Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I hear it’s fun to play in the traffic on Queen Street. How about we take Barker out for 15 games and another good player for 10 and then we’ll compare notes.
Nice delete on your post to my post, hum last time i checked Barker and another good player didn't do anything wrong do you understand what the 2 Wolves players did they 100% deserve the suspension.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I hear it’s fun to play in the traffic on Queen Street. How about we take Barker out for 15 games and another good player for 10 and then we’ll compare notes.
while i get your point, we did play a month and a bit with no McConnell-Barker (injured), Allard and Karki (WJC), and D'Intino ( injured) and still beat some pretty tough teams. there's no reason you guys can't do the same. as long as you can keep home ice for first round and play a 6, 7 or 8 seed you should be fine. he'll be back for 2nd round.

shitty situation for wolves fans. from an outsider looking in, i don't think it could have been a worse player get that suspension. IMO even if it was goyette, you guys would be okay but Villeneuve does it all, scores, defends, plays rough. that's a big loss.

Reactions: MGOBlue

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Wonder who leaked the wolves conversation. Would bet that player isn’t on the team next year(right or wrong) for one and for two that nobody on the team is going to trust him from now on.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Saints are coming out of the woodwork now. Most hockey fans have said a lot worst against opposing teams and players. Hard to get our halos through the door. NHL player yell worse from the bench every game. Little excessive suspension for teenagers talking stupid. Social media is a garbage pit for the most part. Cancel culture alive and well.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I was curious to see if Wolves team defence and goaltending had improved or regressed since the beginning of the season.

October 12 games 35 goals allowed GAA 2.92
November 11 games 48 goals allowed GAA 4.36
December 11 games 43 goals allowed GAA 3.91
January 10 games 46 goals allowed GAA 4.60
February 13 games 52 goals allowed GAA 4.00
March 2 games 9 goals allowed GAA 4.50

It appears it has been consistently bad other than a handful of good games way back in October.

Wolves have only allowed less than three goals per game 15 times out of 59 games, and seven of those games were in October. Only eight times in the four months since.

I was curious to see if Wolves team defence and goaltending had improved or regressed since the beginning of the season.

October 12 games 35 goals allowed GAA 2.92
November 11 games 48 goals allowed GAA 4.36
December 11 games 43 goals allowed GAA 3.91
January 10 games 46 goals allowed GAA 4.60
February 13 games 52 goals allowed GAA 4.00
March 2 games 9 goals allowed GAA 4.50

It appears it has been consistently bad other than a handful of good games way back in October.

Wolves have only allowed less than three goals per game 15 times out of 59 games, and seven of those games were in October. Only eight times in the four months since.
This is why the Wolves won’t win, not the suspension. This has been an issue for about a decade.

StewieFan76

Mar 23, 2019
All I will say about the suspensions is it’s part of the culture that’s been cultivated in Sudbury. Tell me if we had a coach like Mike Foligno, Trent Cull or Stan Butler would we even have to worry about these issues? I mean those coaches were all about preparing young men to be professional, hockey players, and act in a professional manner, and represent the team with respect and pride. You’re representing the city so you should show some class and show some professionalism because you’re aspiring to be professionals. I mean there’s no accountability on the ice, players take long shifts if they want to, there’s no accountability when they take stupid penalties so they figure they can do whatever they want. It’s not like they have a coach or a GM or anyone that’s going to enforce anything or punish them for wrongdoing. and when you have a culture that’s wild wild West pretty much then that’s the kind of stuff that happens. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it sucks that this city has supported the team for so long and the year like this when we really really could’ve had a lock on first place in the conference and excitement about a long playoff run not enough was done to make it happen. I mean, how can you own a team and realize the coach is not that great and the general manager is not really going for it but you claim you wanna win and you care about the fans? Sorry I don’t see it. Again, it just sucks because things like this whatever you might feel about it and yeah I definitely think the suspensions are too long, especially like many people have said players do things physically harm another player and barely get a suspension but this gets that long of a suspension? A little bit excessive indefinitely more so because it’s Sudbury. But again, there’s a reason why teams like London, Ottawa and others are seen as classy organizations, and Sudbury is seen as a five dollar beer joke 🤷‍♂️

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Wonder who leaked the wolves conversation. Would bet that player isn’t on the team next year(right or wrong) for one and for two that nobody on the team is going to trust him from now on.
The league is clear in it's ruling that policies were broken. The penalty seems harsh, but the focus should not be on the whistle blower. That is only perpetuating the problems we keep finding ourselves in with these various hockey organizations.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
The league is clear in it's ruling that policies were broken. The penalty seems harsh, but the focus should not be on the whistle blower. That is only perpetuating the problems we keep finding ourselves in with these various hockey organizations.
Very true, I don’t imagine things are or have been very comfortable for that individual. They will probably be traded (if they aren’t aged out) in the off season.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
A group chat isn't social media. Not sure why it's being treated that way.

But whatever, it is what it is. Suspensions seem long to me.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Clear as day the ones causing problems are those 2 that got suspended but the room is probably pretty off right now I’d have to guess. Hockey groups are usually really close and “bro culture” and if there is a whistleblower about something as stupid as this then there’s going to be a lot of lost trust in the room as a whole.

Not that what konyen and Villenueve did was right but I’d bet a lot of money a lot worse gets said on the ice and to their buddies away from the rink.

I can understand a small suspension if any, but a combined 25 games for that is ridiculous. Especially around playoff time.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
A group chat isn't social media. Not sure why it's being treated that way.

But whatever, it is what it is. Suspensions seem long to me.
I believe it was on social media so Instagram/Snapchat/Twitter/ Facebook- somewhere around there. And started a group there. So it is online.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I'm seeing a lot of coaching on the bench by Dorval and Ricciardi, Ken MacKenzie looking like a really passenger, maybe it's just past his bedtime once we hit OT.

Not sure what Giroux was thinking in OT, terrible giveaway, and then he just goes and bails on a line change leaving the soo with a 2 on 1.

Last edited:

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Wolves losing crucial points at home late in the season with 1st in the Conference on the line. Disappointing to say the least. Huge Conference games to close out the season against North Bay and Oshawa twice. Pretty much a must win game this Friday against Windsor if they want to stay in the race for 1st

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I believe it was on social media so Instagram/Snapchat/Twitter/ Facebook- somewhere around there. And started a group there. So it is online.
You've got to think the current situation with the Team Canada trials going on probably had something to do with the suspension decision. I would imagine Hockey Canada has made it clear to the CHL management that these issues cannot be condoned. May be excessive but I feel like they're sending a message and, of course, we're the team in the middle.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Two options are how the season goes from here

Biggest failure of a franchise in the OHL, Sarnia is the only one who can even stick around in the same conversation
Nice to be included in such talks. Ain't it great?! Never ending disappointment, heartbreak, anger just to trick yourself into believing again in 3 years for the same ending..

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
C'mon Wolves fans get it together, one player does not make a team and he's not gone forever...still lots of hockey to be played until we hopefully see you in the OHL Finals but in the interim hoping the Hounds come out with a dub tonight :P
You're the best poster from your team thread. Welcome here anytime.

Nice to be included in such talks. Ain't it great?! Never ending disappointment, heartbreak, anger just to trick yourself into believing again in 3 years for the same ending..
What happened last season in the playoffs? You had a stacked team right? What about the previous year? I'm not sure what your record was

Reactions: SSMHoundsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad