Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I have to disagree with you. I don’t believe any team goes out there intentionally losing games regardless of their evaluation of players in the upcoming draft. They might tweak their rosters to give them a better chance to lose or change deployment of lines in certain situations but they won’t tell the boys to go easy on the other team tonight. It surely doesn’t mean that they want Drysdale more then Byfield. Plus the players are playing for themselves and they know there are scouts watching every shift. Would players risk their future for the sake of the 1st pick?? I know I wouldn’t!
I am in no way suggesting that you tell the players to loose, that is hideous. What I am suggesting is that Papineau can utilize call ups for example Lavallee against a team like the Petes on Sunday. Give the coaches a team to coach that can only improve our chances of securing the number one pic. This years draft unlike other drafts in the past few years is boasting a franchise player. By finishing last we secure that pic and also the first Euro OHL pic much like Barrie last year. Why are we cutting our bench in the last 6 min of games lately, why are we not utilizing call ups other than Bowen. In this case good guys don't finish last. What do we have to prove. Evaluating players with 3 games to go ? I don't buy it. We also give up the first ohl pic in the euro draft. The Pete's came in here Sunday 4 pts behind Erie with 2 games in hand in the quest for the 3rd overall pic, minus 2 of their best players and playing their second string goaltender Da. The future of this franchise and being a winner may depend on some moves that may seem questionable to a few. I am all about winning and joining more than a few teams that have been questioned in the past for some of their antics. Papineau wants to evaluate players then maybe it is time to evaluate a few more that are playing juniorB and call ups and encourage them to go all out, play hard as we evaluating you. Telling players to loose is dead wrong. Telling a less talented lineup to play hard and win I am okay with.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I am in no way suggesting that you tell the players to loose, that is hideous. What I am suggesting is that Papineau can utilize call ups for example Lavallee against a team like the Petes on Sunday. Give the coaches a team to coach that can only improve our chances of securing the number one pic. This years draft unlike other drafts in the past few years is boasting a franchise player. By finishing last we secure that pic and also the first Euro OHL pic much like Barrie last year. Why are we cutting our bench in the last 6 min of games lately, why are we not utilizing call ups other than Bowen. In this case good guys don't finish last. What do we have to prove. Evaluating players with 3 games to go ? I don't buy it. We also give up the first ohl pic in the euro draft. The Pete's came in here Sunday 4 pts behind Erie with 2 games in hand in the quest for the 3rd overall pic, minus 2 of their best players and playing their second string goaltender Da. The future of this franchise and being a winner may depend on some moves that may seem questionable to a few. I am all about winning and joining more than a few teams that have been questioned in the past for some of their antics. Papineau wants to evaluate players then maybe it is time to evaluate a few more that are playing juniorB and call ups and encourage them to go all out, play hard as we evaluating you. Telling players to loose is dead wrong. Telling a less talented lineup to play hard and win I am okay with.

Didn’t I say tweek the lineup in my original comment? To a certain degree we are saying the same thing... I just don’t think that the wolves winning means they prefer Drysdale to Byfield. You just said Byfield is a franchise player. Iloveallsports disagreed with me when I mentioned tweek the roster to lose and that he doesn’t agree with that. We will end up where we end up and that’s the way it will be

Reactions: i luvallsports

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I believe a lot of the cards have been used up for call ups in Junior B, Lavallee won't play a game in OHL until he definitely is signed not jeopardize college scholarships.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I believe a lot of the cards have been used up for call ups in Junior B, Lavallee won't play a game in OHL until he definitely is signed not jeopardize college scholarships.
I believe Lavallee has voided his eligibility when he signed with Sarnia. Correct me if I am wrong if he in fact did sign with them. Get on that would you Cub.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Didn’t I say tweek the lineup in my original comment? To a certain degree we are saying the same thing... I just don’t think that the wolves winning means they prefer Drysdale to Byfield. You just said Byfield is a franchise player. Iloveallsports disagreed with me when I mentioned tweek the roster to lose and that he doesn’t agree with that. We will end up where we end up and that’s the way it will be
I understand what you are saying and I think to some degree we are on the same page. Have to be very careful on how we word what we would do as it is playing with morels and could make many people uncomfortable with our intent, is a very grey area when challenging peoples values with respect to this topic.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I understand what you are saying and I think to some degree we are on the same page. Have to be very careful on how we word what we would do as it is playing with morels and could make many people uncomfortable with our intent, is a very grey area when challenging peoples values with respect to this topic.

The players on the ice are trying to win at all times. There are drafts, pro contracts and university interest at stake. Coaches on the other hand, in the name of development, might play players in areas where they are weak. I think that would be the proper thing to say

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
An outsider looking in,If I was a Flint/Sudbury fan I would want my team to tank and why I say this who cares if the coaches want to finish strong,If you didn't want to be in this situation why didn't you play more desperate earlier, And your going to say 1st or 2nd pick doesn't matter both are great players, but getting the 1st overall draft pick and you have the choice what player you want and not getting the other that you may not of wanted.If I was a Flint/Sudbury fan I would want my time to tank, My opinion.

Reactions: cub and bobber

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I want to see Sokolov score his 50th tomorrow night; or a hat trick if he hits 50 tonight.
Just realized Barrie is host to the ‘67s tonight. The wolves have certainly had their share of hosting teams Friday after that team played Thursday in Barrie or NB.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I want to see Sokolov score his 50th tomorrow night; or a hat trick if he hits 50 tonight.
Just realized Barrie is host to the ‘67s tonight. The wolves have certainly had their share of hosting teams Friday after that team played Thursday in Barrie or NB.
Yes and the Wolves have played more than their share of 3 in 3 and often less than three as well so not sure what your’e point is.

As for Sokolov ya I wouldn’t mind seeing him get his 50th.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
What a game that was to watch. The physicality made for a very fun game and I was actually nervous that we were about to snag 2 out of it.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
What a game that was to watch. The physicality made for a very fun game and I was actually nervous that we were about to snag 2 out of it.

Im sad i missed this one, i hear they're was a tribute to Sokolov, how did that go? Any more insight on this game.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Im sad i missed this one, i hear they're was a tribute to Sokolov, how did that go? Any more insight on this game.
To be honest I was very disappointed with the tribute. It looked very thrown together and last minute with minimal effort. It was all pictures no videos but of course he got a good ovation. The pilons both had good games but drake took some untimely penalties (which you have to expect when he's playing that hard) I though Hutcheson really stood out tonight, he generated some good chances, should be valuable next season. So did Serentis who played a physical game well tonight. Stratis didn't have his best game and neither did Bulitka in my opinion. They both were a bit behind a few too many times. Levin was on the PK and the first unit got minimal PP time which was odd. It seemed very much like certain players were trying out for next year. They were skating hard. Candella was impressive tonight, played the way a veteran D should for the most part. Murray had a few good shifts but overall didn't stand out too much, either in a good or bad way. I would say the same about Tabak who was on the first line. And boy did Ross look poised tonight. The kid made some great defensive covers and really looked like more then a rookie tonight, I love his game. Rhodes got a goal, played his usual way and Blaisdell was just... Blaisdell. McGrath wasn't the best at times, he let in a few softies however he also made some unreal saves and really withstood Barries physical onslaught, so I don't really know what to think of his night.

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
To be honest I was very disappointed with the tribute. It looked very thrown together and last minute with minimal effort. It was all pictures no videos but of course he got a good ovation. The pilons both had good games but drake took some untimely penalties (which you have to expect when he's playing that hard) I though Hutcheson really stood out tonight, he generated some good chances, should be valuable next season. So did Serentis who played a physical game well tonight. Stratis didn't have his best game and neither did Bulitka in my opinion. They both were a bit behind a few too many times. Levin was on the PK and the first unit got minimal PP time which was odd. It seemed very much like certain players were trying out for next year. They were skating hard. Candella was impressive tonight, played the way a veteran D should for the most part. Murray had a few good shifts but overall didn't stand out too much, either in a good or bad way. I would say the same about Tabak who was on the first line. And boy did Ross look poised tonight. The kid made some great defensive covers and really looked like more then a rookie tonight, I love his game. Rhodes got a goal, played his usual way and Blaisdell was just... Blaisdell. McGrath wasn't the best at times, he let in a few softies however he also made some unreal saves and really withstood Barries physical onslaught, so I don't really know what to think of his night.

thanks hockeynorth. great insight.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
You'd think they could get game footage for these tributes. They were all very awkward.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
As far as tributes to overagers I agree more needs to be done. Flint did a great job. Hopefully they pick up ideas from other teams and improve on this in future years.
It is funny how people can watch the same game and see things so differently. I agree Hutcheson is a keeper but not based on his game last night. He was just OK to me. I agree the Pilons played well but I disagree with penalties that cost you the game being OK. If we were a win away from a playoff spot it would be unacceptable but because we are out that undisciplined style gets a pass. I notice more mistakes with Ross then I want to see but I think another year in the league should bring good things. Stratis was OK. He does sometimes take risks but just as you look the other way on bad penalties I will focus more on the positive. I completely disagree with you on Bulitka. He is the most consistent two way player on this team. If you think he is behind the play he is usually the guy who has battled on the boards to get the puck out or has covered an offensive defenseman. He consistently sets players up who if they finished would be game changing jmo. Loved seeing the passion back in Macaulay last night..does anyone know what brought that on..I didn't see the lead up. McGrath would probably like a restart to that game but settled down nicely. Hopefully he can recharge this summer.

Reactions: hockeynorth and cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
If anyone thinks that the Wolves were focused at all last night think again. Last weekend of the year. Some players were out to square things away for the hometown fans. Pilons were tough as nails, Carson had something to prove, Hutch played well had more jump and I think next year he will get more from him, Ross is growing with each game. I agree some players won't be here next year. Here is how I would list the team of importance for those coming back.

1.Pilon
2.Pilon
3.Stratis
4.Murray
5.Ross
6.Carson
7.Nzinikov
8.Hutchison
9.McGrath
10.Levin
11.Bulitka
12.Tabek
13.McConville
14.Candella
15.Baker
16.Serentis
17.Gilhula
18.Frappier
19.Malik
20.Lipanov

Bringing in Byfield and our 2nd pick which should be defence. Should be interesting to see how the Wolves brass deal with the extra bodies come next season.

A loss tonight in Barrie will give Sudbury the number 1 pick!!!

WJ

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: