Sudbury Wolves 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I wonder if Mr Giffen still believes Matos and gang deserve to be here next season. Time to see what Branch is made of or does Burgess work those strings to. Team was as empty tonight as the owners box the night before. Season ended as it should of demonstrating what they have learned all season, it was certainly applied. Time to step up to the mike Mark before the priority draft if in fact you give a hoot. Any owner who would not act on the message that was delivered tonight should not be an owner.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
the purge

The comments by Matsos that last night's loss will not sit well over the summer are indicative of how far removed the team is from a good coaching staff and ownership. It's not like the 46 losses this season, and the 54 losses last year, don't drive a stake through the heart of all Wolves fans . We are so clearly overmatched from an in game, and teaching perspective every game, it's akin to giving the opposition 2 goal head start . His lack of strategical thinking during many losses is amplified by the fact that he stood behind the bench looking like a deer in the headlights . Hopefully Barclay Branch is the GM with all decision making powers given to that title. We cannot attract top-flight draft picks with the current staff because prospective players and their families see what a train wreck our coaching staff is. Matsos must understand that Wolves fans deserve more than moral victories and cannot honestly believe he will behind the bench next season. It is time for Dave Branch to step in like he is doing in Flint and demand that the team make proper decisions intended to bring a consistent winner to the city. Mark Burgess must get past his enormous ego and realize that under his direction, the team has been a colossal failure. He should sell or be forced to sell by Branch. He has lost the respect of all Wolves fans and should do the honourable thing and sell the franchise to a more competent ownership group.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The comments by Matsos that last night's lost will not sit well over the summer are indicative of how far removed the team is from a good coaching staff and ownership. It's not like the 46 losses this season, and the 54 losses last year, don't drive a stake through the heart of all Wolves fans . We are so clearly overmatched from an in game, and teaching perspective every game, it's akin to giving the opposition 2 goal head start . His lack of strategical thinking during many losses is amplified by the fact that he stood behind the bench looking like a deer in the headlights . Hopefully Barclay Branch is the GM with all decision making powers given to that title. We cannot attract top-flight draft picks with the current staff because prospective players and their families see what a train wreck our coaching staff is. Matsos must understand that Wolves fans deserve more than moral victories and cannot honestly believe he will behind the bench next season. It is time for Dave Branch to step in like he is doing in Flint and demand that the team make proper decisions intended to bring a consistent winner to the city. Mark Burgess must get past his enormous ego and realize that under his direction, the team has been a colossal failure. He should sell or be forced to sell by Branch. He has lost the respect of all Wolves fans and should do the honourable thing and sell the franchise to a more competent ownership group.

So very well stated, you have said it all in a nutshell. The league has the responsibility of making sure a franchise is operating in the best interest of its players and this one has proven it has not since the CB affair. Time for Branch to step in and force this franchise to start living up to league expectations.

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
I have not been on here since I found out that a friend was using my account. Now this is me. I have to post this because I have never been more digested in my life. We are at the Barrie game and to see the CLASSY OA ceremony compared to the absolute embarrassment later night for our 3 OA's and Desrocher in particular. No Burgess and no Edwards family at the game to honour a kid that has been with the team for 5 years. His parents left alone in the players lounge with Bo food and no beverages waiting for instructions. No presentation of flowers to Murphy's parents who made the trip either. How much would a bouquet of flowers, a couple bottles of cheap wine,a fruit and/or veggie tray and pop cost for the families? THIS OWNERSHIP TEAM IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

LBR I think this is the most important Post of the year. I heard about the Barrie Presentation and they said it was World Class NHL Caliber and how they treated their players, parents and families. I mean yes it is a business, but it is how you run the business that people and players notice. Apparently I heard, you can correct me if wrong ? but that after the Game the Barrie people had Aagaard, Murphy and Desrochers join all the Barrie OA players for a group photo and handshake of all 6 OA Players at Center Ice after the game.

If true Barrie Class Act, Owner and GM.. Wolves Fans hear this, nothing and nothing will change no playoffs, no attitude, no more fans in the stands until if and when New Ownership comes to Sudbury. This Franchise has FLINT written all over it, the difference being we are witnessing the destruction of one of the most storied OHL Franchises in History. Wolves Fans Stay away in droves next year like we did this year, as that is what it will take to get real change. Only feel sorry for those players moving forward who will not get the development and respect from a team that they should. As for the OHL Draft this year, do not be surprised if Sudbury's pick does not report.
Enjoy your summer Fans, nothing more worth while posting until if and when Team is sold.

Last edited:

Lanny

May 9, 2012
There is not a chance in hell that Dave Branch forces anything on the Burgess lead Wolves. It may be the right thing to do, but no way it will happen as long as his son is the GM. People may have stayed away from the arena for game time, but the average attendance was in the 3,000's. This number has to be lowered for Burgess to feel any affect from the fans. That number of (phantom) fans is better than some other teams so in a sense it does not hurt the team financially as some would think.
There is very little chance that immediate help comes from the draft. The wolves select second overall, then they have Windsor’s second, so around 35th and no third round pick. They will get a decent first round pick and that is it. Local boys Moskal will be gone, but maybe Danault will be still around. With this in mind, I would think the present coaches should be shown the door and get someone with true OHL experience. I cannot help by think of how he handled Schmalz. Too often he tried to skate through the whole team only to lose the puck and then pout motionless in the corner as the play went the other way. And two or three shifts later, Schmalz is right back out there to do it again. I would respect the coach more if he had the balls to bench players that are not performing and pull goaltenders who just do not have it.
There will be pressure on Branch to acquire OHL players over the summer. I would think a few trades will be made after the draft and before training camp. The wolves cannot go into another year with the core of defense they have now. Wolves fans have a few week of interest up until the draft(s), then it is a long summer. Let’s hope the new arena is built on the Kingsway and the city tears the old one down. Burgess won’t have a sweet deal from private owners and you never know. Burgess may just want to leave with the old barn. Things can only get better????

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
If Branch's son reports that he is being interfered with in anyway, you can be certain that Branch will get involved. However, if there is a certain OA defenceman that comes back, you know that will be an owners decision because, as Lanny noted, the defense needs to be rebuilt through draft and trades and neither prospective OA is in the top 4 of this defence. I hope the GM will be allowed to make hockey decisions over the summer as the trades he has made so far have worked out well. Need to sign some prospects and pick up a better OA defenceman.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
David Branch is the ohl commissioner & chl president; he cannot afford to contribute to the issue of nepotism in this league just because his boy wasn't granted the power of owner/president/director of player personnel/head scout early in his first term as a GM.
You can be certain Barclay will do something about the D; just look at the core of D the Bulls/Bulldogs assembled over the previous 3 seasons. Or put another way, how that team was built. Just remember, the majority of even the very best D don't have much of an impact until their 3rd & 4th season of eligibility.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I'm assuming the coach has been told he's returning due to his comments in the S.S. Will he be blindsided by a firing?

Does anyone have the lists of the wolves picks in the upcoming draft?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I can see the wolves trying to move picks/future picks to get one in the 3rd round or another 2nd prior to the draft. Even with the way it is, the wolves are in a good position to rebuild the D over two years given there are enough returning players and signed prospects to fill the roster.
I'd like to see a '99 born import D added. Two 17 yr old rookie D (Ali) seems like the right amount to break in, in one season. Use the 2nd & two of the 2(4ths&5ths) on D to have for 2017-18 after a year in jr A, leaving the wolves the luxury of selecting Nizhinikov with their 2 over all pick.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I'm assuming the coach has been told he's returning due to his comments in the S.S. Will he be blindsided by a firing?

Does anyone have the lists of the wolves picks in the upcoming draft?

I could imagine complete turmoil if this coaching staff returns next season, firstly Branch would have his hands full convincing drafted players to report and I could see more than a few players wanting out. Could you imagine Branch making the pitch to our drafted players, well, Matos and company took us from last place a year ago to second last place this season with a better team than a year ago.

Hockeyfriend

Nov 8, 2011
I could imagine complete turmoil if this coaching staff returns next season, firstly Branch would have his hands full convincing drafted players to report and I could see more than a few players wanting out. Could you imagine Branch making the pitch to our drafted players, well, Matos and company took us from last place a year ago to second last place this season with a better team than a year ago.

Although they improved by one place in the standings from year to year, would look at the result of the team specifically from year to year:

Year Wins Points GF GA Net diff
2015-16 16 38 183 328 -145
2014-15 12 26 149 323 -174

Really not much different given the BIG changes they made this season and the layers they relied on.
What I have seen and heard was how the team was fragmented from the start. There is a pecking order, no matter where you get drafted. Rookies have small tasks to perform off the ice, etc. This was not the case this year. Rookies had no rules to follow and were allowed to speak out of turn whenever they felt like it.

This caused plenty of smaller groups to form inside the team which caused little unity. There was far too much individuals on this team and were only here for themselves. One instance was Levin when he scored last weekend when they Wolves were already down by 5-6 goals against Barrie...he celebrated like he won the Stanley Cup. Little things like that show where they are at.
I like Levin and will be a great player, but needs the right mentorship, whether it be a veteran player or a coaching staff.

Just my observation and hearing things once the season ended.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thank you. Unfortunately were not behind the scenes to understand their reasoning for having him return behind the bench. Perhaps its just a matter of talent.

You're welcome.
I'm not sure I understand the rest of your post though. Talent, as in the developing youth; or, available coaches? If Matsos is returning, I would think it's a combination of him being under contract, a lack of a potentially elite coach looking for a job, and not having any real chance of success with the 2015-16 roster. You have to admit that team was completely over matched lines one through three, at least. Add to that a team save % in the neighbourhood of 0.875...300+ GA

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
You're welcome.
I'm not sure I understand the rest of your post though. Talent, as in the developing youth; or, available coaches? If Matsos is returning, I would think it's a combination of him being under contract, a lack of a potentially elite coach looking for a job, and not having any real chance of success with the 2015-16 roster. You have to admit that team was completely over matched lines one through three, at least. Add to that a team save % in the neighbourhood of 0.875...300+ GA

With that roster the best coach would probably squeeze out a few more wins at best. Im not a coach or in ohl management. I simply don't know. I just want this team to perform better so we can have positive things to talk about. A team the city can be proud of, know what I mean..

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

I don't think so. Kids want a chance to play and get noticed. Sudbury allows that with the roster changing so much year to year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With that roster the best coach would probably squeeze out a few more wins at best. Im not a coach or in ohl management. I simply don't know. I just want this team to perform better so we can have positive things to talk about. A team the city can be proud of, know what I mean..

Yes I do

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I don't think so. Kids want a chance to play and get noticed. Sudbury allows that with the roster changing so much year to year.

Agents want to see development from year to year which of course betters their chances of being drafted. Players are not developing who are drafted by Sudbury under the present coaches, in fact their stock is heading south. The kids are learning more in their minor midget year. Burgess has to decide,am I content to own a chip wagon? Schmalz will be an interesting watch as he heads to the AHL for the remainder of the year. Will be interesting to see how he performs with qualified coaching. This should be an eye opener.

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
Apparently I heard, you can correct me if wrong ? but that after the Game the Barrie people had Aagaard, Murphy and Desrochers join all the Barrie OA players for a group photo and handshake of all 6 OA Players at Center Ice after the game.

If true Barrie Class Act, Owner and GM..

CeAA1ufWEAIf5ad.jpg

One of the coolest things ive seen (credit to @staples1311 on twitter)

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Someone please send that pic to our owner. No representative of the Burgess family was present for our home ceremonies imagine the families, billets and teammates were quite impressed. We are a chip stand among fine restaurants. Shame on this organization for the way it treats the players let alone the fans.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Rate of development under the present coaches vs the rate under the leagues' finest coaches such as; Knoblauch, Hunter, Hawerchuk, and McFarland would be fair. If such a coach becomes available, 10 teams will be battling for his services. An out of the blue hire such as Keefe's hiring in the Soo would not appease many of wolves' fans.
You can keep saying kids will not get drafted under these coaches, and I'll keep stating that factory to the NHL closed shop when Foligno was pushed out for his old school ways.
Whether or not anyone wants to admit it; Pezzetta, Cummins, and Mayo all improved. They were completely dominated by the league's best lines; but, early next season it will be clear that all are better players for it. O'Grady and Carson were more gradually eased into stiffer competition, their play had drastically improved as the season went on. Schmalz and Valentini became less selfish players, Lyszczarczyk improved steadily, and the Sokolov that thought he would show and be a star is now well on his way to becoming one.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Agents want to see development from year to year which of course betters their chances of being drafted. Players are not developing who are drafted by Sudbury under the present coaches, in fact their stock is heading south. The kids are learning more in their minor midget year. Burgess has to decide,am I content to own a chip wagon? Schmalz will be an interesting watch as he heads to the AHL for the remainder of the year. Will be interesting to see how he performs with qualified coaching. This should be an eye opener.

Agents do care to an extent about coaching, players and parents? Not at all, they are not educated enough on the comings and goings of the league, they live in a bubble.

I think Sudbury will be fine as far as guys reporting this year, have not heard anything to suggest otherwise.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Agents do care to an extent about coaching, players and parents? Not at all, they are not educated enough on the comings and goings of the league, they live in a bubble.

I think Sudbury will be fine as far as guys reporting this year, have not heard anything to suggest otherwise.

This is correct. Players are treated well and with respect by the coaches and GM and team is improving, albeit slower then fans like. There were issues in previous years but those issues have mostly disappeared.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
This is correct. Players are treated well and with respect by the coaches and GM and team is improving, albeit slower then fans like. There were issues in previous years but those issues have mostly disappeared.

Id much rather have my players play under the current coach then the previous one. Well see if thats still the case next year, but I dont think its at 'avoid' levels yet.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Rate of development under the present coaches vs the rate under the leagues' finest coaches such as; Knoblauch, Hunter, Hawerchuk, and McFarland would be fair. If such a coach becomes available, 10 teams will be battling for his services. An out of the blue hire such as Keefe's hiring in the Soo would not appease many of wolves' fans.
You can keep saying kids will not get drafted under these coaches, and I'll keep stating that factory to the NHL closed shop when Foligno was pushed out for his old school ways.
Whether or not anyone wants to admit it; Pezzetta, Cummins, and Mayo all improved. They were completely dominated by the league's best lines; but, early next season it will be clear that all are better players for it. O'Grady and Carson were more gradually eased into stiffer competition, their play had drastically improved as the season went on. Schmalz and Valentini became less selfish players, Lyszczarczyk improved steadily, and the Sokolov that thought he would show and be a star is now well on his way to becoming one.
Just think how much more they would have improved under skilled coaches. I could not agree with you more, they improved with no systems and basically just their own raw talent. This team is capable of so much more and with proper direction we may just see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad