Sudbury Wolves 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Just counting the number of local kids in the line up is all...

We have strongest group of 2000 births in Northern Ontario, I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves don't draft them because they are incompetent. It maybe a good thing not getting drafted by Sudbury, because local kids seem to do well on other teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just counting the number of local kids in the line up is all...

Pretty sure there are bumper crops coming from the north due the latest mining boom. With a potential half dozen players drafted from NOHA, I'll guess NB & Sudbury will make an attempt. I know BS has seen a lot of games.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We have strongest group of 2000 births in Northern Ontario, I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves don't draft them because they are incompetent. It maybe a good thing not getting drafted by Sudbury, because local kids seem to do well on other teams.

I was surprised the wolves didn't take chenier with their late 3rd or early 4th considering it was implied the wolves needed to tougher to play against. Still, you can't select a player too far from your rankings just because they are local; that would be incompetent.

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
Draft The Best Talent - Local or Not

I doubt the wolves have a no draft of local talent philosophy...in fact I think the wolves have amongst northern teams have drafted the most northern Ontario talent the past decade...Saying that I think you draft the BEST TALENT available, regardless of the kid being local or not... if they are of the same talent level by all means draft local...​

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NOHA now 2-1 with a game against the Marlboroughs to likely decide 2nd in division. A tie/tie break looks close right now.
Teriault (Soo) scored 3 in a 4-0 win today

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Like it has been stated, Matos and company are nice guys, but nice guys finish last. The team effort in the last ten games is a real message by the players how much they want these guys back next year. Would it be safe to assume they are playing for the coaches jobs? Time for the coaches to cowboy up and take the blame for just how little effect they had on this team. Burgess knew what he was hiring and refused to open up the wallet for the sake of the fans. Hopefully we come to the end of another chapter of the nightmare on Elgin street.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wanna sell season tickets, hello Mike Yeo! Bring him home...

Would be nice and add Todd Bertuzzi to the mix and we would surely get his son Tag next season. That would make sense so forget about that scenario until Burgess is committed to winning.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NOHA suffered a 3-1 loss to the Marlboroughs. Their only hope of advancing now would be a 2 or 3 goal loss by the Marlboroughs later today.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
NOHA suffered a 3-1 loss to the Marlboroughs. Their only hope of advancing now would be a 2 or 3 goal loss by the Marlboroughs later today.

the big guns for NOHA, except for Denault, haven't scored. I guess it takes some time to play with new teammates.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
the big guns for NOHA, except for Denault, haven't scored. I guess it takes some time to play with teammates.

Yep. From what I saw though, the coaches tried keeping players that were familiar with each other together rather than making two power lines.
I do really like Denault; I would like to see the wolves draft the RW. Theriault & Moskal & Jacklin probably produced as much as could be expected too. Giroux was player of game which Theriault scored a natural hat trick.
Even if the NOHA does not advance, they faired well. They beat #9? ranked souther tier by 4, beat a Michigan based team of selects, and lost to #3 ranked Marlboroughs by 2(EN).

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Yep. From what I saw though, the coaches tried keeping players that were familiar with each other together rather than making two power lines.
I do really like Denault; I would like to see the wolves draft the RW. Theriault & Moskal & Jacklin probably produced as much as could be expected too. Giroux was player of game which Theriault scored a natural hat trick.
Even if the NOHA does not advance, they faired well. They beat #9? ranked souther tier by 4, beat a Michigan based team of selects, and lost to #3 ranked Marlboroughs by 2(EN).

yes, a couple of bad penalties from NOHA, (especially the 5 on 3) , did them in. Marliies PP very strong.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Would be nice and add Todd Bertuzzi to the mix and we would surely get his son Tag next season. That would make sense so forget about that scenario until Burgess is committed to winning.
I do not think he can be drafted intill next year because there is not going to be a exceptional status granted to anyone this year. As for Tod, I think the Storm have there eyes on him. He lives in Kitchener. Had been on the ice in Guelph before helping in practices.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

Be nice, but i can't see this happening. I see Yeo getting on an NHL team as a Head Coach or Assistant somewhere, maybe teaming up with Blysma again. I think Bertuzzi will have plan for him and his son but won't be in Sudbury. Bertuzzi family have common connection with Guelph.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I do not think he can be drafted intill next year because there is not going to be a exceptional status granted to anyone this year. As for Tod, I think the Storm have there eyes on him. He lives in Kitchener. Had been on the ice in Guelph before helping in practices.

Good insight

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Good effort by the Wolves last night, and great atmosphere in the arena. Exciting to think about this team next year and the year after with the young pieces that are in place. Let's just hope they'll address the OA situation, but may be status quo.

It has always mildly annoyed me that the Wolves' announcer does not state the number of goals scored by a visiting goal scorer when announcing the goal. But last night, when a visiting player hits the 50 goal marker, you'd think the milestone would be recognized, even if simply by stating "his 50th goal of the season...". Or is it just me?

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
Effort and OA Next Year ?

Good effort by the Wolves last night, and great atmosphere in the arena. Exciting to think about this team next year and the year after with the young pieces that are in place. Let's just hope they'll address the OA situation, but may be status quo.

Staubitz, well said the Effort was great last night and the Old Barn sounded a bit like it did 4 years ago. But still so far to go. The elephant in the room that I have said to all posters on this board, is the Wolves OA situation next year. No one can complain about the combined effort, talent of Aagaard, Murphy and Desrochers who got a combined 52 Goals and 69 Assists for a combined total of 121 Points. Where do we make up that production next year ??

Are you telling me, you will get that kind of production from Meyer 9 Points, Cummins 6 Points and Schmalz 30 Points for a Grande Total of 45 Points Yikes !!!
So anyone out there care to say how and what they will do to address what is the most pressing issue with the OA situation, or if they do not. then they have no hope in Hell of making the playoffs again for the 3rd straight year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Staubitz, well said the Effort was great last night and the Old Barn sounded a bit like it did 4 years ago. But still so far to go. The elephant in the room that I have said to all posters on this board, is the Wolves OA situation next year. No one can complain about the combined effort, talent of Aagaard, Murphy and Desrochers who got a combined 52 Goals and 69 Assists for a combined total of 121 Points. Where do we make up that production next year ??

Are you telling me, you will get that kind of production from Meyer 9 Points, Cummins 6 Points and Schmalz 30 Points for a Grande Total of 45 Points Yikes !!!
So anyone out there care to say how and what they will do to address what is the most pressing issue with the OA situation, or if they do not. then they have no hope in Hell of making the playoffs again for the 3rd straight year.

The OAs this season were less than league average. Do I think a group consisting of a high import pick, Schmalz, Cummins, & Meyer is better than Derochers, Murphy & Aagard(OA/import)? Absolutely.
However, I doubt the wolves have room for 3(OAs) given the amount of returning players and high picks
The offense will come from Lyszarczyk & Sokolov (6&7) in rookie scoring & Levin (#1 in '99 pts/g, I think) & Valentini & a veteran Pezzetta.

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
The OAs this season were less than league average. Do I think a group consisting of a high import pick, Schmalz, Cummins, & Meyer is better than Derochers, Murphy & Aagard(OA/import)? Absolutely.
However, I doubt the wolves have room for 3(OAs) given the amount of returning players and high picks
The offense will come from Lyszarczyk & Sokolov (6&7) in rookie scoring & Levin (#1 in '99 pts/g, I think) & Valentini & a veteran Pezzetta.

Sorry dirty 12, but have to disagree with you. How is your Math ?, I mean 15 points between Cummins and Meyer and you think that would be better than Aagaard, Murphy and Derochers ?? Pass the Ketchcup please cause my fires are getting cold.

Glad you are not the GM but you say OA Import ?? Well if you get an OA Import who puts up 50 goals and 50 assists then maybe just maybe I might agree with you. Can you tell me where you plan to get that 100 Point Import guy ? Maybe Andre Burakovsky (Opps I forgot) he is now in the NHL with the Washington Capitals, too bad !!!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sorry dirty 12, but have to disagree with you. How is your Math ?, I mean 15 points between Cummins and Meyer and you think that would be better than Aagaard, Murphy and Derochers ?? Pass the Ketchcup please cause my fires are getting cold.

Glad you are not the GM but you say OA Import ?? Well if you get an OA Import who puts up 50 goals and 50 assists then maybe just maybe I might agree with you. Can you tell me where you plan to get that 100 Point Import guy ? Maybe Andre Burakovsky (Opps I forgot) he is now in the NHL with the Washington Capitals, too bad !!!

My math is ok Icewolves, I was a student of statistical economics and physics post secondary. I am not simply comparing scoring between Murphy and say, Lebanc or Garlent.
Dude, the OA/import was Aagard. The high pick import is what is coming.
Again, I doubt the wolves can afford 3 OAs; so, odds are we won't be able to substantiate our disagreement at the end of next season. For argument sake, I will say the size factor alone is a win. Picture a 19 yr old Valentini in the middle of 6'3" 215 lb 20 yr Cummins, 6'9" 240lb 20 yr Meyer, 6'6" 215lb 20 yr Schmalz, and a shiny new big 2-way import! IMO, Murphy isn't nearly the player Schmalz is; Deroshers & Cummins are just two good citizens that work hard defensively; and, Aagard is not so good that he adds up to a high import pick and a useful giant.
And, keep flaming your fires with ketchup!?:)

Last edited:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Schmalz can come back and be useful in the right spot, which is being strong on the puck in the offensive end, not trying to carry the puck through the team on his own. There should be no room for the other two OA's. Need to acquire new ones

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That, I can agree with; there's just too many returnees, prospects, and high picks to be rostering mediocre OAs. Schmalz, I would welcome back if he shows the right mind set. If he indicates that he would welcome an OA year so that he could have the oppurtunity to improve his over all skill set and lead his team by example, he's in; if he's of the opinion that he's there to be the offensive catalyst, sorry Matt.
Cummins will be useful as an OA somewhere though. <-- I'd better add to that:) after 4 years in the league, the last 1.5 as an overmatched shut down guy with little help from his over matched forwards and 45-55 of the league's best forwards graduating, year 5 will seem easy.

Last edited:

lets be real

Nov 26, 2014
I have not been on here since I found out that a friend was using my account. Now this is me. I have to post this because I have never been more digested in my life. We are at the Barrie game and to see the CLASSY OA ceremony compared to the absolute embarrassment later night for our 3 OA's and Desrocher in particular. No Burgess and no Edwards family at the game to honour a kid that has been with the team for 5 years. His parents left alone in the players lounge with Bo food and no beverages waiting for instructions. No presentation of flowers to Murphy's parents who made the trip either. How much would a bouquet of flowers, a couple bottles of cheap wine,a fruit and/or veggie tray and pop cost for the families? THIS OWNERSHIP TEAM IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

woofer

Apr 1, 2014
...Murphy's....

I have not been on here since I found out that a friend was using my account. Now this is me. I have to post this because I have never been more digested in my life. We are at the Barrie game and to see the CLASSY OA ceremony compared to the absolute embarrassment later night for our 3 OA's and Desrocher in particular. No Burgess and no Edwards family at the game to honour a kid that has been with the team for 5 years. His parents left alone in the players lounge with Bo food and no beverages waiting for instructions. No presentation of flowers to Murphy's parents who made the trip either. How much would a bouquet of flowers, a couple bottles of cheap wine,a fruit and/or veggie tray and pop cost for the families? THIS OWNERSHIP TEAM IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE
.....woaaaa.....11-4.....what an absolute and utter annihilation...so you think you fix a disaster like this with a few draft picks??....really??...did the Barrie Colts actually ice their A players tonight??....woofer....p.s....speaking of Murphy's law....when it comes to this bunch......what can go wrong will ALWAYS go wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad