Recalled/Assigned: Sundqvist Called Up

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I was hoping he would be called up AFTER Sheary/Porter because he has more potential, he worked his AHL ass over D & now i think he's ready. If gelitude goes right expect him to back the 4th in PO.

"If Sundqvist is running the 4th i don't see him getting under 5-6 TTOI. Here's hoping for 7-9 if the gelitude factor is a positive."

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I was so bummed I wouldn't see Malkin when I go to the game, and then got so excited to see this happen!! So glad I'll be there I hope he plays!

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good experience for the kid. Hopefully this means he'll be a full time NHLer no later than this fall.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
sundq.jpg

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Sucks that it took Malkin getting hurt for him to come up here. I don't see what Porter has done to deserve to be in the NHL over Sundqvist. Would rather play the guy with the higher ceiling.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sucks that it took Malkin getting hurt for him to come up here. I don't see what Porter has done to deserve to be in the NHL over Sundqvist. Would rather play the guy with the higher ceiling.

Rather keep Sundqvist in the A and let him develop.

Bringing him up for a couple games is good, but we sit Porter when we have a healthy roster and not worry about it. Do the same with Sundqvist and you are not letting him develop.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

The fact he has a higher ceiling is why he was still in the A. They want to get him minutes.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Rather keep Sundqvist in the A and let him develop.

Bringing him up for a couple games is good, but we sit Porter when we have a healthy roster and not worry about it. Do the same with Sundqvist and you are not letting him develop.
He did develop enough to get a call though. If this bumps Sheary/Porter out because of Sundqvist's play then that's pushing out garbage (at this point in time) for better potential. I just hope Sully gives him a real chance out there.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Another player from the 2012 draft playing for us. Bleuguers likely will too at some point.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm not sure if he wasn't ever getting PP time, but the games I saw of WBS he wasn't on either PP unit. But he's their #1 PK center, and looked like he was being groomed as a purely defensive, shut down center. I was hoping they would work harder to develop the two-way side of his game, but maybe that's planned for the 2nd half of the year in the A.

I guess he'll be the #2 PK center with the big club with Fehr out. Excited to see the kid play.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He did develop enough to get a call though. If this bumps Sheary/Porter out because of Sundqvist's play then that's pushing out garbage (at this point in time) for better potential. I just hope Sully gives him a real chance out there.

If we have Bonino and Fehr back you are asking Sundqvist to play out of his position as a rookie. Let him play 16 minutes in the AHL instead of 7 or 8 in the NHL. It'll be better long term. He's only 21.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
If we have Bonino and Fehr back you are asking Sundqvist to play out of his position as a rookie. Let him play 16 minutes in the AHL instead of 7 or 8 in the NHL. It'll be better long term. He's only 21.

? ...since both Bonino & Ferh are versatile i don't see the problem, especially if either one is traded before TDL.

Just watch the kid.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I'm excited about this. I think Sundqvist at the stage where because his defensive game is really so solid so he can fill out the other stuff and put it all together either in the A or the NHL, it doesn't matter.

He's really a monster on the PK; I'd pair him and Cullen up for a few kills. Don't expect much in the way of offensive instinct, though he's pretty good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and just wearing teams down and getting them to ice the puck out of frustration. Sundqvist just doesn't really do anything with the puck while he's in there, that's the frustration with him. I'm still waiting for that moment where it just clicks for him.

I've often wondered how he would do on the left wing opposite some skill on the right, with a center like Malkin. I feel like he'd get a lot of hard work assists. But I definitely see the appeal in developing him as a shutdown center.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

Sundqvist plays all forward positions. The games in Sweden I watched he exclusively played wing.

Nonetheless I'm happy they called him up so late. Under MJ this team was an absolute ****show. Could have hurt his confidence a lot, adjusting to the NHL under these circumstances *cough* Plotnikov.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I still love that story about how Sundqvist was terrified when Sid started talking to him during camp one year. Hopefully he doesn't get too star struck during games :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad