Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just hope they don't rely on him too hard and give Pickard some starts too.
That and it helps us understand our goaltending situation. Even if you do trade for another goalie a more proven Pickard gets you something at the deadline as you have to think he doesn't clear waivers. Unless they decide to run 3 goalies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Skinner should change his name to Skinnerov so he can finally get some respect from the doubters.
lol maybe, he's changing my mind with his performance over the last couple of weeks.

I, frankly, saw a different goaltender last night, he provided the saves, and more, that the team Needed.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I don’t see potential, slowest goalie in league, worst rebound control I have ever seen. It make the game an adventure and if our defense aren’t playing an almost perfect game he’s letting in goals. They bail him out way too often. He should be bailing them out.

Playoffs he will get lit up like a Christmas tree again due to rebound control
I would have thought after how your last months posts have aged about as well as raw fish left in a sauna that you would have stopped to save face.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That and it helps us understand our goaltending situation. Even if you do trade for another goalie a more proven Pickard gets you something at the deadline as you have to think he doesn't clear waivers. Unless they decide to run 3 goalies.
I would definitely give Pickard a start or two next week against Columbus and/or Chicago.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would have thought after how your last months posts have aged about as well as raw fish left in a sauna that you would have stopped to save face.
Top 5 goalie in the League since Knoblauch took over.

In the last 17 games...15 wins and 2 losses.
November 0.932 sv% in 4 games
December 0.915 sv% in 8 games
January 0.958 sv% in 5 games

Just imagine how good he would be if he could move and his rebound control wasnt atrocious. :D

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Doing the thing we all asked for, just make the saves when the team needs them. He's looking great and the team looks that much better because of it.
It's a 3-2 league, you allow less than 3 goals you stand a very good chance of winning, especially with the firepower this team has.

The lack of credit he's getting for this win streak is annoying but not surprising. Of course, he needs to perform when it truly matters so I understand that some people are taking a more measured approach.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's a 3-2 league, you allow less than 3 goals you stand a very good chance of winning, especially with the firepower this team has.

The lack of credit he's getting for this win streak is annoying but not surprising. Of course, he needs to perform when it truly matters so I understand that some people are taking a more measured approach.
Agreed, and I was there a bit at the start, but you can't be mad at Skinner for "not" being something, he is who he is, and who is appears to be an effective NHL goalie that gives the team a chance to win every night. Which is ALL this team has ever needed.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Dustin Schwartz. I shat on him a lot but Stewie is looking like what I imagine Grant Fuhr was like back in the day (lets in the first couple but shuts the door the rest of the way). What are they doing differently? Did they give him permission to let in the first few as long as he closes the door the rest of the way? Or is it rest? Or is it the defensive system?

Or did Knob/Coff step in and give Stewie or Dusty some pointers?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed, and I was there a bit at the start, but you can't be mad at Skinner for "not" being something, he is who he is, and who is appears to be an effective NHL goalie that gives the team a chance to win every night. Which is ALL this team has ever needed.
Right, he's not supposed to be the starter at this juncture but he's been thrust into the role... again.

I'd be happy to never see Campbell again. That contract needs to vanish by any means necessary.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Right, he's not supposed to be the starter at this juncture but he's been thrust into the role... again.

I'd be happy to never see Campbell again. That contract needs to vanish by any means necessary.
I've been banging this drum for a while, I would keep calling Chicago, if I was Holland and Co, until they take him.

Reactions: Porkleaker

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Definitely concerned that they are going to overwork him. I hope they don't keep playing him to keep the streak alive. You gotta think Pickard will be playing either Columbus or Chicago.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Dustin Schwartz. I shat on him a lot but Stewie is looking like what I imagine Grant Fuhr was like back in the day (lets in the first couple but shuts the door the rest of the way). What are they doing differently? Did they give him permission to let in the first few as long as he closes the door the rest of the way? Or is it rest? Or is it the defensive system?

Or did Knob/Coff step in and give Stewie or Dusty some pointers?
I think its a lot about the defensive system and also his level of confidence in himself and what was going on (the chaotic defenisve execution) in front of him.
For me its a little like trying to play a position in a team sport when you cant rely on the players around you to do their job properly. You lose the structure in your game by over compensating and then you quickly lose confidence.
Thats IMO was happening to Skinner early on. Really tough for a rookie goalie to find his game when there is chaos happening in front of him virtually every game.
I think that the coaching change (and the embarrassment of losing so badly) snapped this team to attention. Sometimes new voices make a difference too. They responded and started committing to the hard work required to play with structure. No more exiting the zone early...no more lazy backchecking and lazy line changes. It helped that both Knoblauch and Coffey tweaked a few things as well.
So IMO it had very little to do with Schwartz. He was and is just an easy target.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoneman89

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Definitely concerned that they are going to overwork him. I hope they don't keep playing him to keep the streak alive. You gotta think Pickard will be playing either Columbus or Chicago.
KK has said numerous times that he will play a lot in January and then it will get cut down post ALl-Star break. At least he isn't getting peppered though.

Reactions: nabob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not worried about Skinners workload to this point. The games are spaced out really comfortably so far this month. He now gets a 3 day rest until Tuesday. After the All-Star game it starts to get a little hairy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad