Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I thought Wolves did well after two. Wolves missing Giroux and Konyen this stretch not helping things, also Coughlin. We need full roster to compete against good teams, so don't have to overplay lines. I thought Vandenberg had a good game, I felt our D struggling at points of the game with Oshawa strong forecheck, need to keep simple and be more physical. Giving up the PS turned the momentum of game, bad play by Anania, had no choice to take it.

Oshawa played simple game and executed well, goaltending was good also. Wolves need other lines contributing more, some quality chances not executing. We play them a few more times before regular season ends, will see how that plays out, be nice to have our full roster.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Just a few questions over the past two nights!
Where is Josh Hoover at after we did not see him in the Sarnia line up?
Also why was Chucky the back up tonight? Is Vondras hurt?
Hoover has had injury issues past few seasons. Don't think he's played a game for Sarnia this season

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Just a few questions over the past two nights!
Where is Josh Hoover at after we did not see him in the Sarnia line up?
Also why was Chucky the back up tonight? Is Vondras hurt?
don't think Hoover on Sarnia this year. I'm thinking will see Krawchuck again, seeing that he is backup tonight. Vondras was dresssed as backup yesterday so dont think injured.

Wolves fan

Nov 7, 2021
Just wondering if theres an award for the player that keeps the puck on their stick the longest before someone steals it. Is there something i dont know of. Dvorski and Musty. 1st and 2nd. Lol. Where was Musty tonight???? 5 points last night. Oshawa is the team to beat in the east. Ken when are you gonna reunite Delic and Goyette together for good. We could have 2 good lines. The 3 stars don’t shine on the same line no more. This is the year Paps and Ken. Don’t screw it up

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I was yelling from the stands! They had at least two opportunities to get off before the goal was scored.......
They did not listen....
Were they applying enough pressure to keep Oshawa from changing lines?

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I was yelling from the stands! They had at least two opportunities to get off before the goal was scored.......
They did not listen....
When shifts are extended by first line, all lines then stretch out there TOI. We’ve seen this before. At least on 2 occasions I saw Dvorsky change only to have his line mates remain on the ice for another 40 seconds. Our puck management was not good, we struggled on zone exits from our own end. We left slot wide open at times. I saw #27 stick handle around his own player in the third. Less handling, more passing and way more shooting on net required to win against good teams. Less East/West hockey and more North/South hockey needed.
At one point when we circled the net once again and circled the perimeter I asked myself out loud, “why can’t we bring pucks to the net Hard, crash and bang”. You know good old ugly goals. I’m getting tired waiting for Harlem Globe trotter goals.
Our talent easily matches the Gens and we have more winning experience. However, a better team beat less than good individual and selfish play last night.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Were they applying enough pressure to keep Oshawa from changing lines?
If we're all talking about the same shift, the puck went down to the Wolves end of the ice twice.
Musty and Goyette just circled and stayed out there.
After two failed rushes they eventually got hemmed in their own zone, dead tired, standing around.
Oshawa changed once for sure, possibly twice.
Already playing with a short bench, shifts need to be shorter, not longer.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
When shifts are extended by first line, all lines then stretch out there TOI. We’ve seen this before. At least on 2 occasions I saw Dvorsky change only to have his line mates remain on the ice for another 40 seconds. Our puck management was not good, we struggled on zone exits from our own end. We left slot wide open at times. I saw #27 stick handle around his own player in the third. Less handling, more passing and way more shooting on net required to win against good teams. Less East/West hockey and more North/South hockey needed.
At one point when we circled the net once again and circled the perimeter I asked myself out loud, “why can’t we bring pucks to the net Hard, crash and bang”. You know good old ugly goals. I’m getting tired waiting for Harlem Globe trotter goals.
Our talent easily matches the Gens and we have more winning experience. However, a better team beat less than good individual and selfish play last night.
You might be complaining about the wrong player. Go to the net hard, crash and bang, north-south ...remove Dvorsky from the top line. The tap-in goals by the player going to the net hard are by Goyette and Musty. I've seen games that Musty hit more than Dvorsky and Goyette do in a month.
You might appreciate something like this;
Musty-Villeneuve-Goyette
Walton-Delic-McCallum
Giroux-Dvorsky-Konyen

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
You might be complaining about the wrong player. Go to the net hard, crash and bang, north-south ...remove Dvorsky from the top line. The tap-in goals by the player going to the net hard are by Goyette and Musty. I've seen games that Musty hit more than Dvorsky and Goyette do in a month.
Musty-Villeneuve-Goyette
Walton-Delic-McCallum
Giroux-Dvorsky-Konyen
Not sure Goyette and Musty’s style of play mesh well together. To be clear, I don’t expect #88,51 or 27 to be the next version of Washington Capitals Wilson, I’d just like to see more shots and rebound goals and a way less fancy passing. Shift should be .45secs to 1 min max. They will still get their 22 plus mins/game but gotta play more of a team game.

Reactions: justawolfan

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We were beat by a better team who are built for a long run, right now the three top teams in the east are Oshawa, Branford and Sudbury and that is probably how it will finish. Any coach is quite aware if you can limit the wolves top line to three goals or less you stand a very good chance of beating them. Ruling out any major upsets I see Oshawa beating Branford in the final and losing to London.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Musty-Villeneuve-Goyette
Walton-Delic-McCallum
Giroux-Dvorsky-Konyen
You cannot use Musty and hit in the same sentence. Definitely not!!! You can use lazy penalty and Musty in the same sentence though. Just to be clear.

WJ

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
We were beat by a better team who are built for a long run, right now the three top teams in the east are Oshawa, Branford and Sudbury and that is probably how it will finish. Any coach is quite aware if you can limit the wolves top line to three goals or less you stand a very good chance of beating them. Ruling out any major upsets I see Oshawa beating Branford in the final and losing to London.
I can see this scenario; however, I hold out hope for our Wolfers. Last year the Pete’s were a mess heading into the playoffs and then they started playing for each other. No egos. No scoring race or personal stats. The priority was every player pulling on the same rope to win an OHL Championship. That is what is required to win. If our team adopts , or can adopt this approach I still believe we have the talent to win the Conference.

Reactions: AKADonovan

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
You'd think based on certain posters in this thread Musty is the only player on the team. Every loss is his fault. Hell people have blamed him for losses earlier this year when he was hurt and did not even play, accusing him of faking an injury. Then when he goes out and has a big game, he's still a problem because he *gasp* celebrated a hat trick goal.

Almost every problem exists elsewhere on the roster as well, but for some reason, it seems Musty is the only one certain people thing have these problems.

Bad penalties? Definitely don't exist anywhere else on the roster, we've definitely not had a player suspended for spearing, no one aside from Musty has ever been suspended for a slewfoot. We've definitely not been put on a 5 minute PK in the last 24 hours because of a Wolves player being reckless with their stick as well.

Celebrating? Villenuve, one of my favorites on the team would definitely never do anything of the such. Wait, no, he's taunted the other teams bench multiple times this year, even been penalized for it once.

Constant giveaways, I would hope we could all at least agree, this entire roster struggles to string two passes together in a row. Atleast Goyette and Musty can create scoring chances. they're two of the six players in the OHL averaging over an assist per game. Pretty impressive for a guy I've been told never passes the puck.

I guess what I'm saying, is this team flawed? Obviously. But reading this thread, you'd think these problems only exist on 1-2 players. Many of these problems come back to a lack of coaching(or bad coaching, take your pick)

Hopefully the wolves can figure it out and put a good run together, but ultimately if they fall short I think the blame needs to fall on the adults in the room. You've got the 1st(tied), 4th, 7th ranked players in points per game. 4 total player sat a point per game or higher pace, another 5 at a 50+ full season pace. While we've seen some struggles with the D this year, ultimately they have 6 d-men who were good enough that NHL teams wanted to see in both rookie camps and training camps.

If this team fails, you need to remove every staff member involved with the on-ice product, it's not acceptable for the level of talent.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We were handed a gift the best player in the OHL Davorsky and chose not to go all in at the deadline by not addressing our biggest hole and freeing up a potential import upgrade. You get what you put in I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
You'd think based on certain posters in this thread Musty is the only player on the team. Every loss is his fault. Hell people have blamed him for losses earlier this year when he was hurt and did not even play, accusing him of faking an injury. Then when he goes out and has a big game, he's still a problem because he *gasp* celebrated a hat trick goal.

Almost every problem exists elsewhere on the roster as well, but for some reason, it seems Musty is the only one certain people thing have these problems.

Bad penalties? Definitely don't exist anywhere else on the roster, we've definitely not had a player suspended for spearing, no one aside from Musty has ever been suspended for a slewfoot. We've definitely not been put on a 5 minute PK in the last 24 hours because of a Wolves player being reckless with their stick as well.

Celebrating? Villenuve, one of my favorites on the team would definitely never do anything of the such. Wait, no, he's taunted the other teams bench multiple times this year, even been penalized for it once.

Constant giveaways, I would hope we could all at least agree, this entire roster struggles to string two passes together in a row. Atleast Goyette and Musty can create scoring chances. they're two of the six players in the OHL averaging over an assist per game. Pretty impressive for a guy I've been told never passes the puck.

I guess what I'm saying, is this team flawed? Obviously. But reading this thread, you'd think these problems only exist on 1-2 players. Many of these problems come back to a lack of coaching(or bad coaching, take your pick)

Hopefully the wolves can figure it out and put a good run together, but ultimately if they fall short I think the blame needs to fall on the adults in the room. You've got the 1st(tied), 4th, 7th ranked players in points per game. 4 total player sat a point per game or higher pace, another 5 at a 50+ full season pace. While we've seen some struggles with the D this year, ultimately they have 6 d-men who were good enough that NHL teams wanted to see in both rookie camps and training camps.

If this team fails, you need to remove every staff member involved with the on-ice product, it's not acceptable for the level of talent.
Wolves have lost 3 of 4 games with Musty back into the line up. He is a big problem regardless of his hatty, and open ice talent. 5 on 5 he is one of the worst. Not sure why because I was really hoping for him to take it to the next level after being drafted in the first round of the NHL. Sorry to say he’s a selfish player. That’s not just me on these boards saying it. Around the rink the feeling is mutual among many hockey people. Take it for what’s it worth. We all can’t be wrong. And yes the expectations for him should be higher than a third or fourth line player.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not sure Goyette and Musty’s style of play mesh well together. To be clear, I don’t expect #88,51 or 27 to be the next version of Washington Capitals Wilson, I’d just like to see more shots and rebound goals and a way less fancy passing. Shift should be .45secs to 1 min max. They will still get their 22 plus mins/game but gotta play more of a team game.
They're not ideal line-mates, but Goyette and Musty can probably produce with any players at the major jr level.
Though it likely won't happen, I've wanted to see Musty-Villeneuve-McCallum from the start.

We were handed a gift the best player in the OHL Davorsky and chose not to go all in at the deadline by not addressing our biggest hole and freeing up a potential import upgrade. You get what you put in I guess.
possibly the most skilled blue line in, definitely not the best hockey player.
Watch a few Knights games to get an appreciation for Cowan; that's a hockey player. Dickinson for 17 is incredible.

Reactions: djscooter

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
So what a kick in the nuts regarding playoff tickets. In the past we used to get 1st 2 games free, that was taken away. We use to have the benefit of paying a mininal price increase for round two, but that price would hold no future increase for any additional rounds. Now that privelage has been removed aswell. So what real benefit is their to being a season ticket holder? When the fairweather fans who didnt support the team all year pay the exact same fees as us loyal season ticket holders and true and loyal fans who forked out hundreds or in some cases over a thousand dollars in operating capital to the millionaire owner. Chatted with a friend who did the math and said he will pay just as much for the playoffs as it cost him for his season ticket. I gave to go now and put some ice on the nut sack.

So what a kick in the nuts regarding playoff tickets. In the past we used to get 1st 2 games free, that was taken away. We use to have the benefit of paying a mininal price increase for round two, but that price would hold no future increase for any additional rounds. Now that privelage has been removed aswell. So what real benefit is their to being a season ticket holder? When the fairweather fans who didnt support the team all year pay the exact same fees as us loyal season ticket holders and true and loyal fans who forked out hundreds or in some cases over a thousand dollars in operating capital to the millionaire owner. Chatted with a friend who did the math and said he will pay just as much for the playoffs as it cost him for his season ticket. I have to go now and put some ice on the nut sack

Reactions: djscooter

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Wolves have lost 3 of 4 games with Musty back into the line up. He is a big problem regardless of his hatty, and open ice talent. 5 on 5 he is one of the worst. Not sure why because I was really hoping for him to take it to the next level after being drafted in the first round of the NHL. Sorry to say he’s a selfish player. That’s not just me on these boards saying it. Around the rink the feeling is mutual among many hockey people. Take it for what’s it worth. We all can’t be wrong. And yes the expectations for him should be higher than a third or fourth line player.

WJ
The worst part of his selfishness, for me, is that he's irresponsible with the puck the majority of the time. His blind, backhanded passes into a place he thinks should be occupied by a teammate are really game altering. There are games when he'll do his best to get back into the play and chase guys but these mistakes really show his lack of team play. He often seems uninterested but shows how he can elevate his game at times. Maybe he's just a young guy that needs to grow up but it hurts the team a lot of the time. I don't see him playing anywhere but in the OHL next season and until things change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolves fan

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
So what a kick in the nuts regarding playoff tickets. In the past we used to get 1st 2 games free, that was taken away. We use to have the benefit of paying a mininal price increase for round two, but that price would hold no future increase for any additional rounds. Now that privelage has been removed aswell. So what real benefit is their to being a season ticket holder? When the fairweather fans who didnt support the team all year pay the exact same fees as us loyal season ticket holders and true and loyal fans who forked out hundreds or in some cases over a thousand dollars in operating capital to the millionaire owner. Chatted with a friend who did the math and said he will pay just as much for the playoffs as it cost him for his season ticket. I gave to go now and put some ice on the nut sack.

So what a kick in the nuts regarding playoff tickets. In the past we used to get 1st 2 games free, that was taken away. We use to have the benefit of paying a mininal price increase for round two, but that price would hold no future increase for any additional rounds. Now that privelage has been removed aswell. So what real benefit is their to being a season ticket holder? When the fairweather fans who didnt support the team all year pay the exact same fees as us loyal season ticket holders and true and loyal fans who forked out hundreds or in some cases over a thousand dollars in operating capital to the millionaire owner. Chatted with a friend who did the math and said he will pay just as much for the playoffs as it cost him for his season ticket. I have to go now and put some ice on the nut sack

Where did you see the information regarding playoff tickets

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The worst part of his selfishness, for me, is that he's irresponsible with the puck the majority of the time. His blind, backhanded passes into a place he thinks should be occupied by a teammate are really game altering. There are games when he'll do his best to get back into the play and chase guys but these mistakes really show his lack of team play. He often seems uninterested but shows how he can elevate his game at times. Maybe he's just a young guy that needs to grow up but it hurts the team a lot of the time. I don't seem him playing anywhere but in the OHL next season and until things change.
He'll be back and moved at the deadline along with Mania. They're connected. The best the wolves can do with with Musty until then is give him the C in hopes it keeps him engaged until moved. Imo.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018

This !!!!!! Very good post

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018

WJ
Musty like every other player on this team is still developing their game...The player(s) this board complain most about are the top producers on the team...doesn't make sense. At this level for 99 percent of the players in this league who are the top players on their team...it is expected that the puck is on their stick the most...this equates to more points...but it also inevitably leads to more mistakes... Musty while being one of the top producing players on the roster is also one of the youngest...let the kid develop.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Musty like every other player on this team is still developing their game...The player(s) this board complain most about are the top producers on the team...doesn't make sense. At this level for 99 percent of the players in this league who are the top players on their team...it is expected that the puck is on their stick the most...this equates to more points...but it also inevitably leads to more mistakes... Musty while being one of the top producing players on the roster is also one of the youngest...let the kid develop.
Very good that you can offer your opinion in this discussion. An opinion should not be viewed as a negative or positive view of the team necessarily. That's what's great about these forums; fan comments and discussions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad