GDT: Switzerland - Germany

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This tourny was set up for the Swiss to do something. Not a lot of NHL players. Disappointing.

The Swiss won two silvers in years where there were a reasonable amount of NHLers, no reason they couldn't do it again. They were missing a number of NA players of their own, most notably Josi.

Reactions: pukovnik

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
If anybody could give me a break down on Reichel. I have not had a chance to watch any of germany's games. from stats and videos looks like he has played well. do you think he could make the hawks out of camp. We need better Def from our forwards and more speed

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
missed chance for the swiss. germany took theirs and earn to be in the semi finals. congrats!

neat shootout move to lock it up!

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
But this isn't only about europe and it's not footy.

Oh wait, I forgot, this tournament is all about Europe.

Only Russia and Germany have four modern arenas for over 10k in Europe.

List of European ice hockey arenas - Wikipedia

List_of_European_ice_hockey_arenas

Reactions: Jussi

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
The better team won the game, now lets do everything in our power to bring a medal home to germany!

Impressive win against a very good swiss team!

Also quite impressive how the swiss team managed to play 70mins of hockey without taking a single penalty :P

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Did Basti Schwele (Sport1 TV) started to cry after Noebels goal ? It sounded like.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I think I made it pretty clear, I stand against shootouts deciding playdown games on PRINCIPLE. Has nothing to do with who I do or don't cheer for. I wasn't cheering for either of these teams today by the way, I just want to see results decided the correct way.
The thing is that if you play till the third or fourth Ot and then win you play your next game 2 Days later and that opponent did not play through five or six periods.
So your guys are beat down, exhausted and the others are fresh.

Which makes it unfair.

In a playoff format with a best of series you can do that because your opponent will be as beat as you are. But in a tournament where one win decides it all its better to go for it like we do now.
Also the Football did the golden goal thing during the Eurpean Cup in 96 (in the final germany won by it in overtime) and in 2000 France decided the semifinal and final with a golden goal in overtime (also european cup). We abolished it in 2002 and finaly in 2004.
It was seen as unfair for many and yes i see it like tha too. Why shouldn't the other team get the chance to make it even?

Reactions: Lauro and Bure80

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The thing is that if you play till the third or fourth Ot and then win you play your next game 2 Days later and that opponent did not play through five or six periods.
So your guys are beat down, exhausted and the others are fresh.

Which makes it unfair.

In a playoff format with a best of series you can do that because your opponent will be as beat as you are. But in a tournament where one win decides it all its better to go for it like we do now.
Also the Football did the golden goal thing during the Eurpean Cup in 96 (in the final germany won by it in overtime) and in 2000 France decided the semifinal and final with a golden goal in overtime (also european cup). We abolished it in 2002 and finaly in 2004.
It was seen as unfair for many and yes i see it like tha too. Why shouldn't the other team get the chance to make it even?
As another poster here said earlier, win it in regulation then.A day off between games is sufficient for rest. Thems the breaks if it goes 3-4 ot periods. You should win or lose playing hockey, not in a plucked from the sky skill test, may as well do a hardest shooting competition.

There has to be a way around this sham, if we can put a man on the moon surely we can do this.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
One could say the same about not wanting a game decided by SO. Them's the rules if you can't score another goal in regulation or OT.
You could, it's just that in that instance one is using that to justify deciding a hockey game using a shootout while one is using it to justify deciding a game playing hockey.

Which is kind of the point of playing the sport. After all, the H in IIHF, NHL, KHL or any other league or tournament stands for hockey, not shootout.

Right?

We can go back and forth on this until we are blue in the face but i can tell you you will never convince me to break on this, I want to watch hockey not a gimmick. And I certainly don't want to watch important games decided on gimmicks.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Nah it's all good, I can see where you're coming from. I just find it a bit befuddling that so many people seem to think of shooutout deciders as this weird alien concept that goes against all things hockey, when I look at them as the natural conclusion of a game in which no team managed to get ahead. Besides, 5-on-5 in regulation, 3-on-3 in overtime, 1-on-1 in the shootout. It's only logical :sarcasm:

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think we've been outcoachend today. SöderholmPeltonen managed to keep the game on the boards where germany won the puck battles and they took away all the advantages of the swiss teeam, swiss had almost 2 min 3 on 5 where they didn't score a goal, bayer/wohlwend are probably nice guys but you won't win anything with them in charge....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad