Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm usually a big fan of your posts, but this one...........? Yikes

giphy.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pumped to see him play.

Me too.

Don't expect much offensively, but really anxious to see how his game translates defensively.

I also recall that he had a little edge to his game. Would love to see if he brings it to this collection of cream puffs.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've been looking forward to seeing Sundqvist play all season. I think he could be a really solid bottom 6 player for us.

Also I hear he does amazing Crimps.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
With Fehr out for a month, Sundqvist is going to get a good long look at center. If he does well, I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks the rest of the year. He can play multiple positions, and so can Fehr/Bonino. That kind of flexibility could be really valuable down the stretch.

This isn't necessarily what I would do, but I could see the Pens doing the following in March/April:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Bonino - Fehr - Bennett
Sundqvist - Cullen - Rust

If Bennett's still broken, you could plug shift Rust up a line and plug in Kuhnhackl.

And if the Pens feel Sundqvist is better served playing center in the AHL, that's okay too. But as a bigger body with versatility, I could really see him sticking if he does well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With Fehr out for a month, Sundqvist is going to get a good long look at center. If he does well, I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks the rest of the year. He can play multiple positions, and so can Fehr/Bonino. That kind of flexibility could be really valuable down the stretch.

This isn't necessarily what I would do, but I could see the Pens doing the following in March/April:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Bonino - Fehr - Bennett
Sundqvist - Cullen - Rust

If Bennett's still broken, you could plug shift Rust up a line and plug in Kuhnhackl.

And if the Pens feel Sundqvist is better served playing center in the AHL, that's okay too. But as a bigger body with versatility, I could really see him sticking if he does well.

if we can get that forward group to stay healthy with Sundqvist looking solid, I don't even think I'll ***** about Kunitz. Ok, I will. But probably less.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
After his first performance, my initial impression was questioning his long term viability as an NHL player. His skating was atrocious. He's very slow, and fell down a few times crossing over his feet. However, what I did like obviously first and foremost was his size. He is a big guy, and if he ever gets his feet under him could really utilize that size. The other more subtle thing I noticed that was a positive, was his ability to make the unspectacular but correct passes to move the team out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone. He should probably be in the minors until next season at least, but there were things that I liked about his game. I'd love to be proven wrong, however. I just thought he looked like he could use some more seasoning.

LostLiquorLicense

Jul 13, 2009
Pittsburgh
After his first performance, my initial impression was questioning his long term viability as an NHL player. His skating was atrocious. He's very slow, and fell down a few times crossing over his feet. However, what I did like obviously first and foremost was his size. He is a big guy, and if he ever gets his feet under him could really utilize that size. The other more subtle thing I noticed that was a positive, was his ability to make the unspectacular but correct passes to move the team out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone. He should probably be in the minors until next season at least, but there were things that I liked about his game. I'd love to be proven wrong, however. I just thought he looked like he could use some more seasoning.

My initial impression is to not have an initial impression after his very first game in the bigs. With the previously mentioned nervousness around Sid as my evidence, I'm going to say that he was an absolute bundle of nerves for this game, and that's why we saw the few gaffes and the sloppy skating. His play in the defensive zone was efficient; as we all thought it would be.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
My initial impression is to not have an initial impression after his very first game in the bigs. With the previously mentioned nervousness around Sid as my evidence, I'm going to say that he was an absolute bundle of nerves for this game, and that's why we saw the few gaffes and the sloppy skating. His play in the defensive zone was efficient; as we all thought it would be.

So you make your initial decision after viewing several games? Have you ever googled the definition of 'initial'?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He looks like I expected him to. Strong on the wall, responsible defensively, and with absolutely zero offensive skill.

He's going to have to figure out that last part if he wants to stick in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He looks like I expected him to. Strong on the wall, responsible defensively, and with absolutely zero offensive skill.

He's going to have to figure out that last part if he wants to stick in the NHL.

Hope that last part isn't true. If he's ever going to fill the role some folks envision for him (heir apparent to the 3C role), then you can't be offensively inept.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

He's a stud 3C if he does and a really nice 4C if he doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad