OT: Summer Olympics

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
tomorrow schedule

SATURDAY, AUGUST 6
(DAY 1)
NBC
8-10:30 AM: Rowing – Qualifying Heats (LIVE); Men’s Cycling – Road Race (LIVE); Men’s Water Polo – U.S. vs. Croatia (LIVE)
10:30 AM-2:30 PM: Men’s Cycling – Road Race (LIVE); Swimming – Qualifying Heats (LIVE)
2:30-4:15 PM: Rowing – Qualifying Heats; Men’s Beach Volleyball – Gibb/Patterson (U.S.) vs. Jefferson/Cherif (Qatar) (LIVE)
4:15-6 PM: Women’s Volleyball – U.S. vs. Puerto Rico (LIVE)
8 PM-midnight: Men’s Gymnastics –Team Competition; Swimming (LIVE) – Men’s 400m Individual Medley – Gold Medal Final; Men’s 400m Freestyle – Gold Medal Final; Women’s 400m Individual Medley – Gold Medal Final; Women’s 100m Butterfly – Semifinals; Men’s 100m Breaststroke – Semifinals; Women’s 4x100m Freestyle Relay – Gold Medal Final; Women’s Beach Volleyball – Walsh Jennings/Ross (U.S.) vs. Artacho Del Solar/Laird (Australia) (LIVE)
12:30-1:30 AM: Men’s Gymnastics –Team Competition
NBCSN
9 AM-noon: Men’s Archery – Team Round of 16 (LIVE); Women’s Shooting – 10m Air Rifle Gold Medal Final (LIVE); Beach Volleyball – Preliminary Round (LIVE); Women’s Volleyball – Japan vs. South Korea
Noon-1 PM: Women’s Rugby – U.S. vs. Fiji (LIVE); Women’s Rugby – Preliminary Round (LIVE)
1-4 PM: Men’s Basketball – Australia vs. France (LIVE); Beach Volleyball – Preliminary Round; Men’s Water Polo – Spain vs. Italy
4-6 PM: Women’s Soccer – U.S. vs. France (LIVE)
6-8 PM: Men’s Basketball – U.S. vs. China (LIVE)
8-9 PM: Judo – Gold Medal Finals; Women’s Weightlifting – 48kg Gold Medal Final
9 PM-midnight: Women’s Soccer – Brazil vs. Sweden (LIVE); Table Tennis – Singles First and Second Rounds; Boxing – Elimination Matches
MSNBC
Noon-2:15 PM: Beach Volleyball – Preliminary Round (LIVE); Women’s Handball – Norway vs. Brazil
2:15-5 PM: Table Tennis – Singles First Round; Men’s Archery – Team Gold Medal Final (LIVE)
USA
3-4 PM: Equestrian – Eventing, Dressage
4-5:30 PM: Women’s Field Hockey – U.S. vs. Argentina (LIVE)
5:30-6:30 PM: Beach Volleyball – Preliminary Round
6:30-8 PM: Women’s Fencing – Individual Epee Gold Medal Final
CNBC
5-8 PM: Women’s Rugby – U.S. vs. Colombia (LIVE); Women’s Rugby – Preliminary Round; Women’s Soccer – Germany vs. Australia (LIVE)
BRAVO
9:30 AM-12:30 PM: Tennis (LIVE)
12:30-3:30 PM: Tennis (LIVE)
3:30-5:45 PM: Tennis (LIVE)
5:45-10 PM: Tennis (LIVE)

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
(mod)

I thought the opening ceremonies were average, a bit of a downer from say London and Beijing. Having said that I'm looking forward to the next two weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've played sports my whole life, through college, and post-collegiately. I played water polo for a semester at school to help train for other sports, and even though I'm a good swimmer, it was the most brutally exhausting sport I've ever played. Didn't help that I'm 5'6'' and the dudes I was playing against were all 6'+.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
I must admit, it was disappointing seeing the American men leave with one silver in swimming Day One after watching Phelps dominate for the last 16 years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Summer Olympics remind me of something I learned playing hockey in college. Women's field hockey players are hot

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
what was brutal was the ridiculous about of time it took to get her some help. That was downright embarrassing for those running these games. Horrible.

And apparently some cycling experts have claimed the course itself was dangerous before the crash even happened.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And apparently some cycling experts have claimed the course itself was dangerous before the crash even happened.

Sounds similar to the complaints about various courses during the Russia olympics

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
She clearly was not prepared for that corner to be as tight as it was and being alone she had no traffic to help her learn what was coming.

That said as a racer that has crashed hard a couple of times and as someone that cycles 20 miles a day, the lenth of time it took for emergency personel to respond to her was horrifying. She had to be scared to death that no one was going to help her.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
She clearly was not prepared for that corner to be as tight as it was and being alone she had no traffic to help her learn what was coming.

That said as a racer that has crashed hard a couple of times and as someone that cycles 20 miles a day, the lenth of time it took for emergency personel to respond to her was horrifying. She had to be scared to death that no one was going to help her.

I heard another racer say they had been specifically warned about coming down, but that maybe when you're out front, you are more amped.

I'm betting she was out cold. Hard to be terrified while you're unconscious...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I heard another racer say they had been specifically warned about coming down, but that maybe when you're out front, you are more amped.

I'm betting she was out cold. Hard to be terrified while you're unconscious...

She turned in too early and was toast from the time she did that.

I watched the footage and she moved pretty early on. she broke her spine in 3 places based on what i heard. so, she might have looked out but she was making sounds.
I would not jump to the conclusion that its ok how long it took because she was probably out.

Here's hoping she was.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Baker and Dwyer with medals in swimming, its always nice to see when they get their firsts.

The commentators were doing nothing but saying oh the South African guy has no chance, he always starts fast on his way to the silver

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
That was a terrible effort. Did she even try?

Apparently she isn't much of a favorite this Olympics despite the fact she seemed to be in every commercial leading up to the Olympics.

After seeing her get smoked I searched the Internet for articles explaining this possibility. Found a Deadspin article that gave a good explanation for after London. Cliff notes version:

- Wanted College experience, so didn't turn pro.
- developed nagging injuries while swimming in college.
- after 2 years of College she turns "pro".
- not prepared for amount of commitments come with being pro, eats into practice time.
- as a pro she has to practice by herself, misses team atmosphere.
- she develops more pronounced women parts.
- barely makes Olympic team at trials.

I'll look for link to article, but basically that's what happened to Missy Franklin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad