Speculation: Summer 2018 off season roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Cap space looks good, but only for one season. Before DW takes on a high salary UFA or two, he needs to figure out Pavelski's and Couture's next contract.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Star striker Jannik Hansen's ice hockey future is uncertain.

"I'm completely excluded that I'm playing in San Jose Sharks after this NHL season, which formally ended for the club when we lost the quarterfinals of the Stanley Cup last year," says Jannik Hansen to BT's released World Cup reporter during the ongoing World Cup final in Herning.

"In fact, I do not want to get back to the club. They will continue in the next season with the same coach loss as in this and as they no longer look my way there is no need to continue in the club. I have not played very much lately. And I do not feel like it should go on. I feel, I still have something to offer. Therefore, there is nothing else to do for me than to see what other options are, "says Jannik Hansen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cap space looks good, but only for one season. Before DW takes on a high salary UFA or two, he needs to figure out Pavelski's and Couture's next contract.

I don't think he does. Neither Pavelski nor Couture will be getting a substantial raise in their next contract. Pavs shouldn't even be re-signed and Couture should only see a one mil raise at the most. And Tavares is a much higher priority than either of them.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I don't think he does. Neither Pavelski nor Couture will be getting a substantial raise in their next contract. Pavs shouldn't even be re-signed and Couture should only see a one mil raise at the most. And Tavares is a much higher priority than either of them.

Agreed, DW is a proven big game hunter and knows guys like Tavares and Erik Karlsson rarely become available and will most likely make both a priority heading into the draft/FA.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
"In fact, I do not want to get back to the club. They will continue in the next season with the same coach loss as in this and as they no longer look my way there is no need to continue in the club. I have not played very much lately. And I do not feel like it should go on. I feel, I still have something to offer. Therefore, there is nothing else to do for me than to see what other options are, "says Jannik Hansen.

giphy.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Love the Armchair portion of Capfriendly. Signed Tavares for 7 years, 77 million. Moved Karlsson and a 2nd for Gardiner. Moved Dillon to Philly for a 2nd. Moved DeMelo to Washington for a 4th. lol Traded Tierney for Faulk. Moved Boedker to Arizona for a 2nd.

Meier-Tavares-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Labanc
Balcers-Thornton-Pavelski
Sorensen-Fehr-Goodrow
Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Gardiner-Braun
Ryan-Faulk

Way too much movement but I can have a moderate dream. lol

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Love the Armchair portion of Capfriendly. Signed Tavares for 7 years, 77 million. Moved Karlsson and a 2nd for Gardiner. Moved Dillon to Philly for a 2nd. Moved DeMelo to Washington for a 4th. lol Traded Tierney for Faulk. Moved Boedker to Arizona for a 2nd.

Meier-Tavares-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Fehr-Goodrow
Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Gardiner-Braun
Ryan-Faulk

Main critique from me is Tierney straight up for Faulk is a pipe dream considering one is a decent 3C and the other is like a 3D at worst. It's probably all doable otherwise. Not sure about our defense getting that kind of value

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Meier-Tavares-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Fehr-Goodrow
Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Gardiner-Braun
Ryan-Faulk

You would probably need to add a first to Tierney if not more lol. Faulk might fetch #10 from Edmonton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Main critique from me is Tierney straight up for Faulk is a pipe dream considering one is a decent 3C and the other is like a 3D at worst. It's probably all doable otherwise. Not sure about our defense getting that kind of value

You would probably need to add a first to Tierney if not more lol. Faulk might fetch #10 from Edmonton.

Don't come at me with your likely legitimate criticisms. I want to dream moderately, damn it!

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Kurz on Reddit:

“Yeah, Hansen was just in DeBoer's doghouse all season long. That's something I'll have to look into a bit further, but it was pretty clear there was a rift there.

As for Heed - he's a pending UFA in 2019, and if I'm in his shoes, I'd be pretty ticked off I didn't get in more games down the stretch. I could see a situation where his agent is looking for a trade to a team that will give him more of a chance.

"Virtually guaranteed" is a bit of a strong term, but I'd say a Martin buyout is definitely on the table. My belief is Martin is ready to move on, too.

Well first and foremost, I believe Bob when he reports something. Still, I have a hard time seeing Karlsson and Brent Burns on the same blue line, especially with Karlsson needing a new contract after the 2018-19 season. Unless something really crazy happens - like, say, a three-way trade in which the Sharks deal Burns and replace him with Karlsson - I'm skeptical of the Sharks truly being in the mix for him this summer.”

Interesting to hear his honesty regarding DeBoer and Hansen.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Categorically Pavelski shouldn’t resigned? That’s a hot take. Like, not even for a team friendly deal?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Categorically Pavelski shouldn’t resigned? That’s a hot take. Like, not even for a team friendly deal?

That’s just not realistic. The problem with the vast majority of NHL GMs is that they give players contracts that reflect their past play, not their future. Vlasic is a great example: he was very, very underpaid on his previous contract. Now, he’s getting paid for his performance over the time covered by that contract. This type of behavior leads to gross overpayments and cap problems. And the bigger problem is you can’t even blame Wilson because it’s Vlasic who will have the high ground when he says “pay me what I’ve earned”.

Unless Pavelski really shits the bed next season (less than a 50 point pace, IMO), he’s getting a raise. It’s just how the NHL works.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That’s just not realistic. The problem with the vast majority of NHL GMs is that they give players contracts that reflect their past play, not their future. Vlasic is a great example: he was very, very underpaid on his previous contract. Now, he’s getting paid for his performance over the time covered by that contract. This type of behavior leads to gross overpayments and cap problems. And the bigger problem is you can’t even blame Wilson because it’s Vlasic who will have the high ground when he says “pay me what I’ve earned”.

Unless Pavelski really ****s the bed next season (less than a 50 point pace, IMO), he’s getting a raise. It’s just how the NHL works.

That pavelski 50 point thing may just happen if wilson can't find a way to keep thornton on the team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Nope. I know it's not realistic but Pavelski at 35 and older is only going to get slower and is only going to be easier to neutralize when the team needs to get faster up front. This isn't Thornton or Marleau at 35 and older. Pavelski doesn't have the same physical traits that will keep him as effective, imo. That money can be more effectively used elsewhere.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Nope. I know it's not realistic but Pavelski at 35 and older is only going to get slower and is only going to be easier to neutralize when the team needs to get faster up front. This isn't Thornton or Marleau at 35 and older. Pavelski doesn't have the same physical traits that will keep him as effective, imo. That money can be more effectively used elsewhere.

So...unconditionally you want Pavelski off the team after this year?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Let’s not act like Pavelski didn’t have 33 points in 36 games after Thornton got injured.

The thing about Pavelski is that he has always been the guy to torch weaker teams and then struggle against the NHL’s true elite. I realize that describes just about every player in the NHL, but I think Pavelski’s struggles against top teams and top players are a bit more pronounced than those of most star players.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
If they have burned the Heed bridge it's pretty f***ing stupid. DeMelo is trash and will continue to play with both Martin and Heed gone (potentially).

Wilson should be canned if the defense is Ryan - Burns; Vlasic - Braun; Dillon - DeMelo next season. Don't give a damn what advanced stats or anything else says, that defense sucks and the Powerplay will suck ass if LaBanc, Burns, and Vlasic are the goddamn quarterbacks...

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
If they have burned the Heed bridge it's pretty ****ing stupid. DeMelo is trash and will continue to play with both Martin and Heed gone (potentially).

Wilson should be canned if the defense is Ryan - Burns; Vlasic - Braun; Dillon - DeMelo next season. Don't give a damn what advanced stats or anything else says, that defense sucks and the Powerplay will suck ass if LaBanc, Burns, and Vlasic are the goddamn quarterbacks...

I agree. If Heed and Ryan sit out again like they did this year with Braun, Dillon, and Demelo as starters, we are going to end the way we did this year or worse.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If we could get Karlsson, that would be fantastic, but like Tavares, I doubt it will happen. Our two biggest needs are partners for Burns and Vlasic. Assuming we resign Kane, our forward core should be set for the next few years. We’ll keep our ear towards the market for a true 1c, but we have enough center depth in the interim.

Kane - Jumbo - Pavelski
Hertl - Couture - Labanc
Timo - Tierney - Donskoi
Boedker - Goodrow - Karlsson
Sorenson/Balcers

Enstrom - Burns
Vlasic - Burns
Dillion - DeMelo
Ryan

Buyout Martin. Trade Heed.

That’s how I see next season shaping up. If you can add Tavares or Karlsson, absolutely, but we don’t have the pieces for either of those. Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns and Jones are the core of this team. All are untouchable. No combination of Tierney, Dell, and Braun are going to bring you back world class athletes.

I would not be shocked to see us move a roster player to move up in the draft this year. I think a team like the Islanders, if they do resign Tavares, is going to be looking to move one of their picks for some help in this upcoming season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So...unconditionally you want Pavelski off the team after this year?

Based on how he's performed in the last four playoff series to go with his age, skills, and what he's likely to ask for, yeah. Pavelski has five goals in the last 22 playoff games. He's only been able to put a point on the board in eight of those games. For a top player on this team that would probably get 7 million on his next contract, that's not good enough. Pavs is a one-zone player now and when his production slips, he is pretty much useless.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The thing about Pavelski is that he has always been the guy to torch weaker teams and then struggle against the NHL’s true elite. I realize that describes just about every player in the NHL, but I think Pavelski’s struggles against top teams and top players are a bit more pronounced than those of most star players.

I was simply responding to Barrie’s claim that Pavelski might not hit 50 points without Thornton. That’s all. I was the original “trade Pavelski” proponent, since I’ve always felt that he’s it as good as his counting stats would suggest. You don’t need to tell me.

The thing about Pavelski is that I don’t think it’s fair to judge him by his past four playoff series. Three of those series, he was missing a healthy Joe Thornton. The other was against the best team since at least the 2010 Hawks while missing Hertl.

In regards to beating up on bad teams, he had several multi-point games after Thornton went down and a bunch of pointless games. The multi-point games were against Vegas, Edmonton, Dallas, Edmonton again, Chicago, Detroit, and Vegas again. Went notably pointless in games against Nashville x2, St. Louis x2, Washington, and Minnesota. But I think that was more of a team problem than just Pavelski per se. Of Kane’s 14 points as a Shark, only two came against a playoff team (a goal and and assist against Columbus).

On the other hand, Couture scored pretty well against playoff teams. During that span he scored against Vegas, Jersey, Nashville, and Colorado, which is actually most of the playoff teams we played. Looking at his game log from last year, he scored pretty regularly against teams like Winnipeg, LA, Anaheim, and Nashville. He’s really the only guy you could say that about; Hertl beat up on the Pacific, especially the Canadian teams.

Keeping Couture is much more of a priority than Pavelski, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad