Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I hate to bring it up in light of such a positive showing from the Wolves but I couldn't help but notice how some fans gave Levin a less than enthusiastic reception when he was named second star. What gives with that?? I thought it was pathetic and it put a damper on an otherwise great night.
I wonder what do you guys think about Levin playing with both Pilons?

I really didn’t notice the lack of applause for the 3-star selection. I was surprised that one or both Pilon(s) were not hardest working though.
It seems any of Gihula, Bulitka, Pezzetta, and Levin can be effective with the twins.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well if that's the case we better get a boatload. As well good luck in your professional world when you pout for getting a consequence for your own mistake. The advice these kids get today is all wrong.

WJ
Ya for sure! Kids have been far to coddled for years now.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I really didn’t notice the lack of applause for the 3-star selection. I was surprised that one or both Pilon(s) were not hardest working though.
It seems any of Gihula, Bulitka, Pezzetta, and Levin can be effective with the twins.
Well I sure hope it's an anomaly as the kid played very well. I wasn't only referring to minimal applause but to bronx cheers. I guess your right about the lines and it does spread the offense. Stillman seems comfortable mixing them up during the game too. Big test tomorrow. Sarnia have really impressed me this year. Let's hope they look at the standings and go by that. The Pilons were in beast mode. Just love those guys and their effort, a pleasure to watch and consistently brings a smile to my face to see two smallish guys play with the heart of a lion.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I think ‘C.C.’ stays, as long as the wolves are in the playoff race. If Papineau believes he may be back for an OA season, there is no reason to trade him this season.
Last night, with experienced D partners, Candella was more than solid overall. The point shot for a goal was a rocket.

We will see what becomes of C. C.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well I sure hope it's an anomaly as the kid played very well. I wasn't only referring to minimal applause but to bronx cheers. I guess your right about the lines and it does spread the offense. Stillman seems comfortable mixing them up during the game too. Big test tomorrow. Sarnia have really impressed me this year. Let's hope they look at the standings and go by that. The Pilons were in beast mode. Just love those guys and their effort, a pleasure to watch and consistently brings a smile to my face to see two smallish guys play with the heart of a lion.

Yeah, that’s just not right. I guess I’m (beginning) to tune out the old barn ritual of griping about wolves high picks. They are just kids. That kid wants it bad enough leave family and friends for several months at a time. I’m really looking forward to when Levin has had enough hockey lessons to really understand what his skill can do.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah, that’s just not right. I guess I’m (beginning) to tune out the old barn ritual of griping about wolves high picks. They are just kids. That kid wants it bad enough leave family and friends for several months at a time. I’m really looking forward to when Levin has had enough hockey lessons to really understand what his skill can do.

This. I get disgusted by the amount of hate Levin gets, especially where I usually sit in sections 17-19. People say/yell some seriously sinister and downright nasty things about him. His play can sure as hell be frustrating at times but for the reasons you stated in your post, people really need to relax and get with the times.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The expectations of Levin were way too high due to him being a 1st overall selection. He also hasn’t been coached and held accountable so he kept up with the same bad habits. Now that he is being coached there is a huge difference to his game. You would have never seen a grinder goal like Wednesday’s from him before. You will still see him give away the puck at times but that’s going to happen once in a while and not nearly as often as last year. His overall game is on the upswing

Reactions: Lycanthrope

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Levin's vision is what makes him a special player. You can teach a player how to execute the game you can't teach the smarts. He has that extra sense referred to by scouts, how long it all takes to come together no one knows if at all. Alexander Daigle comes to mind. I believe Levin will eventually be in the show, how long that takes is up to him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Right. It’s all Levin. It’s a little about coaches; but, mostly about willingness to listen to those coaches, study the nuances of the game that he did not play until 14, and finally knowing how to use that knowledge. Processing knowledge in game is something some players (McFarland) can’t and some (Levio) can.

Last edited:

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Sarnia laid a beating on North Bay last night and are a ridiculously good 10-1, although it's a surprising and overachieving 10-1. I still don't think they are as good as Sault Ste Marie, who we've managed 3 out of a possible 4 points against thus far. Would be happy with a point, hopefully we surprise them like we did Ottawa with an explosive performance tonight.

Clearly they are a really good team though so if we fall asleep it could get really ugly.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Sarnia laid a beating on North Bay last night and are a ridiculously good 10-1, although it's a surprising and overachieving 10-1. I still don't think they are as good as Sault Ste Marie, who we've managed 3 out of a possible 4 points against thus far. Would be happy with a point, hopefully we surprise them like we did Ottawa with an explosive performance tonight.

Clearly they are a really good team though so if we fall asleep it could get really ugly.

The Wolves are playing better each week. Stillman is actually coaching, unlike the tire fire we've had here the last few seasons. Clearly the teams systems are better (i.e. breakouts and zone entries for example) and the kids are improving (see Levin's defensive improvements over the past few weeks as an example). They allowed 24 goals against in the first 4 games vs 13 goals for with a 0-3-1 record. In the past 7, they have 26 GF and 23 GA with a 3-3-1 record. Its going to be better when Carson gets back. I fully expect they will be chipping away up the standings as the season progresses.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I can’t see Sarnia hanging with Petes & OS all season (as is); but with 59 GF & 27 GA, that 10-1 record is a true reflection of currently the best team in the OHL.
That’s ok. The twins, with Blaisdell and O’Grady or Rhodes will nuetralize Kyrou & Rysthma. :)

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Not to be argumentative but I think they just might be better than the Soo, Owen Sound and Petes. At least as good. I've seen a few of their games. They are great offensively, their defence is playing good and their goaltending is rock solid. Fazio is well established as an excellent goalie but even their backup Hughes is playing great . Watch out.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Game day. Predictions wolves fans.

Wolves 5- Sarnia 2.

I would love that score! However I don’t see that happening against the number two team in the nation right now. Their team is simply playing too well right now, for us to beat them like that.

My prediction is:

My heart says 6-5 Wolves
My head says 6-3 Sarina

Either way I like the direction the team is heading in all things, coaching and players!

Go Wolves Go!!!

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Im gonna go with 5-3 Sting, but our boys put forth a good effort.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
All in all a good effort tonight. Excellent first period by the Wolves, some softies on McGrath. Fazio was story of the game played great.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
It was a good effort overall. Just a few things I think need addressed. Lajeunesse needs to take the shot when it is there. He has been playing give the puck to Sokolov too much. He missed two very scorable chances tonight and I have noticed it in previous games. Also, although Guilhula scored he seemed weak on the puck to me tonight. He coughs it up on the boards and in neutral zone way too easily. The centres seem to be improving on face off wins but wingers need to get in and scoop up the puck. Possession is key. The new D is providing some well needed stability on the backend as well. As I said before I like what Stillman is doing with this team. There is huge progress even if they aren't winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad