Sudbury Wolves 2015-16 Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Good luck to Connor Ali & St. Andrews in the national independant school championship today. A win would be nice way to close out what must have a gruelling 68 game schedule to high school kids.
There are 13 kids on the roster drafted to the ohl & qmjhl and/or have university commitments. SAC has a very impressive program.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Levin & McCauley are honourable mentions in Brock's list of top 10 impressive '99 born rookies.:handclap:

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Levin & McCauley are honourable mentions in Brock's list of top 10 impressive '99 born rookies.:handclap:
Let's just hope they have a better year next year, health and talent wise. Levin, being first pick overall, should have showed much more ability than he did.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
For any Wolves fans interested, here is our Sudbury Wolves Prospects Report,

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/sudbury-wolves-prospects-report/

*The Wolves report does not have Scouting Reports included, although I am in the process of writing them out and they will be added over the course of the next handful of days. As always questions/comments are welcome and can be asked in this thread or directed to the twitter handle included in the article. Enjoy !

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
worst +/- in the league

+/- League rank:

533 D Kyle Capobianco SBY -37
534 C Dmitry Sokolov SBY -37
535 RW Jake Bricknell GUE -38
536 C Michael Pezzetta SBY -40
537 LW Danny Desrochers SBY -40
538 D Noah Carroll GUE -41
539 D Mathieu Henderson FLNT -42
540 D Conor Cummins SBY -46
541 D C.J. Garcia GUE -46
542 RW Matt Schmalz SBY -52
543 D Cole Mayo SBY -59

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
+/- League rank:

533 D Kyle Capobianco SBY -37
534 C Dmitry Sokolov SBY -37
535 RW Jake Bricknell GUE -38
536 C Michael Pezzetta SBY -40
537 LW Danny Desrochers SBY -40
538 D Noah Carroll GUE -41
539 D Mathieu Henderson FLNT -42
540 D Conor Cummins SBY -46
541 D C.J. Garcia GUE -46
542 RW Matt Schmalz SBY -52
543 D Cole Mayo SBY -59

Impressive shut down group in Desroshers, Pezzetta, Schmalz, Cummins, & Mayo:laugh: If they were able to finish the season, some combination of Sokolov, Garagan, Valentini, Murphy, Capobianco, Wilkie & O'Grady would have been far worse.
About 100 graduating (OA & best 19yr olds) should help.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Stu Giffen, and you feel the same coaches deserve to be back next year. Timpano gets all the flack because of stats like this. Did the stat tracker not record these stats, or was it on mute? Like Butler said, you have to know what to do with the stats, obviously these guys did not.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Stu Giffen, and you feel the same coaches deserve to be back next year. Timpano gets all the flack because of stats like this. Did the stat tracker not record these stats, or was it on mute? Like Butler said, you have to know what to do with the stats, obviously these guys did not.

I've never once said I think the same coaches deserve to be back. I've said spotty netminding and smallish & unseasoned forwards have more to do with the god awful GA than Matsos does. If it were up to me, the hunt would be on for the next available coach with a good track record, and a strong personality to stabalize things. Some one like Knoblauch, McFarland, or McGill.
Having said that, I would not fire Matsos until that coach came along. I honestly don't think Matsos stood a chance with all the rookies and 2nd yr players on this year's roster.
Oh yeah, I've also said Matsos could not be fairly judged before Christmas '16

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wolves have five of the first 60 prospects among Mackers list of top 210 prospects, including unsigned & uncommitted Cameron Searles. That's not bad.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
You said that Connor Ali team plays Jake McGrath team, and show how clueless you are, stop back tracking. I'm sure there is a St. Michael high School team because they have a great tradition in hockey, up to an OHL team few years back. You can't compare posh high school league to the Ontario Junior Hockey League, whichis the best junior league in Ontario and one the best in Canada.

Haha. You've got to be kidding....maybe 10 years ago.

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
Impressive shut down group in Desroshers, Pezzetta, Schmalz, Cummins, & Mayo:laugh: If they were able to finish the season, some combination of Sokolov, Garagan, Valentini, Murphy, Capobianco, Wilkie & O'Grady would have been far worse.
About 100 graduating (OA & best 19yr olds) should help.

Actaully Dirty12, Valentini and Murphy have far better + - numbers than the one's you mentioned, so not sure where you get your stats from and throw in Aagaard as well. Glad Valentini is back next year, but with the Wolves OA situation next year, we will miss Murphy and Aagaard big time, not sure where we make up for their production, with Meyer and Cummins ?

Only thing Wolves get next year , is another First or Second Round Pick. Then hopefully MB wil finally sell the team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Aagard was the best two-way forward for sure. Matsos probably wanted to use him and the hot scorers to play against the softer lines.
As for +/-, that total is impacted by who you play against. Not putting Valentini out against the oppositions best was the right choice.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I've never once said I think the same coaches deserve to be back. I've said spotty netminding and smallish & unseasoned forwards have more to do with the god awful GA than Matsos does. If it were up to me, the hunt would be on for the next available coach with a good track record, and a strong personality to stabalize things. Some one like Knoblauch, McFarland, or McGill.
Having said that, I would not fire Matsos until that coach came along. I honestly don't think Matsos stood a chance with all the rookies and 2nd yr players on this year's roster.
Oh yeah, I've also said Matsos could not be fairly judged before Christmas '16

Sorry, type error meant to post, Stu, do you feel the same coaches deserve to be back next year?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sorry, type error meant to post, Stu, do you feel the same coaches deserve to be back next year?

I still wonder how he deserved the job in the first place. He was under contract, I guess. I do think his record reflects the competiveness of the roster

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Haha. You've got to be kidding....maybe 10 years ago.

You can say the same of the OHL, except for the same elite teams in the league, IMO not has strong in the last few years. OJHL is not as strong it was before but it still best in Ontario.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You can say the same of the OHL, except for the same elite teams in the league, IMO not has strong in the last few years. OJHL is not as strong it was before but it still best in Ontario.

Based only on the number & spot of 1st round NHL picks last year and ranks for the upcoming draft, I would say the ohl has been stronger the last few years.
In comparison to other leagues, that is. The US & Finland are producing a lot of high end prospects of late. Hockey Canada should be looking at new ways to raise $ for developing players. It's really become a sport for high income earning families. I know parents paying about $5000 to have 14/15 yr olds trained off season, one paid $10 000! for a goalie coach.
I'm sure it's got everything to do with the tax system; but, Michigan has programs like Belle tire, Honeybaked, & Little Ceasars. Some thing like Glencore Hardrock 'minors' would do wonders for developing players from NE Ontario.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The OJ is not even the best league in Ontario.

There's little doubt the ojhl is the #1 jr league in Ontario, mostly due to populations where the teams play. Unfortunately, Ontario jr leagues are watered down due a lack of corporate funding and a complete lack of consumer interest. A good market in Oakville draws 400-600, while Penticton (BCHL) draws 2000-2200. What you have in Ontario is some of the best players available playing at schools, or close to home. For that reason, the USHL, BCHL, & Alberta will be better than the OJHL.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NOHA is off to a 1-1 start at the ohl cup. I can for see five forwards from that team drafted in April. I'd be happy if the wolves are lucky enough to be able to select Moskal in the 2nd and Denault 4th. That might be wishful thinking on both.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
NOHA is off to a 1-1 start at the ohl cup. I can for see five forwards from that team drafted in April. I'd be happy if the wolves are lucky enough to be able to select Moskal in the 2nd and Denault 4th. That might be wishful thinking on both.

Would have been possible to get Moskal if we would have retained our second round pic. Wolves should be looking at Littlejohn with their second if he is still their.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Would have been possible to get Moskal if we would have retained our second round pic. Wolves should be looking at Littlejohn with their second if he is still their.

Littlejohn is? Giroux? He likely won't be around more than a few picks after Moskal. The wolves have Levin, Valentini, & Garagan; they cannot afford to draft another similar player.

JimmyBeam

Oct 20, 2014
Littlejohn is? Giroux? He likely won't be around more than a few picks after Moskal. The wolves have Levin, Valentini, & Garagan; they cannot afford to draft another similar player.

The owner wants nothing to do with drafting local since the failed career of CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad