Player Discussion Stuart Skinner

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
So, Fat Stu as a few have referenced him as (235 lbs?) is now listed on capfriendly as 207lbs. I highly doubt he gas dropped 28 lbs in the last couple months.
Cannot always believe what you read, can you.

235 is not that big when you are 6.4 and you train everyday, maybe 10 lbs over what desirable.
Thomas played vezina level at 220 and he 5"11. Lenher played at very high level at 255 lb - 6"00.

I am the first one that is not convinced he the goalie I would trust for a cup run. But the weight thing is not really something to worry at.

Realistically speaking there not many playoff bound team who I wouldn't trade him 1:1 without hesitation. Philadelphia New Jersey in the east, LA in the west?

He got better recently trading water most night, even sometimes, like tonight, outdueling some opponents.

The reality is Edmonton gotta have to compensate for not having a star goaltender come playoffs time, but it is what it is and if he can be good enough, it might be just that... good enough.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The key will be not to wear him out again during the stretch run. Finishing 18-2 was nice, but not the end all. Plus, I'm hoping that a full year of training and maturity will allow Skinner to better withstand a long playoff run this time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The key will be not to wear him out again during the stretch run. Finishing 18-2 was nice, but not the end all. Plus, I'm hoping that a full year of training and maturity will allow Skinner to better withstand a long playoff run this time.
We need him ready for the playoffs not burned out before they start. Once this win streak ends I'd like to see Pickard get 2 of 3 games to give Stu some well deserved rest.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Using wayback machine, looks like capfriendly has been reporting Stu's weight as 207lbs since 2018...

Nhl.com is reporting it as 230lbs last I checked...
Tells you all you need to know about Soundwaves hate and bias

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We need him ready for the playoffs not burned out before they start. Once this win streak ends I'd like to see Pickard get 2 of 3 games to give Stu some well deserved rest.
I wonder if there aren't a couple tweaks waiting for the streak to end.

Although maybe it's just that this is the time of year that not much happens, as much as we want it to.

But I do think the team wants to do something in net. We can't just lean on Skinner. I believe it was Rob Brown who was saying that the org believes that Skinner was overused last year and burned out before playoffs.

I don't think Pickard is our #2. We have to find it still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Listening to the Bowness interview on 32 thoughts. Thought it was interesting that when Bowness was first hired in WPG, the first player he went and talked to was Hellebucyk, to ask him what he’s seeing out there and how they could change to make his life easier. Helly told him they were giving up too many Grade As, both in volume and quantity, there were too many chances directly in front of him, off rebounds and off the rush.

Hellbucyk went from a .910 goalie Pre-Bowness to a .920 goalie in Bowness’s first year. And now this year, sporting a .925 as the Jets continue to dial in their defensive game under Bowness.

Shows how even the Leagues’ elite goalies need complete team defence buy-in to perform at their best. I remain convinced that behind Knob defence, Skinner is GOOD ENOUGH.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Listening to the Bowness interview on 32 thoughts. Thought it was interesting that when Bowness was first hired in WPG, the first player he went and talked to was Hellebucyk, to ask him what he’s seeing out there and how they could change to make his life easier. Helly told him they were giving up too many Grade As, both in volume and quantity, there were too many chances directly in front of him, off rebounds and off the rush.

Hellbucyk went from a .910 goalie Pre-Bowness to a .920 goalie in Bowness’s first year. And now this year, sporting a .925 as the Jets continue to dial in their defensive game under Bowness.

Shows how even the Leagues’ elite goalies need complete team defence buy-in to perform at their best. I remain convinced that behind Knob defence, Skinner is GOOD ENOUGH.
Yes they def need team defence, he might be good enough, hell even Pickard might be good enough.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think more than anything Holland deserves credit. We shit on the guy every losing streak but he’s put together a legitimate cup contender. If campbell didn’t screw him over his track record with us would be almost flawless.
Campbell didnt screw Holland. Holland dropped the ball by signing Campbell.
That said he has made some very good decisions.
More good than bad.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Insane to say, but Skinner could end up in the top 5 for Vezina candidates.

Demko, Hellebuyck and Bobrovsky might be only guys better?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad