OT: Summer Olympics

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
US finally shows up in Sevens. With two yellow cards against Argentina and the speed of the US team, the US should be dominating this match

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Apparently she isn't much of a favorite this Olympics despite the fact she seemed to be in every commercial leading up to the Olympics.

After seeing her get smoked I searched the Internet for articles explaining this possibility. Found a Deadspin article that gave a good explanation for after London. Cliff notes version:

- Wanted College experience, so didn't turn pro.
- developed nagging injuries while swimming in college.
- after 2 years of College she turns "pro".
- not prepared for amount of commitments come with being pro, eats into practice time.
- as a pro she has to practice by herself, misses team atmosphere.
- she develops more pronounced women parts.
- barely makes Olympic team at trials.

I'll look for link to article, but basically that's what happened to Missy Franklin.

Interesting....

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
CpdkEW_XgAEhx6z.jpg

Well, I didn't see most of his golds. Wasn't interested much in swimming. But that is out of this world.

Now lets wait for Bolt's 3rd.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
In other Phelps news, his 12th individual event win ties him for the most all-time... with Leonidas of Rhodes.

http://deadspin.com/michael-phelps-tied-a-2-168-year-old-olympic-record-1785077553

To be fair, it's to Phelps' advantage he competes in a sport that awards numerous medals per Olympiad. Swimming is giving out a total of 34 gold medals these games. Countries that produce superlative athletes in events with fewer medals (fencing, Triathalon, BMX, etc) or team sports aren't going to see the same medal return.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
In other Phelps news, his 12th individual event win ties him for the most all-time... with Leonidas of Rhodes.

http://deadspin.com/michael-phelps-tied-a-2-168-year-old-olympic-record-1785077553

To be fair, it's to Phelps' advantage he competes in a sport that awards numerous medals per Olympiad. Swimming is giving out a total of 34 gold medals these games. Countries that produce superlative athletes in events with fewer medals (fencing, Triathalon, BMX, etc) or team sports aren't going to see the same medal return.

To be even more fair, he's still got to win each event...and the stretch of time he's repeated as best in the world in mind numbing. You really can't take anything away from the guy.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If Maryland were a country it would be tied for 3rd with 6 gold medals. And tied for 11th with 7 total medals. :yo:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Meanwhile, Penny Oleksiak (sister of Jamie from the Dallas Stars), is making Canada proud. One gold, one silver and two bronze medals for the 16 year old. That's the most medal for a Canadian athlete in a single Olympic game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Four medals is the most for a single Canadian Olympian in one games? How cute. <3

We don't have a freaking cyborg who has more gold medals than he has fingers and toes.
By the way, I meant Summer games only. In winter games, we have athletes who get more than 4.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
First ever women's Olympic shootout coming up.

USA's experience should win out here....but I won't be surprised if Sweden pulls through...very game side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad