

That's why you see a guy like Jared Tinordi on that list. If it would have been published a week our two later, De La Rose would likely have been considered graduated.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The rankings do not come from their front office. They are the opinion of one person, likely a team scout or a player development person. These are not from Bergevin, Timmins, Dudley etc.

Can we just excercise a little common sense here people.

Who does the rankings then? How do you know? Maybe Grant will address it? He writes the articles

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't read the mag and never have so I don't know if they are getting their rankings from someone inside the Habs or not. But I was reading this thread on past THN future watch lists,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=651684&highlight=thn+future+watch

As someone that has been ranking Hab prospects for HF and other sites over the last 12+ years, I can attest to how difficult it is to have a good ranking and how much of a waste these rankings end up being as in the end they are more or less just for fun.

2008 is ridiculous. I wonder if it's the best draft year ever, for any team??

2008:

1.Carey Price
2.Ryan McDonagh
3.Max Pacioretty
4.PK Subban
5.David Fischer
6.Alexei Yemelin
7.Yannick Weber
8.Ben Maxwell
9.Ryan White
10.Mikhail Grabosvki

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0010282003.html
where's crosby ? :dunno:

as AMAZING as it is to see all those substantial names on that 2003 draft list, i mean really, my god, 80% of them are STILL SUPERstars in the NHL, what a draft

but the funniest part is seeing who DID go first overall lmao.
lol...I put that in there to see if anybody actually reads this board. I thought 50/50 anybody would pick it up. You must have either fluked it or really know your hockey. Crosby didn't arrive in Rim until after 2003 draft.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
2008 is ridiculous. I wonder if it's the best draft year ever, for any team??

2008:

1.Carey Price
2.Ryan McDonagh
3.Max Pacioretty
4.PK Subban
5.David Fischer
6.Alexei Yemelin
7.Yannick Weber
8.Ben Maxwell
9.Ryan White
10.Mikhail Grabosvki

are you asking if the 2007 draft was the best draft by any team in NHL history?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, that 2008 class is pretty sick. 1989 ain't bad either. Patrice Brisebois, Andrei Markov and Tomas Plekanec all should have been rated a lot higher.

I wonder who we'll say that about among our current prospect class. "Hey, how did that guy rate so low."

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Yeah, that 2008 class is pretty sick. 1989 ain't bad either. Patrice Brisebois, Andrei Markov and Tomas Plekanec all should have been rated a lot higher.

I wonder who we'll say that about among our current prospect class. "Hey, how did that guy rate so low."
Indeed

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad