Prospect Info: Sven Andrighetto (Re-Called)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
FA/trade isn't the only way to fill your top 6 spots. At some point, when you need players to fill in the top 6, and you have prospects in the AHL that have the potential to play there, you have to give them a real chance. I'm not talking about rookies like Scherbak and McCarron, but guys like Carr/Andrighetto/Hudon should get their shot to be viable alternatives. I'm not sure why it seems like the coach has been so reluctant to put them where they belong when they are called up in place of guys like Desharnais and Weise considering how the latter two haven't done much for the past 40 games.

I mean would this really be that crazy:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Hudon-Plekanec-Andrighetto
Desharnais-Eller-Fleishmann
Byron-Mitchell-Weise

I find it hard to believe this lineup would produce FEWER goals than what Therrien has rolled with during this apocalypse of a slump.

The problem is we don't have much in the AHL that could be full time top 6 forwards imo. Scherbak had he not been injured is our best hope from this years AHL team. But he's also shown that his lack of strength is a big concern. That said he has size and skill, skating and speed so there's a lot to like. McCarron as our 2nd best prospect it's just a matter of how well his offensive game translates, but if he stays at center it might be a little while before he's ready for top 6 duties.

That leaves Ghetto, Hudon, Carr, Holloway, Lessio, DLR, Friberg, etc.... Clearly for now DLR is a bottom 6 forward, Friberg looks that way, Lessio I don't think he has enough offensive upside to be in the top 6 in the NHL full time. Holloway lacks speed but unless he got more then 7 minutes I can't say for sure, he's easily been one of our best players in the AHL this year. Carr was a surprise to me, I am still not sold on him as I think he needs to get quicker and improve his lower body strength. I see him as more of a 3rd liner. Ghetto if he were better in his own end and more consistent perhaps he could be a full time top 6 forward, the question then becomes how good will he be if we were a team trying to contend for a cup (so with Price 100% healthy). Hudon has shown the most in the AHL to date but I could see him as more of a 3rd liner, but it's hard to say until we see him for more then 2 games. He needs to get stronger and quicker but he's so smart and skilled that perhaps he could be a top 6 full time on a contending team.

I know that if we had Hudon, Ghetto, Carr in the top 6 full time, I would be concerned about being a cup contending team. (say if Price never got injured)

Seriously, that's how nearly all offensive players are. Players that get 60-70 points a year don't have a very even point production all across the season (at least the vast majority don't). They get a few games with a point in a row or 2-3 in one, then go a few games not having points, then produce some more, etc.

What you described from Andrighetto is about as consistent as it gets. It's not like he had 9 points in 4 games and then 8 games without a point, and then another 2 games with 4 points.

Players more consistent than that are a rarity.

What do you consider the definition of consistent? Cause scoring lots of points in half the games and then scoring no points in the other half is what I would call inconsistent. The whole point is that if he can just find a way to produce at a more consistent level, he would be one of our best prospects but so far he hasn't shown in the past that he can be. He's shown he can put up offense but then disappears. I understand that many players lack consistency, especially this year on the Habs since the offense has gone into a black hole but my point is that if Ghetto were more consistent we would be looking at a top notch prospect.

He did seem to get the message, although it's a small sample size but he was showing consistency and playing perhaps his best hockey this year after being sent down and sure enough he ends up with 7 pts in 8 games.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Just like the DD injury was a blessing for Chucky, as much as it sucks seeing Gallagher hurt it gives Ghetto a huge opportunity.

Thought he had a great game yesterday, over 19 minutes played and helped create a lot of chances on the top line.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah Ghetto's been inconsistent...getting demoted to the 3rd and 4th lines every other period will do that to you.

He's not a world beater but he's far better than someone like Semin. I'd rather give chances to the kid who may be out of the NHL in 2 years than the washed up guys who will definitely be out of the NHL in 2 years.

The kid has looked real good the past 3 games. Seems to have found his groove and has confidence knowing he'll get a shot with no chance of playoffs and all the mounting injuries. The present means a bit more than the past. Not much more, but a bit more.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Solid player, no two ways about it

everytime he plays in the top 6 he impacts the game in a positive way

when he plays on the 4th line? not so much, go figure.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Solid player, no two ways about it

everytime he plays in the top 6 he impacts the game in a positive way

when he plays on the 4th line? not so much, go figure.

Because therrien is teaching him how to play hockey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah Ghetto's been inconsistent...getting demoted to the 3rd and 4th lines every other period will do that to you.

In the last 22 games, only twice has he had less then 12:51 in ice time. (he played 10:30 on 2-9, and 10:57 on 3-2) In those 22 games he's picked up a point in 5 games, 17 games he's been pointless. If the Habs hope to be a cup contender next year and they don't make any changes, it will be interesting to see if Ghetto is the answer in the top 6 or not. Clearly he has NHL speed and I really like his shot but we'll see how he does over a full season when you are one of the top teams in the NHL instead of one of the worst and the season is already toast.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
In the last 22 games, only twice has he had less then 12:51 in ice time. (he played 10:30 on 2-9, and 10:57 on 3-2) In those 22 games he's picked up a point in 5 games, 17 games he's been pointless. If the Habs hope to be a cup contender next year and they don't make any changes, it will be interesting to see if Ghetto is the answer in the top 6 or not. Clearly he has NHL speed and I really like his shot but we'll see how he does over a full season when you are one of the top teams in the NHL instead of one of the worst and the season is already toast.
If you're thinking about contending I don't think he's the answer for the top 6. But he would be great for offensive depth to have on a 3rd line for example, problem is I don't know if he's able or maybe willing to play a checking game for the 3rd line.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Guys who score 35-40 goals and/or 80 points are more consistent than 20-25 goals scorers and 50 point guys. That is why the former get $8M plus a year and the later $4-5M. It's the difference between star/elite, and average 2nd liner.

Often the talent could be there to be more than a 25 goal guy but the effort is not. Consistently bringing it every game, a la Gallagher, is clearly challenging for many if not most players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you're thinking about contending I don't think he's the answer for the top 6. But he would be great for offensive depth to have on a 3rd line for example, problem is I don't know if he's able or maybe willing to play a checking game for the 3rd line.

I was hoping Hudon would get a 3rd line spot, he's better defensively then Ghetto but lacks his speed. I think Hudon is a good bit smarter and more offensively gifted.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

This is the big question for me. Whether he can be a top 6 on a real contender. Still not quite sure about that. I think he can be leap frogged by some of our guys. He's done a helluva job. Even when he's not putting up points. he fits in and contributes in other ways.

It's also whether he can still be better and by how much? I think he can still be better but probably not by leaps and bounds. But again like I've said he was arguably our 5th ranked forward prospect on the Ice Caps and was our 7th rated prospect by this board.

how bad can our prospect pool be? When was the last time we had that low ranking a forward prospect look this comfortable in the top 6? Not since I've been paying attention to our prospect pool.

Grant might rub a few people the wrong way and S bah might seem hyperbolic but i'm hitching my horse to their wagon because I'm pretty sure in a few years we're going to be a very tough team to play against and a lot of that will come from within.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was drafted in 2013. He is not tall but very solidly built. Reminds me of Mark Recchi . Very strong on his skates and will battle hard in corners. Not intimidated.
Top tier NHL speed. He has top 6 upside. Play him in the top 6 over the next 15 games and see how he does.

He is fun to watch.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is the big question for me. Whether he can be a top 6 on a real contender. Still not quite sure about that. I think he can be leap frogged by some of our guys. He's done a helluva job. Even when he's not putting up points. he fits in and contributes in other ways.

It's also whether he can still be better and by how much? I think he can still be better but probably not by leaps and bounds. But again like I've said he was arguably our 5th ranked forward prospect on the Ice Caps and was our 7th rated prospect by this board.

how bad can our prospect pool be? When was the last time we had that low ranking a forward prospect look this comfortable in the top 6? Not since I've been paying attention to our prospect pool.

Grant might rub a few people the wrong way and S bah might seem hyperbolic but i'm hitching my horse to their wagon because I'm pretty sure in a few years we're going to be a very tough team to play against and a lot of that will come from within.

Our prospect pool has a lot of depth but not a lot of high end talent with size. So that makes for a lot of question marks when you have a number of high skilled but no size prospects. Reway, Lehkonen, Evans, Ghetto, Carr, Hudon, Audette. All either lack height and or weight and or strength. So trying to predict what they will be in the new NHL is very hard to do, add to that what I think are serious development issues at the AHL level makes me concerned about our prospect pool going forward.

That said I have touting Scherbak/McCarron/Hudon since each was drafted and still think very highly of them. With Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pac, we don't need a ton of high end talent to come in over the next year or two but if we get some guys that can contribute at a decent clip that should really help.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Our prospect pool has a lot of depth but not a lot of high end talent with size. So that makes for a lot of question marks when you have a number of high skilled but no size prospects. Reway, Lehkonen, Evans, Ghetto, Carr, Hudon, Audette. All either lack height and or weight and or strength. So trying to predict what they will be in the new NHL is very hard to do, add to that what I think are serious development issues at the AHL level makes me concerned about our prospect pool going forward.

That said I have touting Scherbak/McCarron/Hudon since each was drafted and still think very highly of them. With Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pac, we don't need a ton of high end talent to come in over the next year or two but if we get some guys that can contribute at a decent clip that should really help.

While Evans and Carr are not huge they both are 6'0 and can fill out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
While Evans and Carr are not huge they both are 6'0 and can fill out.

Carr will be 25 a month into next season, so I don't know how much more he'll fill out. Evans sure he's only 19, but I've seen a lot of him and he's skinny and gets pushed off the puck very easily.

In what world is Hudon a top 6 player on a contending hockey club?

Hudon is a 4th liner. be serious

I could see Hudon being on the 3rd line next year, he can play on the 4th as he does have some sandpaper to his game but I would hope that with his skill and smarts he would be on the 3rd line. It's really hard to say what he can be though since we have only seen 2 games in the NHL.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012

We are 1 UFA signing away and 1 prospect being able to play in the top 6 to have a real dangerous top 6. That UFA signing could have been Justin Williams or Joel Ward but Bergevin missed the mark with Semin. I think we are going to see another UFA pool that will sign relatively cheap contracts this summer. I don't see the cap going up and teams will be very conservative. This gives MB the opportunity to sign shorter term contracts at a low price for some veteran experience such as Jiri Hudler or Frans Nielsen, or if he can dump some cap elsewhere go big for someone younger and try to land Stamkos or Okposo.

We would still need a prospect to be able to play top 6 minutes for at least the latter part of the season and into the playoffs. If there isn't one, then our Stanley Cup chances will be slim and will depend on being able to trade Eller for a top 6 player. Unfortunately, I don't see the latter happening. If McCarron can play 2C next year (doubt it) that opens up for a Plekanec trade for a 2nd line W. If Scherbak can play top 6, then we are set.

This year's draft will be huge in securing another top winger or Center. I don't see the Habs being able to afford resigning Pacioretty in 3 years and they will have to replace that scoring somehow.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We are 1 UFA signing away and 1 prospect being able to play in the top 6 to have a real dangerous top 6. That UFA signing could have been Justin Williams or Joel Ward but Bergevin missed the mark with Semin. I think we are going to see another UFA pool that will sign relatively cheap contracts this summer. I don't see the cap going up and teams will be very conservative. This gives MB the opportunity to sign shorter term contracts at a low price for some veteran experience such as Jiri Hudler or Frans Nielsen, or if he can dump some cap elsewhere go big for someone younger and try to land Stamkos or Okposo.

We would still need a prospect to be able to play top 6 minutes for at least the latter part of the season and into the playoffs. If there isn't one, then our Stanley Cup chances will be slim and will depend on being able to trade Eller for a top 6 player. Unfortunately, I don't see the latter happening. If McCarron can play 2C next year (doubt it) that opens up for a Plekanec trade for a 2nd line W. If Scherbak can play top 6, then we are set.

This year's draft will be huge in securing another top winger or Center. I don't see the Habs being able to afford resigning Pacioretty in 3 years and they will have to replace that scoring somehow.

I would be surprised if McCarron or Scherbak or any other prospect could step in next year into a top 6 role and put up the kind of numbers we would need to be a cup contender, but perhaps the following year.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i see him being a Tatar-esque player, whether or not he reaches his lvl still remains to be seen

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He was drafted in 2013. He is not tall but very solidly built. Reminds me of Mark Recchi . Very strong on his skates and will battle hard in corners. Not intimidated.
Top tier NHL speed. He has top 6 upside. Play him in the top 6 over the next 15 games and see how he does.

He is fun to watch.

I would have loved to have seen him compete in a playoff atmosphere.
I still can't make up my mind on Ghetto.
My original instinct was no he can't really help.
But I admit I was biased by a small forwards group.
I still am! :help: If we opt for bigger Centermen on our top 6 perhaps he can work out.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
I agree Tatar-esque, but a poor man's Tatar.

Maybe. Not that it says that much but Ghetto is getting points at about the same pace as Tatar was when he was 22. I like the way Ghetto has played this year. I hope that we get a top line RW in the summer, but Ghetto has been a decent player this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad