Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You're the best poster from your team thread. Welcome here anytime.

What happened last season in the playoffs? You had a stacked team right? What about the previous year? I'm not sure what your record was
Yah lost to good ol' London in our first ever 3rd round appearance. Waited 30 years to make it further than RD2 just to watch London hoist a trophy on our logo.

Yr before we lost RD1 to Windsor. We've only made it past round 1 5 times in 31 years.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Yah lost to good ol' London in our first ever 3rd round appearance. Waited 30 years to make it further than RD2 just to watch London hoist a trophy on our logo.

Yr before we lost RD1 to Windsor. We've only made it past round 1 5 times in 31 years.
We feel your pain. I use to really get bothered by loses etc. nomore. I'm more realistic. You just have to be honest with yourself. Stick with your gut and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well I took the night to process the news from yesterday before responding. Like many I’m disappointed because we lose two regular players for a lengthy time as we head towards the playoffs.

I’m not going to say the players shouldn’t have got no consequence for the their actions. They broke a league policy which they are well informed through league wide education throughout the season.

What I am upset about is the leagues length to come to their decision. Not sure of how the process went. Not sure if there was a meeting with the players involved including the Barrie player, families, team representatives, agents and league officials.

As well it appears to me the league has work to do of their own in finding an appropriate balance in handing out consequences with such incidents. I believe they are somewhat old school and just looking at punishment rather than focusing on conflict resolution. This suspension will only increase tension and hostility rather than eliminate any fear or retribution on the Barrie player. If no meeting between the parties had taken place. This would be a perfect opportunity for the players to share the feelings at the time of the on ice incident, their initial reaction, and eventually an apology to the Barrie player. This way the league addresses the incident, has conflict resolution, and then reviews what it an appropriate length for a suspension. This seems pretty heavy handed but then again I don’t know how it all transpired. But judging in the past the OHL is notorious for acting as judge and jury and I doubt they have would have proceeded with any sort of conflict resolution.

These are still kids living away from parents, under pressure and still learning to become better men. They make mistakes. The negative media attention on this alone is really going to impact them more than the suspension.

WJ

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Nice to be included in such talks. Ain't it great?! Never ending disappointment, heartbreak, anger just to trick yourself into believing again in 3 years for the same ending..
I've had a soft spot for the Sting for a while now, When the string picked up Didiomete I started to follow them for the rest of that season, such a fun team between the obvious namein Stamkos, as well as Matt Martin, Mark Katic, and of course the Nikiforov pickup. Some really fun OHL guys to watch.

Reactions: StingUpdates

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Well I took the night to process the news from yesterday before responding. Like many I’m disappointed because we lose two regular players for a lengthy time as we head towards the playoffs.

I’m not going to say the players shouldn’t have got no consequence for the their actions. They broke a league policy which they are well informed through league wide education throughout the season.

What I am upset about is the leagues length to come to their decision. Not sure of how the process went. Not sure if there was a meeting with the players involved including the Barrie player, families, team representatives, agents and league officials.

As well it appears to me the league has work to do of their own in finding an appropriate balance in handing out consequences with such incidents. I believe they are somewhat old school and just looking at punishment rather than focusing on conflict resolution. This suspension will only increase tension and hostility rather than eliminate any fear or retribution on the Barrie player. If no meeting between the parties had taken place. This would be a perfect opportunity for the players to share the feelings at the time of the on ice incident, their initial reaction, and eventually an apology to the Barrie player. This way the league addresses the incident, has conflict resolution, and then reviews what it an appropriate length for a suspension. This seems pretty heavy handed but then again I don’t know how it all transpired. But judging in the past the OHL is notorious for acting as judge and jury and I doubt they have would have proceeded with any sort of conflict resolution.

These are still kids living away from parents, under pressure and still learning to become better men. They make mistakes. The negative media attention on this alone is really going to impact them more than the suspension.

WJ
Sometimes I definitely feel like they use these situations to set a precedence.
I don't think anyone knows what the right suspension is for making threats to hurt someone, or in this case the way it was said it would actually be considered a death threat.
I think because it involved social media it was more severe due to other policy's being broken.

There is also some major inconsistency's with the OHL and how they address these things.
Only about a month ago a Niagara player made a signal to a Kingston player stating " you're effing dead" and was only suspended 3 or 4 games i believe? So if a death threat is only 3-4 games by standard how is it now 15 in this case?

I also think the Sudbury player never actually wanted to "take his head off" but just wanted retribution. -The thing is the Barrie player answered the bell right away after the hit and it should have ended at that point.

The kid on Barrie laid a hard CLEAN hit. I watched it over and over again to see why this was blown into such a big deal by the Sudbury players. -They had a good scrap afterwards and that should have been it.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Sometimes I definitely feel like they use these situations to set a precedence.
I don't think anyone knows what the right suspension is for making threats to hurt someone, or in this case the way it was said it would actually be considered a death threat.
I think because it involved social media it was more severe due to other policy's being broken.

There is also some major inconsistency's with the OHL and how they address these things.
Only about a month ago a Niagara player made a signal to a Kingston player stating " you're effing dead" and was only suspended 3 or 4 games i believe? So if a death threat is only 3-4 games by standard how is it now 15 in this case?

I also think the Sudbury player never actually wanted to "take his head off" but just wanted retribution. -The thing is the Barrie player answered the bell right away after the hit and it should have ended at that point.

The kid on Barrie laid a hard CLEAN hit. I watched it over and over again to see why this was blown into such a big deal by the Sudbury players. -They had a good scrap afterwards and that should have been it.
good points, i feel the Barrie Media should be partly to blame on this, my understanding it showed the hit on twitter with somekind of trolling comment, kind of instigating the matter.

OHL trying to save themselves from any other future legal issues, making it excessive helps in this matter.

I recall Kyle Musselman, it was around the same time as the Todd Bertuzzi incident, he was banned from the OHL after sucker punching Mancari. at the time included a $10 000 fine to the team.

Anyways time to move on can't do much about it, unfortunate this happened.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
good points, i feel the Barrie Media should be partly to blame on this, my understanding it showed the hit on twitter with somekind of trolling comment, kind of instigating the matter.

OHL trying to save themselves from any other future legal issues, making it excessive helps in this matter.

I recall Kyle Musselman, it was around the same time as the Todd Bertuzzi incident, he was banned from the OHL after sucker punching Mancari. at the time included a $10 000 fine to the team.

Anyways time to move on can't do much about it, unfortunate this happened.
Most of the team social media people are kids fresh out of school trying to make a name for themselves getting clicks just trying to learn the industry.
Being butt hurt over a big hit post on Facebook isn't an excuse for their actions though.

I mean you have to be pretty stupid to put a bounty on the head of a kid on another team when there's a kid in the group chat that grew up and played AAA with the kid you are threatening.
Not the brightest move by the 2 Sudbury players.
I can't imagine this has been easy for the kid that had to make a decision to come forward because he thought his childhood best friend was going to be intentionally hurt either.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Nice delete on your post to my post, hum last time i checked Barker and another good player didn't do anything wrong do you understand what the 2 Wolves players did they 100% deserve the suspension.

The irony in this comment… Hounds played 15 games without Barker after he was taken out by a dirty hit… so ya we have played 15 exact games without ( at the time ) OUR BEST player. In that time frame we went 10-4-0-1.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The irony in this comment… Hounds played 15 games without Barker after he was taken out by a dirty hit… so ya we have played 15 exact games without ( at the time ) OUR BEST player. In that time frame we went 10-4-0-1.
Difference between a team with a fake coach and a real coach.

Reactions: HF92

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Most of the team social media people are kids fresh out of school trying to make a name for themselves getting clicks just trying to learn the industry.
Being butt hurt over a big hit post on Facebook isn't an excuse for their actions though.

I mean you have to be pretty stupid to put a bounty on the head of a kid on another team when there's a kid in the group chat that grew up and played AAA with the kid you are threatening.
I can't imagine this has been easy for the kid that had to make a decision to come forward because he thought his childhood best friend was going to be intentionally hurt either.
Or the teammates twin brother that was traded by the wolves. Heck, a poster on this thread took the time to look and found the chat; it could have been anyone reporting the threat

Reactions: justawolfan

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Im going to play devils advocate a bit.

The more I think about it. This could have been a disaster for the team if it wasnt leaked.

With our discipline, what if it wasnt leaked and the team actually followed through on that game Thursday and took out Aitchenson for an extended period of time?

Then the league finds out the team put money on his head.

-Staff and Management would be in HOT water, probably all suspended, expelled or forced to resign.
-Probably more than just Villy and Konyen out long term
-Zulich fined and maybe even sued, given the severity of the injury.

For as long as I been coming to game which about 30 years this season. The Wolves always been to find a way to beat themselves.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
what if it wasnt leaked and the team actually followed through on that game Thursday and took out Aitchenson for an extended period of time?

They'd receive a shorter suspension based on the precedent set this year. Is 15 games the longest suspension doled out this year? Isn't that sad?

Reactions: sbpointer

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007

Exactly play stupid games win stupid prizes

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
-Staff and Management would be in HOT water, probably all suspended, expelled or forced to resign.
I still think this should have happened to some extent. It's ridiculous to let the players take 100% of the punishment and the blame. The adults in the room were entrusted with these players; they had to own some of the responsibility.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
I still think this should have happened to some extent. It's ridiculous to let the players take 100% of the punishment and the blame. The adults in the room were entrusted with these players; they had to own some of the responsibility.
It would be nice if the organization would address the situation or at the very least make a statement.

Too busy making emergency press conferences for $5 beer.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I would be very careful when throwing out names affilate leans towards Jackson possibly, twin brother leans towards Walton, I would not just assume unless you know for sure. If I did I would never post it on a forum.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
I wonder what wolves team shows up tonight?
Lets hope that they remember the 11-7 loss last time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad