Sudbury Wolves 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Tough Eastern road swing with 3 games in 4 days and coming home with 3 of a possible 6 points I will take. However today we were in tough as Musty and Delic both out of the line up. Then Collins was ejected which I still don't understand why made it that much more difficult to stay close in this game. Refs were not very good today. A lot of missed grabbing and hooking calls especially on the Goyette partial breakaway early in the game. And the terrible call against Collins. DM appeared to be steaming behind the bench with these terrible calls. I understand why Collins was so upset seeing that he was taken behind the knee by Barlas. I don't blame him for taking him on there since the refs didn't call it a penalty. It was a really dangerous play.

Other than that the Wolves really didn't show much after the third goal where Mews was able to get his own rebound while 3 Wolves players stood and watched. As well the lack of production on the PP continues to be a tough spot for this club.

Hoping for Delic to be available Wednesday night as we will still be without Musty and possibly Walton who left the game late in the third period. As I have said this team could really benefit from some help in way of another overage forward. North Bay seems to be playing well and have a ton of firepower.

WJ

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
He's not looked good. I notice when he goes back to get the puck, he just rings it along the boards. He does the least. Guess he don't want that NHL contract.
A lot of teams have been chasing our D by putting the puck deep. They know we struggle getting pucks out quick. Our forwards have to get back into positions to support so they can make the transition out. I really believe today with Musty and Delic in the line up we would have had a shot today with Ottawa missing some key guys.

WJ

Reactions: Wolfgang Puck

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
A lot of teams have been chasing our D by putting the puck deep. They know we struggle getting pucks out quick. Our forwards have to get back into positions to support so they can make the transition out. I really believe today with Musty and Delic in the line up we would have had a shot today with Ottawa missing some key guys.

WJ
Yes but I think the D has been good back there of late. As a captain he needs to lead by example. Not look for the east way out. He's not my top 4 on D on this team.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
again no idea why get into a fight, just changed the whole momentum of the game.
Absolutely! Again! Duncason or Dereck Mackenzie doesn’t matter same selfish stupidity that turns the game around. Laughable defensive coverage, notably by Holmes on two goals. Points aside I expected more from Goyette. Don’t find he’s stood out the way we would need him to the last few games and he’s constantly throwing the puck away. Power play again a study in futility.
Really doesn’t say much if the Wolves couldn’t take advantage of an Ottawa team that played in Peterborough last night when they should have been chilling in Ottawa waiting for them.
Here we go fighting for a playoff spot again. That’s what we have to look forward to.….seemingly year after year. Pretty disgusted right now.

well not a pretty game, looks like no gas in tank left. In all not a bad weekend, need to get on a run.
No gas in the tank!! Ottawa should have had no gas in the tank. They travelled last night after being in North Bay Thursday and Peterborough last night. No excuse, just not that good a team….again!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

WJ
They had two impact players out, were fighting the flu and played last night with travel. Bogus. We’d have lost just the same.

Did anyone notice DeGrazia on this 3 games Rd trip.
Absolutely as much as anyone. One of if not the best penalty killer Not sure what you don’t like about him but you’re all wet on this.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
They had two impact players out, were fighting the flu and played last night with travel. Bogus. We’d have lost just the same.

Absolutely as much as anyone. One of if not the best penalty killer Not sure what you don’t like about him but you’re all wet on this.
I don't dislike him. He has one of the quietest 15 points ive seen. I expect more from my o/a's and I'm sure the wolves to do. That involves more than penality killing.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
what happened to Holmes this year? totally got burnt on last goal.
He's not very good at hockey if we're being honest.
I don't dislike him. He has one of the quietest 15 points ive seen. I expect more from my o/a's and I'm sure the wolves to do. That involves more than penality killing.
15 points in 18 games is pretty darn good, top 5 in points per game on the Wolves. Far and away the best coverage who has been on the roster at any point this year.

Overall, disappointing weekend, but the amount of points they're bringing home is right around where I expected. 0 discipline as is tradition though. I know we've all said it, but they need to trade for a backup they're willing to play. Krawchuk has played 139 minutes, and clearly what he's shown in those minutes has the wolves refusing to play him again.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He does do more than that. I heard his name often as he was as implicated as any other forward. Who really did stand out for you on the trip, either on the front or back end? I know what Cub means by saying this team is hard to watch. Problems is, I hardly remember a season when they weren’t and it gets really tiring. Seemingly no matter the players the team are experts at shooting themselves in the foot and taking themselves out of hockey games. How many Sunday afternoons have I watched this team while my blood boiled. Cant be healthy.
What real improvements are we seeing with the coaching change? Is it going to take the season? We give up way too many goals. So tired of this mediocrity.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He's not very good at hockey if we're being honest.

15 points in 18 games is pretty darn good, top 5 in points per game on the Wolves. Far and away the best coverage who has been on the roster at any point this year.

Overall, disappointing weekend, but the amount of points they're bringing home is right around where I expected. 0 discipline as is tradition though. I know we've all said it, but they need to trade for a backup they're willing to play. Krawchuk has played 139 minutes, and clearly what he's shown in those minutes has the wolves refusing to play him again.
Given how little Krawchuck has played I don’t know how they can make any judgement on him at this point. 3 points out of six on the road would typically be acceptable but the Wolves have major ground to make up and that won’t cut it. As far as Holmes…bust and you can throw Boudreau in there too. No one left to fire but Papineau.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Given how little Krawchuck has played I don’t know how they can make any judgement on him at this point. 3 points out of six on the road would typically be acceptable but the Wolves have major ground to make up and that won’t cut it. As far as Holmes…bust and you can throw Boudreau in there too. No one left to fire but Papineau.
I don't disagree with you, but I can't see any other explanation to why they refuse to give him any more starts. Holmes is definitely a bust, I'm not quite ready to give up on Boudreau, but not far either.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Holmes and Boudreau last year were far better than what I see this year. They really taken a step back, Holmes is captain he needs to get fired up a bit, and take some leadership, he's non-responsive out there.

Mauro is a total waste of a signing time to release him and get someone else. I'm not here to bash any player but he is not an OHL player. We released players better at training camp, not sure what they saw in his game.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Not playing Krawchuk tells me at practice he doesn't push for the position, this is a time to make the Coaches know your hungry and not satisfied to be just a backup. He seems to be a really laid back guy so it doesn't help his situation. What I have seen from him so far, he's not bad but inexperienced.

Wolfgang Puck

Jul 19, 2020
Did anyone notice DeGrazia on this 3 games Rd trip.
DeGrazia should be challenging Goyette for the team lead in scoring but unfortunately his role right now is to shut down the opponents top line and kill penalties. The kid is a goal scorer and should be paired with another offensive threat . Right now opponents only have to shut down Goyette line to beat us. Papineau should trade for hometown boy Mitch Martin and reunite him with DeGrazia they lit up the NOJHL together.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
DeGrazia should be challenging Goyette for the team lead in scoring but unfortunately his role right now is to shut down the opponents top line and kill penalties. The kid is a goal scorer and should be paired with another offensive threat . Right now opponents only have to shut down Goyette line to beat us. Papineau should trade for hometown boy Mitch Martin and reunite him with DeGrazia they lit up the NOJHL together.
I agree with this with pairing him with someone offensive. They def need another score which has been mentioned here. I think Martin is out for some time. I believe shoulder if I'm not mistaken.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
As I have stated several time getting another overage forward would be pivotal in providing us with the necessary depth to have two scoring lines.

Not sure who they trade besides Derbidge(3g 1a in two games in Stouffville) and Robinson if they can get anything for them. Mauro would be deleted from the roster IMO.

Musty Goyette Konyen
DeGrazia Delic OA
Larmand McCallum Pharand
Walton Assadourian Villeneuve/Boudreau

WJ

Wolfgang Puck

Jul 19, 2020
I agree with this with pairing him with someone offensive. They def need another score which has been mentioned here. I think Martin is out for some time. I believe shoulder if I'm not mistaken.
I think Larmond, McCallum and Boudreau/Assadourian could be a shutdown line. Pair DeGrazia with Delic and Pharand or Villeneuve. We need two scoring lines.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I think Larmond, McCallum and Boudreau/Assadourian could be a shutdown line. Pair DeGrazia with Delic and Pharand or Villeneuve. We need two scoring lines
Creative. I like. Would try it until the can trade for more help.

What's your outlook on Assadourian. He's kinda slips under the radar. He's in his second year. I wonder what the coaches see him as and or want from him. Come 3rd year what are the expectations.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Creative. I like. Would try it until the can trade for more help.

What's your outlook on Assadourian. He's kinda slips under the radar. He's in his second year. I wonder what the coaches see him as and or want from him. Come 3rd year what are the expectations.
Honestly that wouldn't work. We need another vet in the top six to provide us with the help required. Assadourian is just not physical or feisty enough to be on a checking line. Larmand and McCallum are not that big but really take a beating every game playing that role. Not sure Assadourian fits. Now Derbidge may have been that option but didn't stick around enough to get those chances. IMO

WJ

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Honestly that wouldn't work. We need another vet in the top six to provide us with the help required. Assadourian is just not physical or feisty enough to be on a checking line. Larmand and McCallum are not that big but really take a beating every game playing that role. Not sure Assadourian fits. Now Derbidge may have been that option but didn't stick around enough to get those chances. IMO

WJ
Well he said him or Boudreau. I wouldn't have Assadourian on that line. He'd be lucky to be on my 4th line.

I remember when they made the pick. Paps had called a timeout then his name mentioned. I wondered what took part in that timeout discussion.

Wolfgang Puck

Jul 19, 2020

WJ
I was trying to plug in players we have right now (easy to do from my couch) I agree we need a scoring OA and we should bring Derbridge back he has grit and can score. Assadourian wins more than half his face offs and has high energy but I don’t see him in the top 6. He is still young though so he could prove me wrong

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

WJ
Totally agree. Along the boards is much safer than a bad pass up the middle.

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Congrats to David Goyette on being the first 2020 OHl draftee to reach 100 pts in 86 games ! He was selected 11th overall and plays on a bottom team but still dominates all other players in his draft class. Can you imagine if he was on a good team ? Yet Lycanthrope feels like he should be doing more even though he hardly ever plays with the same linemates. 8-9 games out of 10 he’s our best forward. I’m sure you could blame a few other players that could do more for this team. We gave up 23 shots and lost 5-1. Wake up people…

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Congrats to David Goyette on being the first 2020 OHl draftee to reach 100 pts in 86 games ! He was selected 11th overall and plays on a bottom team but still dominates all other players in his draft class. Can you imagine if he was on a good team ? Yet Lycanthrope feels like he should be doing more even though he hardly ever plays with the same linemates. 8-9 games out of 10 he’s our best forward. I’m sure you could blame a few other players that could do more for this team. We gave up 23 shots and lost 5-1. Wake up people…
And Musty has 56 points in 70 games vs Ritchie with Oshawa taken next has 63 points in 86 games. I would say that Musty is on par considering he's also playing on a team that wasn't near as strong as Oshawa last season.

Patience is key here. Things are going to happen in time. I hope Papineau can add another OA to play in the top 6. It would really help ease the pressure these two players take on for sure. (Goyette and Musty)

Top 5 - 2021 forwards include Barlow OS, Meidema Windsor, Soto Kingston, Ritchie Oshawa, and Musty Sudbury. We have to be pleased to have top 5 forwards in the 2021 and 2020 class. Let's hope Villeneuve can get going so that we have 3 in the top 5 scoring in three consecutive drafts.

WJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad