GDT: Switzerland - Germany

member 305909

Is that the reason they don't play games 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4 on consecutive days in Stanley Cup playoffs even though there's no travel between those games just to leave time to recover from possible very long OT?

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Those two love the sport. Unfortunatly World Championships and olympics are the only tim Hockey gets any kind of media attention in Germany. That is also why these tournaments are so important for the German players. Their chance to present themsselves and the effort shows that.
I am very happy that we do not have any "North Americans" with distant german routes any more on the team but players who grew up and learned their hockey in Germany.

Reactions: Kleefeld

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Yeah, I don't want anyone else. They are cheering for the team while they are neutral in their commentation.

Just lol, what exactly are you trying to say?

I've watched a lot of hockey in German and these guys are hilariously biased. It's near Jack Edwards level. Clearly it's more ok because they're making a German-language call for the German national team.

When Canada is playing nearly anyone and winning they are stroking them off and pumping the tires like "ohhh STARCK VON KANADA", then anytime Germany ties it up or gets ahead the extreme Homerism starts. Probably harder to realize when you're inside of it, but from the outside it is NOT neutral commentary.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

I've watched a lot of hockey in German and these guys are hilariously biased. It's near Jack Edwards level. Clearly it's more ok because they're making a German-language call for the German national team.

When Canada is playing nearly anyone and winning they are stroking them off and pumping the tires like "ohhh STARCK VON KANADA", then anytime Germany ties it up or gets ahead the extreme Homerism starts. Probably harder to realize when you're inside of it, but from the outside it is NOT neutral commentary.
The 3:1 still stings, eh?

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany

I never watch the german streams, I can't stand the way they do it. They shouldn't be the teams biggest fans, sorry. I exclusively watch the IIHF streams (using VPN) with the excellent english commentary. Can't get any better than them.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The 3:1 still stings, eh?
What we talking about?

Tourney is bush, but fun to watch when the authoritarian gov't has me in curfew. Was hoping the 18 year old Canadian US College player will score on an established European National squad. Still time for that. :popcorn:

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
I mean, there's no doubt they're huge homers. It's ok for people who are just tuning in bc it's the WC but not exactly helpful for the "hockey education" of average viewers :laugh: they're huge homers when it comes to reffing and also do the standard talk about cold blooded efficiency and blocking shots all the time being a sturdy defense when we're getting badly outchanced by a better opponent. Kinda like this is soccer where parking the bus and hitting them on the counter is a reasonable gameplan

Reactions: SaltNPeca

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I mean more that they are not biased when it comes to calls and when Germany plays bad or makes a mistake, they say it. Yeah, they are cheering for the team, but especially Goldmann says it like he sees it.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
If anybody could give me a break down on Reichel. I have not had a chance to watch any of germany's games. from stats and videos looks like he has played well. do you think he could make the hawks out of camp. We need better Def from our forwards and more speed

In fairness, I only saw parts of two games for Germany but both he and Peterka impressed. Would love to hear a more in depth assessment of their games.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
German captain crying after the game. Congrats..

What a beautiful interview. Raw emotion, love for country, love for the game and such pride in coming this far.

The beauty of this tournament lies in these moments, where the unexpected brings us all aboard rooting for such stories to continue.

It doesn't matter who puts on the national jersey for any country, anytime there is an international tournament, the pride and raw devotion to the cause elevates the Hockey to levels that will continue to marvel us each year.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It doesn't matter who puts on the national jersey for any country, anytime there is an international tournament, the pride and raw devotion to the cause elevates the Hockey to levels that will continue to marvel us each year.

95c8e55c86c442679deadf62579a912b.jpg

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
As a swiss, I really like them. They really bring emotions into it. You rarely get that from any german speaking commentator (D/A/CH).
Plus, for most of the time, they’re really entertaining and love the game. They always try to „sell“ it to the casual fans.
For the record I like it. Find it humorous. I was mostly just commenting on the fact it is super biased.
German captain crying after the game. Congrats..

What a beauty this guy is.
Never heard him speak English, despite practicing with him a few times lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad