Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
People forget it is only his second season of playing much at this level, after looking great in the AHL for a few years.

I remember when people called hasek, a great regular season goalie that was less in the playoffs. But a bit of time and moving to a great team made people forget how many wrote him off.

One mediocre rookie playoff series that loses to a cup winner, is not strong evidence that he won't be good in the playoffs

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he doesn’t sign any goalie that season we all would’ve lost our minds. He had to sign someone not his fault campbell Is awful.
The search for a goalie should have started before the off season when he signed Campbell. By extending Smith (a goalie with a very limited shelf life) he painted himself into a corner.
That forced his hand in an off season where there were not a lot of good options.
He signed junk and he spent a lot of money and term for that junk. It was a direct result of his decision making prior to that.
Holland only has himself to blame.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Impressive run for Skinner who has taken a team record from a Hall of Fame goaltender regarded as one of the best money tenders in the game's history. What catches my ear is the head coach saying that Skinners demeanour hasn't changed at all from the extreme ditch this team was in through to this team record winning streak. At the heart of great goaltending is a rock solid mental mindset with resiliency, grit and belief.

Skinner has evolved quickly from a projected rookie back-up apprentice behind a veteran guy brought in to be a #1 through this team's winning window. Now he's ridden through the team's elevator drop to deliver strong, consistent goaltending including stepping up to win games. The final, missing piece for this team to be a legitimate Cup contender has been about its ability and willingness, commitment and consistency at team defending and goal suppression. It's looking positive that this final component has come together including an emerging young goaltender as the last line of defense. Much credit to Skinner who stepped into the abyss which could have easily destroyed a lesser mentally frail young player.

Some credit also to the goalie coach.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Friedman just mentioned Skinner in the Team Canada Goalie Conversation of 32 Thoughts. Him and Marek said it's probably Binnington right now, but in a year from now it could be Skinner.

Reactions: Oilers88

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's been playing much better lately but is Canada that thin in goal?
I don't know what you mean, but I guess?

Adin Hill
Connor Ingram
Tristian Jarry
Stuart Skinner
Jordan Binnington
Logan Thompson (Hill doesn't look the starter this year)

Are (more or less) the top Canadian goalies in save%

So he'll be in the mix.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't know what you mean, but I guess?

Adin Hill
Connor Ingram
Tristian Jarry
Stuart Skinner
Jordan Binnington
Logan Thompson (Hill doesn't look the starter this year)

Are (more or less) the top Canadian goalies in save%

So he'll be in the mix.
Barring a drastic change, I'd say Hill, Jarry, and Skinner should be the 3 goalies.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Canada in goal is weak compared to how we were historically, so I assume they will just pick the three hottest goalies from that list at selection time and go with it.

As a result skinner has a good chance to be taken as his hot and cold steaks are not as drastic nor as bad as many other goalies.

WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Aug 26, 2018

2nd star of the month for January where he didn't lose

MacKinnon has a great month, no question, but I think they picked him as #1 so he didn't pout at the all-star game

there's nothing wrong with that. If mcdavid went 2+ points per game and didnt get the first star we would have our pitchforks out

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Beyond how incredible he has been during this stretch, he's now up to .910 on the season. Here are his stats in both the AHL and NHL the last 3 seasons:

1706832520718.png

He's up to 98 NHL games played with a .912 save percentage, and his year over year stats are shockingly consistent. "Skin Daddy" is rounding into a pretty reliable starter.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Beyond how incredible he has been during this stretch, he's now up to .910 on the season. Here are his stats in both the AHL and NHL the last 3 seasons:

View attachment 813745

He's up to 98 NHL games played with a .912 save percentage, and his year over year stats are shockingly consistent. "Skin Daddy" is rounding into a pretty reliable starter.

Weird. I was once told at the advanced age of 25 that no improvement was possible.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

View attachment 813745

He's had great progression over the years. It's nice to see a goalie finally pan out after years of watching goalie prospects fizzle out (e.g, Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz, Ilya Konovalov, and many others), especially a home-town guy.

He's this generation's Glen Anderson moustache energy guy, too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad