Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Curious how you all feel about Van Vliet after three games. I know everyone seemed to have a rough one yesterday, but interested on the general feeling.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Curious how you all feel about Van Vliet after three games. I know everyone seemed to have a rough one yesterday, but interested on the general feeling.

I feel he is a good acquisition stay at home defence man, feel we overpaid with having to surrender Protz, the picks we gave up should have sufficed. I did noticed he doesn't have much of a shot it looks from the point, tries to get pucks on net but with not enough pace. Seems like a bright kid with leadership, and has playoff experience Wolves looking for.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
I think he’s a good addition on the D core. The problem is the structure its not normal that when I look at a guy like Collins I see the same problems he had 2 years ago. Where’s the progression on any Dman ? With the right coach this team could be unbeatable. Paps just doesn’t have the courage to go get a real coach that will make everyone accountable…

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I think he’s a good addition on the D core. The problem is the structure its not normal that when I look at a guy like Collins I see the same problems he had 2 years ago. Where’s the progression on any Dman ? With the right coach this team could be unbeatable. Paps just doesn’t have the courage to go get a real coach that will make everyone accountable…
I would say it’s more Dario not having the courage to go out and get a real GM this could change if this season goes where I believe it will God forbid.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Agreed this team since the season started have added,

DeAngelios
Dvorsky
Vandenberg
Signoretti
McCoy
Giroux
VanVliet

No reason for this coaching staff to get this team to play hard game in game out. Too many times they don't come out of the gate with jump. And the defence and bench management has been horrid.

I have no faith in this coaching staff. As far as I'm concerned everyone excluding Gauveraux should be let go. They have not developed some of these players. The same mistakes are being made. Then the brutal in game decision making is mind blowing. This is on the them not the GM.

Paps has done what most GM's would do in his deals. Some slight overpayments and some steals. I have no real complaints. Maybe he could have gotten another heavier player in a deal with the playoff type game. But we don't know what discussions he had with other teams. It does take two to deal!

But one move he can make is the coaching. If they are eliminated in the first round with this group then obviously he will need to answer for not making a coaching change when most people know that this staff has been out coached plenty throughout the season. Who knows though maybe with Dunc still on the books his hands could be tied.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I would say it’s more Dario not having the courage to go out and get a real GM this could change if this season goes where I believe it will God forbid.
If this season is not a success, there should be a mass exodus of season ticket holders.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

DeAngelios
Dvorsky
Vandenberg
Signoretti
McCoy
Giroux
VanVliet

No reason for this coaching staff to get this team to play hard game in game out. Too many times they don't come out of the gate with jump. And the defence and bench management has been horrid.

I have no faith in this coaching staff. As far as I'm concerned everyone excluding Gauveraux should be let go. They have not developed some of these players. The same mistakes are being made. Then the brutal in game decision making is mind blowing. This is on the them not the GM.

Paps has done what most GM's would do in his deals. Some slight overpayments and some steals. I have no real complaints. Maybe he could have gotten another heavier player in a deal with the playoff type game. But we don't know what discussions he had with other teams. It does take two to deal!

But one move he can make is the coaching. If they are eliminated in the first round with this group then obviously he will need to answer for not making a coaching change when most people know that this staff has been out coached plenty throughout the season. Who knows though maybe with Dunc still on the books his hands could be tied.

WJ

First round? Considering the east is relatively weak this season and the wolves assets, I think the wolves need to get to at least game 6 or 7 of the conference final or it’s a big fail for everyone involved top to bottom.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
First round? Considering the east is relatively weak this season and the wolves assets, I think the wolves need to get to at least game 6 or 7 of the conference final or it’s a big fail for everyone involved top to bottom.
Anything short of a run to the finals is a failure given what they came into the season with and how they were gifted Dvorsky.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Weak!!! North Bay is far from weak. Ottawa is far from weak, Brantford is far from weak, Mississauga is far from weak, and something can be said about how Oshawa has been playing. Maybe all those other teams felt we were not that superior and felt they had just as good a chance to get to the conference finals. All those teams have something we don't have. Two that come to mind are solid goaltending a true #1 and coaching. Then some have the best offensive dmen and toughest D. We are not cake walking anyone. It will take a full team effort and buy in to get there. To be seen!!!

WJ

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Weak!!! North Bay is far from weak. Ottawa is far from weak, Brantford is far from weak, Mississauga is far from weak, and something can be said about how Oshawa has been playing. Maybe all those other teams felt we were not that superior and felt they had just as good a chance to get to the conference finals. All those teams have something we don't have. Two that come to mind are solid goaltending a true #1 and coaching. Then some have the best offensive dmen and toughest D. We are not cake walking anyone. It will take a full team effort and buy in to get there. To be seen!!!

WJ
💯

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
If this season is not a success, there should be a mass exodus of season ticket holders.
It’s so hard for me to stay away but I see your point. Especially if there isnt a major overhaul. We can only take so much false hope.
I was watching Saginaw last night along with North Bay and throw in London, Kitchener. and we are nowhere near that level in terms of structure, goaltending etc.

I really don’t see it at all, at this point anyway.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
It’s so hard for me to stay away but I see your point. Especially if there isnt a major overhaul. We can only take so much false hope.
I was watching Saginaw last night along with North Bay and throw in London, Kitchener. and we are nowhere near that level in terms of structure, goaltending etc.

I really don’t see it at all, at this point anyway.
As is tradition, I really hope I'm wrong, but these just is feeling more and more like just another disappointment of a season. We all want to see the Wolves succeed, but they have such a huge history of failure and mediocrity at this point that it is hard to imagine anything else.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

WJ

Yeah, I think the east is relatively weak. Though Ottawa took a risk sacrificing Donoso to improve OA skaters, I believe that Sudbury, NB, and Ottawa all got quite a bit better at the deadline; and, I believe they can compete with any team in the west. The rest of the conference would be in the bottom half if in the west imo.

I agree, it will take a (full team) effort and buy-in for the wolves to get there.

Reactions: djscooter

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

DeAngelios
Dvorsky
Vandenberg
Signoretti
McCoy
Giroux
VanVliet

WJ
I don't even know what his role is -Gauveraux

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015

DeAngelios
Dvorsky
Vandenberg
Signoretti
McCoy
Giroux
VanVliet

WJ
If we're out in the first round, Everybody not named Zulich has to go.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Sudbury is proving it’s not a serious franchise that is here to win championships and really doesn’t deserve the passionate fans it has. It’s so shortsighted. Wouldn’t you want to build your brand and become a fabric of the city, that the community can be proud of?

Nope…. Go cheap on coaching , no obvious long term plan, $5 Wolves brew…

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Very valid comments and yes, the GM is a concern and has been but I feel like at this stage, while dealing with these "kids", the coaching staff is the most important management position for a team. It seems to me that player development has been lacking in Sudbury since the last arguably good coaching staff we've had and before that as well. I'm referring to the Foligno years when I believe there was more of a hands-on development of our players. We need to identify flaws in the coaching staff and correct this moving forward. Will that happen?

Reactions: dirty12

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Unfortunately the owner has no idea how hockey operations work to be successful and continues to have faith in a GM who is content to sit on the fence and not see how close we were to be heavy favorites to win the conference this year. Just look at the moves North Bay made at the deadline. Our GM still did not see how weak our goal tending is and did not have sense to address it. Do you not think this effects the players when they work their butts off only to be rewarded by a continuous reign of soft goals.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Unfortunately the owner has no idea how hockey operations work to be successful and continues to have faith in a GM who is content to sit on the fence and not see how close we were to be heavy favorites to win the conference this year. Just look at the moves North Bay made at the deadline. Our GM still did not see how weak our goal tending is and did not have sense to address it. Do you not think this effects the players when they work their butts off only to be rewarded by a continuous reign of soft goals.
I agree with the reference to this year specifically. I was looking at the overall year-to-year prospect of player development when we look at Collins' lack of development, etc..

There is no doubt that this season is a very good example of GM's lack of fortitude to go all-in or see the big picture for the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad