OT: Summer Olympics

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The "aaaaaaaaaaaaa ZIIIKAAAAAA!" shouts on her goal kicks were simultaneously creepy and hilarious.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean she's right, they did park the bus. Even then the USA women had the game on their boots and choked it.

Still she comes off really badly here. She's played for them since 2000, her time is ending anyway.

Not sure she has to answer to some silly Ambassador of the game role....to say she doesn't appreciate it after being a player since 2000 is over the top. Let's not mistake pissing on Sweden with pissing on the USWNT. Those are emotions talking. She's done more than her fair share in making that program a success.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Phelps goes out with gold in this last relay. 23 gold medals, 28 medals in total. Arguably the greatest Olympian off all time. Impressive career.

Ryan Murphy sets world record in 100m backstroke to start off the relay to boot.

And the USA women dominated the Women's medley relay before the Men.

Also, USA continues to kick all forms of ass in swimming. Love it. :handclap:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean she's right, they did park the bus. Even then the USA women had the game on their boots and choked it.

Still she comes off really badly here. She's played for them since 2000, her time is ending anyway.

Not sure she has to answer to some silly Ambassador of the game role....to say she doesn't appreciate it after being a player since 2000 is over the top. Let's not mistake pissing on Sweden with pissing on the USWNT. Those are emotions talking. She's done more than her fair share in making that program a success.

This. I'm no apologist, but she's what, a 2-time Olympic gold medalist and a World Cup champion? She's got a right to comment.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Watch the Real Sports about the Rio Olympic....downright horrifying how bad the water is...

I feel bad for the athletes. Competing in the Olympics is such a rare honor and Rio has been a joke. The divers are diving into a cesspool. 80L of Hydrogen Peroxide was dumped into the pools. Even if you buy the excuse that the organizers didn't know about it, how does someone have access to dump 80L of chemicals into the main pools? How does that person not know that H2O2 neutralizes Chlorine? Sad.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so apparently lochte and the 3 other swimmers lied about getting robbed. brazil took the other 3 off the plane and have issued warrant for lochte who is back in states

video shows the swimmers returning to camp with their cell phones, watches and wallets

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel bad for the athletes. Competing in the Olympics is such a rare honor and Rio has been a joke. The divers are diving into a cesspool. 80L of Hydrogen Peroxide was dumped into the pools. Even if you buy the excuse that the organizers didn't know about it, how does someone have access to dump 80L of chemicals into the main pools? How does that person not know that H2O2 neutralizes Chlorine? Sad.

This was the Olympics that Obama flew to personally lobby for the US city to get the games. Instead. Green pool water. Toxic outside water. Interesting though how the left leaning media talks about how wonderful Rio has been. Saw Chris Matthews last night gushing over how great Rio has been for these games.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Brazil should never have been the host for the Olympics. A significant portion of the population lives in extreme poverty, with their houses demolished to make room for the new facilities. They can't even get proper clean water for the pools.

Nevermind the doping scandals, Rio has been an all-around nightmare. The IOC is a corrupt organization, just like the FIFA.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Brazil should never have been the host for the Olympics. A significant portion of the population lives in extreme poverty, with their houses demolished to make room for the new facilities. They can't even get proper clean water for the pools.

Nevermind the doping scandals, Rio has been an all-around nightmare. The IOC is a corrupt organization, just like the FIFA.

Brazil has slums but so does every country, even developed ones. They're something like 7th in GDP and population. Their poverty rate per capita isn't all that different from the US, iirc.

The problem is they had a petty crime spike the last few months. But people forget the way Atlanta purged the homeless etc prior to the games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I get that Brazil was a booming country when it was selected and went bust halfway thru the prep for the games. Rio is a spectacular venue. Its just a shame that its not really ready for prime time

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Brazil has slums but so does every country, even developed ones. They're something like 7th in GDP and population. Their poverty rate per capita isn't all that different from the US, iirc.

The problem is they had a petty crime spike the last few months. But people forget the way Atlanta purged the homeless etc prior to the games.

I don't think that other developed countries have as many slums as Brazil. Those slums surround the Olympics facilities, and they are very dangerous for visitors. You can get yourself kidnapped or killed, or even worse if you're a woman. Some athletes got in trouble, the security isn't doing its job.

You also have the sanitary problems. Aside from the green water debacle, there are all sorts of diseases in this region, including the Zika epidemic.

The Brazilian economy fell apart around 2014, their GDP has been on a steady decline since then, losing 3-4% each year. The Rio Olympics came at the worst possible time for Brazil, they just weren't ready.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So... these swimmers might be in a bit of trouble. Taken off their planes, passports confiscated, and video footage shows them breaking into a gas station bathroom and fighting a guard... not being robbed at gun point.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So... these swimmers might be in a bit of trouble. Taken off their planes, passports confiscated, and video footage shows them breaking into a gas station bathroom and fighting a guard... not being robbed at gun point.

Lochte had to know this was coming thus why he bailed before everyone else. Wonder if USA will send him back

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
What's all this Ryan Lochte nonsense? Why did he get into a fight? Just for fun?

He didn't get into a fight. Sunday, or was it Monday, his mom blabbed they he and his swim buddies were robbed at gun point Sunday night. Then Lochte confirmed it on NBC. They didn't initially report it, but once it hit the news Rio authorities got involved. He said/he said stuff went back and forth and Lochte has changed a bit of his story, but still stands behind his claim they were robbed at gun point. Lochte was schedule to leave Brazil Tuesday and he did. His 3 swim buddies tried to leave Wednesday or Thursday but a Judge ordered their passports seized so they couldn't leave the country in order to answer questions.

Then a video turns up from the Gas station they said they were robbed at. It shows Lochte and his swim buddies going down a hallway to take a piss, then they come out. Then another camera shows them getting into their taxi. Before they could leave some guy off camera makes them get out of the taxi and you see the 4 get out with their hands up. Then another camera shows them sitting on the ground with their hands up and thats it. Now the manager of the gas station said Lochte and his swim buddies kicked open a bathroom door and pissed in the hallway outside the bathroom and the security guard at the gas station made them give him money to fix damages.

Like I said, he said/he said. I saw the video(s). You don't see them kick open a door, or piss in a hallway, but you can also see that it is a possibility. What you can see is Lochte and his swim buddies exit the Taxi and sit on the ground with their hands up. People don't usually do that unless a gun is involved, IMO. I suppose the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He didn't get into a fight. Sunday, or was it Monday, his mom blabbed they he and his swim buddies were robbed at gun point Sunday night. Then Lochte confirmed it on NBC. They didn't initially report it, but once it hit the news Rio authorities got involved. He said/he said stuff went back and forth and Lochte has changed a bit of his story, but still stands behind his claim they were robbed at gun point. Lochte was schedule to leave Brazil Tuesday and he did. His 3 swim buddies tried to leave Wednesday or Thursday but a Judge ordered their passports seized so they couldn't leave the country in order to answer questions.

Then a video turns up from the Gas station they said they were robbed at. It shows Lochte and his swim buddies going down a hallway to take a piss, then they come out. Then another camera shows them getting into their taxi. Before they could leave some guy off camera makes them get out of the taxi and you see the 4 get out with their hands up. Then another camera shows them sitting on the ground with their hands up and thats it. Now the manager of the gas station said Lochte and his swim buddies kicked open a bathroom door and pissed in the hallway outside the bathroom and the security guard at the gas station made them give him money to fix damages.

Like I said, he said/he said. I saw the video(s). You don't see them kick open a door, or piss in a hallway, but you can also see that it is a possibility. What you can see is Lochte and his swim buddies exit the Taxi and sit on the ground with their hands up. People don't usually do that unless a gun is involved, IMO. I suppose the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Okay, thanks for the info. There are still a few things from that story that don't make sense to me. Why were they pissing in the hallway outside the bathroom? Were they drunk or something? What did the security guard and the manager of the gas station say about this story?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Okay, thanks for the info. There are still a few things from that story that don't make sense to me. Why were they pissing in the hallway outside the bathroom? Were they drunk or something? What did the security guard and the manager of the gas station say about this story?

Yes alcohol was involved. Lochte and friends say they were robbed at gun point. Gas Station Manger says Lochte and friends damaged property and his security guard made, most likely with a gun, Lochte and friends pay for the damages.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yes alcohol was involved. Lochte and friends say they were robbed at gun point. Gas Station Manger says Lochte and friends damaged property and his security guard made, most likely with a gun, Lochte and friends pay for the damages.

Okay, now it makes sense. I read Lochte's version of the story, and I can tell you this: he's not very good at lying. There are quite a few contradictions in his story. Some details might be true, but the story as whole is not exact.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ryan Lochte finally did it: he has overshadowed Michael Phelps at the Olympics.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Okay, now it makes sense. I read Lochte's version of the story, and I can tell you this: he's not very good at lying. There are quite a few contradictions in his story. Some details might be true, but the story as whole is not exact.

Lochte has said he and his buddies didn't report it to the police because they didn't want to get in trouble. That sounds shady because what would they get in trouble for? Being out late and drunk? Their Olympics were over so that doesn't make any sense. Unless they did something like break down a door and piss all over a hallway? :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad