Recalled/Assigned: Sundqvist Called Up

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He looked pretty strong on faceoffs but it's not much of a sample size. If he can be a 50% guy or better he seems like an ideal 4th line center, and a solid winger if he can't.

Keep in mind he's 2 full years younger than Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl & Sheary.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He looked pretty strong on faceoffs but it's not much of a sample size. If he can be a 50% guy or better he seems like an ideal 4th line center, and a solid winger if he can't.

Keep in mind he's 2 full years younger than Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl & Sheary.

He was 37.5% last game. Not good but actually second best center behind Sid.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He was 37.5% last game. Not good but actually second best center behind Sid.

what kind of learning curve is there moving up leagues in terms of faceoffs? Is that something that takes time to get used to at the NHL level? I'm sure they didn't have him go over tenancies of the other centers or anything in his first game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
what kind of learning curve is there moving up leagues in terms of faceoffs? Is that something that takes time to get used to at the NHL level? I'm sure they didn't have him go over tenancies of the other centers or anything in his first game.

It takes years, even after you hit the NHL.

First game, with the road disadvantage . . . he was fine.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Also remember he hasn't played center full time for the past 2 years. He was a winger once he got up with the big club in Skellefteå.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Eh, semantics. I'm just saying that questioning whether he'll ever be an NHL player after watching one game seems a bit reactionary, no?

Fair enough. I think he looked far less nervous tonight. Still not impressed with his skating, I like his hockey sense, and I like his size. If he builds off the positives and works to minimize the negative he could be a good player. I see him going back down when Bonino returns, however, but I'd like to think he can be a more dominant third line caliber center when he eventually comes up for good. He does have the potential but I don't see it happening yet.

rookie skater

Jan 25, 2016
someone mentioned in the GDT of the possible chemistry between Sundqvist and Plotnikov. I'll atleast try it once in practice before sending Sundqvist down. Perhaps with Kuhnhackl as the other wing. Can become a good shutdown line if they click. Move Rust to a scoring line with Cullen as center.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
someone mentioned in the GDT of the possible chemistry between Sundqvist and Plotnikov. I'll atleast try it once in practice before sending Sundqvist down. Perhaps with Kuhnhackl as the other wing. Can become a good shutdown line if they click. Move Rust to a scoring line with Cullen as center.

You mean when some guys come back, something like this?

Kunitz, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Bonino, Cullen, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Sundqvist, Plotnikov

I don't put Fehr or Bennett in yet, with Beau you don't know how many games until he's out again and Fehr, it's a month for now but you never know.

rookie skater

Jan 25, 2016
You mean when some guys come back, something like this?

Kunitz, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Bonino, Cullen, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Sundqvist, Plotnikov

I don't put Fehr or Bennett in yet, with Beau you don't know how many games until he's out again and Fehr, it's a month for now but you never know.

yeah, but only in practice to try whether there's some kind of potential click between Kuhnhackl, Sundqvist, & Plotnikov. Coz together they seem like a frustrating line for the opponent, might even draw opponents to take penalty.

Doubt they will/should try it during games, coz perhaps MS considered communication between linemates would be important to avoid mistakes during game. And when Malkin returns, Sundqvist might be the one who will be send back as Porter is a safer choice going forward.

Rust is great, but he might need some veteran's guidance/composure to start regularly putting up points. Sometimes he just seems too excited to score that his plays become sloppy near the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad