Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Flint boards are reporting that a large sign is outside the Dort arena Welcome Quinton Byfield. Must be attending tonights game against London.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Flint obviously thinks it's needed if he falls in their laps. Sudbury Wolves have been around a long time.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Flint boards are reporting that a large sign is outside the Dort arena Welcome Quinton Byfield. Must be attending tonights game against London.
Apparently going by the draft thread he was in attendance. Sudbury should be in full tank mode. Crazy if they are not. Byfield could be the first player to score 100 goals in midget since Stamkos. Even if he didn't report the assets for another team to acquire him would be enormous for the Wolves.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Apparently going by the draft thread he was in attendance. Sudbury should be in full tank mode. Crazy if they are not. Byfield could be the first player to score 100 goals in midget since Stamkos. Even if he didn't report the assets for another team to acquire him would be enormous for the Wolves.
Seems the pieces have been put in place however, whenever recent games are close the players go all out for the win. Coaches seem to be placing winning as their first priority. Today's game against the Petes should go a long way in deciding where this team wants to finish. I still believe they would gladly take second last as to avoid having to make a decision on taking Byfield over a defenceman that they so drastically need. What they must also consider that both Chayka and Bokanov are not going to get status for the up coming draft so they would be available in the Euro draft. Flint would get first choice on them if Sudbury plans on taking part in this draft. As they stand now with Malik and Lipinov on the roster they can not participate. Would be my guess that if Sudbury stays with these players and opts out of the draft it could be the first time in any draft in any sport that the team with the first overall pick, if the Wolves were to finish last would forfeit.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If there is any consolation, Drysdale i hear is a Duncan Kieth type player, however hearing he might be using college card. I hear Byfield will report to whoever will draft him, but agents are doing they're best to line him up somewhere else need be. However, my guess without a doubt Sudbury if they have first pick will take Byfield regardless.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
It would be kind of shocking if the wolves give up the euro pick. Some has to do w Tampa. Also they need to evaluate what the ceiling for Malik. Tough decisions ahead which could have some huge implications.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
just something to consider with the Byfield hype. Remember Connor Roberts played in a weaker OMHA loop and put up huge points in minor midget and was a bust for the Bulldogs. Drysdale plays in the best loop against the best teams. As a backup plan, Cuylle who also plays for the Marlies is gonna be a dominant OHL'er. Good luck with the pick and I think your coach has enough cache to attract a top player to commit.

Reactions: i luvallsports

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Connor Roberts may have been a bust for you, but he has played well in Flint. he has scored 15 goals since coming to Flint giving him 18 for the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

cub

Apr 11, 2012
who are the rookies that impressed you the most this year? For me the top 3 were Murray, Ross, and Hutchinson. I will say these players have a good future for the Wolves.

On other note I know everyone wants Byfield, however, I hear Drysdale has closed the gap and is a very close second to Byfield. I would prefer Byfield however i don't think we be disappointed if we got Drysdale.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
who are the rookies that impressed you the most this year? For me the top 3 were Murray, Ross, and Hutchinson. I will say these players have a good future for the Wolves.

On other note I know everyone wants Byfield, however, I hear Drysdale has closed the gap and is a very close second to Byfield. I would prefer Byfield however i don't think we be disappointed if we got Drysdale.

I would agree that Murray, Ross and Hutcheson are the 3 standouts. I didn't mind McConville's play in most games.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I also think those three were the rookie standouts. I thought Hutcheson would score more based on his showing at camp, but that competition was not as great as regular season. I’m fairly certain he can be a legit top 6 F at 19.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Is Marcus Foligno that last wolves player to play 150+ NHL games, none since Mike Foligno was ousted?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Byfield is by far above everyone else.....
By the way the Wolves are winning games they must disagree with you or they would be losing a few to secure that first pick to get him. With are scouting record over the last 4 years, surely they can't be wrong:huh:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
By the way the Wolves are winning games they must disagree with you or they would be losing a few to secure that first pick to get him. With are scouting record over the last 4 years, surely they can't be wrong:huh:

I have to disagree with you. I don’t believe any team goes out there intentionally losing games regardless of their evaluation of players in the upcoming draft. They might tweak their rosters to give them a better chance to lose or change deployment of lines in certain situations but they won’t tell the boys to go easy on the other team tonight. It surely doesn’t mean that they want Drysdale more then Byfield. Plus the players are playing for themselves and they know there are scouts watching every shift. Would players risk their future for the sake of the 1st pick?? I know I wouldn’t!

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I have to disagree with you. I don’t believe any team goes out there intentionally losing games regardless of their evaluation of players in the upcoming draft. They might tweak their rosters to give them a better chance to lose or change deployment of lines in certain situations but they won’t tell the boys to go easy on the other team tonight. It surely doesn’t mean that they want Drysdale more then Byfield. Plus the players are playing for themselves and they know there are scouts watching every shift. Would players risk their future for the sake of the 1st pick?? I know I wouldn’t!

Tweek roster for a better chance to lose?
I dont think I like the sound of that.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Tweek roster for a better chance to lose?
I dont think I like the sound of that.

I don't think you understand what I mean.

I guess you don't want the 1st pick overall this year?

They played Bowan a few times. What was the thought process there? Let the kid come in and compete if we lose because of him no big deal. That's all I'm saying. You're reading way too much into what I wrote

Billoik is saying that we would be losing on purpose if we wanted Byfield and therefore, since we are winning, we prefer Drysdale. I disagree with what he said and used this as an example.

Please don't make more out of what I wrote then that.

Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I don't think you understand what I mean.

I guess you don't want the 1st pick overall this year?

They played Bowan a few times. What was the thought process there? Let the kid come in and compete if we lose because of him no big deal. That's all I'm saying. You're reading way too much into what I wrote

Billoik is saying that we would be losing on purpose if we wanted Byfield and therefore, since we are winning, we prefer Drysdale. I disagree with what he said and used this as an example.

Please don't make more out of what I wrote then that.

Calm down brother. Thanks for the explanation/clarification.

The Bowman call up however really didn't work if your theory is correct. Perhaps he will get another start prior to seasons end.

I agree the team should be giving 100% till their last game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad