Sudbury Wolves 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Creative. I like. Would try it until the can trade for more help.

What's your outlook on Assadourian. He's kinda slips under the radar. He's in his second year. I wonder what the coaches see him as and or want from him. Come 3rd year what are the expectations.
I for one really like Aasadourian and what he brings. He’s one player I’m quite happy with.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Congrats to David Goyette on being the first 2020 OHl draftee to reach 100 pts in 86 games ! He was selected 11th overall and plays on a bottom team but still dominates all other players in his draft class. Can you imagine if he was on a good team ? Yet Lycanthrope feels like he should be doing more even though he hardly ever plays with the same linemates. 8-9 games out of 10 he’s our best forward. I’m sure you could blame a few other players that could do more for this team. We gave up 23 shots and lost 5-1. Wake up people…
Yes I won’t disagree he’s obviously our best player and plays with tenacity. He is not the only guilty party but what I haven’t liked is his making blind passes and trying to force plays. If this team would only simplify their game I think they would be a lot more successful. What’s wrong with shooting the puck more, trying to capitalize on rebounds, screens etc. See how Ottawa scored? Shooting through screens. Often our guys seem to try to make tic tac toe plays regularly. Not every goal needs to make the highlight reel.
He’s one player that I feel we need to score more. Not sure how you can criticize Goyette and not him.

WJ
For one He’s not nearly as highly touted as Goyette. Give him time and good linemates. As far as Goyette, I guess I was just hoping for him to dominate more on this trip. Just frustrating seeing us languishing around the bottom of the standings again.

And Musty has 56 points in 70 games vs Ritchie with Oshawa taken next has 63 points in 86 games. I would say that Musty is on par considering he's also playing on a team that wasn't near as strong as Oshawa last season.

Patience is key here. Things are going to happen in time. I hope Papineau can add another OA to play in the top 6. It would really help ease the pressure these two players take on for sure. (Goyette and Musty)

Top 5 - 2021 forwards include Barlow OS, Meidema Windsor, Soto Kingston, Ritchie Oshawa, and Musty Sudbury. We have to be pleased to have top 5 forwards in the 2021 and 2020 class. Let's hope Villeneuve can get going so that we have 3 in the top 5 scoring in three consecutive drafts.

WJ
I hope so Jack. I just don’t want to see another wasted season.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Not playing Krawchuk tells me at practice he doesn't push for the position, this is a time to make the Coaches know your hungry and not satisfied to be just a backup. He seems to be a really laid back guy so it doesn't help his situation. What I have seen from him so far, he's not bad but inexperienced.
I don’t know Cub. Unless you have some inside knowledge that might be a stretch. It may be more likely he’s not playing because they’re desperate for wins and maybe they plan to play him once the Wolves get their head above water. Not sure that’s a winning formula, especially considering the amount of goals they‘re giving up with Ranger. Would Krawchuck be that much worse? This is a developmental league and he sure hasn’t been given much chance to develop. Everyone starts out inexperienced right.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Congrats to David Goyette on being the first 2020 OHl draftee to reach 100 pts in 86 games ! He was selected 11th overall and plays on a bottom team but still dominates all other players in his draft class. Can you imagine if he was on a good team ? Yet Lycanthrope feels like he should be doing more even though he hardly ever plays with the same linemates. 8-9 games out of 10 he’s our best forward. I’m sure you could blame a few other players that could do more for this team. We gave up 23 shots and lost 5-1. Wake up people…
Those are strong feelings for Goyette. I don’t recall you stepping up for Musty, a lot more questioned than Goyette.
Goyette is a high end point producer, but not dominating his draft class. So is Poitras, and now Naimestrov getting 1st line/PP1 minutes for Guelph. Nelson, Beck, Abraham, Guindon are leading their better teams to better things, as are ‘05 born Barlow and Pinelli.
There are two dominant ‘04 born imo, Beck and Nelson. Add Wright if/when returned to the OHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: djscooter

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
We’re not losing because of him that’s for sure lol Our OA’s and 2003 players are not doing enough that’s why this team is in trouble.

for the other players in the 2020 draft class it would be fun if we could swap them and see what they would look like on our team. But to compare guys on stacked teams is just ridiculous

Last year our back up started 12 games and we lost all 12. This year our back up is 0 and 2 and Ranger seems to struggle. He looks like he is playing waybtoo many games. If this team wants to make the playoffs they need to address the situation fast.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We’re not losing because of him that’s for sure lol Our OA’s and 2003 players are not doing enough that’s why this team is in trouble.

for the other players in the 2020 draft class it would be fun if we could swap them and see what they would look like on our team. But to compare guys on stacked teams is just ridiculous

Last year our back up started 12 games and we lost all 12. This year our back up is 0 and 2 and Ranger seems to struggle. He looks like he is playing waybtoo many games. If this team wants to make the playoffs they need to address the situation fast.
0-12 for BUG; wow!
You made the claim Goyette is dominating his draft class. It is far from ridiculous to compare ‘04 born leading the top teams.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Sounds good to me. I actually don't mind his game.

I just don't trust Ranger as a f/t goaltender
I get nervous everytime he makes a save. Can he win you a series, is the question, I'm not to sure.
I'm not worried about Ranger. He has faced the most shots in the OHL but also has made the most saves. If you look at his save % to goalies with half the shots, it is very close to the same. This is an indication that the problem isn't the goal tending, it is an issue with the defense and poor defensive zone coverage. Why are there so many shots against?

The imbedded stats I viewed for the Kingston game were very telling. Out of the 26 shots against, 11 of them were rated A+ scoring chances and 12 were rated A and the rest were A- and B. Also, view where the shots are coming from, in PRIME scoring positions. This is not a goalie issue.

This team needs a VETERAN 20 year old Defenseman, they can't afford a 19 yr old, and a lot of schooling on how to properly box the opposing forwards out AWAY from the front of the net and not on the goalies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
And Musty has 56 points in 70 games vs Ritchie with Oshawa taken next has 63 points in 86 games. I would say that Musty is on par considering he's also playing on a team that wasn't near as strong as Oshawa last season.
Not to take anything away from point production, but a big part of why Goyette and Musty have been able to accumulate points this quickly is precisely because of the opportunities they get from Sudbury not being nearly as strong in their rookie years. Other players on better teams play with less offensively minded linemates for fewer minutes and get no special teams time.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not to take anything away from point production, but a big part of why Goyette and Musty have been able to accumulate points this quickly is precisely because of the opportunities they get from Sudbury not being nearly as strong in their rookie years. Other players on better teams play with less offensively minded linemates for fewer minutes and get no special teams time.
That was stated by many last year, but these are wolves players being discussed on the wolves thread.
Musty would be getting his minutes on any team though. He will be NHL drafted before 40, maybe well before.

Last edited:

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
ok I totally get it Goyette is nothing special and him getting 74 pounts last year and 25 more tham anybody else on his team is just luck. Anybody else in his draft class might even have done better playing against top 2001 Dman in the league all the time ! Sudbury is not allowed to be proud of a top player on the team. So funny. First time commenting in over 6 Months now I remember why. I’ll go cheer for them Wednesday and dream of how good the Wolves could have been if they didn’t draft Goyette lolll Have a great season !

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
ok I totally get it Goyette is nothing special and him getting 74 pounts last year and 25 more tham anybody else on his team is just luck. Anybody else in his draft class might even have done better playing against top 2001 Dman in the league all the time ! Sudbury is not allowed to be proud of a top player on the team. So funny. First time commenting in over 6 Months now I remember why. I’ll go cheer for them Wednesday and dream of how good the Wolves could have been if they didn’t draft Goyette lolll Have a great season !
Came in pretty hot for your first post in six months. Try to not be offended by ‘Goyette is a high point producer but not dominating his draft class’.
Save the dominating stuff for guys like Nelson, Barlow, Misa.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Facing the facts, the Wolves are a slightly below average team in the eastern conference, barring injury they will fight to the end for that seventh or eighth seed. They will be hesitant to make a big deal this year as they see next season as their year. They are rolling the dice with Ranger if he were to get hurt for any length of time they are done. As a fan for over 30 years I have come to the conclusion that the odds of a championship are not great and I will not lose sleep waiting for one. I support our team but mostly look forward to the many great players that are on all teams that come into our barn. A new coach, a new Gm, a new arena all adds to the excitement. This forum is great to visit to get fans views but we have to remember that the most frequent posters represents less than one percent of our fan base.

Reactions: Wiserbud

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Came in pretty hot for your first post in six months. Try to not be offended by ‘Goyette is a high point producer but not dominating his draft class’.
Well he got 100 points Friday I believe that is remarkable from him. I don’t recall seing a better 2004 when we played other teams. I don’t pretend to have your knowledge but I thought it was worth mentionning on the WOLVES site and you went all crazy about it loll that was weird !

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Not worth engaging with some folks on this. Some players can do no wrong, others can do no right.

Goyette went from a 1.11 PTS/G last year to a 1.29 PTS/G this year, not really the increase your looking to see from the rookie of the year runner-up, He seems more concerned with trying to prove he's a tough guy with his penalty minutes going up from 0.5 per game to 1 per game.

On the other hand, Musty has move from a .62 PTS/G and 1.4 pim/g to 1.25 PTS/G and 1 pim/g

Goyette's great, probably one of the top 30 players in the OHL, but Musty is not far behind, while being a year and a half younger, for some reason it seems to face 10x as much criticism.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Facing the facts, the Wolves are a slightly below average team in the eastern conference, barring injury they will fight to the end for that seventh or eighth seed. They will be hesitant to make a big deal this year as they see next season as their year. They are rolling the dice with Ranger if he were to get hurt for any length of time they are done. As a fan for over 30 years I have come to the conclusion that the odds of a championship are not great and I will not lose sleep waiting for one. I support our team but mostly look forward to the many great players that are on all teams that come into our barn. A new coach, a new Gm, a new arena all adds to the excitement. This forum is great to visit to get fans views but we have to remember that the most frequent posters represents less than one percent of our fan base.
I think that realization was why I was so disappointed and frustrated yesterday. When the season started there was no question of fighting for a playoff spot remember? We were supposed to take a huge step forward. Now it’s really looking like a fight for the playoffs….again. What is it going to take to have a team that can at least consistently play above .500 ? We look around, there’s the Soo, North Bay, Barrie and on and on. These and other franchises might have their down years but are consistently able to recover and be successful more often than not. Bill that you are resigned to the fact that a championship is unlikely is really unfortunate as it sounds like you’ve been following the team closely for as many years as I have. Why should that be out of reach for us? One thing I believe about Zulich is that he is committed to do what it takes to strive for a championship so why not us?
It all starts at the top right? We obviously need the right people and players in place. Well now we have a coach with an NHL pedigree, we’ve had several high picks (including no less than 3 first overall), what else is it going to take? To me Papineau is the one who should be on the line now if this core he put together goes bust. Some of his moves and picks have been outright fails. The Holmes/Boudreau deal is already looking like a fail. He’s had a hell of a time getting imports to report while the teams with consistent success have not and considering the key role imports play that’s another reason they’ve been successful. How long are we going to play less one OA? If this season continues to spiral its on him, it’s his team.
I know it can be negative and critical on here and sometimes I’m as guilty as the rest but it stems from loving hockey and our Wolves.
I’m fiercely loyal and wouldn’t dare let any any outsider criticize them or talk smack and I’d be the first to stand up but the frustration stems from a desperate desire for some measure of success amidst so much mediocrity and disappointment.
For some of you newer to the Wolves and the forum it’s worth knowing that as Bill mentioned many of us have been staunch supporters of the team for decades and have had way more than our share of mediocrity and heartbreak. Here’s hoping for a turnaround. Several home games coming up.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Don’t forget Boucher yesterday.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think that realization was why I was so disappointed and frustrated yesterday. When the season started there was no question of fighting for a playoff spot remember? We were supposed to take a huge step forward. Now it’s really looking like a fight for the playoffs….again. What is it going to take to have a team that can at least consistently play above .500 ? We look around, there’s the Soo, North Bay, Barrie and on and on. These and other franchises might have their down years but are consistently able to recover and be successful more often than not. Bill that you are resigned to the fact that a championship is unlikely is really unfortunate as it sounds like you’ve been following the team closely for as many years as I have. Why should that be out of reach for us? One thing I believe about Zulich is that he is committed to do what it takes to strive for a championship so why not us?
It all starts at the top right? We obviously need the right people and players in place. Well now we have a coach with an NHL pedigree, we’ve had several high picks (including no less than 3 first overall), what else is it going to take? To me Papineau is the one who should be on the line now if this core he put together goes bust. Some of his moves and picks have been outright fails. The Holmes/Boudreau deal is already looking like a fail. He’s had a hell of a time getting imports to report while the teams with consistent success have not and considering the key role imports play that’s another reason they’ve been successful. How long are we going to play less one OA? If this season continues to spiral its on him, it’s his team.
I know it can be negative and critical on here and sometimes I’m as guilty as the rest but it stems from loving hockey and our Wolves.
I’m fiercely loyal and wouldn’t dare let any any outsider criticize them or talk smack and I’d be the first to stand up but the frustration stems from a desperate desire for some measure of success amidst so much mediocrity and disappointment.
For some of you newer to the Wolves and the forum it’s worth knowing that as Bill mentioned many of us have been staunch supporters of the team for decades and have had way more than our share of mediocrity and heartbreak. Here’s hoping for a turnaround. Several home games coming up.
Well, I hope that 2024-25 could be the year

Don’t forget Boucher yesterday.
Not getting this one.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
No matter which CHL/OHL team you cheer for and are passionate about, there will be frustration. They are Minor hockey kids learning to be young professionals, some more mature than others. Some teams have sound and proven management, some teams make better draft picks and have imports report. But no matter what the situation or team, one thing is guaranteed FRUSTRATION. We jump on these boards and bitch and complain about almost everything and guess who or what is to blame. The fun part of these boards is it gives all of us with all the answers to be pretend GMs. But honestly, it’s complicated. More complicated than any of us Wolfer fans can appreciate. Let’s start with Geography. Players (some) don’t want to come here. Geography is a disadvantage for trades and player movement. Improvements have been made over the years with the draft as players will come when drafted (US and Imports). Facilities, why does every player wanna go to Oshawa or London? Rich history (we have that), but the arenas are incredible and the facilities are focused on player development. Like it or not, the Wolves Scouts draft exceptionally well. Are there misses, of course, all teams miss. Anyway, we all want more wins but it’s going to take time…but know it’s coming. Games against Missy, Barrie and Pete’s are proof of a team that doesn't quit and has the skill set to create sufficient offence. There is room for improvements, but the signs are there. Cheer hard, bitch and complain all you want but patience please!!!

Reactions: Wisdom

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I will always support our team however, I refuse to lessen that support due to lack of success. I will still be at the rink wishin and a hopein

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I agree with requiring patience. ( Also a die hard fan for 30 years + ). If that isn't patience! But seriously, I remember the Templeton 'method'. Development and growth is fine in the first half of the season - but after Christmas its time to deliver results. Rookies are no longer rookies. Now, is there enough of a first half left for Derek to make this happen? I think there 'might' be. Anyway, I will provide Derek and the roster a little more patience but do want to see some results in the new year. Go Wolves Go!

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I agree with requiring patience. ( Also a die hard fan for 30 years + ). If that isn't patience! But seriously, I remember the Templeton 'method'. Development and growth is fine in the first half of the season - but after Christmas its time to deliver results. Rookies are no longer rookies. Now, is there enough of a first half left for Derek to make this happen? I think there 'might' be. Anyway, I will provide Derek and the roster a little more patience but do want to see some results in the new year. Go Wolves Go!
The Wolves organization always has an abundance of patience it seems! A fan since my minor hockey days so I can relate to your comments Wiser!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Not sure what draft class he’s from I just meant he appeared dominant.
Well, I hope that 2024-25 could be the year

Not getting this one.

I will always support our team however, I refuse to lessen that support due to lack of success. I will still be at the rink wishin and a hopein
There’s no question of lessening my support. I attended EVERY game during our abysmal 12 win season. If that’s not diehard nothing is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not sure what draft class he’s from I just meant he appeared dominant.
2019 pick #143. Good for him. Good for ‘67s & Senators too. I’ve only really seen the mean streak, cheap shot to injure (edit: hurt would probably be a lot more appropriate) side of Boucher stand out so far. He is ~pt/g so maybe he’ll be the player the Sens thought he would be.
There’s no question of lessening my support. I attended EVERY game during our abysmal 12 win season. If that’s not diehard nothing is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille